Skald in Veum

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Skald in Veum

Post by messiaen77 on Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:21 pm

I can't believe no one has posted about these guys yet.  Solid old-school (un)black metal.

messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Re: Skald in Veum

Post by Kerrick on Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:35 pm

I pre-ordered my copy from SkyBurnsBlack a while ago!  I'm stoked for this one!

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Deepfriar on Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:53 pm

Yeah mine hasn't come in the mail yet either! I was going to post after. Razz
Deepfriar
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Deepfriar on Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:55 pm

There has been a buzz over at The Blackest Light (Christian black metal forum) about this one.
Deepfriar
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Blake on Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:08 am

Listened this morning and its good but theres not a lot of uniqueness that just grabs me, nothing that renders it memorable for me. That's not to say its not good, just not groundbreaking in my opinion.
Blake
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://reanimatedradio.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Deepfriar on Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:17 pm

Metal Blessing Radio wrote:Listened this morning and its good but theres not a lot of uniqueness that just grabs me, nothing that renders it memorable for me. That's not to say its not good, just not groundbreaking in my opinion.
Fair enough, guess I'm just in the mood for old school BM but I can't wait for it to come in the mail. I've pre-ordered the new Hazeroth also and have hopes for possible album of the year for me? We shall see.  Twisted Evil
Deepfriar
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:33 am

I listened to the EP today and wow this is some of the best Christian black metal to come out in a while; really solid stuff!

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Blake on Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:41 am

I agree, it is good black metal, just nothing that a year from now I'm going to put on a list of greatest albums. I liked the intro part of Until My Head Rolls.
Blake
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://reanimatedradio.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Deepfriar on Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:38 pm

Kerrick wrote:I listened to the EP today and wow this is some of the best Christian black metal to come out in a while; really solid stuff!
Did Joshua send you a bandcamp download code too? I didn't even redeem mine yet. I kind of want to wait until I can hold it in my hands.
Deepfriar
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:15 pm

Deepfriar wrote:
Kerrick wrote:I listened to the EP today and wow this is some of the best Christian black metal to come out in a while; really solid stuff!
Did Joshua send you a bandcamp download code too? I didn't even redeem mine yet. I kind of want to wait until I can hold it in my hands.

Yup!  I was cranking it on my way to work this morning too.  So good!

You should be receiving your copy soon so hopefully it won't be much longer for you to hold out!

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Deepfriar on Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:03 pm

Here's a review that was posted Monday:

http://thefrontrowreport.com/skald-veum-1260-days-review/
Deepfriar
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 on Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:41 pm

Kerrick wrote:....wow this is some of the best Christian black metal to come out in a while; really solid stuff!

Ya know, I'm not trying to be a jerk ( I really i'm not ), but from that lyric video I don't see how this is Christian in its content. Its pretty good musically, but Im just am not picking up the Christian message or encouragement in the message.

......I guess i'm one of those old fashioned guys who want Christian content in their Christian music. What a Face
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by CrimsonWarrior on Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:20 pm

A message doesn't have to be encouraging to be Christian. I perceive the lyrics of Inferno to be a warning about hell and a reminder that there is a way out.
CrimsonWarrior
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Deepfriar on Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:33 pm

..the truth shall set us free, it is over the mountain.. Sinai, Horeb, Golgotha... background clearly shows 3 crucified men when "Golgotha" first appears... and a few seconds later in the video John 3:16 is flashed... the message was pretty clear to me in the end though I do agree that the former majority of the song is a bit dark but that's how much of black metal's lyrics are... I don't find dark lyrics offensive it is just an artistic style.
Deepfriar
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Deepfriar on Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:34 pm

..just watched the end and the "Son of Man, I am yours, set me free" also has what are clearly depictions of Jesus flashing in the background... I think you just stopped the video too early bruh :p
Deepfriar
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole on Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:38 pm

How not to start sentences here...

sentient 6 wrote:Ya know, I'm not trying to be a jerk ( I really i'm not ), but
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:26 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:How not to start sentences here...

Given the current climate....I don't want my intentions taken a certain way.
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:46 pm

Deepfriar wrote:..just watched the end and the "Son of Man, I am yours, set me free" also has what are clearly depictions of Jesus flashing in the background... I think you just stopped the video too early bruh :p

You are absolutely right. I only listened to half the song before I stopped it. Even the first half I can now see maybe some allusions to Romans. But at first it seemed pretty cryptic.
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:08 pm

I like this song better...

...but without the lyrics posted....I really don't know what the song is about.
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:19 pm

Deepfriar wrote:..... I don't find dark lyrics offensive it is just an artistic style.

I wouldn't say I get offended. I would say that in general when I listen to black metal it has the opposite effect that I believe Christian music should, though.
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Deepfriar on Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:32 pm

sentient 6 wrote:
Deepfriar wrote:..... I don't find dark lyrics offensive it is just an artistic style.

I wouldn't say I get offended. I would say that in general when I listen to black metal it has the opposite effect that I believe Christian music should, though.
We should absolutely follow our convictions.

Anyway, I am listening to the EP right now and it is great so far but I am not yet to the music I haven't heard. Sometimes I dislike the fact that we can hear material prior to release now. I remember back in the day I'd get a brand new release and pop it in the CD player and almost hold my breath to hear the first notes because I had no idea what it was going to sound like!

The next 3 songs I have not heard... song starting... NOW...

already like the guitar tone/rhythm, sounds a little unique. This song is cementing my opinion that one of the reasons I like this band is because they know just how long to drag out a slow section before the pummeling assault of frantic black metal noise. It's like a build up. Almost uncomfortable. But in a good way. That probably doesn't make sense.

Long story short, Eden Raped is also an amazing track and I doubt the last two will be any different. Highly recommend this release, guys.

DF out.

P.S.
Oh, and you can definitely tell these boys are trve Swedish black metal. Metal 1
Deepfriar
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy on Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:28 am

I'll say I'm definitely in with those who find this a cut above, if not revolutionary.  Not that much has really piqued my interest lately, but this really does sound good.

Grindboy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole on Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:22 am

sentient 6 wrote:

Black metal is generally a very harsh genre of music. Excluding faith from the discussion, it takes a certain psyche to find that level of harshness, darkness and bleak emotion appealing musically. Even though the black metal I write is overflowing with an in-your-face Christian message, many black metal bands tend to have a more grim, artistic or abstract message to not utterly contrast the music.

Its a topic for a different thread, while I'm not much for anti-anti-Christian lyrics, I totally get not having in-your-face Christian lyrics for Christian black metal.

Regarding Skald specifically, I totally dig the drums and vocals. The guitars sound good, but the riffs are very basic. ...too basic to really captivate me or hold my interest for a long duration.
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:36 pm

Found a legitimate, lossless download here:

https://tracks.technics.com/GB/artists/3031295 (Technics is part of Panasonic)

Have now downloaded. Will let you know my thoughts tomorrow.

Christian music doesn't have to be positive and all happy clappy. I much prefer the stuff that isn't.

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 on Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:13 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:
Black metal is generally a very harsh genre of music.  Excluding faith from the discussion, it takes a certain psyche to find that level of harshness, darkness and bleak emotion appealing musically.  Even though the black metal I write is overflowing with an in-your-face Christian message, many black metal bands tend to have a more grim, artistic or abstract message to not utterly contrast the music.

Its a topic for a different thread, while I'm not much for anti-anti-Christian lyrics, I totally get not having in-your-face Christian lyrics for Christian black metal.

Well, like a always say....i'm kind of old fashioned in that respect. I guess I still expect " christian " content in my " christian " music. Regardless of the genre.

....its all kind of moot if you can't understand the message without a lyric sheet i guess. Razz
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by CrimsonWarrior on Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:06 pm

There are some vocalists that are intelligible enough to understand the lyrics.

Thomas himself is one of them.
CrimsonWarrior
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole on Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:08 pm

I'm the same regarding Christian lyrics.  Why beat around the bush when you can shout it from the roodtops?  Just click the link in my sig, ignore the music and read what I say in my songs.

As far as understanding the message, you'd be surprised what you can hear after listening to the genre for over a decade.  Wink
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:00 am

I've given this a few listens now. The standout tracks for me are Inferno and Siaren. The rest is good, but not memorable.

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 on Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:56 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:As far as understanding the message, you'd be surprised what you can hear after listening to the genre for over a decade.  Wink

Man, Ive listen to The Covenant Progress and Undecieved hundreds of times and I still don't know what the songs are about.Evil or Very Mad

...but I also don't rely on this form of music for christian edification either.
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by CrimsonWarrior on Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:03 pm

Despite being a huge CM fan, I will say, Pilgrim is not great at enunciation. He is a fantastic vocalist overall though.

A lot of CM's lyrics are really good. If you read along as you listen, it becomes more clear.
CrimsonWarrior
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole on Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:57 pm

sentient 6 wrote:
Man, Ive listen to The Covenant Progress and Undecieved hundreds of times and I still don't know what the songs are about.Evil or Very Mad

HAHA!!!  You can't just go in blind and expect extreme metal vocals to just soak in.
Read the lyrics when you listen to it.  You can follow it.

...now, if you did this for years, you won't understand every word from every band moving forward,
but you'll certainly have an ear to pick up quick a bit.

More than you would trying to absorb a message from scratch.
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by CrimsonWarrior on Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:29 am

Also, for the record, Undeceived is far from being black metal...
CrimsonWarrior
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum