The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where to start with Alice Cooper?

+6
pathogenics_cloned_twin83
exo
metaldude
MikeInFla
Highway Star
alldatndensum
10 posters

Go down

Where to start with Alice Cooper? Empty Where to start with Alice Cooper?

Post by alldatndensum Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:50 am

I am wanting to check out Alice Cooper again after all these years.  Where should I start?  I don't remember much about his early albums but remember "Constrictor" through "The Last Temptation".  Is his new stuff good?  Would you check out what you remember first or explore some new ground?
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Where to start with Alice Cooper? Empty Re: Where to start with Alice Cooper?

Post by Highway Star Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:26 am

Two of my favorites from the 70's are Welcome To My Nightmare and Billion Dollar Babies.
Highway Star
Highway Star
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:51 am

MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:44 am

My introduction to Alice was Welcome to My Nightmare. My favorites would probably be Constrictor and Brutal Planet.
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:52 pm

Yeah, Alice Cooper is pretty bad ass! I mean - he has a whole legacy of music (ranging from many different styles including New Wave, Hard Rock, Glam Metal, Pyschedelic Rock, Glam Rock, Garage Rock and Heavy Metal! And I'm probably leaving out a lot of stuff! In other words - Alice Cooper is very versatile!!! Like a chameleon. Almost like a Hard Rock version of David Bowie. He's a legend.

Anyway - I like all of the eras of Alice Cooper, but my favorite would be his late 80s and early 90s era. When he was full on Glam Metal! Those albums are my faves:

1. Raise Your Fist and Yell
2. Trash
3. Hey Stoopid
4. The Last Temptation

Those are the albums that get spun the most around this joint.

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:06 pm

I think I am going to start with what I remember first and work my way forward.  I had a lot of the 70s stuff on cassette way back when.  To be honest, though, a lot of it was hit and miss for me.  I think I will start with "Constrictor" and work my way on through "Welcome 2 My Nightmare".
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:41 pm

alldatndensum wrote:I think I am going to start with what I remember first and work my way forward.  I had a lot of the 70s stuff on cassette way back when.  To be honest, though, a lot of it was hit and miss for me.  I think I will start with "Constrictor" and work my way on through "Welcome 2 My Nightmare".

Probably the best choice if you want metal Alice. The World Needs Guts is a great tune.
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:54 am

I love the whole "Raise Your Fist & Yell" album!  The song "Freedom" is definitely something that we Americans need to pay attention to.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by exo Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:37 pm

out of the stuff from Last Temptation to current day, I give my highest recommendations to Brutal Planet,  Along Came a Spider, and Welcome 2 My Nightmare.

Brutal Planet is a bit different fro most of Coop's catalog, it was sort of an "answer" to Marilyn Manson's Antichrist Superstar album, and carries a LOT of the same mid 90's alt/industrial metal feel.  Probably his "heaviest" disc, and also some I've the most overt Christian messages and themes he's done.  I love it, your mileage may vary.

ACAS and W2MN are very much "classic" Alice benefitting from modern advances in production and recording.  Both are concept albums, with W2MN being a direct sequel to the original Welcome to My Nightmare.  ACAS maintains a similar 70's Rock and roll feel throughout, W2MN is a truly varied platter, ranging from 70's vibe rock and roll, to dirty 20's New Orleans Jazz/blues, to modern club/disco (!) dance rock.  Both are absolutely chock full of Alice's classic sardonic, dark, dry humor, and absolutely FANTASTIC discs, some of his best work, IMO....

"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by pathogenics_cloned_twin83 Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:05 pm

I've always been partial to DaDa, but to recommend that is probably close to some kind of Cooper blasphemy, so...I'll be quiet.  What a Face
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

https://www.facebook.com/#!/derrick.williams.5667

Back to top Go down

Post by DevZor Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:03 pm

Coops catalogue is hit and miss for me, but mostly hit.  I must say however I haven't heard an album from brutal planet on that I haven't really enjoyed.  They've all been fantastic.  I'd even suggest starting with some of them over the 80's early 90's stuff.
DevZor
DevZor
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:20 am

I loved those albums from the 80's and very early 90's.  I definitely started there.  I started with "Constrictor" and am now ready for "The Last Temptation".
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:49 am

pathogenics_cloned_twin83 wrote:I've always been partial to DaDa, but to recommend that is probably close to some kind of Cooper blasphemy, so...I'll be quiet.  What a Face
DaDa is a great album, but hardly a good starting point for a Cooper newbie.

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Athanasius Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:20 pm

Two words:  BRUTAL PLANET.

Seriously, that's one of my all time favorite albums.  I had never been overly impressed by what I'd heard from Alice before that (I must admit though, I hadn't heard much of his work), but when I got Brutal Planet it was love from the first listen.  Fantastic from start to finish.  The follow-up, Dragontown, isn't as brilliant, but is a good album nonetheless and has a somewhat similar sound.  It's bonus track, "Can't Sleep Clowns Will Eat Me," is a real treat too.

Alice is an artist who's catalog I've always meant to investigate more but never got around to it, at least not much.  I got Trash when it was on sale on Amazon, and it was okay, but not really my thing.  I will definitely grab Welcome to My Nightmare and Billion Dollar Babies at $4 a pop.  Thanks for posting that, Highway Star.
Athanasius
Athanasius
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:55 pm

WildWorld wrote:
pathogenics_cloned_twin83 wrote:I've always been partial to DaDa, but to recommend that is probably close to some kind of Cooper blasphemy, so...I'll be quiet.  What a Face
DaDa is a great album, but hardly a good starting point for a Cooper newbie.

I wouldn't call myself a newbie.  I was very familiar with Cooper's work in my earlier years.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:14 pm

My all time favorite Alice Cooper album will probably always be "Raise Your Fist and Yell"! It's very underrated. A lot of people think it's terrible for whatever reason.

But it's a brilliant Hard Rock album! With a lot of true Heavy Metal and Glam Metal throughout.

Hooks GALORE!!!

Where to start with Alice Cooper? Raiseyourfistandyell

"Trash" would be a close second though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:34 pm

Ive always loved the songs Lost in America and Poison

The comparison to David Bowie, I can see it, though I dont see Alice Cooper really re-inventing himself to the degree that Bowie does, but definitely has the longevity and as i Said I can see the resemblence in their careers.

Back to top Go down

Post by lhversaw Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:59 pm

For later stuff I recommend from The Last Tempation on.  Brutal Planet and Along Came a Spider are amazing.  For earlier stuff try Pretties For You And  Easy Action That was when it was a Band and not a Solo project and it was very Psychedelic stuff.
lhversaw
lhversaw
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by DevZor Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:49 pm

This thread has me revisiting a bunch of the coops discography.  Listening to the Alice Cooper band albums something struck me.  How did we let hard rock get so boring?  Those albums had so much going on.  From hard rock hits to spacy, bluesy, jazzy stuff.  Heavy metal and pop sensibilities blended together in arrangements that often stayed away from stander verse-chorus songwriting. Man, so much hard rock is so paint by numbers now compared to this stuff.  Often coopers genius seems to revolve around his groundbreaking gimmick, but these guys were ridiculously creative where it counted, the music. 
DevZor
DevZor
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down