The Lack Of Reverb

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Lack Of Reverb

Post by Guest on Tue May 03, 2016 2:30 pm

I hear all these bands that say we want an 80s sound or we are influenced heavily by the 80s and some are kinda close but it seems to me that what  is missing is the reverb added to the sound..especially the drums... if they want a truley 80s sound they need reverb/echo (and cowbell Razz )...what do you guys think...

Back to top Go down

Re: The Lack Of Reverb

Post by deathisgain on Tue May 03, 2016 4:31 pm

I hate the reverb sound.
deathisgain
Metal Slacker

http://www.deathisgain.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Throne of thorns on Tue May 03, 2016 5:23 pm

A touch of reverb on vocals really helps any singer in quite a big way. I actually like reverb on bass as well has a nice quality to it.
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian on Tue May 03, 2016 8:06 pm

I mean thats the thing that sets Soldiers UC and To Hell With The Devil above Fallen and NMHTP for me honestly

Its the sound that it was recorded in the 80s (not necessarily worse quality) but to me its a certain effect that the polished modern rock lacks

Idk if thats what reverb technically is Razz
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Throne of thorns on Tue May 03, 2016 10:46 pm

Hardcore Christian wrote:I mean thats the thing that sets Soldiers UC and To Hell With The Devil above Fallen and NMHTP for me honestly

Its the sound that it was recorded in the 80s (not necessarily worse quality) but to me its a certain effect that the polished modern rock lacks

reverb is an effect that sustains notes and gives it more depth and soul. you can put it on any instrument but the trick is not to over do it as with any effect.
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian on Tue May 03, 2016 10:50 pm

Throne of thorns wrote:
Hardcore Christian wrote:I mean thats the thing that sets Soldiers UC and To Hell With The Devil above Fallen and NMHTP for me honestly

reverb is an effect that sustains notes and gives it more depth and soul. you can put it on any instrument but the trick is not to over do it as with any effect.
Well I was way off lol

But thats my reason for liking the classics more than the modern stuff tongue
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed May 04, 2016 11:02 am

here are a couple of examples of really heavily reverbed 80s songs with huge amounts on the drums..

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho on Wed May 04, 2016 2:32 pm

How can anyone not like reverb?!  It improves every song.

strangerhoncho
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d on Wed May 04, 2016 2:45 pm

Savage Amusement wrote:I hear all these bands that say we want an 80s sound or we are influenced heavily by the 80s and some are kinda close but it seems to me that what  is missing is the reverb added to the sound..especially the drums... if they want a truley 80s sound they need reverb/echo (and cowbell Razz )...what do you guys think...
I think you're right. That and keeping the bass drum thin and muddy. Since the 90s it's all boomy click.

On the subject I was listening to some 70's music and, I swear, they were using spring reverb on the drums. Ouch..
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Wed May 04, 2016 5:13 pm

I think that well used reverb can make a project sound huge!  However, if you use too much, it makes the drums sound fake to me.  Listen to Whitecross' first two albums and the drums sound like empty cardboard boxes in a cave.  However, the drums on "Triumphant Return" are much clearer as they still have reverb but not too much.

Use some reverb on any instrument--just find the balance where it sounds great and not take away from the musical experience.
alldatndensum
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by messiaen77 on Thu May 05, 2016 12:18 am

I find your lack of reverb disturbing.
messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus on Thu May 05, 2016 7:17 am

I really miss those huge drum sounds from the 80s. Whitecross' first album is a classic case. That album had a monstrous drum sound. When they re-recorded that album, it lost 75% of its power because the drums were just normal and didn't have that reverb. 

So many bands used that reverb and it sounded awesome. Skid Row, Dokken, Shout, Whitecross, Barren Cross, Ratt, etc. Part of why I like these bands was the huge drum sound of the time. You can't truly be like the 80s if you use weak, un-reverbed drums.
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Thu May 05, 2016 7:17 am

It is your destiny.  I have foreseen it.
alldatndensum
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Blake on Fri May 06, 2016 2:19 pm

Reverb does help make vocals sound fuller. I did that with some amelioration songs. Added a very slight reverb and it really makes a sound come to life. Too much reverb and all you have is an echo
Blake
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://reanimatedradio.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice on Fri May 06, 2016 2:52 pm

Follower of Jesus wrote:I really miss those huge drum sounds from the 80s. Whitecross' first album is a classic case. That album had a monstrous drum sound. When they re-recorded that album, it lost 75% of its power because the drums were just normal and didn't have that reverb. 

So many bands used that reverb and it sounded awesome. Skid Row, Dokken, Shout, Whitecross, Barren Cross, Ratt, etc. Part of why I like these bands was the huge drum sound of the time. You can't truly be like the 80s if you use weak, un-reverbed drums.
Def Leppard started that sound and I think White Lion/Greg D'Angelo perfected it on Main Attraction.
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum