Daniel Band

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Daniel Band

Post by bjorn agin on Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:53 am

I pulled out my Best of Daniel Band disc yesterday. What a great band!




Too bad they haven't regrouped and recorded new music. Anybody else into them?
avatar
bjorn agin
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 2459
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : Illinois

Back to top Go down

Re: Daniel Band

Post by Thiago-Brazil on Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:33 am

They did a few gigs some years ago.
And they also released two songs within their debut rerelease: It All Turn to Rain and I Give You All.
The first song is killer and the second one is a good worship song.

I love the band and wish they had released a brand new album. All their 5 albums are great hard rock albums and there were no drastic change in style. 
I remember a few years ago, I was going to Purchase the rerelease of Rise Up and Running Out of Time and I was a little afraid of not pleasing myself with one of these albums, as it looks so hard to release 5 great albums in a row. Even my favorite bands wouldn`t manage to do that.

For instance, Bloodgood released 4 awesome albums in a row, but All Stand Together is a far cry from the other. Stryper released great albums as SUC and THWTD, but also albums that I simply don’t care TYABA and IGWT. Deliverance: Three great albums in a row. Tourniquet: Three great albums in a row, and so on.
 
From the top of my mind, another band that have been able to release 5 outstanding albums is Idle Cure.
avatar
Thiago-Brazil
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1349
Join date : 2012-03-12
Age : 29
Location : São Paulo - Brazil

Back to top Go down

Re: Daniel Band

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:27 pm

I like all of Daniel bands albums...They were one of the first bands I ever heard with "Christian" lyrics..when I was a freshman back in high school there was this religious kid who wouldn't leave me and my friends alone and he would make up cassettes by bands like DB and petra and try to get us to listen to them..so I finally listened to the Daniel Band cassette. I thought it was ok but discarded it and moved on...I rediscovered the band years later and really liked them...although there are a few songs that I don't like the lyrics on...

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Daniel Band

Post by Thiago-Brazil on Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:44 pm

Savage Amusement wrote:I like all of Daniel bands albums...They were one of the first bands I ever heard with "Christian" lyrics..when I was a freshman back in high school there was this religious kid who wouldn't leave me and my friends alone and he would make up cassettes by bands like DB and petra and try to get us to listen to them..so I finally listened to the Daniel Band cassette. I thought it was ok but discarded it and moved on...I rediscovered the band years later and really liked them...although there are a few songs that I don't like the lyrics on...
What is the problem with their lyrics (or some of them)? Give us some example.

My guess is that it is not as sofisticated as Tourniquet lyrics, for instance.
avatar
Thiago-Brazil
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1349
Join date : 2012-03-12
Age : 29
Location : São Paulo - Brazil

Back to top Go down

Re: Daniel Band

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:52 pm

What is the problem with their lyrics (or some of them)? Give us some example.
Well, for one the song undercover christian...It preaches a theology and thought that I completely disagree with..in fact if a preacher preached the lyrics as a sermon I would call it false teachings..I skip that song when I play the cd...another example might be the song "Lustful Illusions"..I disagree with the lyric that says Satan is at the core... Those are 2 examples.. Daniel Band isn't the only band like this ..several "Christian" bands have lyrics I dont like...and since you mentioned Tourniquet I have no use for that band at all..I hate their lyrics, theology and all that animal rights crap they involve themselves in...

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Daniel Band

Post by Soldier777 on Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:27 pm

Daniel Band is a great Canadian band. As far as the theology of the lyrical content, I never noticed that with their lyrics. Many bands I listened to gave lyrics I questioned or don't agree with. On another note, some people mentioned Stryper's song Big Screen Lies as Christians being made fun of in movies. I like the music in the song but not all movies make fun of Christians. Some secular movies protray Christians in a good way. The movie Whip It had a character wearing a Stryper shirt and there wasn't nothing bad said about Stryper or chrisan music or christianity. I may be off topic as this is not theologically based, but you know what I mean.
avatar
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1242
Join date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Daniel Band

Post by Thiago-Brazil on Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:42 pm

Savage Amusement wrote:
What is the problem with their lyrics (or some of them)? Give us some example.
Well, for one the song undercover christian...It preaches a theology and thought that I completely disagree with..in fact if a preacher preached the lyrics as a sermon I would call it false teachings..I skip that song when I play the cd...another example might be the song "Lustful Illusions"..I disagree with the lyric that says Satan is at the core... Those are 2 examples.. Daniel Band isn't the only band like this ..several "Christian" bands have lyrics I dont like...and since you mentioned Tourniquet I have no use for that band at all..I hate their lyrics, theology and all that animal rights crap they involve themselves in...
Oh, I see.
It is a point of view problem. 

As far as I remember, Undercover Christian regards that faith on your own is not enough, then you should show your faith by what you do. This is taken from James 2, if I am not mistaken. I will listen to it again and check the lyrics, but I don't see a problem with it (it is just my opinion, I do not intend to get in a theological discussion).

Well, I have to say that I have some problems with some lyrics as well. Stryper's To Hell With the Devil teachs us to blame satan when things go wrong. Sacred Warrior's Rebellion teachs us that if we are far from God, so it is satan's fault.
I am not sure if I believe in it, however I do not skip those songs.
I am actually against most of Saint songs regarding the apocalipse, however they are still two of my favorite bands ever (and you know, Saint talks about apocalipse A LOT).

I don't even agree with many things that the preacher says at the Church on sundays. The main problem, however, is how to prove that you are right. There are many and many points of view, and the fact is that we believe on what makes more sense for each of us.
avatar
Thiago-Brazil
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1349
Join date : 2012-03-12
Age : 29
Location : São Paulo - Brazil

Back to top Go down

Re: Daniel Band

Post by Thiago-Brazil on Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:46 pm

Soldier777 wrote:Daniel Band is a great Canadian band. As far as the theology of the lyrical content, I never noticed that with their lyrics. Many bands I listened to gave lyrics I questioned or don't agree with. On another note, some people mentioned Stryper's song Big Screen Lies as Christians being made fun of in movies. I like the music in the song but not all movies make fun of Christians. Some secular movies protray Christians in a good way. The movie Whip It had a character wearing a Stryper shirt and there wasn't nothing bad said about Stryper or chrisan music or christianity. I may be off topic as this is not theologically based, but you know what I mean.
I would say that the song Big Screen Lies is a direct response to the movie No Pain, No Gain, which had a very offensive scene to christians in general, and more especific to Stryper.

To be honest, that entire movie is offensive to any christian and to anyone who watched it and have a minimum of sense.
avatar
Thiago-Brazil
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1349
Join date : 2012-03-12
Age : 29
Location : São Paulo - Brazil

Back to top Go down

Re: Daniel Band

Post by bjorn agin on Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:18 am

Thiago, you mentioned that the rerelease of the first album had extra songs. Which release was this? I have the rerelease of On Rock that M8 put out. It has an interview and a behind the songs track, but no new songs.
avatar
bjorn agin
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 2459
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : Illinois

Back to top Go down

Re: Daniel Band

Post by alldatndensum on Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:53 am

Thiago-Brazil wrote:
Savage Amusement wrote:
What is the problem with their lyrics (or some of them)? Give us some example.
Well, for one the song undercover christian...It preaches a theology and thought that I completely disagree with..in fact if a preacher preached the lyrics as a sermon I would call it false teachings..I skip that song when I play the cd...another example might be the song "Lustful Illusions"..I disagree with the lyric that says Satan is at the core... Those are 2 examples.. Daniel Band isn't the only band like this ..several "Christian" bands have lyrics I dont like...and since you mentioned Tourniquet I have no use for that band at all..I hate their lyrics, theology and all that animal rights crap they involve themselves in...
Oh, I see.
It is a point of view problem. 

As far as I remember, Undercover Christian regards that faith on your own is not enough, then you should show your faith by what you do. This is taken from James 2, if I am not mistaken. I will listen to it again and check the lyrics, but I don't see a problem with it (it is just my opinion, I do not intend to get in a theological discussion).

Well, I have to say that I have some problems with some lyrics as well. Stryper's To Hell With the Devil teachs us to blame satan when things go wrong. Sacred Warrior's Rebellion teachs us that if we are far from God, so it is satan's fault.
I am not sure if I believe in it, however I do not skip those songs.
I am actually against most of Saint songs regarding the apocalipse, however they are still two of my favorite bands ever (and you know, Saint talks about apocalipse A LOT).

I don't even agree with many things that the preacher says at the Church on sundays. The main problem, however, is how to prove that you are right. There are many and many points of view, and the fact is that we believe on what makes more sense for each of us.


I think that we need to remember that these bands are, many times, new Christians who are building their faith and worldview.  They may not have researched everything they are writing about and therefore may sing something that may not be true.  It could also be what the denomination (or non-denomination) taught at the time.  It would shine through on their albums.

I am sure that Mission Of One's lyrics may have something that people disagree with.  That's fine.  We all aren't of the same background and see the Word and the world differently.  It is music--not the Bible we're listening to here.  If you think that a band or artist is repeatedly teaching something that makes you uncomfortable, just stop buying that artist's work.  Don't slam them on forums--pray for them.  If you aren't close friends with them, I have learned to not try to correct their teaching either.  We don't really know them and have not earned a place in their lives where we can talk to them without them feeling attacked.

I have a few bands that I don't agree with everything they sing about.  Eterna (Catholic metal band), Ledfoot, and Bride all come to mind.  No, this isn't a slam Dale Thompson thread, guys.  I just remind myself of what I believe to be the truth and enjoy the music much like many of us do with secular lyrics.
avatar
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Posts : 4363
Join date : 2012-02-06
Age : 48
Location : Tennessee

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Daniel Band

Post by sentient 6 on Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:52 pm

DB had some lyrics that were sometimes borderline cheesy, but over all the good outweighed the bad.

Hes the Creator is a great example of a song that glorifies Christ and the fullness of his deity.


He created the moon and the sun
He created the stars
He set the earth in its revolutions
Right next to Mars
He created the love I see
When I look at my family
Well, I know He's behind every scene
I'm going to get on my knees, yes!

He created the earth and the sky
He created mankind
He gave us the sight from our eyes
He gave us minds
He gave me the friendship I feel
When I sit down to share a meal
Well, I know He's got to be real
I'm gona stay on my knees

He created the laws that you see
Of thermodynamics
He created the energy
Its amount never changes
He created the molecules
Atoms, protons, electrons too
Well by Him all things are ruled
Would you worship Him too ?

He's the Creator
You need Him as Savior
He's the Creator
You need Him as Savior


avatar
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Posts : 5809
Join date : 2012-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Daniel Band

Post by sentient 6 on Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:19 pm

Thiago-Brazil wrote:

I don't even agree with many things that the preacher says at the Church on sundays. The main problem, however, is how to prove that you are right. There are many and many points of view, and the fact is that we believe on what makes more sense for each of us.

I believe there are many Christians who feel lost in this world not knowing what to believe except for the " basics " of Christianity. The diminished authority of the Word of God is the primary root cause of this, I believe. If there is no authority that can enlighten us to Gods will, then each of our own personal feelings and opinions are all equally valid.
avatar
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Posts : 5809
Join date : 2012-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Daniel Band

Post by Thiago-Brazil on Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:20 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
Thiago-Brazil wrote:
Savage Amusement wrote:
What is the problem with their lyrics (or some of them)? Give us some example.
Well, for one the song undercover christian...It preaches a theology and thought that I completely disagree with..in fact if a preacher preached the lyrics as a sermon I would call it false teachings..I skip that song when I play the cd...another example might be the song "Lustful Illusions"..I disagree with the lyric that says Satan is at the core... Those are 2 examples.. Daniel Band isn't the only band like this ..several "Christian" bands have lyrics I dont like...and since you mentioned Tourniquet I have no use for that band at all..I hate their lyrics, theology and all that animal rights crap they involve themselves in...
Oh, I see.
It is a point of view problem. 

As far as I remember, Undercover Christian regards that faith on your own is not enough, then you should show your faith by what you do. This is taken from James 2, if I am not mistaken. I will listen to it again and check the lyrics, but I don't see a problem with it (it is just my opinion, I do not intend to get in a theological discussion).

Well, I have to say that I have some problems with some lyrics as well. Stryper's To Hell With the Devil teachs us to blame satan when things go wrong. Sacred Warrior's Rebellion teachs us that if we are far from God, so it is satan's fault.
I am not sure if I believe in it, however I do not skip those songs.
I am actually against most of Saint songs regarding the apocalipse, however they are still two of my favorite bands ever (and you know, Saint talks about apocalipse A LOT).

I don't even agree with many things that the preacher says at the Church on sundays. The main problem, however, is how to prove that you are right. There are many and many points of view, and the fact is that we believe on what makes more sense for each of us.


I think that we need to remember that these bands are, many times, new Christians who are building their faith and worldview.  They may not have researched everything they are writing about and therefore may sing something that may not be true.  It could also be what the denomination (or non-denomination) taught at the time.  It would shine through on their albums.
I agree with you. I accepted Jesus at around 22 years ago and I guess I am still building my faith. I am actually glad I have neve recorded any music with my beliefs in the 90's, or early 2000's, because I would probably reprove it all nowadays.
avatar
Thiago-Brazil
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1349
Join date : 2012-03-12
Age : 29
Location : São Paulo - Brazil

Back to top Go down

Re: Daniel Band

Post by L8T on Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:52 pm

I wanted to jump into this thread, when it started, but, really didn't want to get off the topic of DB, which, I have No experience with...

But, this topic of "Having a hard time with some lyrics"....of bands we like, love, follow, would like to like, etc...Imo, is a Great, and Ongoing topic for those of us who are passionate about our music and our faith.

I am not saying that truth is relevant to our age, culture, circumstances, etc.....But, I think as we age, grow, in our faith, there are things that we challenge, and Lyrics certainly are ripe for the picking. As well, there are things that we re-visit that are not as "intense" or important as they may have been at a certain time in our life.

Here's an example.  A well-know, Christian rock band, at a certain time put out a LP.  The title of the LP was the title song, which, I thought, at the time was So full of cheese and basic Crap, that I hated that LP.  Now, I had seen that group several times, live, and continued to do so......My friends, who didn't think it was that big of a deal gave me The Business, being the good friends they were..... Razz I laugh at the thought of that now.  I still think that song is CRAP, but, I don't think the band made such a Major mistake, like I did back then.

That's just one example.  There are PLENTY of songs, from today, that I don't get into for similar reasons. 

I also have come to realize that I do not know exactly what the artist intended, so, I don't try to let one song distract me from their body of work, and by that, I mean what they actually say and do apart from their music.

Great topic, imo, Thanks.
avatar
L8T
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 988
Join date : 2012-02-01
Location : In The Palm Of God's Hand

Back to top Go down

Re: Daniel Band

Post by alldatndensum on Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:53 am

Now, back to The Daniel Band!

Of course, I would love to see a full on reunion album from these guys even if it were a one time thing.  I'd toss some money, if it were not too high, for a Kickstarter program.  Philadelphia dropped a new one.  Bloodgood has, too.  Saint has given us several.  So, I think I would like to pray and encourage the band to think about this.

Between Dan and Toni, though, I prefer Toni Rossi's solo work to Dan's.  He retained more of The Daniel Band sound on his "Love In The City" album.  What hurt it, in my opinion, was that he got too bogged down with ballads. 

A few years later, he dropped an album under the TRB name (Toni Rossi Band).  It did not get a lot of attention, but musically it rocked.  Whilve vocally not the same, it is probably the closest musically I've heard to bands like KISS and Black N' Blue with a touch of bluesy riffs thrown in.  I think that I am going to play this today just because we've talked about it.

Rock on, my friends!


Last edited by alldatndensum on Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Posts : 4363
Join date : 2012-02-06
Age : 48
Location : Tennessee

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Daniel Band

Post by Driven on Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:47 pm

Oddly enough, I started playing the Running Out Of Time album right before I saw this thread. I had the privilege of seeing them live in 2011. My dad and I went together that time, and he saw them twice in the '80s, once in Guelph and once in Toronto if I'm not mistaken.

I kind of over-listened to them a few years ago, so I'll rarely listen to their music, but once in a while (like now) I'll take a listen and always enjoy it. You're All I Need is probably my favourite track of all, along with their cover of That's Alright and the new song One that were both on the latest two re-releases.

"I cannot fathom the reason why You chose to show Your love to me - all I have to give You is what I am.
So many times I've failed You, so many times I've given in - and yet You gave for me the spotless Lamb."
Deep.
avatar
Driven
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3275
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 100
Location : Estrie

http://danielbandfan.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Daniel Band

Post by alldatndensum on Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:25 pm

DRiven, you should check out both Toni Rossi's "Love In The City" and his later band TRB.
avatar
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Posts : 4363
Join date : 2012-02-06
Age : 48
Location : Tennessee

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Daniel Band

Post by Driven on Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:46 pm

Where can I find these albums? Were they ever released on CD?
avatar
Driven
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3275
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 100
Location : Estrie

http://danielbandfan.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Daniel Band

Post by alldatndensum on Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:22 pm

They were, but I would guess that they could be hard to find.
avatar
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Posts : 4363
Join date : 2012-02-06
Age : 48
Location : Tennessee

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Daniel Band

Post by Superjuice on Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:18 pm



Apparently this band morphed out of Daniel Band?
avatar
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1376
Join date : 2012-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Daniel Band

Post by Driven on Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:36 pm

Yes, the lead singer of Dreamer is Dan, who also sang in the Daniel Band. The bassist, Bill Davidson, now plays with the Daniel Band for their reunion shows.
avatar
Driven
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3275
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 100
Location : Estrie

http://danielbandfan.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Daniel Band

Post by alldatndensum on Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:48 pm

Did you ever hear the Dreamer stuff, Driven?

I will try to get these albums uploaded so you can hear them.  They are all three; TRB, Toni Rossi, and Dreamer, are long out of print.
avatar
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Posts : 4363
Join date : 2012-02-06
Age : 48
Location : Tennessee

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Daniel Band

Post by Driven on Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:39 am

I found Dreamer for a reasonable price some time ago. I've listened to it a lot.
avatar
Driven
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3275
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 100
Location : Estrie

http://danielbandfan.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Daniel Band

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum