The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Female-Fronted Doom (and related gloomy genres)

+2
mothy
Kerrick
6 posters

Go down

Female-Fronted Doom (and related gloomy genres) Empty Female-Fronted Doom (and related gloomy genres)

Post by Kerrick Wed May 11, 2022 3:24 pm

The Omegashift thread got me in the mood for some female-fronted doom which while gaining a lot of popularity in the secular scene, is pretty slim-pickings in the Christian scene.  What are some good female-fronted doomy/gloomy bands y'all like?  (Let's keep this thread specific to doom and related genres, since Nightwish-influenced "symphonic" and "gothic" bands are a bit more common.)  Some I greatly enjoy are:

Omegashift, as already mentioned.  Less than a week until the debut is released!

Of Withering Ashes.  To my knowledge, they only ever released four songs on their website (which were free to download but have since been taken down).  Their vocalist also sang backing vocals on Implacable's material (another criminally underrated band!).  They're now a band of one guy who's working on new material.  

Leonov.  Not strictly doom, but I find myself listening to them a ton.  They mix doom, post-rock/metal, and avant-garde to create some really fantastic music.

BONUS: Warpriest (select songs).  While most of the vocals are handled by Robert aka Deathisgain, his wife Elis sings on a few tracks and does a really great job.  She'll be singing on album #3 too which I'm eagerly anticipating hearing!

Tyrant
Tyrant

deathisgain, bgsully and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Female-Fronted Doom (and related gloomy genres) Empty Re: Female-Fronted Doom (and related gloomy genres)

Post by mothy Thu May 12, 2022 9:43 am

Have you ever heard Stars That Move?
They have members from Star child but are female fronted.
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

bgsully likes this post

Back to top Go down

Female-Fronted Doom (and related gloomy genres) Empty Re: Female-Fronted Doom (and related gloomy genres)

Post by Kerrick Thu May 12, 2022 1:41 pm

I have, but it's been a while.  For some reason I dismissed both bands as ones I'd want to purchase material from but I don't remember why now...  I think the main guy and/or his label was posting a bunch of stuff on FB that seemed quite un-Christian and foul, marijuana-related, or something to that effect.  Don't take my word for it because that was a while ago and I don't remember specifics, but there was something that put me off.

Tyrant
Tyrant

mothy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Sat May 14, 2022 4:37 pm

mothy wrote:Have you ever heard Stars That Move?
They have members from Star child but are female fronted.
Stars that Move was the first that came to mind for me. Beyond that, I really don't know of many.
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun May 15, 2022 9:34 am

Never listened to Leonov before, that's really good.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Kerrick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadpool Mon May 16, 2022 2:48 pm

Thanks for the links Kerrick.

Leonov is very interesting. My favorite of the bunch.
Sounds like it would be great background atmosphere.

That Warpriest track was pretty cool as well.

Deadpool
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Kerrick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon May 16, 2022 3:02 pm

^I'm glad you guys like!  Yeah Leonov pretty quickly became one of my most-listened-to bands.  Both of their albums are excellent and it's cool to see bands like them in the Christian scene doing something a little different and breaking the mold - instead of resorting to being a "Christian alternative to [secular band name]."

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Tue May 17, 2022 12:05 pm

You may like:

mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

bgsully likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Tue May 17, 2022 5:25 pm

Not just female vocals but...

mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

bgsully likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Thu May 26, 2022 2:21 pm

That's a good find!  I hadn't heard of them before.  Do you happen to know if their CDs are available anywhere?

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Thu May 26, 2022 3:34 pm

If your talking about "In the Image Of" nope I couldnt find anything for CD's. Looks like it might be available via digital on iTunes though
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Kerrick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Thu May 26, 2022 3:37 pm

Right on, I'll have to take a look.  Thanks!

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by graybeardheadbanger Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:02 pm

I really liked the doom tinged thrash of Ordained Fate back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOivwjopHvg

graybeardheadbanger
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by graybeardheadbanger Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:18 pm

Hi--I just bought the Leonov and 2 warpriests!  I would have gotten True Wisdom but they did not have physical CDs.  Thanks for the info, folks.

graybeardheadbanger
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Kerrick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:37 pm

^Rad!  Enjoy!

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down