The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Preferred English Bible Translation?

+20
nocturnaliridescence
Sevenoneself
Ammocas
scottmitchell74
Theonymic
Pethead
Staybrite
BaleMaster
jeffcorpse
guitarhoops
TZ75
Frozen Fire
Hidgxx
Kerrick
deathisgain
alldatndensum
Grindboy
eatbugs
Constantine
CrimsonWarrior
24 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Preferred English Bible Translation?

Preferred English Bible Translation? - Page 3 I_vote_lcap16%Preferred English Bible Translation? - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 16% 
[ 5 ]
Preferred English Bible Translation? - Page 3 I_vote_lcap16%Preferred English Bible Translation? - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 16% 
[ 5 ]
Preferred English Bible Translation? - Page 3 I_vote_lcap3%Preferred English Bible Translation? - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
[ 5 ]
Preferred English Bible Translation? - Page 3 I_vote_lcap9%Preferred English Bible Translation? - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 9% 
[ 3 ]
Preferred English Bible Translation? - Page 3 I_vote_lcap19%Preferred English Bible Translation? - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 19% 
[ 6 ]
Preferred English Bible Translation? - Page 3 I_vote_lcap13%Preferred English Bible Translation? - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 13% 
[ 4 ]
Preferred English Bible Translation? - Page 3 I_vote_lcap0%Preferred English Bible Translation? - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Preferred English Bible Translation? - Page 3 I_vote_lcap8%Preferred English Bible Translation? - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 8% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 32

Preferred English Bible Translation? - Page 3 Empty Re: Preferred English Bible Translation?

Post by CrimsonWarrior Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:32 pm

TheDoctor394 wrote:For those who object to copyright, just to point out that the KJV is also copyrighted, in a sense, in the UK, as it was from the beginning under Letters Patent.  It's not exactly the same as copyright as we understand it normally, but is certainly along those lines.  Wikipedia has a brief account of its history as well as this statement from Cambridge.

Cambridge - King James Version

[ltr]Rights in The Authorized Version of the Bible (King James Bible) in the United Kingdom are vested in the Crown and administered by the Crown’s patentee, Cambridge University Press. The reproduction by any means of the text of the King James Version is permitted to a maximum of five hundred (500) verses for liturgical and non-commercial educational use, provided that the verses quoted neither amount to a complete book of the Bible nor represent 25 per cent or more of the total text of the work in which they are quoted, subject to the following acknowledgement being included:[/ltr]

[ltr]Scripture quotations from The Authorized (King James) Version. Rights in the Authorized Version in the United Kingdom are vested in the Crown. Reproduced by permission of the Crown’s patentee, Cambridge University Press,[/ltr]

This also is ridiculous, but thankfully the rest of the world can print and distribute the KJV without restrictions.
CrimsonWarrior
CrimsonWarrior
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Preferred English Bible Translation? - Page 3 Empty Re: Preferred English Bible Translation?

Post by Seth Dusith Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:28 pm

KJV. To me, it's just what I've grown to know as "biblical", in its style of writing and everything. It had me googling a lot of definitions at first, but I enjoy the writing style
Seth Dusith
Seth Dusith
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

CrimsonWarrior and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Theonymic Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:13 pm

Sevenoneself wrote:
I've got a bit of a thing against the ESV right now. From what I've read, they've purposely translated some passages to favor complementarianism. I feel like they should just translate the Bible and let it speak for itself!
Translation from one language to another always involves a level of interpretation.

Theonymic
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:06 pm

I have a small pocket Bible of the Holman translation (HCSB). It’s kind of cool in that it tells you where and if a verse was omitted.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:02 pm

CrimsonWarrior wrote:Andreas, do Christians in the Netherlands still use the Statenvertaling, or is there something else that is more common?
That translation is still in use, my dad for instance won't have any other translation. There are some (borderline) hyper calvinist denominations that still use it dogmatically and there are churches within my own denomination that use it. But among lots of reformed people the Herziene (revised) Statenvertaling is popular. I love it as well, it doesn't dumb down the meaning of the original language too much but it also mostly avoids unnecessarily complicated language.

There's also something called the New Bible Translation that is very popular, it's more down-to-earth so to speak but it requires more interpretation. And as you may have guessed, that interpretation is done by mostly liberal leaning translators. The latest edition in 2020 (I think) sparked controversy because of the forced gender neutral language.
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

CrimsonWarrior likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Fundy Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:28 am

I like the NIV the most, but that's purely because that's what I grew up using.  I have the KJV on my phone (because it's a nice app, and it's free).
Fundy
Fundy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/

Staybrite likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3