The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anybody here barbeque?

+6
Guenther321
oldschooldoom
Pro-Zak
Staybrite
MikeInFla
Athonite
10 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Anybody here barbeque? - Page 3 Empty Re: Anybody here barbeque?

Post by Grindboy Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:47 am

I tried my first brisket yesterday!  At least sort of.  . .

I made a mistake in letting my wife pick it up through Wal-Mart grocery pick-up.  I know they have full brisket there, but for whatever reason they gave her only the flat, so I had basically half a brisket, and the less juicy half at that.  Also, it was “select,” which is the grade that I’m told to specifically avoid, so  I learned that in the future I need to go to not Wal-Mart and actually pick out the right piece of meat.

All that said, it turned out pretty well.  A little tough, sliced well but didn’t pull apart, and a a little dry, but on the whole excellent flavor and my wife and son both approved.  I made a couple other trial and error mistakes as well, so I’m optimistic that next time I can make something really awesome.  Still, though this one would get laughed out of Texas, I’ve had worse at New England bbq spots and I’m generally considering it a success.

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:40 pm

Very cool!
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:23 am

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:08 pm

Some friends of ours have a komado grill and have invited us over for some absolutely delicious meals.  I finally ponied up and bought one of our own!  I'm pretty stoked.  Up until this point we shamefully haven't even had a regular BBQ so this will be a whole new adventure.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Staybrite likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:25 pm

Kerrick!  I'm happy to see you in here.

Especially in the north, people use the word "barbeque" differently.  For example, by "regular bbq" I'm guessing you mean "grill" on which to cook up burgers, dogs, chicken breasts, pork chops, steaks, etc.  Here in New England, I know people use "barbeque" to mean either "any type of cooking that's outside" or "anything you might put barbeque sauce on."  To put this in metal terms, this always hits me very similarly to how when a non-metal person describes death metal as "your screamo music or whatever."  The difference is that I still like grilling and eat plenty of burgers and dogs though I hate screamo, but hopefully that makes sense.

Barbeque can mean something of a variety of things and has huge overlap with smoking, but most often means pork shoulder (pork "butt" is actually shoulder) for pulled pork, beef brisket, or ribs, cooked "low and slow" at 225-250 for several hours, usually with hardwood smoke for added flavor/aroma.  That said, super cool that you picked up a kamado, I've never had one or really ever seen one, but I think they're supposed to be super versatile and can be used for barbeque/smoking, yes?  As you could tell if you read even the beginning of this thread, it's something I just started up in the last couple years, and immediately had a GREAT time learning.  I hope you give it a try, and will love to see how it goes if you do!

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Kerrick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:26 pm

Hey!  Yeah by "regular barbeque" I mean grill.  Smile  Yuppers, you can grill on the komado like you would on a standard grill, or slow-cook a big chunk of meat for hours and get that awesome smoky flavor.  They're pretty cool and so long as you have a decent thermometer, very easy to use!

Saturday was our first run with the komado and the burgers turned out amazing.  I made some pretty large patties and smoked 'em for a couple hours at ~215 deg F before they were ready.  Fried onions and mushrooms were an added bonus.

Anybody here barbeque? - Page 3 20210911

Anybody here barbeque? - Page 3 20210910

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:28 pm

Oh man Kerrick that looks amazing!
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Kerrick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:04 pm

Dude that burger looks CRAZY.  (See, I even used all caps.  Because CRAZY.)

I happen to have some ribs on right now, have a sister-in-law visiting who really loves ribs.  Cool!

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Kerrick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:55 pm

Ha, thanks!  It was mighty tasty.  How did the ribs turn out?  As I get more confident with our komado, I'll work my way up to ribs.  Smile

I did steaks the other night which turned out pretty good, though I over-cooked them a bit.  Tomorrow we're having friends over for burgers so the pressure's on!  Very Happy

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:32 pm

Ribs were great!  I'm not really a huge ribs guy and don't do them very often -- they're more involved and have several steps to them, but none of them are difficult and they get done comparatively quickly relative to pulled pork or brisket.  Look up 3-2-1 ribs (assuming you're like most people and like them to fall off the bone), they really shouldn't take much working your way up to.  You can totally do it.

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Kerrick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:48 pm

Awesome!  We got half-a-cow in our freezer but I don't remember which cuts we got haha.  We probably got ribs though... so once I dig down deep enough to them, I'll be sure to find that recipe.

Our burgers last night turned out excellent.  This komado of ours is my favorite purchase as of late!  Very Happy

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:53 pm

Holy cow, beef ribs I've never tried personally, mostly because I'm not even sure where to get them locally here, but they look awesome.  Half a cow is amazing, I'm sure that's going to be a ton of fun, no pun intended. 

Unrelated note, I'm not sure when I (and so many others?) became boring old dudes who get excited about cooking/smoking meat.  Which, in fairness, nobody told me was going to be so cool.  But also, I'm disturbed that I think it's so cool.  Cool people don't think this is cool, I'm pretty sure.

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Staybrite and Kerrick like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:39 pm

Hahahaha it's so true...  I saw a meme on FB the other day that went something like this: "I've reached the point in life that when I drive by someone's house with a nice porch, I say, 'now that's a nice porch.'"

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum