Essential Christian Metal Albums.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Essential Christian Metal Albums.

Post by DoritoFingers on Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:39 pm

Hey everyone. I was going to make a grid image showcasing essential Christian Metal Albums. 
(Example that someone sent me http://imgur.com/3lnpXn1 )
While I already have a good idea of some albums I was looking for input as to a good place to start.
It will be divided by sub-genre, and there are a few subgenres I don't really listen to all that much; such as doom metal, however any and all albums are appreciated.
avatar
DoritoFingers
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Posts : 16
Join date : 2016-11-06
Location : Ontario, Canada

Back to top Go down

Re: Essential Christian Metal Albums.

Post by Wildcat on Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:38 am

I like this idea. I know certain subgenres better than others, but I'm sure the people who know those genres better can add to my list. 

Hard rock/traditional metal:
Stryper- Soldiers Under Command
Stryper- To Hell With The Devil
Bloodgood- Detonation
Whitecross- Whitecross
Saint- Too Late For Living

Thrash:
Vengeance Rising- Human Sacrifice
Deliverance- Deliverance
Deliverance- Weapons Of Our Warfare
Tourniquet- Psycho Surgery
Tourniquet- Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance
Believer- Sanity Obscure
Living Sacrifice- Living Sacrifice
Seventh Angel- Lament For The Weary
Ultimatum- Into The Pit

Death metal:
Mortification- Scrolls Of The Megilloth
Extol- Burial
Extol- Undeceived 
Becoming The Archetype- Terminate Damnation
Becoming The Archetype- Dichotomy

Power metal:
Theocracy- Mirror Of Souls
Theocracy- As The World Bleeds
Rob Rock- Holy Hell
Signum Regis- Chapter IV: The Reckoning

Modern metal/metalcore:
Demon Hunter- The Triptych
Demon Hunter- True Defiance
Living Sacrifice- The Infinite Order
Living Sacrifice- Ghost Thief
Haste The Day- Attack Of The Wolf King
Oh, Sleeper- Children Of Fire
avatar
Wildcat
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 135
Join date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Essential Christian Metal Albums.

Post by strangerhoncho on Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:12 am

Wildcat wrote:I like this idea. I know certain subgenres better than others, but I'm sure the people who know those genres better can add to my list. 

Hard rock/traditional metal:
Stryper- Soldiers Under Command
Stryper- To Hell With The Devil
Bloodgood- Detonation
Whitecross- Whitecross
Whitecross- Hammer & Nail
Saint- Too Late For Living
Bride- Live to Die
Bride- Snakes in the Playground

Thrash:
Vengeance Rising- Human Sacrifice
Vengeance Rising- Once Dead
Vengeance Rising- Released Upon the Earth
Deliverance- Deliverance
Deliverance- Weapons Of Our Warfare
Deliverance- What a Joke
Deliverance- Learn
Deliverance- Stay of Execution
Detritus- Perpetual Defiance
Detritus- If But For One
Tourniquet- Stop the Bleeding
Tourniquet- Psycho Surgery
Tourniquet- Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance
Believer-Extraction from Mortality
Believer- Sanity Obscure
Believer- Dimensions
Living Sacrifice- Living Sacrifice
Seventh Angel- The Torment
Seventh Angel- Lament For The Weary
Ultimatum- Into The Pit
Betrayal- Renaissance by Death
Betrayal- The Passing
Sacrament- Testimony of Apocalypse
Sacrament- Haunts of Violence
The Crucified- Pillars of Humanity
Mortification- Primitive Rhythm Machine
Mortification- Blood World

Death metal:

Mortification- s/t
Mortification- Scrolls Of The Megilloth
Mortification- Post Momentary Affliction
Extol- Burial
Extol- Undeceived 
Becoming The Archetype- Terminate Damnation
Becoming The Archetype- Dichotomy
Immortal Souls- Under the Northern Sky
Immortal Souls- Ice Upon the Night
Deuteronomium- Street Corner Queen
GROMS- Ascension
Sympathy- Invocation
Sympathy- Arcane Path
Sympathy- Anagogic Tyranny
Crimson Thorn- Unearthed
Crimson Thorn- Dissection
Crimson Thorn- Purification
Pantokrator- Blod
Pantokrator- Aurum
Pantokrator- Incarnate
Ethereal Scourge- Judgement & Restoration
Lament- Through the Reflection
Living Sacrifice- Nonexistent
Impending Doom- The Serpent Servant
Impending Doom- There Will Be Violence
Impending Doom- Baptized in Filth
Soul Embraced- This is My Blood
Solamors- Depravity's Demise
Underoath- Cries of the Past
Mortal Treason- Sunrise Over a Sea of Blood
Possession- Eternally Haunt
Holy Blood- The Wanderer
Holy Blood- Waves are Dancing
Antestor- Martyrium

Power metal:
Theocracy- Mirror Of Souls
Theocracy- As The World Bleeds
Rob Rock- Holy Hell
Signum Regis- Chapter IV: The Reckoning

Modern metal/metalcore:
Demon Hunter- The Triptych
Demon Hunter- True Defiance
Living Sacrifice- Reborn
Living Sacrifice- Hammering Process
Living Sacrifice- Conceived in Fire
Living Sacrifice- The Infinite Order
Living Sacrifice- Ghost Thief
Haste The Day- Attack Of The Wolf King
Oh, Sleeper- Children Of Fire
Zao- Where Blood & Fire Bring Rest
Zao- Liberate te ex Inferis
Zao- Funeral of God
Training for Utopia- Throwing a Wrench Into the American Music Machine

On the list above, I added a bunch of thrash, death metal, and some metalcore and trad. heavy metal too.

I'd also add these to the chart:

Precious Death- Southpaw (grunge/funk metal)
Paramaecium- Within the Ancient Forest (death/doom)

I'll let somebody else add to my short Black Metal list:

Grave Declaration- When Dying Souls Scream Praise
Kekal- 1000 Thoughts of Violence
Light Shall Prevail- Defeat the Reign of the Horned One Through the Light of Christ
Horde- Hellig Usvart
Crimson Moonlight- The Covenant Progress
Crimson Moonlight- Veil of Remembrance
Crimson Moonlight- Divine Darkness
Elgibbor- The Dungeons of Hell
A Hill to Die Upon- Infinite Titanic Immortal
A Hill to Die Upon- Omens
Evroklidon- The Flames of Sodom
Antestor- The Forsaken
Lengsel- Solace

strangerhoncho
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 624
Join date : 2012-02-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Essential Christian Metal Albums.

Post by Snert I on Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:53 pm

Hard rock/traditional metal:
Guardian - Fire & Love
X-Sinner - Get it
Petra - On Fire!
Barren Cross - Atomic Arena

Power Metal:

Seventh Avenue - Between the worlds

Goth Metal

Saviour Machine - s/t

Snert I
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 160
Join date : 2012-02-01
Location : Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Essential Christian Metal Albums.

Post by Hardcore Christian on Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:38 pm

See I wont add to these lists because I know every single person thinks something should be essential so I'll do my own list.

Hard rock/traditional metal:
Stryper- Soldiers Under Command
Stryper- To Hell With The Devil
Bloodgood- Detonation
Whitecross- Whitecross
Saint- Too Late For Living
Whitecross - Triumphant Return
Bloodgood - Out Of The Darkness
Holy Soldier - Self Titled
Disciple - Scars Remain
The Showdown - Temptation Come My Way
Bride - Live To Die

Thrash:
Vengeance Rising- Human Sacrifice
Deliverance- Weapons Of Our Warfare
Tourniquet- Psycho Surgery
Tourniquet- Stop The Bleeding
Believer- Extraction From Mortality
Living Sacrifice- Living Sacrifice
Mortification - Self Titled
Mortification - Post Momentary Affliction

Death metal:
Mortification- Scrolls Of The Megilloth
Extol- Burial
Becoming The Archetype- Terminate Damnation
Immortal Souls- Under the Northern Sky
Immortal Souls- Ice Upon the Night
Crimson Thorn- Dissection
Ethereal Scourge- Judgement & Restoration
Living Sacrifice- Nonexistent
Impending Doom- Baptized in Filth
Underoath- Cries of the Past
Mortal Treason- Sunrise Over a Sea of Blood
Possession- Eternally Haunt
Antestor- Martyrium

metalcore:
Demon Hunter- The Triptych
Living Sacrifice- The Infinite Order
Haste The Day- Pressure The Hinges
Oh, Sleeper- Children Of Fire
Zao- Where Blood & Fire Bring Rest
As I Lay Dying - An Ocean Between Us
Underoath - They're Only Chasing Safety
Norma Jean - O' God The Aftermath
The Chariot - The Fiancee
Maylene And The Sons Of Disaster - I
For Today - Portraits
Sleeping Giant - Kingdom Days In An Evil Age
August Burns Red - Messengers
The Showdown - A Chorus Of Obliteration
avatar
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3581
Join date : 2013-07-31
Age : 17
Location : Spokane, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: Essential Christian Metal Albums.

Post by Tobi Elektrik on Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:51 pm

DROTTNAR - WELTERWERK should be on any list because it's one of those rare Christian albums that's totally unique. There's NO band in the world that sounds like they do on the last two albums.
That's why I also have to unterline ETHEREAL SCOURGE - I never heard a band with similar vocals or sound. I would call "Judgement and Restoration" a melodic death metal album - but actually none of the instruments are played like in a typical melodic death metal band.

Also important for the list:

PLACE OF SKULLS - With Vision
PARAMAECIUM - Exhumed of the Earth
ZAO - Funeral of God
avatar
Tobi Elektrik
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 454
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Essential Christian Metal Albums.

Post by Kerrick on Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:06 pm

^Place Of Skulls is awesome but I don't know if With Vision is quite so essential... at least compared to their other stuff which is much stronger IMO.

_________________
music___me wrote:I feel like that flame throwing tank/truck/thing should only be operated while listening to Iron Maiden.

Through The Dark Radio wrote:Yep, he's so mean, he grimaces whenever he isn't listening to DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! Twisted Evil
avatar
Kerrick
Tyrant
Tyrant

Posts : 7236
Join date : 2012-06-26
Age : 30
Location : Santa Cruz, CA

Back to top Go down

Re: Essential Christian Metal Albums.

Post by DoritoFingers on Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:57 pm

strangerhoncho wrote:
Wildcat wrote:I like this idea. I know certain subgenres better than others, but I'm sure the people who know those genres better can add to my list. 

Hard rock/traditional metal:
Stryper- Soldiers Under Command
Stryper- To Hell With The Devil
Bloodgood- Detonation
Whitecross- Whitecross
Whitecross- Hammer & Nail
Saint- Too Late For Living
Bride- Live to Die
Bride- Snakes in the Playground

Thrash:
Vengeance Rising- Human Sacrifice
Vengeance Rising- Once Dead
Vengeance Rising- Released Upon the Earth
Deliverance- Deliverance
Deliverance- Weapons Of Our Warfare
Deliverance- What a Joke
Deliverance- Learn
Deliverance- Stay of Execution
Detritus- Perpetual Defiance
Detritus- If But For One
Tourniquet- Stop the Bleeding
Tourniquet- Psycho Surgery
Tourniquet- Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance
Believer-Extraction from Mortality
Believer- Sanity Obscure
Believer- Dimensions
Living Sacrifice- Living Sacrifice
Seventh Angel- The Torment
Seventh Angel- Lament For The Weary
Ultimatum- Into The Pit
Betrayal- Renaissance by Death
Betrayal- The Passing
Sacrament- Testimony of Apocalypse
Sacrament- Haunts of Violence
The Crucified- Pillars of Humanity
Mortification- Primitive Rhythm Machine
Mortification- Blood World

Death metal:

Mortification- s/t
Mortification- Scrolls Of The Megilloth
Mortification- Post Momentary Affliction
Extol- Burial
Extol- Undeceived 
Becoming The Archetype- Terminate Damnation
Becoming The Archetype- Dichotomy
Immortal Souls- Under the Northern Sky
Immortal Souls- Ice Upon the Night
Deuteronomium- Street Corner Queen
GROMS- Ascension
Sympathy- Invocation
Sympathy- Arcane Path
Sympathy- Anagogic Tyranny
Crimson Thorn- Unearthed
Crimson Thorn- Dissection
Crimson Thorn- Purification
Pantokrator- Blod
Pantokrator- Aurum
Pantokrator- Incarnate
Ethereal Scourge- Judgement & Restoration
Lament- Through the Reflection
Living Sacrifice- Nonexistent
Impending Doom- The Serpent Servant
Impending Doom- There Will Be Violence
Impending Doom- Baptized in Filth
Soul Embraced- This is My Blood
Solamors- Depravity's Demise
Underoath- Cries of the Past
Mortal Treason- Sunrise Over a Sea of Blood
Possession- Eternally Haunt
Holy Blood- The Wanderer
Holy Blood- Waves are Dancing
Antestor- Martyrium

Power metal:
Theocracy- Mirror Of Souls
Theocracy- As The World Bleeds
Rob Rock- Holy Hell
Signum Regis- Chapter IV: The Reckoning

Modern metal/metalcore:
Demon Hunter- The Triptych
Demon Hunter- True Defiance
Living Sacrifice- Reborn
Living Sacrifice- Hammering Process
Living Sacrifice- Conceived in Fire
Living Sacrifice- The Infinite Order
Living Sacrifice- Ghost Thief
Haste The Day- Attack Of The Wolf King
Oh, Sleeper- Children Of Fire
Zao- Where Blood & Fire Bring Rest
Zao- Liberate te ex Inferis
Zao- Funeral of God
Training for Utopia- Throwing a Wrench Into the American Music Machine

On the list above, I added a bunch of thrash, death metal, and some metalcore and trad. heavy metal too.

I'd also add these to the chart:

Precious Death- Southpaw (grunge/funk metal)
Paramaecium- Within the Ancient Forest (death/doom)

I'll let somebody else add to my short Black Metal list:

Grave Declaration- When Dying Souls Scream Praise
Kekal- 1000 Thoughts of Violence
Light Shall Prevail- Defeat the Reign of the Horned One Through the Light of Christ
Horde- Hellig Usvart
Crimson Moonlight- The Covenant Progress
Crimson Moonlight- Veil of Remembrance
Crimson Moonlight- Divine Darkness
Elgibbor- The Dungeons of Hell
A Hill to Die Upon- Infinite Titanic Immortal
A Hill to Die Upon- Omens
Evroklidon- The Flames of Sodom
Antestor- The Forsaken
Lengsel- Solace
While I appreciate the enthusiasm, I think some of these categories are getting a bit excessive. I also think including 3+ albums by the same band is a bit excessive, it would be better to either use their best album or two and let people find more albums to listen to by them from there.
avatar
DoritoFingers
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Posts : 16
Join date : 2016-11-06
Location : Ontario, Canada

Back to top Go down

Re: Essential Christian Metal Albums.

Post by Superjuice on Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:31 pm

DoritoFingers wrote:(Example that someone sent me http://imgur.com/3lnpXn1 )
Pretty loose definition of power metal there.  If they're going to include Savatage, might as well put in Vicious Rumors and Metal Church.  If they include Kamelot and Conception then you open the door for all types of Progressive bands.  Think they need to differentiate between American (muscular riffs and semi-rough vocals) and Euro Power Metal (Cleaner sound, sometimes w/ speed, and possibly flowery).
avatar
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1329
Join date : 2012-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Essential Christian Metal Albums.

Post by DoritoFingers on Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:54 pm

Superjuice wrote:
DoritoFingers wrote:(Example that someone sent me http://imgur.com/3lnpXn1 )
Pretty loose definition of power metal there.  If they're going to include Savatage, might as well put in Vicious Rumors and Metal Church.  If they include Kamelot and Conception then you open the door for all types of Progressive bands.  Think they need to differentiate between American (muscular riffs and semi-rough vocals) and Euro Power Metal (Cleaner sound, sometimes w/ speed, and possibly flowery).
I'm not going to use that example to a tea. If I would I might as well put Powerwolf on the list of Christian metal.
avatar
DoritoFingers
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Posts : 16
Join date : 2016-11-06
Location : Ontario, Canada

Back to top Go down

Re: Essential Christian Metal Albums.

Post by Andreas89 on Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:35 am

Let me chip in on the power metal side of things, since it's my favourite genre.
A problem is that power metal has many variations, and some of them aren't played by christian bands. For example, this jolly Sabaton-Powerwolf-Alestorm stuff has no christian counterpart, just like fast, epic, anthemic and operatic stuff like Rhapsody or Fairyland. Nevertheless, there are some gems to be found.
I'm maintaining a high standard by the way; albums I mention should be able to compete with the genres greats. Which means I'll exclude some albums that are very dear to me. Anyway, here goes.

Harmony - Chapter II: The Aftermath (not sure though)
Narnia - Enter the Gate
Rob Rock - Garden of Chaos
Signum Regis - Chapter IV: The Reckoning (it's a real grower!)
Theocracy - Mirror of Souls

Personally I wouldn't include Seventh Avenue albums. They're relatively subpar; not too catchy and they drag on for way too long. But if you do, I'd go for either Southgate or Between the Worlds.
avatar
Andreas89
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 512
Join date : 2016-03-09
Age : 27
Location : Potsdam, Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Essential Christian Metal Albums.

Post by Andreas89 on Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:56 am

By the way, I haven't seen any prog metal being listed here. I think that's partly due to the fact that there's hardly any christian artists in that genre. But there's on album that deserves the attention:

Affector - Harmagedon
avatar
Andreas89
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 512
Join date : 2016-03-09
Age : 27
Location : Potsdam, Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Essential Christian Metal Albums.

Post by Bestemor Skogmus on Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:33 pm

For doom metal, a lot could be listed as good, but these two are essential:

Trouble - Psalm 9 (classical doom)
Paramæcium - Exhumed of the Earth (doom/death)



Antestor - Martyrium (doom/death) could be there also, especially if historical interest counts.
My Silent Wake - Shadow of Sorrow (doom/death) as well.

Bestemor Skogmus
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Posts : 2
Join date : 2017-01-21
Location : Norway

Back to top Go down

Re: Essential Christian Metal Albums.

Post by ThomasEversole on Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:39 pm

The lack of black metal in this thread makes me sad.
avatar
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1573
Join date : 2013-03-19
Age : 36

Back to top Go down

Re: Essential Christian Metal Albums.

Post by Hardcore Christian on Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:25 am

ThomasEversole wrote:The lack of black metal in this thread makes me sad.
Horde - Hellig Usvart
Frost Like Ashes - Tophet
Antestor - The Return Of The Black Death
avatar
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3581
Join date : 2013-07-31
Age : 17
Location : Spokane, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: Essential Christian Metal Albums.

Post by strangerhoncho on Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:21 am

DoritoFingers wrote:
While I appreciate the enthusiasm, I think some of these categories are getting a bit excessive. I also think including 3+ albums by the same band is a bit excessive, it would be better to either use their best album or two and let people find more albums to listen to by them from there.

I agree in theory.  If they had a best album or two, I would have only put those.  But that's the thing about many of the older bands especially...each album was unique and each album has an equal number of fans who call it their favorite.  There isn't a consensus on the "best" for the bands I listed more than one album from.

Also, there aren't really that many when you consider this is over the past 25+ years.  There aren't that many good xian bands, so there are more albums included for those few that are good (compared to secular).

strangerhoncho
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 624
Join date : 2012-02-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Essential Christian Metal Albums.

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum