The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Couple of new tunes working on during Covid hibernation.

3 posters

Go down

Couple of new tunes working on during Covid hibernation.  Empty Couple of new tunes working on during Covid hibernation.

Post by guitarhoops Tue May 12, 2020 11:19 pm

While being off of work because of Covid I have been writing. Working on another E.P. I have a couple of songs that do not fit the style and flow of the E.P. So they are still in the works but I thought I would share them. Two songs on my Soundcloud page called 'Through the storm' and 'On the run". Let me know what you think. Very Happy

https://soundcloud.com/user-896244381
guitarhoops
guitarhoops
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

http://www.unforsaken.ca/Jon/launchpage.html

Back to top Go down

Couple of new tunes working on during Covid hibernation.  Empty Re: Couple of new tunes working on during Covid hibernation.

Post by Deadpool Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:26 pm

Hi Jon, I'm just discovering this now.

I 'd like to share some thoughts about your stuff since you seemed to be looking for opinions.

First off, after listening to several tracks on your Soundcloud page, I think that you've got some really fantastic ideas there. I heard a lot of riffs that I really liked. Great tones.

Also, your lead work was exceptional because it has both a very strong melodic sense, and a powerful shred factor. 

I thought that the production, too, was very listenable and mixed well, particularly on the newer stuff. Is that a human drummer on Cosmic Voyage? Sounds like it could be, or it's really well programmed. 

On the critical side, my biggest suggestion would be to really seek out others to collaborate with. I'm guessing that you're working with drum loops or tracks. I can really hear the singularity in these, and what I'm not hearing is much diversity within the songs themselves. Each piece seems to revolve around 1 to2 riffs that just recycle back and forth to provide a ground base for the lead work. This is ok, but when a piece is running even 3-4 minutes, particularly at some of these the mid-tempos it begins to dull the listener into wanting to forward to another track fairly quickly.

Collaboration with another guitarist / writer and then playing with a live drummer (drum machines don't stop, or get interesting with dynamics, they just robot on until the end typically) could really stir what's here into some killer songs. They just need to go more places within each piece to keep the song moving forward and more engaging. Some outside ideas from a secondary writer and drummer could really enhance these really cool ideas that you have laid down. It's just that they don't feel like actual songs---more like great riff ideas that would sound amazing in a lyric--based song. 

Then, if you throw a hot vocalist with good melody and smart lyrics on top of it all (again, collaborative), now you've got some smokin' hot tracks. 

So to sum up, all very strong stuff here. I think that the age of the instrumental guitar hero has long passed though. The masses want actual sing-along songs. 

Frankenstein some of these concepts together along with some additional input from other metal musicians, and you can easily get out of the man cave and onto stages and heard more broadly I believe. If that's a goal that is. 

Favorite track (believe it or not):   "Heavy rough idea for a song in the works." Powerful stuff all the way through.

Deadpool
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Couple of new tunes working on during Covid hibernation.  Empty Re: Couple of new tunes working on during Covid hibernation.

Post by guitarhoops Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:47 am

Thank you Deadpool. I agree with what you have said. Those two songs I have set aside for now. I am working currently with a real drummer. Those were a couple of song ideas and the drums were done with the program EZ Drummer. I have also posted about collaboration here at the Realm with no success. I have since released an EP and I am working on other stuff at present time. Thank you once again for your advice.

Jon Hooper's Office Website
guitarhoops
guitarhoops
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Deadpool likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:34 pm

I really like the Through The Storm idea.  It has a doom metal vibe to it.  Instead of an instrumental, though, it needs lyrics and singer that is reminiscent of Ronnie James Dio.  Sadly, I don't have that type of voice.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Deadpool likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guitarhoops Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:14 am

Thank you Alldat. Smile
guitarhoops
guitarhoops
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down