The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Testament - The Ritual

+2
Black Rider
heck
6 posters

Go down

Testament - The Ritual Empty Testament - The Ritual

Post by heck Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:45 pm

During the glory days of metal, there were so many good albums it was impossible to keep up with everything.  Now that music I like is harder to find, I am going back to see what I missed back in the day.

Enter Testament’s The Ritual.

Wow what an album. Metallica had released the Black album in 1991. While many people thought they had sold out a little bit, that still was a metal album. And it sounded magnificent. The following year Testament rolled out what I think was an even better combination of thrash, metal, melody, and excellent songwriting. The meanest looking metal vocalist, Chuck Billy, sounds every bit as good as Hetfield in this album.  The Ritual has stand out songs, of course, but every single track is strong. I have listened to the record about six or seven times over and I remain very impressed.  My only complaint might be that for a band that hates religion, they sure seem to spend a lot of time talking about it. As I listen to the songs, I like to think of them as a cry for help, a search for something more.  My iTunes app claims that their first album is essential, but I think this one is their absolute best.

I highly recommend it.

heck
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Contrarian Deist likes this post

Back to top Go down

Testament - The Ritual Empty Re: Testament - The Ritual

Post by Black Rider Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:48 pm

I wouldn't say it's their best, Practice What You Preach gets that nod from me but I really enjoy The Ritual and think Return to Serenity is the perfect thrash ballad. 
I don't think they hate religion, Chuck is Catholic or was, but they get hung up on the hypocrisy of so many.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:15 pm

Honestly could not get into this album aside from "Return To Serenity."
I remember trying about 6 months ago, might try again some day.

One album of theirs that gets no love - that I think is really good - is "Souls Of Black."   
The title track and "The Legacy" are great, as are "Seven Days Of May" and "Face In The Sky."

I still will always regard the 1st album as their absolute best though. Cool
It's just one of my favorite metal albums, period.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:22 pm

Constantine wrote:Honestly could not get into this album aside from "Return To Serenity."
I remember trying about 6 months ago, might try again some day.

One album of theirs that gets no love - that I think is really good - is "Souls Of Black."   
The title track and "The Legacy" are great, as are "Seven Days Of May" and "Face In The Sky."

I still will always regard the 1st album as their absolute best though. Cool
It's just one of my favorite metal albums, period.

"Souls" is actually my personal favorite Testament album. Their first 5 albums are glorious.

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:07 pm

Souls is hit and miss but the songs you listed are good enough to make it worth having.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by heck Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:34 pm

I’ll give their first couple of albums another listen.  They are pretty raw and seem to have a lot of filler material.  When I want raw thrash and need every song to be great, I still place Kill ‘Em All in my turntable!

heck
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Testament - The Ritual Empty Good album. I like *new order* more

Post by Contrarian Deist Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:51 pm

heck wrote:During the glory days of metal, there were so many good albums it was impossible to keep up with everything.  Now that music I like is harder to find, I am going back to see what I missed back in the day.

Enter Testament’s The Ritual.

Wow what an album. Metallica had released the Black album in 1991. While many people thought they had sold out a little bit, that still was a metal album. And it sounded magnificent. The following year Testament rolled out what I think was an even better combination of thrash, metal, melody, and excellent songwriting. The meanest looking metal vocalist, Chuck Billy, sounds every bit as good as Hetfield in this album.  The Ritual has stand out songs, of course, but every single track is strong. I have listened to the record about six or seven times over and I remain very impressed.  My only complaint might be that for a band that hates religion, they sure seem to spend a lot of time talking about it. As I listen to the songs, I like to think of them as a cry for help, a search for something more.  My iTunes app claims that their first album is essential, but I think this one is their absolute best.

I highly recommend it.

Testament is my favorite thrash band of all time, close seconded by Overkill, and Forbidden. All of whom should become as big or bigger than Metallica, megadeth, and slayer- all 3 whom I also love.
My personal fave Testament album in *the new order*, just love the foreboding atmosphere of the album and its prophetic lyrics. Chuck Billy is a vocal god, his range is unbelievable, and still to this day, and the band to this day is one of a handful that just keep on delivering a d getting better and better with age(test and overkill I would say are the reigning gods 9f thrash while most other thrash godfathers have faded or become *less than* in various ways).
LONG LIVE TESTAMENT!

Contrarian Deist
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Testament - The Ritual Empty You may have Chuck confused with Tom Araya

Post by Contrarian Deist Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:54 pm

Black Rider wrote:I wouldn't say it's their best, Practice What You Preach gets that nod from me but I really enjoy The Ritual and think Return to Serenity is the perfect thrash ballad. 
I don't think they hate religion, Chuck is Catholic or was, but they get hung up on the hypocrisy of so many.

I dont think Chuck is catholic, you may have him confused with Tom Araya of Slayer. Chucks more into his native american traditional beliefs and culture (though I think he is open to aspects of some other religions including some aspects of christianity).

Contrarian Deist
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:11 pm

I think he used to be and it shows up in a couple songs but maybe I am confusing him with someone else. Happens when you hit your 50s.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Testament - The Ritual Empty Welcome to mid-age

Post by Contrarian Deist Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:18 pm

Black Rider wrote:I think he used to be and it shows up in a couple songs but maybe I am confusing him with someone else. Happens when you hit your 50s.

I'm in my early 40s and I already get confused too, lol! Happens when you hit mid-age, hehehe! Cheers.

Contrarian Deist
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:08 pm

Contrarian Deist wrote:
Black Rider wrote:I wouldn't say it's their best, Practice What You Preach gets that nod from me but I really enjoy The Ritual and think Return to Serenity is the perfect thrash ballad. 

I dont think Chuck is catholic,  you may have him confused with Tom Araya of Slayer. Chucks more into his native american traditional beliefs and culture (though I think he is open to aspects of some other religions including some aspects of christianity).
Chuck has said that he was raised Catholic. He embraced his native roots when he looked to it for cancer treatment.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:23 am

The Ritual is great, especially Electric Crown. Practice What You Preach is my favorite from them, but I don't dislike any Testament album. One of my favorite thrash bands!
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down