The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Klank is back

+2
d@v!d
New Creation
6 posters

Go down

Klank is back Empty Klank is back

Post by New Creation Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:56 am

Klank is back and I'm not impressed. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the hard driving rock/metal infused electro/techno/industrial music he and others put out in the 90s. And I still enjoy that sound today.

HOWEVER, watching his lyric video this morning for his new song, I was disappointed. It's appears to be the same old story...

"I got hurt by a stuffy old church member years ago and I am still complaining about it 20-25 years later."

It's the same message that Argyle Park put out.

We get it. The 90s were an interesting time where the stuffy old 3 piece suit grandpas in the Christian faith were trying to deal with and understand their young brothers in Christ who were being ministered to by this new hard music. It was a tough time for both groups to learn to love each other. Many never healed from those encounters. Many never moved on. It looks like Klank has never moved on.

-----------------------------------------

For transparency, I've been hurt deeply as well. Been run out of one town and had two church splits while I was the Pastor. Those were some troubling and dark times. It's taken years to heal and not sure if I ever will. (I've shared some of this with David and Kerrick privately.) But, I have been getting better and learning to move on. I'm exploring new relationships and opening up again, even if it's taking the last 5 years to do so.
New Creation
New Creation
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Klank is back Empty Re: Klank is back

Post by d@v!d Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:49 pm

New Creation wrote:Klank is back and I'm not impressed. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the hard driving rock/metal infused electro/techno/industrial music he and others put out in the 90s. And I still enjoy that sound today.

HOWEVER, watching his lyric video this morning for his new song, I was disappointed. It's appears to be the same old story...

"I got hurt by a stuffy old church member years ago and I am still complaining about it 20-25 years later."

It's the same message that Argyle Park put out.

We get it. The 90s were an interesting time where the stuffy old 3 piece suit grandpas in the Christian faith were trying to deal with and understand their young brothers in Christ who were being ministered to by this new hard music. It was a tough time for both groups to learn to love each other. Many never healed from those encounters. Many never moved on. It looks like Klank has never moved on.

-----------------------------------------

For transparency, I've been hurt deeply as well. Been run out of one town and had two church splits while I was the Pastor. Those were some troubling and dark times. It's taken years to heal and not sure if I ever will. (I've shared some of this with David and Kerrick privately.) But, I have been getting better and learning to move on. I'm exploring new relationships and opening up again, even if it's taking the last 5 years to do so.
Give a link. I'm curious.

Taking you interpretation for fact, I agree. It would seem like a tired lack of creativity to keep rehashing the same theme like that for the last 25 years. As far as I know, he has renounced the faith as of a long time ago, so I would look to his music expecting much spiritual value.

I've heard sample of his music in the past but never actually listened to any of it, so i can't really speak on it.

So, I'll give a little response from my limited perspective. I met him back in the day (early 90's.) He's a nice guy. I ran into to him a couple of times few years ago and he not only remembered me, but gave me a warm greeting. He's a professional musician, so my guess is that this project is more of a product and sincere art, if you knwo what I mean.

I get it, it hits a sore spot with you. I'll likely have the same feelings when I hear it, if you give me a link, that is....
The truth is that we need to forgive as the Lord has taught us. Highly likely that every single one of us has been burned. I've been through something similar to what the singer of VR went through except that he lost in the 5 digits and I only in the low 4's. but it wasn't the money as much as the betrayal that had me bitter for some time.

Another thing to consider is that moaning about past injustices is part of the way that those who would divide us, in order to hurt and control us, use to perpetuate their play to deconstruct our values, and that, ironically enough, sells.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:00 pm

d@v!d wrote:

Give a link. I'm curious.

New Creation
New Creation
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:04 pm

Re-watching it, it's possible that two things have happened:

1. I projected my own past into the video
2. It's more vague than I remembered it being just earlier this morning. Perhaps allowing the listener to do what I did in point #1.
New Creation
New Creation
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:21 pm

I tell you what the problem is. The chorus. Say any word 8 times in a row and you sound like Tom Green. In this case, that word is "Manipulation".

This sucks compared to old kLaNk.
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by grandeped Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:01 pm

I happen to like his new stuff.

"Love" as a theme has been used for thousands of years in songs. Its even older and more stuffy than being hurt by the church if you want to look at it that way.

But the church is still hurting people, now more than ever. To say its a 25 year old thing is to diminish the very real problems that are happening now. Just because it also happened 25 years ago doesn't mean that it couldn't have also happened again recently.

This discussion board always makes me depressed about the current state of the church.

grandeped
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:46 pm

d@v!d wrote:...As far as I know, he has renounced the faith as of a long time ago...

Sad but not surprising if true.  I love his old stuff but it wasn't really "Christian" at all.  I love it musically (then and now), there were only 1-2 songs with spiritual value anyway.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:39 am

After listening to him on the As the Story Grows podcast recently (on which he talks about really getting back into church recently, and says directly that he is a Christian), I realized that I had downloaded his latest album Rise awhile back and never listened to it yet!  Whoops.  The samples on the podcast were awesome, so I finally gave it a listen...and it's awesome! 

It's the best industrial metal I've heard since the 90s and anyone who's remotely a fan of the metallic side of Circle of Dust, Argyle Park, and old Klank should check it out.  It's that warm melodic industrial metal that only Klayton, Buka, and Klank seem to be able to make (those other guys are not on this, but those 3 always make similar stuff).

On that podcast he talks about the meaning of each song track by track for those who are hung up on that kind of thing.  It's interesting.  I'm glad he's found his way back to God after a few decades.

strangerhoncho
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down