The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Was listening to some Whiskey Meyers and The Steel Woods and wondered...

+5
MikeInFla
Soundmass.com
alldatndensum
Ammocas
Black Rider
9 posters

Go down

Was listening to some Whiskey Meyers and The Steel Woods and wondered... Empty Was listening to some Whiskey Meyers and The Steel Woods and wondered...

Post by Black Rider Sat May 04, 2019 11:13 am

Why no Southern Rock in Christian music? Third day doing it on a couple albums is really all I can think of.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Was listening to some Whiskey Meyers and The Steel Woods and wondered... Empty Re: Was listening to some Whiskey Meyers and The Steel Woods and wondered...

Post by Ammocas Sat May 04, 2019 5:44 pm

Good question! I would love to hear a Christian southern rock band...someone like Skynyrd or Molly Hatchet.
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Was listening to some Whiskey Meyers and The Steel Woods and wondered... Empty Re: Was listening to some Whiskey Meyers and The Steel Woods and wondered...

Post by alldatndensum Sat May 04, 2019 7:41 pm

You need to order the reissue from Girder by Rob Cassells.  Boom.  Problem solved.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sat May 04, 2019 8:21 pm

Rob is good but he's more straight up blues.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Soundmass.com Sat May 04, 2019 10:48 pm

Have you checked out DEAD MOONS GREY? - https://www.soundmass.com/product/dmg

Soundmass.com
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Sun May 05, 2019 2:31 am

Wasn't F.O.G. southern? I can't remember and they aren't around anymore but their album is out there for free somewhere.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sun May 05, 2019 5:28 am

Soundmass.com wrote:Have you checked out DEAD MOONS GREY? - https://www.soundmass.com/product/dmg

I am betting that he was looking for something more along the original concept of southern rock:  Skynard, Molly Hatchet, Grand Funk Railroad, etc.  Dead Moon's Grey would fall more under the "southern metal" category.  I think they are great and wish they'd do a second album, but I am betting he wants true classic southern rock.

F.O.G. was trying to have a doomy vibe, and they were a bunch of Yankees.  Not that that matters as not all southern rock bands were from the south.  It was just a mix of rock and country.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by arttieTHE1manparty Sun May 05, 2019 6:56 am

All I can say on this topic is that I have booked Whiskey Meyers in the past and they were awesome!

Arttie
arttieTHE1manparty
arttieTHE1manparty
The Strongest Man In The World
The Strongest Man In The World

http://www.Glitter2Gutter.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun May 05, 2019 8:14 am

That's cool arttie, love their sound.
I've listened to DMG but don't like the Danzig style vocals.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Sun May 05, 2019 3:14 pm

When I lived in South Florida, there was a local band that was just what you are talking about. They were called Archangel. I have a tape of theirs, that I've thought of digitizing and uploading to youtube.
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Back to top Go down

Post by Samson Sun May 05, 2019 3:29 pm

Godsent Humans?
Samson
Samson
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 05, 2019 8:17 pm

Hey guys, new to the forum.  Here is something that might tickle your southern rock influenced itch.  There was once a band from Pikeville, KY called Messiah Experience who recorded a lone demo tape and disbanded sometime around 1995 or so.  They made a huge impact on their hometown scene and then started getting invited to play other states, festivals, churches and such.  They played the new band showcase at Inner Seeds Festival in Atlanta, GA in 1993 as well as Cornerstone Festival in Bushnell, IL in 1994.  They even won a battle of the bands in Columbus, OH in 1991, beating out bands such as Iron Angel, a thrash metal band that would go on to become Jacob's Dream a few years later. Messiah Experience opened for Bride on several occasions in 1991 as well as opening for the Prayer Chain once.  Their sound was branded "cowpunk" for lack of a better tag.  Their entire demo tape is on Youtube.  I'm not able to post links yet, but check out songs "Bye Bye", "Intense", "What's Left To Do/Tribute", "Mercy Song" and "Politics Of Religion".

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Mon May 06, 2019 4:28 pm

I hear the punk influence, not bad but not what I was looking for.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Mon May 06, 2019 5:42 pm

I remembered Three Crosses, they did the southern rock thing at times.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Wed May 15, 2019 6:18 pm

deathisgain wrote:When I lived in South Florida, there was a local band that was just what you are talking about. They were called Archangel. I have a tape of theirs, that I've thought of digitizing and uploading to youtube.

I found them! I was trying to see if I could get the tape I had onto the computer and clean it up. The tape was damaged from all the years stored in my garage and was coming out horrible. I decided to search for the guy online to see if he had something. I found all the tracks on SoundCloud. These sound better than the tape. He must have had the masters digitized and cleaned up. This is some great Southern Christian rock.

https://soundcloud.com/d-norman
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Back to top Go down

Post by jaqual Wed May 15, 2019 6:47 pm

Disciple? Their first album What Was I Thinking has a heavy southern rock influence.

jaqual
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down