The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Tourniquet compilation: "The Slow Cosmic Voyage To Wisdom" (official name)

+14
eatbugs
bodachi
Black Rider
Tourniguy
Airola
Lex Metalis
Bahana
deathisgain
grandeped
Ted Kirkpatrick
Kerrick
TZ75
BaleMaster
Ammocas
18 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

New Tourniquet compilation: "The Slow Cosmic Voyage To Wisdom" (official name) Empty New Tourniquet compilation: "The Slow Cosmic Voyage To Wisdom" (official name)

Post by Lex Metalis Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:43 am

New Tourniquet compilation: "The Slow Cosmic Voyage To Wisdom" (official name) 107889040_10158303966138467_8744637538720085086_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=_i9kFY41l2EAX_80cXj&_nc_ht=scontent.fcaw3-1

Due to the popularity of the recently released “EPIC TRACKS”, and while we’re preparing for the next full length Tourniquet album (which promises to be crazy) for release in 2021– we’ve got something really cool coming out very soon: a CD featuring the slow doomy tracks – including a new 25 minute ultra-heavy atmospheric “drone” track, a first for the entire Christian industry. The fantastic cover art and album title will be revealed this coming Monday, July 13!

source: https://www.facebook.com/56372703466/photos/a.64914458466/10158303966133467/?type=3&theater

Last edited by LexMetalis on Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Lex Metalis
Lex Metalis
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

New Tourniquet compilation: "The Slow Cosmic Voyage To Wisdom" (official name) Empty Re: New Tourniquet compilation: "The Slow Cosmic Voyage To Wisdom" (official name)

Post by TZ75 Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:38 pm

I’m into it! 

“Officium Defunctorum” from Psycho Surgery was Tourniquet’s first and (as far as I know), only true Doom song. It’s obviously a nod to Ted’s former band Trouble. In the last ten years, Ted has dabbled more into the “stoner” fuzz sound with his Sabbath tribute etc (which I really liked).
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

New Tourniquet compilation: "The Slow Cosmic Voyage To Wisdom" (official name) Empty Re: New Tourniquet compilation: "The Slow Cosmic Voyage To Wisdom" (official name)

Post by Lex Metalis Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:40 pm

TZ75 wrote:I’m into it! 

“Officium Defunctorum” from Psycho Surgery was Tourniquet’s first and (as far as I know), only true Doom song. It’s obviously a nod to Ted’s former band Trouble. In the last ten years, Ted has dabbled more into the “stoner” fuzz sound with his Sabbath tribute etc (which I really liked).

"In Death We Rise", with "loud" vocals will be on the compilation too...
Lex Metalis
Lex Metalis
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:25 pm

This is awesome!

I suggested a Doom Tracks compilation to Ted and suggested he should make a surprise track that's the FASTEST track he's ever done (quite like on Acoustic Archives there was a super heavy non-acoustic bonus track), but I'll more than gladly take a new 25 minute drone track instead! Very Happy

My ego would like to think that my suggestion had something to do with going forward with this, lol!
But I would assume he either already had the idea and he's had this idea brought to him by so many others that he felt it's good to do it.

Anyway I'm really waiting to hear the new track! I love Ode to a Roadkill and I've always loved In Death We Rise.

So, which songs will be included?

My choices:
In Death We Rise (this is already confirmed)
Officium Defunctorum
Gelatinous Tubercles of Purulent Ossification
Sola Christus
Going, Going... Gone (maybe... it's not as slow as the others but is maybe doomy and heavy enough)
Carried Away on Uncertain Wings
Memento Mori

Those songs plus the 25 minute track would make the album about 64 minutes long so there would be around 12 minutes time left.
Maybe add Servant of the Bones (about 5 minutes), and..... uh.... Imaginary Friend (4 minutes), maybe?

Hard to say what Ted and Aaron would think are 'doomy' tracks.
But to me it would be essential to include In Death We Rise, Officium Defunctorum and Sola Christus on it. Those are the three doomiest tracks on Tourniquet catalog. Gelatinous Tubercles, Carried Away and Memento Mori would be very safe picks too.

EDIT:
It's really cool to get the loud vox version of In Death We Rise on a CD. That version only available digitally right now so it being included in a physical release will be great.

Airola
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Metalis Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:34 pm

I think that only Ted compositions will appear on the compilation, like was in The Epic Tracks cd
Lex Metalis
Lex Metalis
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:48 pm

LexMetalis wrote:I think that only Ted compositions will appear on the compilation, like was in The Epic Tracks cd

Then the CD will be relatively short.
On The Epic Tracks at least Tourniquet had already enough songs to probably fill two albums with them so that getting only Ted tracks is at the very least understandable (even though I still think Harlot Widow should've been in it).

With slow doomy tracks there's not that many to pick from. Besides, Officium Defunctorum is credited as a Lenaire/Kirkpatrick song so there's that, lol!

Last edited by Airola on Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Airola
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:50 pm

I don’t get the “only Ted tracks” thing... 

He played drums on every Tourniquet song and has the right to use the songs. It’s not like the royalties should be an issue because album sales don’t make much. Maybe it’s his ego... but that doesn’t stop him from playing the Lenaire and Ritter songs in concert.

Officium Defunctorum is a must! 

It’s their only true doom song (imo). It has a strong early Trouble influence.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:29 pm

TZ75 wrote:I don’t get the “only Ted tracks” thing... 

He played drums on every Tourniquet song and has the right to use the songs. It’s not like the royalties should be an issue because album sales don’t make much. Maybe it’s his ego... but that doesn’t stop him from playing the Lenaire and Ritter songs in concert.

Officium Defunctorum is a must! 

It’s their only true doom song (imo). It has a strong early Trouble influence.

I think some people are just bummed The Epic Tracks didn't have Harlot Widow or Tears of Korah in it. Those are pretty much the only non-Kirkpatrick songs that could be considered epic in a sense that fits to that compilation. In my opinion it was understandable considered how many minutes of epic stuff Tourniquet has, how little of that can be fit in 76 minutes and how small amount of those epic songs were written by Lenaire or someone else. And obviously even if there were more epic songs by other writers it's his and Aaron's call what songs should be there.

Officium Defunctorum is their first doom song and I think it's their best doom song too (it's a fantastic song in general regardless of genre even), but I think In Death We Rise is their doomiest song by far, no contest. Sola Christus is their third most doomy song. The rest are debatable I think.

Anyway, I have a hunch that the album title will give context to the song choices. Having an album called "The Doom Tracks" would give certain expectations that I think Tourniquet's catalog wouldn't be able to fill a full CD with, but if the title is something like "Mammoth Steps in the Valley of Death" the CD could be easier to fill as now instead of actual "doom" genre a bigger variety of slower and heavier songs would fit to the album.

Airola
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Metalis Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:13 pm

It's because The Epic Tracks only have tracks composed by Ted...
Lex Metalis
Lex Metalis
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:49 pm

LexMetalis wrote:

So let's hear which songs should've been in that album and which songs should've been removed to make space for them. How many epic Gary songs there are? Guy songs? Victor songs? Aaron songs?

I personally think that Harlot Widow should've been there. But I also think Drawn & Quartered (which is a "Ted song") should've been there too. But I have really hard time to figure out which songs should've been removed from the album to have those in.

Remember that the album was completely filled with no minutes to spare. So if you want something in, something has to be taken away and it has to be lengthy enough removal too.

Airola
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:50 pm

LexMetalis wrote:

That’s not what I’m getting at. I’m talking about this doom collection thing. Will it just be songs written by Ted? That’s fine, but what if there was a song not written by him. Would it not be included? Maybe a “Tourni-cover” of Trouble or Sabbath?
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:01 pm

One disc is too limited. An epic tracks collection needs to go as epic as possible! Then you could’ve added Harlot Widow and Tears of Korah (imagine those with Ripper’s vocals!) and maybe a few covers and live tracks. If you’re gonna do a commemorative collection, throw in all the bells and whistles! Cool

Nothing can replace Guy Ritter’s work, but I actually wouldn’t mind hearing Ted use Ripper to do an updated reboot of the STB album. Ripper’s voice is perfect for that style!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:10 pm

TZ75 wrote:One disc is too limited. An epic tracks collection needs to go as epic as possible! Then you could’ve added Harlot Widow and Tears of Korah (imagine those with Ripper’s vocals!) and maybe a few covers and live tracks. If you’re gonna do a commemorative collection, throw in all the bells and whistles! Cool

Nothing can replace Guy Ritter’s work, but I actually wouldn’t mind hearing Ted use Ripper to do an updated reboot of the STB album. Ripper’s voice is perfect for that style!
I agree with everything you say and suggest until you said you wouldn’t mind hearing Ted use Ripper to do a reboot of the STB album.
Why mess with perfection? That first album was their best and and is a classic! It doesn’t need Ripper or anyone else to redo or reboot the vocals. Sorry, but I respectfully disagree.
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:07 am

Ammocas wrote:
TZ75 wrote:One disc is too limited. An epic tracks collection needs to go as epic as possible! Then you could’ve added Harlot Widow and Tears of Korah (imagine those with Ripper’s vocals!) and maybe a few covers and live tracks. If you’re gonna do a commemorative collection, throw in all the bells and whistles! Cool

I agree with everything you say and suggest until you said you wouldn’t mind hearing Ted use Ripper to do a reboot of the STB album.
Why mess with perfection? That first album was their best and and is a classic! It doesn’t need Ripper or anyone else to redo or reboot the vocals. Sorry, but I respectfully disagree.

I did say nothing can replace Guy Ritter’s work. Trust me, I’m a huge Ritter fan! I just thought it could be cool to hear a “re-imagined” version of STB. Not an exact replica. But don’t worry, I highly doubt it would happen... But it is possible Ted could use Ripper to cover a couple songs from STB as special bonus tracks for a compilation.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:37 pm

^ Yeah, I could definitely go for some bonus tracks on a compilation album with Tim’s vocals as an alternate version....just not a whole STB redone with his vocals...while it might sound good, I just think STB is a special album not to be messed with.🎸
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Metalis Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:40 am

New Tourniquet compilation: "The Slow Cosmic Voyage To Wisdom" (official name) 107564691_10158419858780011_3764741583719661116_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=TYxiHfVJUKAAX-BkPIl&_nc_ht=scontent.fcaw3-1

"Behold the cover art for the upcoming Tourniquet release “THE SLOW COSMIC VOYAGE TO WISDOM”. Due to the popularity of the recent “EPIC TRACKS” release, and while we’re preparing the next full length Tourniquet album (which promises to be crazy) for 2021, we’re releasing this crushing CD featuring the slow doomy tracks and cover art by artist Derek Sheyer. The release includes a new 25 minute ultra-heavy atmospheric “drone” track, a first for the entire Christian industry. Full track list, preorder, and release date will be posted this Wednesday, July 15!"
Lex Metalis
Lex Metalis
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by BaleMaster Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:39 pm

Groovy, myan!  afro
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Ted Kirkpatrick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:03 pm

Cool artwork! 

Psychedelic Surgery! lol!

I’m sure Ted will get some questions about how an LSD acid trip relates to a Christian message. Also, the Buddhist/Hindu style “mind’s eye” directly under the logo is a curiosity...
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Ted Kirkpatrick and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:23 pm

If Warrel Dane from Nevermore was still around, he would’ve loved this artwork. It also reminds me of the Manic Frustration and Plastic Green Head era of Trouble.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Ted Kirkpatrick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:30 pm

LexMetalis wrote:"...The release includes a new 25 minute ultra-heavy atmospheric “drone” track, a first for the entire Christian industry.

Faithless Minutes Devoured and Within The Torn Apart might beg to differ.  Smile  But yeah, there's certainly not much in the way of Christian drone/doom (that I'm aware of, anyways).

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Ted Kirkpatrick Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:37 pm

Kerrick wrote:
LexMetalis wrote:"...The release includes a new 25 minute ultra-heavy atmospheric “drone” track, a first for the entire Christian industry.

Faithless Minutes Devoured and Within The Torn Apart might beg to differ.  Smile  But yeah, there's certainly not much in the way of Christian drone/doom (that I'm aware of, anyways).

Hey Kerrick - Checked out Faithless - doom metal for sure. Not drone at all... And could not find anything on Within... Drone is way different - Sunn O))) is a great example of true drone music.

Ted Kirkpatrick
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:52 pm

Right on.  Faithless Minutes Devoured mixes funeral doom with drone.  Some of their songs are all/mostly doom, others all/mostly drone but I'd consider them more on the doom side too.

You can listen to some Within The Torn Apart here, though I think they have more releases than just these:
https://withinthetornapart.bandcamp.com/

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by grandeped Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:42 pm

I think Ted is referring to drone metal and not true drone music which has been around for centuries and sounds nothing like “Officium Defunctorum.” There have been dozens of Christian drone bands through the years, but as far as the fusion of drone and metal, not so much. I always thought Paramaecium had several songs like “Officium Defunctorum.”

grandeped
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:55 pm

I’m no expert, but I imagine “drone” music is similar to bands like Sunn and Sleep.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:27 pm

Anybody remember the album "Ode to a Roadkill" that Ted put out? It had doomy vibes.
https://tourniquet.bandcamp.com/album/ode-to-a-roadkill

Last edited by deathisgain on Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next