Are Americans spoiled?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Are Americans spoiled?

Post by Living Sacrifice on Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:37 am

So to my conclusion. As a swede I live too far away from all the amazing christian bands who are touring the States and all the nice festivals. I know the USA is a large country, but come on, I would easily drive many miles (or take the plane) to se my favourite bands if I lived there. Another thing is to feel the camaraderie with other metal heads and christians.

I remember the early years here in Sweden attending Lucce Metal who was an amazing festival and seeing bands come to life such as Sanctifice and Crimson Moonlight. 

I once made the trip from Sweden to attend the Cornerstone festival to se my heroes in Living Sacrifice. It was the last year of the festival and I will never regret it, it was a memory for life. I met a lot of cool people, enjoyed the bands and felt the presence of the Almighty.  Before I made the trip I dreamt about going to the Cornerstone festival for about 10 years.

Is it just me who feels this way?

(I'm not trying to offend anyone) Smile
Living Sacrifice
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Re: Are Americans spoiled?

Post by Deepfriar on Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:20 pm

No sir I feel the same way but oddly enough my problem is that I am in America and all my favorite Christian bands are from Norway and Sweden. LOL quite the opposites, aren't we?

I'm big on Christian black metal and doom metal and other mixes of extreme metal genres. So nearly all my music heroes are closer to you than me. :-P

At least the ultimate hero (Jesus Christ) is equally close to us: in our hearts.
Deepfriar
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain on Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:41 pm

I barely know of any christian band I like touring. Metal core, yes, but any other genre, no. Stryper is going to play with world view on the West Coast. Would love to see that. But I ain't driving 5 days across country or spending Lord knows what to fly, to see that. Especially with a family of four to feed on one income. Ain't happening. Atlanta is a nice big city, but barely anyone plays here. Even in the secular scene.
deathisgain
Metal Slacker

http://www.deathisgain.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:51 pm

Here in Tulsa tons of bands come...christian and secular alike...

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th on Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:40 pm

We probably are spoiled, but living in the midwest is not so easy. Most of the good stuff on the west and east coast are like 20 hours away. If I wanted to make a show like that I'd have to leave the day before, rent a hotel and all.
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian on Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:27 pm

deathisgain wrote:Metal core, yes, but any other genre, no.
Im spoiled Razz
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus on Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:09 pm

Spoiled? No way. It may sound easy to travel far away, but it's expensive. Most of us are either young and have little money or older with families to take care of. Either way there's no money to spend on airfare, hotel, etc.  for some far away concert, no matter how much you like the band.
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian on Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:13 pm

Follower of Jesus wrote:Spoiled? No way. It may sound easy to travel far away, but it's expensive. Most of us are either young and have little money or older with families to take care of. Either way there's no money to spend on airfare, hotel, etc.  for some far away concert, no matter how much you like the band.
I agree, Im broke and dont see a car in my future for quite a while, especially at the rate I buy albums with every spare penny I have
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 on Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:10 pm

Here in St. John's, Newfoundland I did see a few concerts from 2012 to 2014 like Deep Purple, KISS and Vince Neil/Slaughter. X-Sinner/GX came to Deer Lake a few hours away and me and a buddy went to see them. I saw Petra back in 1997 in Grand Falls. There haven't been any concerts here lately I would go and see. There are a few secular band I would like to see like Def Leppard, Van Halen, Cinderella, and Dream Theater. They may come here eventually. Def Leppard has been here before in 1993 during the Adrenalize tour. In Christian music any of the touring classic hard rock/metal bands I would go and see if they came here like Stryper, Petra, John Elefante/Mastedon, etc.
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:11 pm

Christian metal tours and concerts?  Maybe some of the metalcore bands tour and Stryper, but that's it.  You won't see Saint and Bloodgood all over the country.  You won't hear Rob Rock or Joshua Perahia playing anywhere all over the country.

We aren't spoiled--this is a Christian metal WASTELAND when it comes to shows.
alldatndensum
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla on Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:35 am

No one comes here. We do have Steve Miller next Sunday night but tickets are $99. No thanks, I love Steve Miller but I love $99 more. Last year we had Huey Lewis & The News, tickets were $65 each. The year before that we had Hall & Oates, those also $65 each. We went to both of those and they were awesome shows. But really no one else comes here unless it's country music acts which I have no desire to see (or hear). The closest shows are Pensacola (100 miles away), Tallahassee (also 100 miles away) or Atlanta (5 hours away and I turned down a chance to see Maiden in Atlanta with a free ticket because I did not feel like driving 5 hours away). 

The only time I ever offered to drive somewhere to see someone was The Police when they had their reunion a few years ago. I asked my wife if she wanted to go see them in Tampa (about 6 hours away). She thought that would be awesome. I think I found out about the show in April and the concert was in June. So I went online to buy tickets and found out it was sold out.... Not just that show but the ENTIRE tour was sold out! So that is the closest I have been to traveling to see someone.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I drove from Knoxville, TN to Detroit to see The Who in 1989. But I was 18 at the time... At 44, I am not driving anywhere. When I drove to see The Who it only cost me gas money because I stayed with my brother who lives in the area and he bought the tickets for me and my friend. But in this day and age I really don't have the desire to drive 90 minutes to Pensacola.
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian on Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:54 pm

MikeInFla wrote: I turned down a chance to see Maiden in Atlanta with a free ticket because I did not feel like driving 5 hours away.
Thats it BAN HIM HERE AND NOW!

Kerrick we have found the evidence we needed Razz

Just Joking lol!
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs on Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:02 pm

Compared to Europe, probably, yeah.  I live near enough to Detroit enough shows come through I would be able to make some if I had more evenings off and childcare.

When I was younger I saw a lot of bands solely because of Cornerstone Festival.  That's an opportunity Europe didn't have.

That said, a few years ago I saw King James in concert and the bass player was amazed I drove an hour to see them.  To me that was pretty reasonable.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla on Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:39 pm

Hardcore Christian wrote:
MikeInFla wrote: I turned down a chance to see Maiden in Atlanta with a free ticket because I did not feel like driving 5 hours away.
Thats it BAN HIM HERE AND NOW!

Kerrick we have found the evidence we needed Razz

Just Joking lol!
Yeah it was a childhood friend that said he would buy my ticket but I didn't want to make a "solo" road trip. Wouldn't be fair to my wife and kids so I passed. Wish I would have gone because my friend passed away a couple of years ago. We both discovered Maiden around 1983-84.
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole on Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:46 pm

I thought this thread would be about something else, instead of about concert availability = being spoiled.

I'm not that interested in concerts. Saw my first one in 13 years almost a week ago, it was fun, maybe something I'll try to do every year, but for the most part, not interested.

Like DeepFriar, most of the bands I like aren't even from the US. Of those, a good chunk don't even tour.

I know you didn't mean offense, and certainly none taken - but just my observation, it seems those from countries around the world seem to be focused on the differences in the culture and behavior of people living in America.

....vs Americans, who really don't.
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pershing1134 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:24 am

Being from Seattle I was able to see band live back in the late 80's: Bloodgood, Saint, Watchmen, Stryper, Darrell Mansfield, Whitecross, etc.

Majority of the concerts I went to were at Cornerstone (1989-1993) and festivals in SoCal (late 80's).

In most recent years the bands I've seen (Kamelot, Symphony X, Rush) are band that play internationally.

Would have loved to see some band from Europe that never, or rarely, came to the US: Leviticus, Seventh Angel, HB, Narnia, Golden Ressurection, etc.

Spoiled? Maybe, back in the day, but not so much now.
Pershing1134
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho on Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:08 am

We used to be sort of spoiled, but the Christian festivals have largely disappeared or gone super mainstream with no metal.  Cornerstone of course is gone.  Most Christian metal bands don't/can't tour because of the vast distances.  Don't forget, America is 4 times as big as all of Europe combined!  And you have trains going everywhere.  So it's much easier, faster, and cheaper for you to travel the whole distance of Europe than it is for us to travel a few states even.

strangerhoncho
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus on Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:25 pm

strangerhoncho wrote:Don't forget, America is 4 times as big as all of Europe combined!  And you have trains going everywhere.  So it's much easier, faster, and cheaper for you to travel the whole distance of Europe than it is for us to travel a few states even.

BINGO!
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:58 pm

Cant say whats already been said here....

Back to top Go down

Post by bjorn agin on Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:31 pm

Spoiled? Nah.. that may have been true once upon a time, but now I find myself reading about Theocracy performing in Europe and other metal festivals and I feel left out being in the US.
bjorn agin
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:00 pm

I guess it all depends on the context in which we are talking.

Back to top Go down

Post by ReckonedDead on Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:50 pm

Yeah, still waiting for Theocracy to do some west coast shows... QQ
ReckonedDead
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Living Sacrifice on Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:04 pm

Thanks for all the input, and I get your points. America IS big. I also like a lot of european bands but they don't tour much sadly. I would love to see bands like Crimson Moonlight, Extol and Antestor again. So point taken Deepfriar. Wink  Last time I was on a concert here in Sweden I saw Blessthefall and August Burns Red. That was a good show. But that was like 3-4 years ago.   

PS. I'm also jealous of your hockey League, NHL. Smile One day I'm gonna see a game in the States, or Canada.

Last edited by Living Sacrifice on Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : misstyping.)
Living Sacrifice
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:02 am

But in this day and age I really don't have the desire to drive 90 minutes to Pensacola.

I hear ya!  I drove several years ago to Knoxville (about 3 hours) to see Disciple, Red, and Decyfer Down.  I don't know why in the world they couldn't play Nashville.  Even with more pop rock bands like this, every city doesn't get cool tours.  Nashville has several colleges and smaller auditoriums where Christian rock bands and even up and coming secular artists could play.  They just don't.  Oh, the big shows come to the Bridgestone Arena.  However, that's typically a lot of country music, current pop acts, a couple circuses, Winter Jam, and that's about it.
alldatndensum
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:10 am

I am very lucky and spoiled. I have TONS of concerts where I am. Perhaps because I'm not far from California.

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho on Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:58 am

I lived in Los Angeles for 14 years and there were hardly any concerts ever.  At least not Christian death, black, or thrash.  Or maybe I just never heard of any.  Tons of non-Christian shows, of course.

strangerhoncho
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:40 pm

strangerhoncho wrote:I lived in Los Angeles for 14 years and there were hardly any concerts ever.  At least not Christian death, black, or thrash.  Or maybe I just never heard of any.  Tons of non-Christian shows, of course.

You must have just not realized somehow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum