The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Primal Fear

+4
Andreas89
Black Rider
11razorwire
Follower of Jesus
8 posters

Go down

Primal Fear Empty Primal Fear

Post by Follower of Jesus Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:21 pm

Getting back into this band again after a while away from them. I love the unabashed, unashamed flag of heavy metal these guys fly. Solid riffing, good solos, thunderous bottom end, and vocals among the greatest of any band. While the songwriting at times has gotten a bit stale, they still can write a great song. There are three tracks off Rulebreaker that just smoke and easily take their place next to the other greats of this band.

Primal Fear - never got into this album for some reason

Jaws of Death - has held up well over time - killer tracks: Final Embrace, Play To Kill

Nuclear Fire - their most popular and well deserved - killer tracks:  Fight The Fire, Iron Fist In A Velvet Glove, Nuclear Fire

Black Sun - a good album, but clearly an attempt to re-create Nuclear Fire - killer tracks: Armageddon, Fear

Devil's Ground - the first and slight departure from the formula, but a stellar album - killer tracks: Suicide & Mania, Visions of Fate, The Healer (I know, everyone loves Metal Is Forever, and it's okay, but it's nowhere near my favorites)

Seven Seals - the next progression away from the classic sound; this album didn't grab me much, it is one of my least favorites - killer tracks: Carniwar

New Religion - the single biggest departure from PF's classic sound, but I freakin' love this record! I'm really bummed they quickly went away from this sound - killer tracks: all of 'em! but seriously, favorites are Sign of Fear, Fighting the Darkness (trilogy), The Man That I Don't Know

16.6 - a return to the classic sound with a cleaner rhythm guitar sound, a great record - killer tracks: Six Times Dead, Killbound, The Exorcist

Unbreakable - uh oh...the curse of sameness...a good album, but sounds way too much like they mailed it in - killer tracks: Strike, Metal Nation, Blaze of Glory

Delivering the Black - the first time PF's lyrics became a problem for me - good music, but turned off by some darker lyrics - killer tracks:  King For A Day, When Death Comes Knocking

Rulebreaker - headed back in the right direction, enjoy this one a lot - killer tracks: Angels of Mercy, The End Is Near, We Walk In Darkness

Favorite overall album:  New Religion - there are tracks on other albums that I like more than this album, but evaluating complete albums, nothing in their catalog touches this masterpiece! The ballad at the end is the most powerful Scheepers vocal I've ever heard.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Primal Fear Empty Re: Primal Fear

Post by 11razorwire Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:48 pm

Awesome breakdown of Primal's discography. Being I'm not all that familiar with this band, you've given me some solid direction into how to attack their albums. But...if you were to suggest to someone a good starting point, what album would you tend to go with? Thanks.
11razorwire
11razorwire
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:26 pm

I would probably start with Nuclear Fire. It's one of their most popular records. If you like that one, you're likely to like most of the rest. If you don't like that one, you probably won't be a big fan of the band.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:36 pm

Nuclear Fire is my favorite also but Seven Seals really grew on me and is now my second favorite by them then 16 6. I agree with Delivering the Black, that was a little disappointing.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:00 am

I only know Nuclear Fire. That opening track is really tasty, the rest isn't too shabby either. But I'm not interested in checking out more albums.
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:07 am

Delivering the Black was my introduction to Primal Fear. It left me with a "take 'em or leave 'em" attitude about the band. It sounds like I chose a bad starting point.
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:10 pm

Musically it's not bad just a couple lyrics that are dark. I'd check out some earlier stuff though.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by arttieTHE1manparty Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:15 am

Great band, no doubt.  I like Black Sun a lot, although a lot of people bag on it.

Arttie
arttieTHE1manparty
arttieTHE1manparty
The Strongest Man In The World
The Strongest Man In The World

http://www.Glitter2Gutter.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:49 pm

It's not quite as quality as Nuclear Fire and since it followed directly I think it suffers. Still a good album though.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessrox Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:39 pm

I recently discovered this band....been cranking the new material, especially ''The End is Near'' Killer song and video! https://youtu.be/MLRjJQCqCeo
Jessrox
Jessrox
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by stringfellow_hawke Thu May 11, 2017 11:31 am

I picked up Rulebreaker a while back.  Its absolutely killer.  Bands like them have become a new first choice for me over the last few years.  As I get older I tend to like it a lot better.
stringfellow_hawke
stringfellow_hawke
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down