Recently Watched Movies

Page 15 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Recently Watched Movies

Post by deathisgain on Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:24 pm

Been a while since I posted.

Logan: Really good movie.

Watched the three Christopher Nolan Batman films with my son. The Dark Knight is still the best. But it was neat watching them together. It gave more cohesion to the films than I remember when I saw them as they came out.

A Sound of Thunder: This was a crappy version of a Ray Bradbury story.

Battleship: My son had a DS game based on the movie, he asked about it, so I downloaded it. Was actually a fun movie.

The Mummy: I didn't think this was that bad as people made it out to be.
deathisgain
Metal Slacker

http://www.deathisgain.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:30 pm

deathisgain wrote:Logan: Really good movie.

We'll agree to disagree.  alien

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:39 pm

Not quite a movie, but my wife and I watched Ben Shapiro's speech to Berkeley yesterday evening as it was live-streaming on youtube.

(Warning, some foul language)

He's an interesting guy.  I hadn't heard him speak before - or ready anything of his for that matter - but he had some good stuff to say.  It's encouraging to see young and intelligent conservatives speaking up.  He was rather harsh and somewhat disrespectful to the Left which I don't think was necessary, but it didn't detract too much the rest of his speech.  The Q&A afterwards was worthwhile too.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:46 am

Kerrick wrote:

What?!?!
deathisgain
Metal Slacker

http://www.deathisgain.com

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:57 am

Kerrick wrote:

While I liked the overall plot, I have to agree with Kerrick.  I could have done without all the over the top F-bombs every few seconds.  The gratuitous boob scene was not even needed and should have been cut out.  While this one is darker, the rest of this series has been marketed at children with toys and cereal tie ins.  They knew that parents would still take their kids to this even though it was R rated.  It is the only X-Men movie that I don't and won't own.

The Mummy: I didn't think this was that bad as people made it out to be.

What most people didn't like is that they never really made you like the hero or fear/hate the villian.  The acting throughout was almost as flat as the Kirk Cameron "Left Behind" movie.  Actually, the Cameron film was better than this remake of The Mummy.  Bring back Brendan Frazier or leave this franchise alone, please!
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by L8T on Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:36 pm

American Assassin
L8T
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:55 am

deathisgain wrote:
Kerrick wrote:

What?!?!

It wasn't TERRIBLE or anything.  My thoughts:

Kerrick wrote:I watched Logan on the plane flight to NH this past week.  Meh, it was ok.  Sure, it "broke the mold" of the very tired superhero formula... but instead was just another generic action/drama flick with an aging/selfish/reluctant tough-guy who just needs a cute little kid to break through to his soft heart while protecting her from bad guys.  While it was predictable and formulaic to every last detail, it was still a decent movie overall, though it sorta fell apart towards the end IMO.  I can't say I'd recommend it, but it wasn't a terrible movie either.  It did have a lot of swearing and violence which seemed a little forced, as if they were simply ensuring it'd get those "dark," "gritty," and particularly-R-rated tags.

Kerrick wrote:Oh, and whoever did the sound-effects might need some talking to...  There were tires screeching as if on pavement during a scene in which a vehicle was driving aggressively on dirt/gravel haha.  Also, there was a classic-Hollywood scene in which a bunch of bad guys point their guns at a character and for some reason the guns all make sounds as if the bolts are being released.  I highly doubt a group of mercenaries would keep their guns unloaded until they point them at someone.  They always add that noise in movies and it's so silly.

I watched Alien: Covenant a couple nights ago.  It was definitely better than its prequel, Prometheus, and for the most part was pretty good.  Similar to Logan, it started falling apart towards the end though - which is too bad because it left sorta a bad taste for the whole movie when in fact really only the last bit was not-so-great.  I was pleasantly surprised how un-preachy it was: I was afraid from the trailers that it'd be particularly anti-Christian, pro-liberal-agenda, etc. but it really wasn't.  It was just an entertaining sci-fi/horror film.  The actors all did great jobs, though the characters were all extremely thin and with very little development.  For fans of the Alien "world", I recommend it.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:19 pm

This weekend I watched a couple movies.  Yesterday I showed Veronika John Carpenter's 1982 classic The Thing.  I've owned the DVD for at least a decade but finally got it on Blu-Ray.  It's so good.  She liked it but didn't love it.  She was pretty impressed with the special effects though.

And Saturday evening we watched one of the more odd movies I have ever seen.  It's called From Noon Till Three and stars Charles Bronson.  It was released in 1976.  It's rated PG and while there's some implied sex and violence, none of it is on screen and especially by today's standards, it's quite benign.  It's a comedic western about a group of five men on their way to rob a bank when one of their horses breaks its leg, forcing one of the men (Charles Bronson) to stay behind at this attractive widow's (played by his real-life wife) house on the outskirts of town.  It goes without saying that of course romance blooms... but then the movie takes some twists and turns and goes in a direction you certainly wouldn't expect.  Veronika and I were just kind of baffled while watching it, unsure whether the movie was self aware enough to realize just how ridiculous it became - in a good way (I thought).  I gotta say, it was quite unique and for that I really enjoyed it.  If you plan on watching it, I recommend not reading any synopsis or watching any trailers for it.  Just watch it and let its zaniness wash over you hahaha.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld on Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:46 pm

The Fate of the Furious

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:32 am

American Made
House on Haunted Hill (original)
Night of the Living Dead
Be Afraid 
Silence
Insidious 3
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:14 pm

^Getting in the Halloween spirit I see!

The original Night Of The Living Dead is masterful.  I saw the old Vincent Price House On Haunted Hill many many years ago but don't remember much.  Did you enjoy it?

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude on Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:59 pm

Kerrick wrote:^Getting in the Halloween spirit I see!

The original Night Of The Living Dead is masterful.  I saw the old Vincent Price House On Haunted Hill many many years ago but don't remember much.  Did you enjoy it?

I watch it every year. There's a cheese factor to it, but Vincent is so good in that type of role. I especially like him in the Poe stories he starred in. For me, Poe and Price were made for each other.
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:52 pm

Nice.  I might need to rewatch that one some day...

Has anyone seen the new Blade Runner?  I'd really like to see it and am curious how it is.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by TMLMKE on Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:26 pm

IT ( 1990 part 1 )
TMLMKE
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:31 pm

The Founder
Kickboxer

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:54 pm

Wonder Woman
Going In Style
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:10 am

The Whole Truth
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld on Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:37 pm

The Last Mimzy

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice on Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:08 pm

Gleaming the Cube (1989) - I dvr'd this to get some of that 80's nostalgia factor, but I've never seen this before and I had to see everything from the 80's.  Good gosh, I can see why it has such a terrible reputation.  It's this super serious murder mystery based around a skate-kid (Christian Slater) and the death of his adopted Asian brother.  They try to make it some kinda steely-hard film noir with this beat cop who investigates the murder, but the film is completely uneven when skating is the featured novelty in the film. 

Ultimately it falls flat when our skater hero foils all the plans of the baddies by skating circles around them and executing perfectly timed jumps to make sure those villainous thugs get justice for offing his brother.  I'd say about the first 10 mins of the film are worthwhile getting a view of skating culture in the beginning and checking into a high school for an 80's nostalgia fix.  After that it is all down hill with a lugubrious plot line.
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Verbum Lux on Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:25 pm

alldatndensum wrote:Wonder Woman

I saw that recently too.  It's a great movie.  Doesn't quite live up to the hype, but great nonetheless.  My one criticism is that I didn't really care for the "boss battle" at the end.  Otherwise, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Verbum Lux
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by TMLMKE on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:11 pm

Never Hike Alone (Friday the 13th fan made film)
TMLMKE
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice on Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:11 pm

TMLMKE wrote:Never Hike Alone (Friday the 13th fan made film)
I'm a slasher film connoisseur (or was; haven't seen any for several years) and reviewed 100's of cheesy 80's slashers like Hide and Go Shriek.  This any good?
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom on Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:21 pm

Metropolis (1927)
Silent sci-fi flick
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017136/?ref_=nv_sr_1
oldschooldoom
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TMLMKE on Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:30 pm

Superjuice wrote:
TMLMKE wrote:Never Hike Alone (Friday the 13th fan made film)
I'm a slasher film connoisseur (or was; haven't seen any for several years) and reviewed 100's of cheesy 80's slashers like Hide and Go Shriek.  This any gooNoN
Not bad for a fan made effort
TMLMKE
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice on Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:06 pm

Blade Runner 2049 - I love this movie.  If but for one reason: it doubles down on Agent Deckard being a replicant...  No, actually, it triples down on it...  well, quadruples down... actually, quintuples down on it...  aww heck, the whole movie's plot is based on it.  I heart this movie for that and it is a movie I will never watch again. 

There was a time when the thought of Deckard being a replicant to the general public was just one of those theories on that thar innernets.  I first heard about it in the 90's long after Ridley Scott re-released the director's cut of the film 10 years after the studio cut in 1982.  I read the theory and it made sense to me, and Scott, more or less, confirmed the theory in an interview.  However, there was still the majority who thought it was far too much "seeing into things" and no matter how much evidence one brought to the table and how well thought out it was the response was "your reading things that aren't there" or "that didn't have deep symbolism, it's just a slow, boring movie."  No no no, why would a director who spends thousands of hours putting together a film put things in there that might slip by the viewer at first watch?  Maybe he has a take on the story that transcends the first glance of the story?  Nahhhhh.....  It's just for superficial entertainment.  There's no such thing as subplot, allegory, character arc, or symbolism...  Or, you might have that staunch defender of their original interpretation of the film and Decker being a replicant was just "too deceptive" or "not evident enough" and they would go on to defend that viewpoint to their grave.  This was usually done on a webzone forum of some sort like Rottentomatoes.com general discussion forum and I certainly encountered these types and you throw down the quotes from Ridley Scott but to no avail.  You see, people want to believe what they want to believe despite any well-rounded ideas to thwart these thoughts.  We've all encountered it after just spending 1 hour or 2 browsing any social media of any type whatsoever.  People just know how to spin an argument and weave a web of words, there's nothing really there.  These are my "Deckard is a human" spinners who waste my time and theirs just for the fun of it.

I only go so far.  I present my case and leave it at that.  For instance, I once actually discussed whether or not Balrogs have wings (it's an age old Lord of the Rings debate).  I took the simple side of the forensic that Tolkien states that the creature known as a Balrog has wings when Gandolf encounters him at the Mines of Moria thus, gee whiz, I took side that the Balrog has wings...  This particular individual was 'more enlightened' on the subject and probably has "The Silmarrillion" memorized then proceeded to wax the lore in my face on how Balrog's are transcendent beings who choose their own form and blah, blah, blah.. blah, blah, blah.  To which I replied:  _________.  Nothing.  I let a fool to his own folly and I only go so far on debates on the ultimate nerd debate in the universe (see above). 

This happened on the Tourniquet boards, by the way, back in the early 00's.  You know, yesteryear - the good ole' days when Message Boards were a hip thing and much, much more active and traversed by many a' diverse individual.

Oh, yeah, as for the movie:  slower than 2001: A Space Odyssey and drearier than the original Blade Runner, I heartily recommend this to die hards only.  The style chosen by our newly appointed director is cinema verite' and one could easily call this film "A Day in the Life of a Android."  Want to see an adroid make eggs?  Farm protein?  Boil coffee?  Spend an evening with his imaginary hologram wife?  Yeah, that's right our protaginist is married to a hologram.  The camera will linger and so will you with it.  The future is bleak and this film makes doggone sure you know it by giving you a life experience in it's dystopian reality.  Yeah, not exactly the formula for success in today's box office, but hey, look at today's movie industry and one must wonder if there's even a market for any kind of film.

The visual extravagance of Ridley's Blade Runner is somewhat diminished in this new version and maybe, for respect to the filmmakers, this was their intent: to make a doomier version of the world than the original.  There is a lot more smoke, a lot more gray in this version.  I guess they wanted to focus on the film-noir aspect and they do so in spades.  There is nary a character with a redeemable feature other than the robots.  Gone is the opulent Tyrell Corporation, which closed down, obviously due to it's creator's demise by Roy Batty.  In it's steed is the Wallace Corp. headed by a meglomaniac who is basically treading in Tyrell's wake and wishes he were half as brilliant, but is blinded by his shortcomings to the genius of Tyrell.  Perfectly portrayed by the physical feature of Wallace having actual blindness (possibly a symbolic gesture of being a resurrected version of Tyrell who was made blind by a brutal act of Batty). 

The action, or rather violence, in here is cold-blooded and unforgiving; there are no cut-aways and we are "treated" to all of the brutality of replicant to human carnage and replicant on replicant fighting.   Reproduction is treated as a mechanical act except when involving robots only then is some sorta romanticism involved with it.

I think there's an obvious theme of robots becoming more human and humanity becoming amoral machines.  Even the holograms are shown as having more soul than the humans (replicant with hologram love?).  And, if you want to get into predictive programming, this is something the elite social planners desire: All of humanity being replaced by robots since they're, you know, cheaper and more efficient plus they don't sleep and demand benefits.  The film is basically an all out assualt on the behaviour of humans and wishes to throw them into one reprobate bunch.  If one were without any standards,  then one would just throw up their hands and say 'let the AI have it all" and just give in hopelessly after being drug through the murky sewege of this fillm's world.  The only hope offered up in this film's reality is a resistance group of replicants trying to find their messiah in the final act of Tyrell: the offspring of two replicants.

So, for all the fools I suffered (or not, I just ditched the argument) back in the day about our hero Agent Rick Deckard being just a projection of Tyrell's imagination.  What do you have to say now?

Last edited by Superjuice on Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TMLMKE on Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:49 pm

The Foreigner
TMLMKE
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation on Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:09 pm

TMLMKE wrote:The Foreigner

I saw The Foreigner too this year. Possibly the worst action movie I've ever seen.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0312700

Oh, you mean the Chan version? I'm dying to see it.
New Creation
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:33 pm

New Creation wrote:

I saw The Foreigner too this year. Possibly the worst action movie I've ever seen.

Haha wow, that does look pretty terrible.

We watched The Faculty last night.  It's a pretty fun movie about teachers who get taken over by aliens.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by TMLMKE on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:25 pm

New Creation wrote:

Yes, The Jackie Chan film Smile  I thought it was awesome!
TMLMKE
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Mysterious Gamer Dude on Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:43 pm

Just seen Underworld: Awakening for the first time the other day. I have to say I'm really digging this movie series. Now all that I need is all of the Resident Evil movies on Blu-Ray. Wink
Mysterious Gamer Dude
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian on Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:31 pm

New Creation wrote:

I thought you actually meant the new one! Shocked

I havent seen it yet but to have Chan and Brosnan and the director of Casino Royale and Golden Eye

They would have to crap up pretty bad for it to be a terrible movie Razz
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TMLMKE on Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:16 pm

Halloween (1978)
TMLMKE
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:39 pm

^Classic.  I haven't seen that one in years.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude on Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:33 pm

TMLMKE wrote:Halloween (1978)

I agree with Kerrick, it's a classic. I thought Rob Zombie's remake was equally as good.
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TMLMKE on Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:20 pm

Halloween II (1981)
TMLMKE
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:26 am

Annabelle: Creation
Halloween (1978)
The Pit and the Pendulum 
Hocus Pocus
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TMLMKE on Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:12 pm

Halloween Twenty Years Later (1998)
TMLMKE
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:51 pm

Thor: Ragnarok
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:55 am

The Mummy
Dead Again in Tombstone
Crossroads
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:24 pm

metaldude wrote:The Mummy

The Brendan Fraser version?  I haven't seen that one in years but it's a heck of a lot of fun.  I loved that movie growing up.

Have you seen Odd Thomas?  It's by the same director and terribly underrated.  I highly recommend it.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation on Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:37 pm

Kerrick wrote:

The Brendan Fraser version?  I haven't seen that one in years but it's a heck of a lot of fun.  I loved that movie growing up.

The Brendan Fraser version is a wild, comedic fun ride.
My personal favorite is The Mummy (1932) starring Boris Karloff. I've watched it at least 3 times in the last few years.

I have not decided yet if I will watch the Tom Cruise version, I hear it's a stinker.
New Creation
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude on Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:38 pm

Kerrick wrote:

No, this was the Tom Cruise version. It started out pretty interesting but faded into a movie that I wanted to use to take a nap. It was too zombie-ish for me. But, to be fair, my wife really liked it.
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TMLMKE on Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:29 pm

Murder on the Orient Express (2017)
TMLMKE
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld on Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:24 am

Annabelle: Creation

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Fundy on Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:04 pm

When ever I see that, I want to read
"Thor: Anorak"

Okay, so he buys a coat!
Fundy
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:29 pm

Fundy wrote:Thor: Ragnarok

When ever I see that, I want to read
"Thor: Anorak"

Okay, so he buys a coat!

As silly as this movie was, that would probably work as a major plot point!  lol!

In my opinion, this was the weakest of all the Marvel films following right behind Spiderman: Homecoming.  I hope the next few films are better!  DC has a real shot at competing with them if they do their future movies like they did Wonder Woman!
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian on Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:09 am

I just watched the original Lethal Weapon for this first time

Holy crap its one epic movie

Mel Gibson kills it, very similar character to Max but even crazier, loved the action
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:33 pm

^That's a fun one.  The sequels aren't as good but they're all still pretty enjoyable.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian on Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:14 pm

Kerrick wrote:^That's a fun one.  The sequels aren't as good but they're all still pretty enjoyable.
Dude I agree so far, just watched Lethal Weapon 2 and it was more comedic, I enjoyed the comedy, but the first movie was overall just better, the plot had a few annoying bits as well

Either way excited to watch 3 and 4

Watched an episode of the new TV show as well, I liked it a lot, gonna binge watch that after the movies Smile
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude on Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:58 pm

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
The Shack
White Fang
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight