The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let's talk Maiden! (Exo distracts Kerrick with something shiny....)

+5
WildWorld
sentient 6
d@v!d
exo
Kerrick
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Let's talk Maiden! (Exo distracts Kerrick with something shiny....) Empty Let's talk Maiden! (Exo distracts Kerrick with something shiny....)

Post by Kerrick Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:05 pm

Headshrinker wrote:I thought Iron Maiden was a bit too obvious. Great two albums and then they destroyed the band by replacing Paul with Bruce.

Evil or Very Mad

Headshrinker wrote:I like both, just wanted to see who would bite. Laughing

What about Blaze?!?  Razz

(Actually I think the two albums with Blaze on vocals are better than the other two albums [with Bruce] from the 90's.)

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Let's talk Maiden! (Exo distracts Kerrick with something shiny....) Empty Re: Let's talk Maiden! (Exo distracts Kerrick with something shiny....)

Post by Guest Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:14 pm

I like every single Iron Maiden album ever made.

My least favorite though - would have to be "Killers". I like the two Blaze albums better than "Killers".

Fave Iron Maiden albums:

1. Powerslave
2. Somewhere in Time
3. Dance of Death
4. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
5. No Prayer for the Dying

Back to top Go down

Let's talk Maiden! (Exo distracts Kerrick with something shiny....) Empty Re: Let's talk Maiden! (Exo distracts Kerrick with something shiny....)

Post by Guest Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:56 pm

What about Blaze?!?  Let's talk Maiden! (Exo distracts Kerrick with something shiny....) Icon_razz

(Actually I think the two albums with Blaze on vocals are better than the other two albums [with Bruce] from the 90's.)
I dont think I have even heard the Blaze albums before..I might check them out..

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:07 pm

RavenWolf wrote:I like every single Iron Maiden album ever made.

My least favorite though - would have to be "Killers". I like the two Blaze albums better than "Killers".

Fave Iron Maiden albums:

1. Powerslave
2. Somewhere in Time
3. Dance of Death

You don't like Killers?  Aw I think it's a great album!  No Prayer For The Dying is definitely my least favorite...

Savage Amusement wrote:
What about Blaze?!?  Let's talk Maiden! (Exo distracts Kerrick with something shiny....) Icon_razz

I dont think I have even heard the Blaze albums before..I might check them out..

They're pretty decent actually!  The X Factor is much darker than any of their others which I really like, though there are a few cringe-worthy moments for Blaze's vocals.  He just can't sing as high as some of the songs called for I think.  Virtual XI has a few fillers for sure, but overall it's a pretty solid album.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:11 pm

Kerrick wrote:
RavenWolf wrote:I like every single Iron Maiden album ever made.

Fave Iron Maiden albums:

1. Powerslave
2. Somewhere in Time
3. Dance of Death

You don't like Killers?  Aw I think it's a great album!  No Prayer For The Dying is definitely my least favorite...

I never said I didn't like "Killers". I said if I 'had' to choose a least favorite - it would be "Killers". Like if someone put a gun to my head ... "Killers".

No Prayer for the Dying and Dance of Death are the two most underrated Iron Maiden albums ... I've observed over the years. I love them both dearly and they are both in my top 5.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:16 pm

Gotcha.

I LOVE Dance Of Death.  That's definitely one of my favorites.  So many good songs!  Rainmaker, the title track, and Paschendale are all just spectacular.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Let's talk Maiden! (Exo distracts Kerrick with something shiny....) Empty Let's talk Maiden!

Post by exo Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:35 pm

Ooooooh .......if I can figure out if we have a thread split tool, and how it works, I think we need an Iron Maiden thread to go along with this one!

"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:48 pm

exo wrote:Ooooooh .......if I can figure out if we have a thread split tool, and how it works, I think we need an Iron Maiden thread to go along with this one!
You'd think there'd be something more polemic about the band...
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by exo Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:00 pm

It appears I have managed to split th threads without imploding the universe. Yay me cheers

Now, as the thread title suggests, let's discuss Maiden!!!

My top 5:

1) Number of the Beast (duh!)
2a) A Matter of Life and Death
2b) Powerslave
3a) 7th Son of a 7th Son
3b) The Book of Souls
4a) Somewhere in Time
4b) Dance of Death
5a) Piece of Mind
5b) The X Factor
5c) Fear of the Dark

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:09 am

my favorite maiden albums are...

1. Somewhere in Time
2. Number of The Beast
3. Seventh Son of a Seventh son
4. Piece of Mind
5. killers
6. The Final Frontier

I was about 14 when the first album came out ...being a young teen I was instantly drawn to the artwork...I bought the album because of the art and then I threw it on the turntable and was blown away..it was raw in your face metal...Then I heard killers and that was a game changer...I liked the art, the music and the way the band looks on the back cover...and then I heard number of The beast and was hooked ...This is maiden to me...this to me is the look of the headbanger...

Let's talk Maiden! (Exo distracts Kerrick with something shiny....) Killers01Let's talk Maiden! (Exo distracts Kerrick with something shiny....) Iron-maiden-the-number-of-the-beast-1982-back-cover-3967

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:50 am

I've never even listened to any Blaze era Maiden. I always seem to fall back to listening to either Killers or Number Of the Beast.

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:24 am

1 ) Three way tie - Number, Piece and Power Slave.

2 ) Killers

3 ) Iron Maiden

4 ) Somewhere in Time

5 ) Seventh Son

.....after that I've only listened to parts of albums after these so it wouldn't be fair to rate them. Wicker man, Fear of the Dark, and a bunch off Dance of Death are all great songs.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by exo Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:11 am

You REALLY need to give Bruce MkII era Maiden a serious listen, S6.  No, it doesn't really have the speed or edge of the Di'Anno or Bruce MkI stuff, but there is a maturity and progressiveness to a lot of the material that is pretty awesome.

The last track of Book of Souls is waaaay outside the "classic Maiden" ballpark......but for my money is also one of the single most stunning pieces they've ever recorded.  It's also the longest, so set aside about 20 minutes for yourself before listening Laughing

exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:21 am

I've tried to get into the post-reunion albums, and while i do enjoy Brave New World quite a bit, i just cant enjoy DoD, A Matter of Life and Death, or Final Frontier. There's just not enough immediate hooks to get me into it. However, Book of Souls is a good mix of classic-sounding Maiden (Speed of Light) and the more "progressive" sound (the red and the black). My main problem with "longer" songs in general is that a good chunk of them have extended parts with no vocals at all (im not dissing guitar solos here mind you, as i enjoy them in standard songs), and vocals are pretty much an important part of all music, aside from maybe classical.

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:57 am

Never heard of this band, are they any good?
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:03 pm

I think the two Blaze albums are MUCH better than anything they've done since.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by exo Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:09 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:I think the two Blaze albums are MUCH better than anything they've done since.
That's just plain crazy talk, good sir!

exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:13 pm

exo wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:I think the two Blaze albums are MUCH better than anything they've done since.

X-Factor especially is a great album.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by exo Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:33 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
exo wrote:

X-Factor especially is a great album.

I don't know about "great"........but the Blaze albums get a lot more crap than they should, IMO.  His solo efforts after Maiden are also mostly enjoyable to me.

exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:36 pm

I think "Sign of the Cross", "The Clansmen", and "The Aftermath" are definitely great songs.  I'd almost say SotC is a masterpiece.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:39 pm

Look!  Something shiny!!!  What a Face sunny flower rendeer

exo wrote:It appears I have managed to split th threads without imploding the universe. Yay me cheers

Good job. geek

Headshrinker wrote:I've never even listened to any Blaze era Maiden. I always seem to fall back to listening to either Killers or Number Of the Beast.

The Blaze albums are pretty good!  Not crucial for the casual fan, but they're definitely worth owning if you enjoy Maiden.

exo wrote:You REALLY need to give Bruce MkII era Maiden a serious listen, S6.  No, it doesn't really have the speed or edge of the Di'Anno or Bruce MkI stuff, but there is a maturity and progressiveness to a lot of the material that is pretty awesome.

The last track of Book of Souls is waaaay outside the "classic Maiden" ballpark......but for my money is also one of the single most stunning pieces they've ever recorded.  It's also the longest, so set aside about 20 minutes for yourself before listening Laughing

I couldn't get into that song.  It's not bad... it just doesn't have that "oomph" that say, Rime Of The Ancient Mariner has IMO.

deathisgain wrote:Never heard of this band, are they any good?

Angry Slap

exo wrote:

Seriously!  Brave New World, Dance Of Death, and A Matter Of Life And Death are all spectacular albums.  The Final Frontier and Book Of Souls are good but didn't grip me like those other three did though.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:56 pm

BNW is the worst Maiden album I have heard all the way through.

Most overrated reunion ever.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by exo Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:57 pm

I couldn't get into that song.  It's not bad... it just doesn't have that "oomph" that say, Rime Of The Ancient Mariner has IMO.
Monkey Biz

Angry Slap

exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by exo Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:00 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:BNW is the worst Maiden album I have heard all the way through.

Welp, the world's gonna end now.  I find myself almost agreeing with you.  The title of "worst Maiden album" easily goes to No Prayer.  BNW was a definite dissappointment to me, though.

exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:26 pm

exo wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:BNW is the worst Maiden album I have heard all the way through.

Welp, the world's gonna end now.  I find myself almost agreeing with you.  The title of "worst Maiden album" easily goes to No Prayer.  BNW was a definite dissappointment to me, though.

"No Prayer" has The Assasin, Run Silent Run Deep, and Tailgunner on it.  All three great songs, the first two are brilliant in my book.  Don't think anything on BNW comes close in terms of quality.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next