The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chainsaw Bass Sound

2 posters

Go down

Chainsaw Bass Sound Empty Chainsaw Bass Sound

Post by Noods Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:38 am

Hi guys. I've been trying to get a chainsaw sound but had no luck. I use a 5 string Ibanez (drop tuned), a Boss ODB-3 Bass OverDrive Pedal and have a Hartke B900 Bass Combo Amp.
Any help would be great.

Cheers.
Noods
Noods
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Chainsaw Bass Sound Empty Re: Chainsaw Bass Sound

Post by exo Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:15 pm

Like classic Swedish deathmetal "chainsaw sound"? I kinda think that's gonna be tough to get with a bass, too much distortion on a bass just sounds like mud. A lot of THAT "chainsaw" sound is carried by the guitars.....A bass by itself just doesn't lend itself to that tight, buzz saw song, it supports and fills holes in the sonic spectrum the guitars have.

I do have a Facebook buddy that plays bass in a band of that style, and I believe he's actually using a Big Muff pedal into a line 6 head and Sunn 4*10.

My gut says be VERY careful with the "bass" knob on the pedal you're using, because you don't want to "mud up" the low end goin into the amp, and rely on your amp EQ section to bring the "oomph" back to your sound.   I'd also think that a single 15" speaker isn't necessarily ideal for reproducing this sort of tone, just from a physics standpoint.  Higher frequencies work better off smaller speakers.

You might also want to look into a graphic EQ pedal to fine tune things with.

"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Noods Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:49 pm

Cheers mate, still working at it, might have to get a EQ pedal. On the plus side I have a very Melvins sound going.
Noods
Noods
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down