The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Minier s/t is much better than The Crucified

+22
TZ75
BaleMaster
grandeped
My Awesome Timothy
Black Rider
crucifyd
average joe
d@v!d
force perspective
strangerhoncho
pathogenics_cloned_twin83
sentient 6
arttieTHE1manparty
Nyx74
messiaen77
timekeeper
deathisgain
ludey7
metaldude
Grindboy
Gandalf the White
Temple of Blood
26 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Minier s/t is much better than The Crucified Empty Minier s/t is much better than The Crucified

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:50 am

Far better riffs and vocals!

At least that is my impression from casually listening to both.

Why is this release not talked about more or been re-mastered/re-released?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tACwfTRLs4&index=2&list=PLF0D181221E42299D
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Minier s/t is much better than The Crucified Empty Re: Minier s/t is much better than The Crucified

Post by Gandalf the White Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:36 pm

I like both but the vocals on Minier's release are a little better. But Mark's lyrics with The Crucified were so good...

As far as rerelease, I would buy a copy. It's good stuff!
Gandalf the White
Gandalf the White
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Minier s/t is much better than The Crucified Empty Re: Minier s/t is much better than The Crucified

Post by Grindboy Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:10 pm

IMO the Minier album has a couple legitimately great tracks, a couple good/decent/fine tracks, and a couple "huh?" tracks.  And at 7 total tracks, that's the whole thing.  I'd guess that's one reason why it doesn't get a lot of chatter, along with that I think it's been oop for decades and didn't seem to make a huge splash ever.  IMO The Crucified s/t is positively classic.

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

strangerhoncho and TZ75 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:24 pm

No matter what your preference, you can't go wrong with The Cru, Minier, or Minier's other project, Applehead.  Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:42 pm

So what are the best Crucified songs then?
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:11 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:So what are the best Crucified songs then?
Listen to Pillars of Humanity. Their best, IMO. Your thrash brain will love it.  Metal 1
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:48 pm

metaldude wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:So what are the best Crucified songs then?
Listen to Pillars of Humanity. Their best, IMO. Your thrash brain will love it.  Metal 1

I tried listening to it and the guitar work on "Minier" sounded far more interesting.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:43 pm

The guitar work on Minier probably is more interesting, at least for a few songs.

Obviously there's disagreement on this, but I like The Crucified s/t far more than Pillars (which is fine, but never stood out to me).  Especially the s/t is a different approach with a lot more hardcore influence, as I'm sure you know.  If you were asking me for favorite songs, I'm particularly fond of:  Diehard, Your Image, One Demon to Another, Confidence, The Insult Circus, Thread, and Crucial Moment.  On Minier, I think Philosophy of Man and Killing of the Innocent are fantastic (and yes, more interesting from strictly a guitar perspective), and maybe The Skeptic.  Particularly back when I was young and they were "new" cd's, I'd reach for the Crucified over Minier probably 4 to 1.  Tons of great songs, in fact twice as many without any to skip (Price and The Secret Song made 2/7 skips for Minier -- terrible ratio!).  But no doubt, the approaches are substantially different and a little bit apples to oranges.

All just my opinion, of course.

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ludey7 Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:51 pm

Multiple threads discussing Minier, The Crucified, & Stavesacre - love it.  I used to be impartial to the crucified s/t - until the box set came out with the remastered Pillars.  It's like a new album!  I think what was a good album just became incredible. If you haven't heard that version I highly recommend checking it out. IMO Pillars is head & tails the best work they've done once you hear it properly mastered.  Hateworld, Fellowship of Theives, It's Alll About Fear, Mindbender - the whole album is great.

ludey7
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:05 pm

Add some bass and I'd buy it!
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:24 am

deathisgain wrote:Add some bass and I'd buy it!

I had exactly the same thought when I first saw this thread. Wasn't it done without a bass?
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by timekeeper Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:42 am

It's good, but no way is it better than the Crucified - they are legendary.
timekeeper
timekeeper
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:14 am

metaldude wrote:
deathisgain wrote:Add some bass and I'd buy it!

I had exactly the same thought when I first saw this thread. Wasn't it done without a bass?

Yes. I think I read somewhere that it was just a side project that he never really intended on releasing.
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:20 pm

Grindboy wrote:IMO the Minier album has a couple legitimately great tracks, a couple good/decent/fine tracks, and a couple "huh?" tracks.  And at 7 total tracks, that's the whole thing. 

I agree with that assessment of the Minier album.  But I just don't hear much special/interesting with The Crucified's guitar riffs.  It's all fine but nothing that stands out.  Just a stream of passable riffs in no particular order.  To me it just sounds like stuff that a lot of people could come up with and it's really one-dimensional.

I admit I haven't heard it all but I tried to listen to the first few songs of both releases.  Drums are good but that can't make a band IMHO.

And the vocals could be anyone.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:34 pm

I think at this point, especially with s/t, you have a criticism more of the genre/approach than the execution.  Listening to hardcore for special/interesting guitar riffs will lead to questions and dissatisfaction.  Sounds like it just isn't for you.  Fair enough.

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:43 pm

I like crossover thrash like DRI.  I think it's a lot more interesting than this.

Can't stand hardcore.  I usually see The Crucified in thrash recommendation threads and I'm not convinced that they really qualify.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf the White Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:57 pm

So with all the talk about the Minier album and it's goodness and rarity, I mosied over to Amazon... and scored a used copy for $12!
Gandalf the White
Gandalf the White
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:13 pm

I guess I can't help you then.  I like s/t WAY better than DRI, personally.  Pillars I think does definitely belong in the thrash bin, albeit not as intricate guitar wise as some (and think is a fine album but am not as fond of as many others seem to be).

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by messiaen77 Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:58 pm

Grindboy wrote:I think at this point, especially with s/t, you have a criticism more of the genre/approach than the execution.  Listening to hardcore for special/interesting guitar riffs will lead to questions and dissatisfaction.  Sounds like it just isn't for you.  Fair enough.
That's what I've been thinking reading this whole thread.  The Crucified was hardcore punk, you aren't going to get great technical playing and riffs.  It is like looking for pepperoni in an apple turnover.
messiaen77
messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:04 pm

That's fine by me.  But I bet if I looked around at Christian metal websites I would see them listed as a thrash band more often than not.

They're pretty far from Metallica, Exodus, or Slayer.  Enjoy it all you like but let's call things what they are.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf the White Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:33 pm

messiaen77 wrote:
Grindboy wrote:I think at this point, especially with s/t, you have a criticism more of the genre/approach than the execution.  Listening to hardcore for special/interesting guitar riffs will lead to questions and dissatisfaction.  Sounds like it just isn't for you.  Fair enough.
That's what I've been thinking reading this whole thread.  The Crucified was hardcore punk, you aren't going to get great technical playing and riffs.  It is like looking for pepperoni in an apple turnover.

Let's not be hasty. Pepperoni in an apple turnover might be pretty good.
Gandalf the White
Gandalf the White
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf the White Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:37 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:That's fine by me.  But I bet if I looked around at Christian metal websites I would see them listed as a thrash band more often than not.

They're pretty far from Metallica, Exodus, or Slayer.  Enjoy it all you like but let's call things what they are.

Metal Metropolis called them crossover. No Life Til Metal calls them "a hybrid mix of punk and thrash ". Wikipedia (which is totally metal) says: The Crucified is an American Christian hardcore punk and crossover thrash band from Fresno, California that formed in 1984.

So you're both right... Smile
Gandalf the White
Gandalf the White
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:41 pm

I saw that metal-archives.com for one calls them "thrash/crossover".  I think they are primarily hardcore (as far as I understand that style of music).  The thrash influence is much less in their sound.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by messiaen77 Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:35 pm

Honestly, I kinda think the "thrash" labels are more a result of metal folks wanting to claim them as a metal band.  That whole crossover thrash thing seems that way to me.
messiaen77
messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Temple of Blood likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf the White Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:57 am

messiaen77 wrote:Honestly, I kinda think the "thrash" labels are more a result of metal folks wanting to claim them as a metal band.  That whole crossover thrash thing seems that way to me.
I agree. I've actually always thought of them as a punk band with some metal influences. It wasn't until a couple years ago I really heard people call them thrash...
Gandalf the White
Gandalf the White
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next