The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will 2020 Produce Stryper's Best Album?

+9
TZ75
Rockrz
Constantine
Soldier777
Black Rider
Temple of Blood
Follower of Jesus
eatbugs
Guitar Noir
13 posters

Go down

Will 2020 Produce Stryper's Best Album? Empty Will 2020 Produce Stryper's Best Album?

Post by Guitar Noir Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:54 pm

Latest blog post with a few thoughts on Stryper's  upcoming album, as well as their recent releases. 

https://shadesofnoirsite.wordpress.com/2020/02/16/will-2020-be-strypers-best-year/
Guitar Noir
Guitar Noir
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

https://shadesofnoirsite.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Will 2020 Produce Stryper's Best Album? Empty Re: Will 2020 Produce Stryper's Best Album?

Post by eatbugs Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:51 am

Good read.

"Best" is going to be tough by Stryper standards.  I actually think the last three were SLIGHTLY trending downward.  No More Hell To Pay is (IMO) their most solid album, with Fallen slightly behind it and GDE another step behind that.  I sill go with To Hell With the Devil as my favorite.  For me Stryper is one of those bands where a "bad" album is still very good by most standards.

I am very excited to hear what Perry Richardson can do for the band.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Will 2020 Produce Stryper's Best Album? Empty Re: Will 2020 Produce Stryper's Best Album?

Post by Follower of Jesus Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:58 am

I think Fallen is my favorite Stryper album. I couldn't agree with Troy more on the quality of that album. GDE left me a bit cold. I was on the side of not really caring for Take It To The Cross, even though I liked the lyrics. The rest of the album just seemed boring to me. I can't explain it. I felt like I'd heard it before. The exception is the closing barnburner track "The Devil Doesn't Live Here". That is an awesome song!

I'm looking forward to what Perry Richardson brings, and not just his bass lines. He is a good songwriter too, and may add some things to Stryper that they've never had before. Also, he's a really good singer, so the background vocals could have a different sound (in a positive way). I'm anxious to hear the new album!
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:20 am

Every metal band has said this with their upcoming album and virtually none have done it past 1990!
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:34 am

Best? Doubt it but they can still make good music. I agree with eatbugs, they are trending down and need to do something to bring it back up.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:11 pm

Since they regrouped in 2003 as a trial basis and on a permanent bases on 2004/05, I find their releases have gotten better since the transitional album Murder by Pride in 2009. However I find they aren't declining since No More Hell to Pay in 2013 but are at a plateau. I find the last 3 albums are equally good and the production of Fallen and GDE are equally better. I also find there is always 1-3 songs on Stryper albums that are somewhat annoying or ok/nothing great such as Sea of Thieves and Own Up on GDE, Saved By Love, The One and Te Amo on No More Hell to Pay.

I'd like for this album to have as similar production and to go further to go beyond the last 3 and have more of a kick to the song writing. Hopefully the title won't be as controversial ad GDE but will cause attention like the titles of their previous albums.
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:30 pm

The last 3 albums have had some great songs and some really good production.
Maybe by Stryper standards they have not produced another THWTD, but I think that in general they are producing some good quality music, and the musicianship is outstanding.  

Have you heard other "regrouped" albums from bands of the same era?   The vast majority don't even compare to what Stryper and Michael Sweet are putting out.

And this is coming from a very casual Stryper listener, I am not a big listener of the band and never have been.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:12 pm

I seriously doubt that 2020s will see a Stryper album that quality wise surprasses some of their past works... Me personally it dont get better than Soldiers Under Command, but since they got back together in 2003 their best IMO was Murder  by Pride   No more Hell to Pay and Fallen to me sound the same and it was here i stopped being a fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockrz Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:47 am

Maybe, if they can get a new singer! Shocked

Sorry, I never really liked Michael's voice, although I did like More than a Man, and to heLL with the devil.

I mean, who wouldn't like a song about the devil going to heLL where he belongs ???
Rockrz
Rockrz
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:16 am

If the next one is as good as Michael Sweet’s solo album “Ten”, it may indeed be the best. But as of now, Soldiers Under Command is the best imo.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:55 am

TZ75 wrote:If the next one is as good as Michael Sweet’s solo album “Ten”, it may indeed be the best. But as of now, Soldiers Under Command is the best imo.
You took the words right out of my mouth....”Honestly!”
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:06 am

TZ75 wrote:If the next one is as good as Michael Sweet’s solo album “Ten”, it may indeed be the best. But as of now, Soldiers Under Command is the best imo.

I also have to agree with this  "Ten" for me has been Michael's shining moment as a songwriter.  There was not a weak track on the album.  Hopefully, he will put that much effort into the new album and let Perry help him take these new songs to new levels.  This could tie or surpass those early albums.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by /< Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:24 am

Of course, a band's "greatest release" is relative, according to the listener.  There's no right or wrong answers to be had.  That said, here are my thoughts, pertaining to the Stryper canon:  The last three albums have been very good... They are "top shelf" Stryper albums for me.  I personally feel that the last three releases have bested what many consider to be the band's landmark album, THWTD.  I don't really feel that THWTD has aged all that well and, frankly, some of the songs are weak... in my opinion.  Some examples would be:  Honestly with it's saccharine keyboards, All of Me which is even worse and just doesn't mesh with the rest of the album, Rockin' the World  and Holdin' on, of which neither possess a great hook, making them seem like filler, and Calling On You is marginal pop-metal, becoming the blueprint for the subsequent album, IGWT.  To be certain: THWTD (song), Free, The Way, More than a Man and Sing-A-Long Song were shining moments to my ears, anyway.

The original six-song YABA EP was such a strong release as was SUC.  Both scored a ten in my book.  ATL was a barn-burner of an album, musically.  Many disliked the lyrical content due to perceived lack of overt "Christian" references, yet the "Christian" thread was still there, coursing through each track.  ATL was a ten for me.  NMHTP, Fallen and GDE also scored tens as did Second Coming.  I found Second Coming to be a worthy purchase as 1) For the most part it stayed true to the original recordings, 2) The SUC songs received the bass/low-end that was missing from the originals, 3) It helped get the band back on track with their classic sound (vocal and lead guitar harmonies), thus propelling them to their next album, NMHTP, and 4) Bleeding from Inside Out and Blackened were worthy new additions.

Will Stryper's next album be their best?  Only each listener can make that call.  I, personally, believe that Stryper is on a roll: a hard-charging course of great rock and roll.
/<
/<
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

https://www.reverbnation.com/narrowroadband

Back to top Go down

Post by cailen Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:15 pm

I also vote for "Ten" as the best Stryper album Wink together
with "No more hell to pay" since IGWT.

If he is still in that mood during songwriting process he will be able to write the best...
cailen
cailen
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar Noir Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:13 pm

cailen wrote:

If he is still in that mood during songwriting process he will be able to write the best...
That is the hope!
Guitar Noir
Guitar Noir
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

https://shadesofnoirsite.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down