Defy The Demons

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Defy The Demons

Post by JLE3 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:46 pm

Hello everyone. I am new here and am looking for some feedback. I am a musician and have collaborated with a singer in New Zealand. We are working on a full length concept album together and have a few songs completed, but still many more to go. Although we are still hashing out the details of the "story" for this concept album, it is based on the idea of someone who has sinned in their life quite a bit and now is coming to the end of their life, regretting the things they have done and wondering if they will make it into Heaven. The subject matter of each song is different but in line with the story. For example, this song I'm attaching will come toward the beginning of the album and discusses the subject's drug addiction (one of the sins she regrets). So the "Demons" referred to are personal demons. The hope is that this album will start out dark but then end on a positive or fulfilling note.

Anyway, I am very happy with the way this particular song came together, however my opinion is obviously biased. What I would truly appreciate is some feedback from as many people as possible on two things 1) The song itself and 2) The mix.

The mix is of particular importance to me because we need to get it right on this song since it is one of the first. That way when the others are finished I can follow along the same guide in mixing them...if that makes sense.

Thank you very much for listening! I hope to hear from some of you soon.

Defy The Demons - By Evans & Stokes

Music: John Evans
Lyrics & Vocals: Jenny Stokes

JLE3
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Re: Defy The Demons

Post by Mysterious Gamer Dude on Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:12 am

Wow. I did not expect that. That was awesome and beautiful. The song is well put together and the vocals are spot on. The lyrics have a powerful message and even began relating to me in some parts of the song. The drums are also spot on and I know that is difficult to do. The lead guitar was very awesome and played well with the song. The only complaint I would have is that I could barely hear the rhythm guitar, if it were me I would make the rhythm more audible and down-tune it just slightly and possibly turn the distortion up a notch. But not too much because it blends well with the vocals and the lead. You and your partner have a lot of potential and did an amazing job. I can't wait to hear your new album when it comes out!

If I had to pick one band that this song reminded me of, I would choose HB, and I mean that as a compliment. 

I'd give this song a 4.5/5

Thumbs up Metal 3
Mysterious Gamer Dude
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by JLE3 on Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:40 pm

Wow thank you!!!!

I posted this a while ago and we have been busy with more songs since. Check these out!!

And this one on Soundcloud...

I Cry No More - Evans and Stokes
JLE3
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Mysterious Gamer Dude on Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:44 pm

That is deep man. I like music that gets you to think. For example, the song "My Lullaby" didn't just make me think, it made me ponder on what it was saying and I especially like that about that song. And when the rhythm came in as the man is about to be executed, I literally got chill bumps. Not to mention, that it is a very well orchistrated song, and is definetly my favorite of the three. The vocals are amazing and beautiful as expected, but yet even slightly better than expected. Absolutly nothing I can complain about. I'm proud to say "My Lullaby" gets a 5/5. The feeling that I can describe after listening to this song is mindblown.

The other two are very delicate sounding songs with a deep message. "Sadness" delivers the type of message that would not only relate to the listener, but also make them more aware and caring of others. Musically "Sadness" is a very soothing and classical style of music, I especially love the symphonic aspect of the song toward the end. The classical sounding guitar is very soothing to listen to, and the vocals go without saying---are outstanding. My only complaint is that it feels like it's missing something, but I couldn't tell you what exactly it is. I'll give it a rating of 4.1/5.

"I Cry No More" lyrically was a swift change of pace, add to that the seemingly seemless transition between the more beautifully sad sound of the previous songs and the hopeful sound of "I Cry No More" while still keeping it's main sound of the classical symphony-like beauty that the other songs carried so well. The vocals are still very amazing and the classical sounding guitar is very pleasing to listen to. I really can't find anything to complain about, other than it's my second favorite song out of all four. "I Cry No More" gets a 4.7/5.

Altogether, if the four songs that I've already heard were the only songs, they would make a great EP.
----------------------------

If you want, you can use this thread to let people know you are in a band. Just post a reply with the name of your band and the band website and Kerrick will add you to the list on this thread:

http://thecmr.forumotion.com/t6284-cmr-members-bands
Mysterious Gamer Dude
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by JLE3 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:24 pm

Thank you MGD!!!

We actually just remixed some of these so they sound even better. And we have several others in the works. I really appreciate your take on all of this. And I'm so glad you connected with the lyrics. These songs are all part of a larger total concept album. So the songs Sadness and I Cry No More are softer songs, but the are far apart on the album and sandwiched between much heavier songs. I know what you mean about Sadness kind of leaving you maybe wanting more, BUT that is where the next song comes in to continue the story. We are sort of posting bits and pieces here as we complete them and I think most of the songs stand alone well, but hopefully it will all make more sense as a whole.

Thanks again!

Here are a few samples of other songs we are working on for the album. Keep in mind though that these aren't fully mixed properly yet and still working on lyrics and vocals for a few of them. But I can't help but share them.

Kingdom
https://soundcloud.com/user-717882623/kingdom-sample/s-kISqA

Ritual
https://soundcloud.com/user-717882623/ritual-sample/s-CYPX3

Gabriel's Wings
https://soundcloud.com/user-717882623/gabriels-wings-sample/s-JHgLb
JLE3
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Mysterious Gamer Dude on Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:51 pm

I just listened to those three samples, and I have to say that when listening to them I was enjoying them-a lot. Both the vocals and and instrumentals were done very well, and was very well put-together. I also noticed that while listening to the sample of "Gabriel's Wings"  that the drums and lead were exceptionally well played and the timing on the drums were spot on every time. Hear me when I tell you that when your album comes out, I won't be surprised if people are calling Evans and Stokes the new HB. I'm very happy for you and your partner, and you are both very blessed with exceptional talent both musically and spiritually.

Smile
Mysterious Gamer Dude
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum