Christian metal no longer confronts sin

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Christian metal no longer confronts sin

Post by ThomasEversole on Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:02 pm

You're right, but context plays a part. Being introduced to this song as part of an album with other Christian songs, I could see how this has sin confronting elements.

As a one off track with no other entries, not so much since Christ isn't mentioned...
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th on Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:18 am

ThomasEversole wrote:
Friday13th wrote: The acknowledgement of sin is necessary to salvation BTW, so I don't know how you plan to present it but it has to reach a non-believer eventually.

...and the acknowledgement of sin has to be delivered in song? Last time I checked, accepting Christ who paid for our sins on the cross was necessary to salvation... not a sin checklist.

Who the heck does the necessary purge of sin from their life before they accept Christ anyway? Are we really in that big of a hurry to scrub people clean before they even get saved?

I think if you read what I said again you can see that "purge of sin" is not what I meant, Thomas. Nor am I advocating a tactless laundry list of sins. "Christ paid for our sins on the cross" is good enough for me. 

I do think we can dig a little deeper in our own Christian music to edify the church. All should be addressed in love. As I said, I want to hear songs that convict me. 

And if we can't do that because "a non-Christian might stumble upon it", we can't be that worried about offending people if our intentions are good and we have a reason to say it. I know a Christian who actually thinks that blatantly denying one's controversial beliefs and avoiding all the difficult topics of core Christianity is okay because you'll more likely get people to accept Jesus as a friend and a cool guy at first. The assumption is eventually they'll get to the point that he is their Lord and Savior. People aren't that dumb, they will feel the bait and switch tactic when they realize you didn't give them the whole deal.

I don't think we disagree on too much, Thomas. It's just which extreme we are guarding against.
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by mr.electric40 on Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:09 pm

and this discussion just goes on and on... 

I've been hearing all of this since 1983...

what makes "music" christian...  I once heard better to call it "sacred" vs "secular"...  

I'm just always amazed when this discussion starts because no one is satisfied and divisions are created...

No I didnt read all three pages of posts, but I did read the first page...  I know I'm late for this party and I havent posted here in a long time... but I'm just amazed that this subject always comes up and folks get all worked up...

just my observations... nothing more...  those who know me probably realize I'm so over this discussion personally... but I realize so many are not...

blessings...

Smile
mr.electric40
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 on Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:18 pm

xMetalMarkx wrote:Because there are fewer bands taking a certain type of lyrical approach these days, does it necessarily signify that the members or the projects are wishy-washy or wimpy in their handling of the Gospel?

I guess it all depends on if the band is trying to convey the Gospel in their music. If they are, the topic of sin is absolutely a essential component I would think.
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 on Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:30 pm

New Creation wrote:Question for Thomas Eversole:

Do you appreciate the message in this video? (whether you like the music or not is another matter)

To me, this kind of stuff is easy to condemn because both secular and Christian people would both acknowledge that this is wrong ( for the Christian, evil ). The secular world would totally get on board with this social " gospel " type of thing.

I guess if you were sharing the Gospel with one of these people engaged in this type of criminal activity, you would have no choice but to " confront " their sin of human trafficking and see if they would repent of it and turn in faith to Christ.
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum