The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anybody here barbeque?

+6
Guenther321
oldschooldoom
Pro-Zak
Staybrite
MikeInFla
Athonite
10 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Anybody here barbeque? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anybody here barbeque?

Post by Grindboy Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:22 pm

Pork was an awesome disaster.  For starters, my dual-probe thermometer fell in the snow and got wet, and was out of commission for several hours, so I didn't have reliable temp guides.  And the new smoker is for sure better in many ways, but it takes some learning and I made a couple mistakes.  So the flavor turned out fantastic as usual, but it was about 14 hours.  Then, after only feeding myself and my son one meal, I put it all in a crock pot for the work party.  Walking in I dropped it, killed our very nice electronic crock pot and lost probably over half the pork.  Devastating!  That said, people in New England don't know barbeque at ALL, and what was left was a huge hit.  Most of them have never tasted anything really like it, and the flavor really is unbelievable, I'm still amazed every time myself.

Ribs sure look good -- I'm not a huge rib guy, and feel like they're a lot of work and money for not that much food, but I did some once for my family.  My wife especially thought they were awesome, so I'm sure I'll do them again sometime.  I used 3-2-1 also.

And, in the friendliest possible way, screw you and your 68 degrees!!!

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:42 pm

Grindboy wrote:...

lol!  (I was thinking the same thing). Rolf 1
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:12 pm

Grindboy wrote:

Oh yeah, 68 was terrible! Today it is much better at 75  Twisted Evil

Sorry for the loss of your crockpot. May it rest in pieces. Very Happy

Last edited by MikeInFla on Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pro-Zak Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:54 pm

You mean like put bbq sauce on something? If so, sure!
Pro-Zak
Pro-Zak
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:07 pm

Today I am doing a pork shoulder and will make it into pulled pork. I have no idea what I am doing so not sure how it will turn out. I estimate this will take 6 to 8 hours. It came with skin still on a portion. Wasn't sure if I should leave it or cut it off so I went ahead and just cut it off. Using fruit pellets today, a blend of cherry, apple & maple.

Last edited by MikeInFla on Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:20 pm

Yeah!  It's going to be awesome!  I get amazing flavor from combination of cherry and apple, it's my favorite so far.  The real key is just waiting for the internal temp to get high enough -- I shoot for 203.  It makes ALL the difference.  It's likely to stall at around 165 for a couple/few hours, but if you wrap it in foil at 165 the bark won't be crispy/crunchy but it won't stall.

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:03 pm

That's my plan. About 5.5 hours in and sitting at 145. Once it hits 165 I plan to wrap it and wait. Will make a video when I'm finished. I seem to be stalled out on 145 but I have the pellet grill at 225. Will go to 250 when I wrap it up
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:06 am

MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:00 pm

Oh man Mike that looks fantastic!
First time I made a brisket (on a gas grill, not a smoker).  I underestimated how long it would take and we had to order a pizza for dinner at around 8pm and eat the brisket the next night for dinner.

Loved the side trip to Winn Dixie (haven't been to a Winn Dixie since I lived in N.C., about 30 years ago).  Sad to see there is still so much hurricane damage, but cool to see some video from your part of the world.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:42 pm

It always takes me longer than I expect, too.  I'm hoping my new better smoker will help with that, but only tried once so far.

There are 1,000 different ways to do pork for sure, but basically everything I've done has come out at least good, and REALLY good every time that I get it up to 200 degrees.  I have the level of smokiness vary as well, and am not sure why.  But it seems to be better and smokier the next day -- maybe just because I've been in it/smelling it all day?  I don't know.  But even with minimal smoke it should be good!

My favorite part of the video was pulling up to the supermarket, there are like 6 cars in the whole lot, and homeboy's all "Oh, get the first spot, otherwise we'll have to walk, like, an extra 12 feet!"  (Are we friendly enough that I can make fun of you?  Ha ha I hope so!)

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:04 pm

Yeah that's what we do here! Make fun of each other. We had to make a run to the store and my oldest daughter needed some things. It's only a mile from home. 

Things look different here because of the hurricane. It's been over a year and some homes have been completely abandoned and look the same as they did after the storm. I really miss my shade trees, we lost 5 large oak trees in the back yard. 

The pulled pork was good we had it today. Not near as smokey as I hoped but it was very tender and juicy even the next day....

I've been eyeing the vertical Pit Boss pellet smoker at Walmart. I have a ton of gift cards to use and it would cover the cost of it but I don't know that I really need another one. I already have a gas grill and the pellet grill. 

Glad you guys liked to see some of my surroundings.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:54 pm

MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:47 am

Got a new grill a month or two ago  and for my upcoming birthday ive gotten stuff to enable me to smoke meat (smokebox, chips, etc)  can't wait to try this out

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:07 pm

Enjoy but try not to obsess!  I have some pork shoulder finishing right now!

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:00 pm

Best kept secret that I stumbled upon during Shelter At Home a couple months ago. For 7 weeks I did my grocery shopping at the local Super Target dept store.
They actually have a meat section that actually has Filet Mignon. This is the last place most would think of to buy choice cuts. Plus the foot traffic was less as at that time only Target and Costco were enforcing mask wearing. I cooked it on the gas grill at The Hilton where I was staying for free for 7 weeks as part of the hushed Frontline worker offer. Medium rare on choice cuts...YUM!!!
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:49 am

Grindboy wrote:Enjoy but try not to obsess!  I have some pork shoulder finishing right now!

Obsess?  I guess watching all those BBQ Pit Boy videos was a bad move then eh? LOL I just need Meat now Very Happy and then its Pitmaster Privilege

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:38 pm

It’s embarrassing how much I think about barbecue.  Obsessed is an exaggeration, but not much, I’m afraid.

That Traeger, there’s no reason not to pick that up.  It’s listed as “economy” “class,” so you know it’s not exorbitant.  You can finance it for around $50/month so clearly it’s affordable.  And free shipping!  The only question is how many can they send me?

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:51 pm

I have issues with someone saying they barbecue.

Here in the south, barbecue is pulled pork either slow cooked over a pit or in a smoker with sauce.  You make a sandwich out of it.

Everything else is grilling because you cook on the grill.  Great barbecue is an art in and of itself.  Searing meat to cook outside is also an art, but they are not the same.  Therefore, I grill.

lol!
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:40 pm

Alldat, have you read the thread?  Disagree that the only possible use for the word is pulled pork, but we’rr Talking barbecue.

I myself have been on a (generally failed) personal quest to help New England understand the difference between barbecue and grill.  I’ll be delighted to come over and eat your burgers and dogs, but to call it a barbecue is like saying you’re having a fish fry and serving sushi.  Alas, nobody here cares.

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:05 am

Smoked some ribs today on my pellet grill.  They were fantastic!

Anybody here barbeque? - Page 2 Img_2034

Anybody here barbeque? - Page 2 Img_2033
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:55 am

Alldat, have you read the thread?  Disagree that the only possible use for the word is pulled pork, but we’rr Talking barbecue.

I myself have been on a (generally failed) personal quest to help New England understand the difference between barbecue and grill.  I’ll be delighted to come over and eat your burgers and dogs, but to call it a barbecue is like saying you’re having a fish fry and serving sushi.  Alas, nobody here cares.

Or like having a New England Style Clam Bake and it being crawfish or something.  I agree completely with this post.  Ive lived in TN Ive had the BBQ and it was seriously lacking. Ive had better BBQ in CT granted it was a hole in the wall that the dude did Texas Style, the Turkey was to die for, the pork belly , sausages, brisket omg so good.

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:01 am

I like BBQ and Chili.

TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guenther321 Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:27 pm

I don't know alldata, I just saw Gone With the Wind the other day and they said barbeque and had ribs...here let me pull it up on my HBO account....oh wait...never mind....

J/K

Guenther321
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum