Recently Watched Movies

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Recently Watched Movies

Post by deathisgain on Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:24 pm

Been a while since I posted.

Logan: Really good movie.

Watched the three Christopher Nolan Batman films with my son. The Dark Knight is still the best. But it was neat watching them together. It gave more cohesion to the films than I remember when I saw them as they came out.

A Sound of Thunder: This was a crappy version of a Ray Bradbury story.

Battleship: My son had a DS game based on the movie, he asked about it, so I downloaded it. Was actually a fun movie.

The Mummy: I didn't think this was that bad as people made it out to be.
deathisgain
Metal Slacker

http://www.deathisgain.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:30 pm

deathisgain wrote:Logan: Really good movie.

We'll agree to disagree.  alien

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:39 pm

Not quite a movie, but my wife and I watched Ben Shapiro's speech to Berkeley yesterday evening as it was live-streaming on youtube.

(Warning, some foul language)

He's an interesting guy.  I hadn't heard him speak before - or ready anything of his for that matter - but he had some good stuff to say.  It's encouraging to see young and intelligent conservatives speaking up.  He was rather harsh and somewhat disrespectful to the Left which I don't think was necessary, but it didn't detract too much the rest of his speech.  The Q&A afterwards was worthwhile too.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:46 am

Kerrick wrote:

What?!?!
deathisgain
Metal Slacker

http://www.deathisgain.com

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:57 am

Kerrick wrote:

While I liked the overall plot, I have to agree with Kerrick.  I could have done without all the over the top F-bombs every few seconds.  The gratuitous boob scene was not even needed and should have been cut out.  While this one is darker, the rest of this series has been marketed at children with toys and cereal tie ins.  They knew that parents would still take their kids to this even though it was R rated.  It is the only X-Men movie that I don't and won't own.

The Mummy: I didn't think this was that bad as people made it out to be.

What most people didn't like is that they never really made you like the hero or fear/hate the villian.  The acting throughout was almost as flat as the Kirk Cameron "Left Behind" movie.  Actually, the Cameron film was better than this remake of The Mummy.  Bring back Brendan Frazier or leave this franchise alone, please!
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by L8T on Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:36 pm

American Assassin
L8T
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:55 am

deathisgain wrote:
Kerrick wrote:

What?!?!

It wasn't TERRIBLE or anything.  My thoughts:

Kerrick wrote:I watched Logan on the plane flight to NH this past week.  Meh, it was ok.  Sure, it "broke the mold" of the very tired superhero formula... but instead was just another generic action/drama flick with an aging/selfish/reluctant tough-guy who just needs a cute little kid to break through to his soft heart while protecting her from bad guys.  While it was predictable and formulaic to every last detail, it was still a decent movie overall, though it sorta fell apart towards the end IMO.  I can't say I'd recommend it, but it wasn't a terrible movie either.  It did have a lot of swearing and violence which seemed a little forced, as if they were simply ensuring it'd get those "dark," "gritty," and particularly-R-rated tags.

Kerrick wrote:Oh, and whoever did the sound-effects might need some talking to...  There were tires screeching as if on pavement during a scene in which a vehicle was driving aggressively on dirt/gravel haha.  Also, there was a classic-Hollywood scene in which a bunch of bad guys point their guns at a character and for some reason the guns all make sounds as if the bolts are being released.  I highly doubt a group of mercenaries would keep their guns unloaded until they point them at someone.  They always add that noise in movies and it's so silly.

I watched Alien: Covenant a couple nights ago.  It was definitely better than its prequel, Prometheus, and for the most part was pretty good.  Similar to Logan, it started falling apart towards the end though - which is too bad because it left sorta a bad taste for the whole movie when in fact really only the last bit was not-so-great.  I was pleasantly surprised how un-preachy it was: I was afraid from the trailers that it'd be particularly anti-Christian, pro-liberal-agenda, etc. but it really wasn't.  It was just an entertaining sci-fi/horror film.  The actors all did great jobs, though the characters were all extremely thin and with very little development.  For fans of the Alien "world", I recommend it.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:19 pm

This weekend I watched a couple movies.  Yesterday I showed Veronika John Carpenter's 1982 classic The Thing.  I've owned the DVD for at least a decade but finally got it on Blu-Ray.  It's so good.  She liked it but didn't love it.  She was pretty impressed with the special effects though.

And Saturday evening we watched one of the more odd movies I have ever seen.  It's called From Noon Till Three and stars Charles Bronson.  It was released in 1976.  It's rated PG and while there's some implied sex and violence, none of it is on screen and especially by today's standards, it's quite benign.  It's a comedic western about a group of five men on their way to rob a bank when one of their horses breaks its leg, forcing one of the men (Charles Bronson) to stay behind at this attractive widow's (played by his real-life wife) house on the outskirts of town.  It goes without saying that of course romance blooms... but then the movie takes some twists and turns and goes in a direction you certainly wouldn't expect.  Veronika and I were just kind of baffled while watching it, unsure whether the movie was self aware enough to realize just how ridiculous it became - in a good way (I thought).  I gotta say, it was quite unique and for that I really enjoyed it.  If you plan on watching it, I recommend not reading any synopsis or watching any trailers for it.  Just watch it and let its zaniness wash over you hahaha.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld on Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:46 pm

The Fate of the Furious

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:32 am

American Made
House on Haunted Hill (original)
Night of the Living Dead
Be Afraid 
Silence
Insidious 3
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:14 pm

^Getting in the Halloween spirit I see!

The original Night Of The Living Dead is masterful.  I saw the old Vincent Price House On Haunted Hill many many years ago but don't remember much.  Did you enjoy it?

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude on Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:59 pm

Kerrick wrote:^Getting in the Halloween spirit I see!

The original Night Of The Living Dead is masterful.  I saw the old Vincent Price House On Haunted Hill many many years ago but don't remember much.  Did you enjoy it?

I watch it every year. There's a cheese factor to it, but Vincent is so good in that type of role. I especially like him in the Poe stories he starred in. For me, Poe and Price were made for each other.
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:52 pm

Nice.  I might need to rewatch that one some day...

Has anyone seen the new Blade Runner?  I'd really like to see it and am curious how it is.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by TMLMKE on Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:26 pm

IT ( 1990 part 1 )
TMLMKE
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:31 pm

The Founder
Kickboxer

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:54 pm

Wonder Woman
Going In Style
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Yesterday at 10:10 am

The Whole Truth
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Yesterday at 3:37 pm

The Last Mimzy

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Yesterday at 9:08 pm

Gleaming the Cube (1989) - I dvr'd this to get some of that 80's nostalgia factor, but I've never seen this before and I had to see everything from the 80's.  Good gosh, I can see why it has such a terrible reputation.  It's this super serious murder mystery based around a skate-kid (Christian Slater) and the death of his adopted Asian brother.  They try to make it some kinda steely-hard film noir with this beat cop who investigates the murder, but the film is completely uneven when skating is the featured novelty in the film. 

Ultimately it falls flat when our skater hero foils all the plans of the baddies by skating circles around them and executing perfectly timed jumps to make sure those villainous thugs get justice for offing his brother.  I'd say about the first 10 mins of the film are worthwhile getting a view of skating culture in the beginning and checking into a high school for an 80's nostalgia fix.  After that it is all down hill with a lugubrious plot line.
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Verbum Lux Yesterday at 9:25 pm

alldatndensum wrote:Wonder Woman

I saw that recently too.  It's a great movie.  Doesn't quite live up to the hype, but great nonetheless.  My one criticism is that I didn't really care for the "boss battle" at the end.  Otherwise, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Verbum Lux
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum