In which musical style you think Deliverance fits better?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

In which musical style you think Deliverance fits better?

75% 75% 
[ 9 ]
8% 8% 
[ 1 ]
17% 17% 
[ 2 ]
 
Total Votes : 12

In which musical style you think Deliverance fits better?

Post by Thiago-Brazil on Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:58 am

Deliverance is a band that has gone into several different phases in their entire career.

Then we were discussing in which style the band fits better and decided to open the discussion to everyone.

Here is where the dicussion has begun:
http://thecmr.forumotion.com/t8439p50-subgenres-of-metal#160462
avatar
Thiago-Brazil
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1349
Join date : 2012-03-12
Age : 29
Location : São Paulo - Brazil

Back to top Go down

Re: In which musical style you think Deliverance fits better?

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:23 am

Deliverance is a band that has gone into several different phases in their entire career.

You said it yourself and I think this statement sums it up nicely. I dont think you can give it just one specific label other than Music.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: In which musical style you think Deliverance fits better?

Post by Thiago-Brazil on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:38 am

Aaron, it is true.

However, every band with a long career goes into musical directions changes, due to the members change or either a point of view change.

Analyzing the Deliverance entire career, I would say that:

Deliverance - Thrash Metal
Weapons of our Warefare - Thrash Metal
What a Joke - Thrash Metal
Stay of Execution - Heavy Metal with some Thrash Influences
Learn - Heavy Metal
River Disturbance - ??? (Seriously, what style is that album?)
Camelot in Smethereens - Heavy Metal
Assimilation - Industrial Metal
As Above - So Below - Thrash Metal
Hear what I say - Thrash Metal with some heavy Metal influences

So, most of their albums in my opinion are Thrash, that is why I define them as a Thrash Metal band.
avatar
Thiago-Brazil
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1349
Join date : 2012-03-12
Age : 29
Location : São Paulo - Brazil

Back to top Go down

Re: In which musical style you think Deliverance fits better?

Post by Thiago-Brazil on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:40 am

If you analyze all the years that the band has been active, it is easy to state that:

From 1984 to 1992 - Thrash Metal
From 1992 to 1995 - Heavy Metal
2001 - Industrial Metal
From 2007 to date: Thrash Metal.
avatar
Thiago-Brazil
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1349
Join date : 2012-03-12
Age : 29
Location : São Paulo - Brazil

Back to top Go down

Re: In which musical style you think Deliverance fits better?

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:40 am

Nothing Industrial sounding about Assimilation, Electronic Metal with some Industrial Influences, because it sounds like its more electronic than industrial.

Here is some info you may not know being a D fan you might find this interesting: During that period Jimmy was wanting to pursue Fearful Symmetry, did you know that Jimmy wrote Assimilation using a keyboard he didnt even own a guitar when writing that album. If the original version of "This Sad Veil of Tears" which was to originally be a Deliverance release saw the light of day THAT id consider Industrial to a point.

I think you and I have differing opinions on what the Thrash sound actually sounds like and that's ok, because IMO its not a right or wrong thing. If everybody had the same opinion the world would be Oh so boring. Smile

River Disturbance I would call a cross of Alt/Hard Rock and Metal, its a great album.

I agree a band with a longevity like Deliverance is bound to make changes to their sound, for whatever reason what baffles me is Why are so many people hung up on how to classify it by holding it under a microscope?  and once more why am I getting drawn into it? I can answer the 2nd question and that's because I Love this band and since they are not a band anymore seems discussions go to what is what instead of discussing favorite songs, trivia or even favorite Deliverance memories.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: In which musical style you think Deliverance fits better?

Post by Follower of Jesus on Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:19 am

What's the band best known and loved for? Those first 2 records. Yeah, they made a lot of great music after that, and much of it is not thrash at all. But when I think "Deliverance", I think of those first 2 records, and especially the self-titled debut. This band should be classified as thrash all the way.
avatar
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1237
Join date : 2012-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: In which musical style you think Deliverance fits better?

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:43 am

I think about Cheeseburger Maker Du and Chipped Beef lol just kidding....Smile

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: In which musical style you think Deliverance fits better?

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:39 pm

Yeah, I have to agree with Thiago here. I'd consider most of Deliverance's stuff to be Thrash Metal.

No one is getting hung up on it. We're just discussing. Smile

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: In which musical style you think Deliverance fits better?

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:27 pm

I wasnt refering to this discussion Raven as you said we are just discussing but you know theres been tons of debates, discussioins, arguments, etc on this very topic.

I dont consider Assimilations thrash btw :p

But then again like ive said this really isnt my forte If the first few albums are thrash then whats the difference between speed metal and thrash and wouldnt the first album be considered more speed? Help me understand

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: In which musical style you think Deliverance fits better?

Post by Hardcore Christian on Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:59 pm

Aaron C wrote:Nothing Industrial sounding about Assimilation, Electronic Metal with some Industrial Influences, because it sounds like its more electronic than industrial.
Wait wut? Razz
Follower of Jesus wrote:What's the band best known and loved for? Those first 2 records. Yeah, they made a lot of great music after that, and much of it is not thrash at all. But when I think "Deliverance", I think of those first 2 records, and especially the self-titled debut. This band should be classified as thrash all the way.
Thats true
Aaron C wrote:I think about Cheeseburger Maker Du and Chipped Beef lol just kidding....Smile
I actually du

I love What A Joke
avatar
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3686
Join date : 2013-07-31
Age : 17
Location : Spokane, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: In which musical style you think Deliverance fits better?

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:53 pm

Aaron C wrote:I wasnt refering to this discussion Raven as you said we are just discussing but you know theres been tons of debates, discussioins, arguments, etc on this very topic.

I dont consider Assimilations thrash btw :p

But then again like ive said this really isnt my forte If the first few albums are thrash then whats the difference between speed metal and thrash and wouldnt the first album be considered more speed? Help me understand


No problem bro. The definition of Speed Metal is more akin to Traditional Heavy Metal or Power Metal. Bands like early Helloween, early Blind Guardian.

Here's what Rate Your Music says and I agree with this definition whole-heartedly:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speed Metal -

Speed Metal is a sub-genre of Metal originating from the NWOBHM and the work of early Heavy Metal bands such as Deep Purple and Judas Priest. It is usually considered less abrasive and more melodic than Thrash Metal, showing less influence from Hardcore Punk. However, Speed Metal is usually faster and more aggressive than traditional Heavy Metal, also showing more inclination to virtuoso soloing and featuring short instrumental passages between couplets. Speed Metal songs frequently make use of highly expressive vocals, but are usually less likely to employ 'harsh' vocals than Thrash Metal songs.

A few defining Speed Metal releases are Exciter's Violence & Force (1984), Helloween's Walls of Jericho (1985), Blind Guardian's Battalions of Fear (1988), and Angel Dust's Into the Dark Past (1986).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speed Metal never hit the big time, like Thrash Metal did. It was popular for a small window of time and then most of the bands either turned into Power Metal bands (like Helloween and Blind Guardian) or turned into Thrash Metal bands (like Slayer and Anthrax, who were also Speed Metal with their first albums).

Hope that clarifies better. I love talking about genres. It's a beautiful thing IMO. But I never like to argue or get hung up ... I know what you are saying Aaron. Some folks just like to fight. But the folks here at CMR all seem very cool to me. Glad there isn't that type of person here. Smile

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: In which musical style you think Deliverance fits better?

Post by pathogenics_cloned_twin83 on Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:30 pm

I think Jimmy does a great job in most of the styles he's tried so far...except for maybe the Assimilation stuff, wasn't so keen on that one.
avatar
pathogenics_cloned_twin83
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 495
Join date : 2012-08-12
Age : 34
Location : Missouri

http://www.facebook.com/#!/derrick.williams.5667

Back to top Go down

Re: In which musical style you think Deliverance fits better?

Post by Thiago-Brazil on Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:15 pm

Thrash metal is leading easily so far. I agree that the label is not important at all, but I am a logical kind of guy.

I imagine two piles of cds. On one side you put your heavy metal cds. On the other side you have all your thrash metal cds. Where are your Deliverance CDs?
avatar
Thiago-Brazil
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1349
Join date : 2012-03-12
Age : 29
Location : São Paulo - Brazil

Back to top Go down

Re: In which musical style you think Deliverance fits better?

Post by Hardcore Christian on Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:20 pm

Thiago-Brazil wrote:I imagine two piles of cds. Where are your Deliverance CDs?
*Favorite Deliverance CD's
avatar
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3686
Join date : 2013-07-31
Age : 17
Location : Spokane, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: In which musical style you think Deliverance fits better?

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:23 am

pathogenics_cloned_twin83 wrote:I think Jimmy does a great job in most of the styles he's tried so far...except for maybe the Assimilation stuff, wasn't so keen on that one.

I actually like Assimilation but Yeah Jimmy's a awesome singer,songwriter and musician.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: In which musical style you think Deliverance fits better?

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:25 am

RavenWolf wrote:
Aaron C wrote:I wasnt refering to this discussion Raven as you said we are just discussing but you know theres been tons of debates, discussioins, arguments, etc on this very topic.

I dont consider Assimilations thrash btw :p

But then again like ive said this really isnt my forte If the first few albums are thrash then whats the difference between speed metal and thrash and wouldnt the first album be considered more speed? Help me understand


No problem bro. The definition of Speed Metal is more akin to Traditional Heavy Metal or Power Metal. Bands like early Helloween, early Blind Guardian.

Here's what Rate Your Music says and I agree with this definition whole-heartedly:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speed Metal -

Speed Metal is a sub-genre of Metal originating from the NWOBHM and the work of early Heavy Metal bands such as Deep Purple and Judas Priest. It is usually considered less abrasive and more melodic than Thrash Metal, showing less influence from Hardcore Punk. However, Speed Metal is usually faster and more aggressive than traditional Heavy Metal, also showing more inclination to virtuoso soloing and featuring short instrumental passages between couplets. Speed Metal songs frequently make use of highly expressive vocals, but are usually less likely to employ 'harsh' vocals than Thrash Metal songs.

A few defining Speed Metal releases are Exciter's Violence & Force (1984), Helloween's Walls of Jericho (1985), Blind Guardian's Battalions of Fear (1988), and Angel Dust's Into the Dark Past (1986).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speed Metal never hit the big time, like Thrash Metal did. It was popular for a small window of time and then most of the bands either turned into Power Metal bands (like Helloween and Blind Guardian) or turned into Thrash Metal bands (like Slayer and Anthrax, who were also Speed Metal with their first albums).

Hope that clarifies better. I love talking about genres. It's a beautiful thing IMO. But I never like to argue or get hung up ... I know what you are saying Aaron. Some folks just like to fight. But the folks here at CMR all seem very cool to me. Glad there isn't that type of person here. Smile

Based on that definition how can you not say that their first album is not a Speed Metal album.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: In which musical style you think Deliverance fits better?

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:25 am

Thiago-Brazil wrote:Thrash metal is leading easily so far. I agree that the label is not important at all, but I am a logical kind of guy.

I imagine two piles of cds. On one side you put your heavy metal cds. On the other side you have all your thrash metal cds. Where are your Deliverance CDs?

In storage along with 99% of my CD library

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: In which musical style you think Deliverance fits better?

Post by metaldude on Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:05 am

Thiago-Brazil wrote:
I imagine two piles of cds. On one side you put your heavy metal cds. On the other side you have all your thrash metal cds. Where are your Deliverance CDs?

In the D's. I alphabetize. Very Happy
avatar
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 2521
Join date : 2013-10-11
Age : 51
Location : Texas

Back to top Go down

Re: In which musical style you think Deliverance fits better?

Post by Superjuice on Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:56 am

Ummm, progressive...
avatar
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1376
Join date : 2012-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: In which musical style you think Deliverance fits better?

Post by Hardcore Christian on Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:55 pm

metaldude wrote:
Thiago-Brazil wrote:
I imagine two piles of cds. On one side you put your heavy metal cds. On the other side you have all your thrash metal cds. Where are your Deliverance CDs?

In the D's. I alphabetize.  Very Happy
So do I! Very Happy
avatar
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3686
Join date : 2013-07-31
Age : 17
Location : Spokane, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: In which musical style you think Deliverance fits better?

Post by Throne of thorns on Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:55 am

I think Deliverance came into their own sound when they started playing heavy rock it sounds a lot more natural and it sits well with Jimmy awesome vocals.
avatar
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 602
Join date : 2013-08-09

Back to top Go down

Re: In which musical style you think Deliverance fits better?

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:04 am

Throne of thorns wrote:I think Deliverance came into their own sound when they started playing heavy rock it sounds a lot more natural and it sits well with Jimmy awesome vocals.

Rock on 1 Thumbs up

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: In which musical style you think Deliverance fits better?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum