The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Malevolent Creation

5 posters

Go down

Malevolent Creation  Empty Malevolent Creation

Post by Pethead Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:42 pm

In my quest for more old school death metal, I figure I should investigate some Malevolent Creation. Three questions:

1. Any fans here?
2. What are their best albums?
3. How are the lyrics from a Christian perspective?
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Malevolent Creation  Empty Re: Malevolent Creation

Post by outofstep Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:52 pm

absolutely classic old school death metal!!!  My personal favorite album is the Ten Commandments.
outofstep
outofstep
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Pethead and TZ75 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:45 pm

Eternal is really good. Has a nice mid-90s blend of groove and thrash but doesn't sacrifice brutality in the least. A great death metal album!

Back to top Go down

Post by Contrarian Deist Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:27 pm

I'm a fan.
DM is my fave subgenre, and while Malevolent Creation aren't in my top 5, I do love em,
I only own a 20 some song best of by them(only songs from their first 3 albums) as well as owning *Doomsday X * and *Invidiuos Dominion*, and I have a *Stillborn* t-shirt. Such a bummer that Brett Hoffman died a couple years ago(R.I.P.)
An underrated death metal legend of a band!
I can't choose a best album though.

As regards your question #3, I can't really speak to it much as I'm not a Christian . But I can say they aren't like deicide or morbid angel level anti Christian , more middle of the road type of a band like say Obituary(subjecr matter wise). They focus more on sociopolitical stuff and just general hate/anger.
I do know they toured once or did a few shows with Christian death metal legends Crimson Thorn and both bands got along well and mentioned each other in each other's thank you lists in the liner notes on one album of each, I can't recall which one M.C. mentionec them in, but C.T. thanked M.C. in the thank you list on their album *Dissection*

Contrarian Deist
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:30 pm

Pethead wrote:In my quest for more old school death metal, I figure I should investigate some Malevolent Creation. Three questions:

1. Any fans here?
2. What are their best albums?
3. How are the lyrics from a Christian perspective?

1. Yes, I am. 

2. My favorites are: The Ten Commandments, Retribution and Envenomed

3. The lyrics are not satanic. They are more about violence, war and horror stories (the Brett Hoffmann albums). Brett didn’t go there...
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and Contrarian Deist like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Contrarian Deist Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:40 am

Here's a top 3
Retribution
The Ten Commandments
Invidious Dominion

Contrarian Deist
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and TZ75 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:32 pm

Thanks, guys! This was really helpful!
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

TZ75 and Contrarian Deist like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by xMetalMarkx Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:31 pm

I've been following them since I got their 1990 demo in trade alongside Monstrosity's Horror Infinity demo--great mail day!!  A couple of their songs assert the futility of religion but their lyrics are, like others already have said, nothing particularly aggravating/evil.  My personal favorites are probably The Will to Kill and Envenomed.  To my ears these have the meanest mixes (search out the remastered version of Envenomed for a more concussive low end) and best, vicious-yet-catchy songwriting, although the last couple of albums have killer mixes as well.  If you follow others' recommendations of The Ten Commandments and Retribution, you'd do well to experience the Hammerheart remaster of TTC, which I think does a lot to clear up the audio haze of the original version which previously limited my enjoyment of it.  Also, Retribution always gets props but I find it somewhat difficult to decipher what's going on riff-wise.  It could just be my ears?!

Additional cautions are that they've had 4 different vocalists on their albums--don't give up if you hear a vocalist you don't like--and that Joe Black was kind of a collection of leftovers from which you shouldn't form your opinion and which you should maybe save until last?

If you freak out about Retribution and just can't get enough, though, send me a PM!
xMetalMarkx
xMetalMarkx
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:50 pm

xMetalMarkx wrote:I've been following them since I got their 1990 demo in trade alongside Monstrosity's Horror Infinity demo--great mail day!!  A couple of their songs assert the futility of religion but their lyrics are, like others already have said, nothing particularly aggravating/evil.  My personal favorites are probably The Will to Kill and Envenomed.  To my ears these have the meanest mixes (search out the remastered version of Envenomed for a more concussive low end) and best, vicious-yet-catchy songwriting, although the last couple of albums have killer mixes as well.  If you follow others' recommendations of The Ten Commandments and Retribution, you'd do well to experience the Hammerheart remaster of TTC, which I think does a lot to clear up the audio haze of the original version which previously limited my enjoyment of it.  Also, Retribution always gets props but I find it somewhat difficult to decipher what's going on riff-wise.  It could just be my ears?!

Additional cautions are that they've had 4 different vocalists on their albums--don't give up if you hear a vocalist you don't like--and that Joe Black was kind of a collection of leftovers from which you shouldn't form your opinion and which you should maybe save until last?

If you freak out about Retribution and just can't get enough, though, send me a PM!
Excellent! Thanks!
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down