The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Wreck

3 posters

Go down

Big Wreck Empty Big Wreck

Post by Deepfriar Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:39 pm

So good.

Deepfriar
Deepfriar
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Big Wreck Empty Re: Big Wreck

Post by Xid Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:28 am

Had the privilege of seeing Big Wreck with Dream Theater back in '97.  Great show!
Xid
Xid
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://www.joshuascreed.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Deepfriar Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:02 am

Xid wrote:Had the privilege of seeing Big Wreck with Dream Theater back in '97.  Great show!
That's really awesome!! Anything that stuck out about that show for you? How was Dream Theater? (..like I even have to ask..)

But regarding Big Wreck, Ian Thornley is one of those musicians that showed up during the grunge scene but I felt like he was a better guitarist (and even songwriter) than most of the other bands/frontmen from that same scene. Don't get me wrong, I love the staple grunge acts but it seems like Thornley/Big Wreck just had something a bit more... and still does... some sort of inherent artistry that transcends the genre that popularized his music. I absolutely love the Suhr factory live performances on YouTube (like the video in my original post). Some of the guitar 'jam' sections are just fantastic.

All of their albums are above-average, but 2017's Grace Street was unfortunately one of their weaker albums (along with their sophomore album The Pleasure and the Greed)... HOWEVER, a new single was released last month titled, "Locomotive" and it sounds really good! Nice and beefy. I have high hopes for the upcoming album!

Here's the new single:

Deepfriar
Deepfriar
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Xid Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:26 am

Dream Theater was awesome.  It was at the Fenix in Seattle, so a pretty small venue.  There were some power issues throughout the night with breakers tripping.  At one point the keys and bass were down and when Petrucci realized it, he and Portnoy started playing Billy Squire's Everybody Wants You.  The power came back on and everybody joined in.  Then, as if on some magic cue, they picked up their song where they left off.

I hadn't heard of Big Wreck before then but they were surprisingly good.  Shortly after that show MTV started airing the video for their song The Oaf.
Xid
Xid
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Deepfriar Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:54 pm

Xid wrote:Dream Theater was awesome.  It was at the Fenix in Seattle, so a pretty small venue.  There were some power issues throughout the night with breakers tripping.  At one point the keys and bass were down and when Petrucci realized it, he and Portnoy started playing Billy Squire's Everybody Wants You.  The power came back on and everybody joined in.  Then, as if on some magic cue, they picked up their song where they left off.

I hadn't heard of Big Wreck before then but they were surprisingly good.  Shortly after that show MTV started airing the video for their song The Oaf.
Oh man, what a cool story. I love those unpredictable moments at concerts, you just can't make that stuff up or anticipate it but that's what makes it all worthwhile!

Glad you have those awesome memories. Very Happy
Deepfriar
Deepfriar
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Xid Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:36 am

Thanks!  It was a really fun night.
Xid
Xid
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianMetalFan Sat May 11, 2019 8:51 am

I've seen Big Wreck a couple times, great band, lots of energy!

CMF

CanadianMetalFan
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down