Random thoughts...

Page 14 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Random thoughts...

Post by Mysterious Gamer Dude on Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:46 pm

There used to be a lot of varried flavors of pretzels, now they're just all plain or salted. And because of this I haven't bought pretzels in years. (Except for the chocolate covered ones, they don't count.)
Mysterious Gamer Dude
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:59 am

My productivity has skyrocketed this week, and I intend to maintain this level. But it doesn't help that I'm feeling sick... still not healed from my age old disease Sad
Andreas89
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:55 pm

I'm about to leave to do the walkthrough with the old landlord.  Hopefully we'll get our full deposit back!

Through The Dark Radio wrote:Yep, he's so mean, he grimaces whenever he isn't listening to DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! Twisted Evil
Kerrick
Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:34 pm

Family vacation next week and Youth Church conference this weekend!

Busy, busy
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Mysterious Gamer Dude on Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:31 pm

I've only ate two tacos and a cookie and I feel like I've eaten an entire bus.
Mysterious Gamer Dude
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:00 am

Got harrassed again by some muslim doofus trying to convert me via facebook. The only way to stop him from copy+pasting random "facts" stated by the quran or hadith was threatening to show him a cartoon of Muhammad.
Andreas89
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:11 pm

^Oh fun... Evil or Very Mad  I gotta say, that is an interesting tactic!  Perhaps this is for another thread but on a related note, I just read an article about the upcoming movie version of The Shack which alleged that the movie is in direct violation of the 2nd Commandment.  Any visual representation of God is commanded against in the first part of this:

Exodus 20:4-6 (NIV) wrote:You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments."

So I'm not sure how [Catholic] crosses with Jesus on them, nativity scenes, Easter skits, and the like fit into that.  My understanding is that, regardless, The Shack is at best has some somewhat warped theology and at worst is totally heretical, so I have no interest in reading/watching it anyways.  But either way I think I'll need to delve further into the 2nd Commandment.

On a totally unrelated note...
Kerrick wrote:I'm about to leave to do the walkthrough with the old landlord.  Hopefully we'll get our full deposit back!

He *said* we'll get the full deposit back, but then tried to ask me for money so he could pay his utility bills - else they'll shut him off.  Sigh...  I don't know if/when we'll see that deposit money but it's a full month's rent which around here is a big deal!  Evil or Very Mad   I really don't want to have to take him to small claims or anything but I am concerned.  Oh well...  We moved into our new place though and it's pretty sweet!  We still got to unpack everything which is going to take a while but it's much more spacious and has quite a bit more storage which is great.  Plus the landlords are Christians and seem super attentive and responsible.  Praise God!

Through The Dark Radio wrote:Yep, he's so mean, he grimaces whenever he isn't listening to DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! Twisted Evil
Kerrick
Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d on Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:42 pm

Kerrick wrote:^Oh fun... Evil or Very Mad  I gotta say, that is an interesting tactic!  Perhaps this is for another thread but on a related note, I just read an article about the upcoming movie version of The Shack which alleged that the movie is in direct violation of the 2nd Commandment.  Any visual representation of God is commanded against in the first part of this:

Exodus 20:4-6 (NIV) wrote:You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments."

So I'm not sure how [Catholic] crosses with Jesus on them, nativity scenes, Easter skits, and the like fit into that.  My understanding is that, regardless, The Shack is at best has some somewhat warped theology and at worst is totally heretical, so I have no interest in reading/watching it anyways.  But either way I think I'll need to delve further into the 2nd Commandment.

On a totally unrelated note...
Kerrick wrote:I'm about to leave to do the walkthrough with the old landlord.  Hopefully we'll get our full deposit back!

He *said* we'll get the full deposit back, but then tried to ask me for money so he could pay his utility bills - else they'll shut him off.  Sigh...  I don't know if/when we'll see that deposit money but it's a full month's rent which around here is a big deal!  Evil or Very Mad   I really don't want to have to take him to small claims or anything but I am concerned.  Oh well...  We moved into our new place though and it's pretty sweet!  We still got to unpack everything which is going to take a while but it's much more spacious and has quite a bit more storage which is great.  Plus the landlords are Christians and seem super attentive and responsible.  Praise God!
I listened to 'The Shack' audiobook. My cousin wanted me to read to talk about it, so I started to read it, but didn't enjoy it much finding the writing style to be hokey. Then she got me the audiobook, which after delaying for about a year, i finally got around to listening to. yeah... And now it's a movie, yeah...
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:49 pm

Veronika just sent me a message that I guess Campus Crusade ("Cru" now I think) somewhere are apparently buying tickets to take people to see it for free so they can discuss it as an evangelical event and just ignoring the heresy in the flick.  Sigh...

Kerrick
Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation on Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:06 pm

All my friends that are talking about boycotting Disney are not thinking about the ramifications. I really doubt they know that this means they will need to give up their Marvel movies, Star Wars movies, etc.

Plus, boycotts rarely work. We are in this world, not of it. We will always do business with wicked people, that's just the way it is.
New Creation
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:25 pm

New Creation wrote:All my friends that are talking about boycotting Disney are not thinking about the ramifications. I really doubt they know that this means they will need to give up their Marvel movies, Star Wars movies, etc.

Plus, boycotts rarely work. We are in this world, not of it. We will always do business with wicked people, that's just the way it is.

Because of the gay character(s) in the new Beauty And The Beast I assume?  Disney has been pretty far left for quite some time now and so this was only a matter of time that they'd do this.  (Wow so "brave" Rolling Eyes )  Because they own Marvel and Star Wars and who-knows-what-else, a few thousand lost ticket sales from conservative Christians won't even be a drop in the bucket less for them.  I would think that boycotting Disney would be more for personal reasons than anything.  And if that's the case, go for it.  But to avoid being a hypocrite, you'd have to boycott basically the entirety of Hollywood because the vast majority are pretty extreme liberals.

Kerrick
Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d on Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:27 pm

New Creation wrote:All my friends that are talking about boycotting Disney are not thinking about the ramifications. I really doubt they know that this means they will need to give up their Marvel movies, Star Wars movies, etc.

Yes and yes. More simple not to see the one film in question. I'm very curious how it will fare. Of course that is if anybody has the sense to boycott the film. Disheartening how many of the brethren I know who don't seem to see the issue.
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation on Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:16 pm

Kerrick wrote:

Because of the gay character(s) in the new Beauty And The Beast I assume?  Disney has been pretty far left for quite some time now and so this was only a matter of time that they'd do this.  (Wow so "brave" Rolling Eyes )  Because they own Marvel and Star Wars and who-knows-what-else, a few thousand lost ticket sales from conservative Christians won't even be a drop in the bucket less for them.  I would think that boycotting Disney would be more for personal reasons than anything.  And if that's the case, go for it.  But to avoid being a hypocrite, you'd have to boycott basically the entirety of Hollywood because the vast majority are pretty extreme liberals.

d@v!d wrote:

Yes and yes. More simple not to see the one film in question. I'm very curious how it will fare. Of course that is if anybody has the sense to boycott the film. Disheartening how many of the brethren I know who don't seem to see the issue.

For these people, my friends, I really doubt they're thinking this through, as you both replied. If they go to a coffee shop, and a homosexual serves them the coffee, I bet they still put a tip in the jar. They're not ready for a real boycott, where it changes your entire lifestyle. But even then, the farmer you buy your grain from to make your homemade bread might be having an affair with another woman, so perhaps they should stop eating altogether. LOL

Back in the days of our big protests, I used to show up holding a Starbucks drink and I'd proudly proclaim to my fellow protesters that Starbucks was feeding and providing beverages to pro-life protesters. If I felt especially motivated that day, I'd let the barista know exactly where I'd be carrying their drink to and what we'd be doing that day. You've got to flip the model sometimes in this world.
New Creation
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole on Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:07 pm

Went to church for the first time in 10 years. I'll go back...
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:47 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:Went to church for the first time in 10 years. I'll go back...

I am very proud of you for giving it another chance, Thomas!!!

This afternoon, I sat down with my new portable Pyle PA and Salgo foot drums to practice.  I hope to take my cigar box guitars and become a solo artist performing my blues songs.  I'd be able to add a bass player and drummer to become a power trio like ZZ Top if I found the right people.  However, I've always had issues trying to find musicians for a band.  So, the plan is to be able to do gigs as a solo act and hope it grows from there.

Never heard of Salgo foot drums?  Check these out!

alldatndensum
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:58 am

My heart hurts badly again... I'm really worried my pericarditis has come back. Not because of the treatment, but because of the process you have to go through. Even in the Netherlands, it was official protocol to be transported by ambulance (although I could take the bus to the hospital). In Germany, everyting is way more regulated, so... But well, we'll see how it unfolds.
Andreas89
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:19 am

Hardcore Christian wrote:Family vacation next week and Youth Church conference this weekend!

Busy, busy

Sounds like we've got the same kind of schedule!  We did a church youth conference this past weekend.  We were at the Youth Evangelism Conference (YEC) in Nashville, TN at the old Municipal Auditorium where President Trump will be speaking on Wednesday.  On Wednesday, we are headed up to Gatlinburg, TN for a couple of days of fun in our rustic chalet where we will enjoy some quiet and a hot tub!
alldatndensum
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:55 am

I just made a post so there would now be 667 replies to this thread.
Thanks.
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:54 am

Thanks Thomas for saving the day.

Kerrick
Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation on Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:05 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:I just made a post so there would now be 667 replies to this thread.
Thanks.

Kerrick wrote:Thanks Thomas for saving the day.

The Beast was at our door,
But Thomas made just one post more,
Bringing our count to six-six-seven,
And now we are closer to Heaven
New Creation
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla on Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:25 pm

Mysterious Gamer Dude wrote:There used to be a lot of varried flavors of pretzels, now they're just all plain or salted. And because of this I haven't bought pretzels in years. (Except for the chocolate covered ones, they don't count.)
You need to look for these:

MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole on Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:48 pm

New Creation wrote:
The Beast was at our door,
But Thomas made just one post more,
Bringing our count to six-six-seven,
And now we are closer to Heaven

LOL
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:11 am

I'm about to call the doctor. I'm afraid I'll have to go to the hospital, German medical ethics are far more caring than in the Netherlands so I expect some overkill.

FYI, in the Netherlands I heard from the doctor that it was official protocol to be transported by ambulance, but she said I could take the bus. That sort of leniency cannot be expected here, plus the fact that there are far more medical precautions. Ugh.
Andreas89
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Mysterious Gamer Dude on Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:25 pm

Sitting in Walmart, just chilling. Got nothing better to do. Gonna rebuild my camp fire again once I get back to the house, maybe cook something on my makeshift stove again. It's still pretty wet outside from a couple days ago, hopefully I still have some embers left in the fire. I'd hate to waste any more matches.
Mysterious Gamer Dude
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:56 pm

I just bought tickets to see Warning this June! I'm stoked. Watching From A Distance is an amazing album. I'm curious whether they reformed just to tour or if they'll be working on new material too?

Kerrick
Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d on Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:22 pm

You know those days when decided to where your green shirt to work only because it was the last clean shirt in the closet and for no other reason?
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian on Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:07 pm

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - M.Twain
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 on Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:23 am

Just cooked some eggs... now let's get ready for lunch!
Andreas89
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d on Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:57 pm

My oldest son has gotten a small collection of little green army men with an assortment of tanks and such. He and the youngest have been outside playing with them in the sand box just about every day it isn't raining. After play time, he's been telling me about all his exploits battling his brother. Yesterday he asks me if they make a bag of soldiers already dead. I quickly told him ho, I hadn't seen such before and then it sunk in. Can you imagine, a bag for of dead soldiers? How anticlimactic and how morbid!
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:11 pm

I love days at school when I am prepared to be a rebel and wear jeans despite staff dress codes and the principal sends out an email telling that tomorrow is a jeans day!
alldatndensum
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:41 am

The Dutch version of the phrase "not yet" is really weird compared with its English counterpart. We say "nog niet", with the exact same intonation. However, the words are the other way around, because niet=not and nog=yet(or still).
Andreas89
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:43 am

‘tán muy fea la cosa aquí. ¡Señor, ayúdanos!

Last edited by d@v!d on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:48 am

Andreas89 wrote:The Dutch version of the phrase "not yet" is really weird compared with its English counterpart. We say "nog niet", with the exact same intonation. However, the words are the other way around, because niet=not and nog=yet(or still).
Fascinating.

Opa was born in the Ukraine and come to the US in his youth. My dad told me he was German but my cousin insists he was Dutch. I studied German language for a year. How different is German from Dutch? When I see Dutch written, there looks like there are a lot of cognates between German and Dutch.
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:25 am

Actually, Dutch and German are very much alike. Like if a word is masculine or feminine; however, that question has way less consequences in Dutch. In German, you must adapt your adverbs to the gender of a word; it's a way more schematic language with way more "decoration", so to speak. Also, the German language knows more combined words, which is slightly less so in Dutch. I'd rather "make up" a German word like that than a Dutch word.

Another thing is that some German words are very similar to a bit more archaic Dutch words. That was an enormous advantage for me, since I was raised with a Bible translation from the 17th century.

What is pretty weird by the way is that the Dutch language is actually way more blunt; our Gs are way sharper, and we pronounce the vowels way more "open". German is way more subtle and artistic. But it sounds way more awesome when you're angry Razz
Andreas89
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:35 am

Andreas89 wrote:Actually, Dutch and German are very much alike. Like if a word is masculine or feminine; however, that question has way less consequences in Dutch. In German, you must adapt your adverbs to the gender of a word; it's a way more schematic language with way more "decoration", so to speak.
Yeah, that rings true. I learned to speak Spanish in less than 2 years and then I though I could learn German too. Got my tail kicked. I felt like I was doing algebra every time I wanted to make a non-simple sentence in German making sure that all the suffixes matched depending on gender and case.
Also, the German language knows more combined words, which is slightly less so in Dutch. I'd rather "make up" a German word like that than a Dutch word.

Another thing is that some German words are very similar to a bit more archaic Dutch words. That was an enormous advantage for me, since I was raised with a Bible translation from the 17th century.

What is pretty weird by the way is that the Dutch language is actually way more blunt; our Gs are way sharper, and we pronounce the vowels way more "open". German is way more subtle and artistic. But it sounds way more awesome when you're angry Razz
Ha!
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by exo on Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:22 pm

"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole on Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:40 pm

LOL. I had to stop calling ambulances "meat wagons" after I married a nurse. Well, almost stop. Sometimes its worth the Neutral face from my wife by calling it that. (me and a few friends referred to them as meat wagons ever since college)

ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:02 am

Actually, another (more official) German word for ambulance is "Ambulanz". But at least Dutch has its equivalent of "Krankenwagen" (namely "ziekenauto"). But ambulance is the regular word.
Andreas89
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation on Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:15 am

And in a famous youtube video, AMBER LAMPS
New Creation
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:19 am

I just had to translate the word "Beziehungsgeflecht" into English for my thesis. Way to butcher such a beautiful word by "network of relationships".
Andreas89
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude on Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:11 pm

^ I am glad I never had that one on a spelling test.
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole on Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:02 pm

I'm glad I never had Paracoccidioidomicosisproctitissarcomucosis on a spelling test.

(Goregrind band which name means a combination of several medical terms and diseases (paracoccidioidomycosis, proctitis, sarcoma and mucosa) defined as ‘a weird disease that contaminates carcasses, making them asplode(sic) while killing everyone in a two kilometers radius’)
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian on Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:33 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:I'm glad I never had Paracoccidioidomicosisproctitissarcomucosis on a spelling test.

(Goregrind band which name means a combination of several medical terms and diseases (paracoccidioidomycosis, proctitis, sarcoma and mucosa) defined as ‘a weird disease that contaminates carcasses, making them asplode(sic) while killing everyone in a two kilometers radius’)
Not to hate on this band but jeez how is the normal person suppose to look you up! Razz

And also I'd love to see that on an album cover What a Face

EDIT: I take that back, I just looked up their album art pale
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:10 am

^LOL
Andreas89
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by exo on Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:14 am

Hardcore Christian wrote:
ThomasEversole wrote:I'm glad I never had Paracoccidioidomicosisproctitissarcomucosis on a spelling test.

Not to hate on this band but jeez how is the normal person suppose to look you up! Razz

Googling goregrind album covers are sorta like Googling medical symptoms.  Usually not a great idea Laughing

"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Driven on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:28 am

I need a summer job. My bank account is not looking great and I have some repairs and expenses coming up. Guess I'll just have to wait for somewhere to call me back.
Driven
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://danielbandfan.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian on Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:12 pm

exo wrote:
Hardcore Christian wrote:

Googling goregrind album covers are sorta like Googling medical symptoms.  Usually not a great idea Laughing
lol!  I've learned now
I dont own any goregrind so yea, I have definitely learned now face palm
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation on Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:21 pm

It's funny to me that there are no active Open Theists in the Open Theist thread but the thread continues on. It's like it has a life of it's own!
New Creation
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:49 pm

Does it know its future though, that is the question...

Kerrick
Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:23 am

New Creation wrote:It's funny to me that there are no active Open Theists in the Open Theist thread but the thread continues on. It's like it has a life of it's own!
Look at us.

It is our thread now.
Andreas89
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top