The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DTS - DTS

3 posters

Go down

DTS - DTS Empty DTS - DTS

Post by Driven Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:51 pm

I got this album in the mail a couple of weeks ago from Bill Menchen. Although Bruce (cousin) Menchen is the mainman behind this project, Bill is distributing it.

Anyway, so what we have in DTS (Dead To Sin, Romans 6:11) is '80s melodic metal, kinda like Stryper. Robert Sweet plays drums on this release, so it sounds somewhat more like Stryper. Bruce has a nice clean voice that goes well with the riffs, and the bass work sounds super cool.

Production: quite clean overall. The bass gets buried at times, and the drums are kinda too loud and override the mix a lot (in a car most often). A few effects, like auto tune, can be found here and there. 7/10

Packaging: cheap-ish indie release. The front booklet is only the album artwork, with a blank back, and the back cover is a bit of history and info. No lyrics, but they're easy to understand.

Songwriting: good but not great; it's more of a grower for me. Not that many hooks on first listen, but like I said it's a grower. Several slower songs, of which I'm not a fan. Good riffs and soloing, though; Robert Sweet keeps time rather well with a relatively basic style. Disc can be long with 16 songs; however, there's quite a bit of variety between piano ballads and up-tempo rockers. The lyrics are quite upfront and evangelical. 8/10

Get this if you like melodic-ish music like Stryper or Petra, or you are a fan of anything Bill Menchen has done. (trust me, they sound quite alike, given that Bruce learned from Bill! LOL) If you're into extreme metal and don't care for melody, then it might be best to skip it.

7/10
Driven
Driven
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://danielbandfan.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

DTS - DTS Empty Re: DTS - DTS

Post by oldschooldoom Fri May 04, 2012 8:32 am

Good review. Sounds like something I would really like. I've heard a song here and there but not the whole album at a time.
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 24, 2013 3:36 pm

Bruce is a way better guitar player than singer. I remember him ditching school so he could practice guitar. Too bad Steve wasn't around to help with the solos like back in the day. He had this nice Lynch style and tone that accented Bruce's more European stylings quite nice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:34 pm

It definitely is cheap enough to get.

Back to top Go down

Post by dalmar6677 Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:04 pm

sweet review looking forward to hearing it.

dalmar6677
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum