The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ever have 1 song that made you hate a group you normally would have liked?

+7
WildWorld
exo
Kerrick
sentient 6
metaldude
Xid
Superjuice
11 posters

Go down

Ever have 1 song that made you hate a group you normally would have liked?  Empty Ever have 1 song that made you hate a group you normally would have liked?

Post by Guest Mon May 25, 2015 9:55 am

I saw that Tesla was closing Rocklahoma and it made me think about this..

Here is a band that plays the style I like, from an era I like, and was successful.

And yet, I simply refuse to listen to them or even give them a chance.

All because of one song.

It all started back when they first released "Signs".

I immediately hated the song, despite everyone else loving it. Then it was on MTV constantly and I just got so sick of it that I wanted nothing to do with the band, ever.

So to this day, I still can't listen to this band all because of one song.

Not a conscious decision, really. It's just been programmed into me that I hate this band.

Anyone else ever experience something like this?

Back to top Go down

Ever have 1 song that made you hate a group you normally would have liked?  Empty Re: Ever have 1 song that made you hate a group you normally would have liked?

Post by Guest Mon May 25, 2015 9:57 am

I guess you can say that all I can think of when it comes to Tesla is that one song..

And what is funny is that I don't think  they even wrote it

Back to top Go down

Ever have 1 song that made you hate a group you normally would have liked?  Empty Re: Ever have 1 song that made you hate a group you normally would have liked?

Post by Superjuice Mon May 25, 2015 11:49 am

Amusing.  Didn't care for the cover, but it didn't ruin the band for me either.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Xid Mon May 25, 2015 12:14 pm

Signs was originally done by Five Man Electrical Band whose name inspired the title for Tesla's album Five Man Acoustical Jam.
Xid
Xid
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://www.joshuascreed.com

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Tue May 26, 2015 9:08 am

I didn't like Signs, either. Don't let it ruin the band for you. I haven't followed their entire career, but their first three albums are monsters.
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Tue May 26, 2015 2:02 pm

...the first three Tesla albums are classic hard rock/metal albums.

......it would take more than one song to change that.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Tue May 26, 2015 2:09 pm

That's happened to me... though more from a lyrical standpoint.  Take Metallica for instance: their lyrics have never been positive, uplifting, or particularly wholesome... though I can look past some of that.  But their lyrics to "The God That Failed" really put me off to the whole band:

The healing hand held back by the deepened nail
Follow the god that failed

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Tue May 26, 2015 2:21 pm

Kerrick wrote:That's happened to me... though more from a lyrical standpoint.  Take Metallica for instance: their lyrics have never been positive, uplifting, or particularly wholesome... though I can look past some of that.  But their lyrics to "The God That Failed" really put me off to the whole band:

I can understand that. But if you look at that song closer, James is really commenting on his Christian Science upbringing as a kid. Which is a metaphysical cult that teaches that we should all be healed because all disease and suffering are not " real. " Look into the specific teachings and you will see that James is more focused on that.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 26, 2015 7:14 pm

Kerrick wrote:That's happened to me... though more from a lyrical standpoint.  Take Metallica for instance: their lyrics have never been positive, uplifting, or particularly wholesome... though I can look past some of that.  But their lyrics to "The God That Failed" really put me off to the whole band:

Rock on, Iron Maiden grand poobah! 

Same with me.  But I got my "revenge" on M in one of my stories.  Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by exo Tue May 26, 2015 9:42 pm

sentient 6 wrote:

I can understand that. But if you look at that song closer, James is really commenting on his Christian Science upbringing as a kid. Which is a metaphysical cult that teaches that we should all be healed because all disease and suffering are not " real. " Look into the specific teachings and you will see that James is more focused on that.
Bingo.....contextually, if you pay attention to the lyrics, it's ACTUALLY  a condemnation of Hetfields father and his upbringing.

"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 27, 2015 7:44 am

Cool to learn that.  Sometimes I don't mind being wrong. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 27, 2015 9:14 am

sentient 6 wrote:...the first three Tesla albums are classic hard rock/metal albums.

......it would take more than one song to change that.

Yeah, it didn't take more than one song for me. I have absolutely no desire to ever hear anything else they ever did.

Never said it was logical I felt this way, I just do.......really odd...I know   Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Wed May 27, 2015 9:23 am

I find it better to judge bands on a song-by-song basis. I mean, one bad movie doesnt negate the whole body of work by an actor does it? Heck, i've even found some limp bizkit songs that are at least tolerable.

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 27, 2015 9:37 am

WildWorld wrote:I find it better to judge bands on a song-by-song basis. I mean, one bad movie doesnt negate the whole body of work by an actor does it? Heck, i've even found some limp bizkit songs that are at least tolerable.

Agreed.....

But that's why I find it so fascinating about the way I feel concerning Tesla.

I'm not like that with any other band or movie. I have a lot of artists that I like even though they may have some songs I don't like. And I have actors I like even though they have some bad movies.

It NEVER made sense to me why I built such a hatred towards Tesla off of one song. NEVER.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Wed May 27, 2015 11:12 am

exo wrote:
sentient 6 wrote:

Bingo.....contextually, if you pay attention to the lyrics, it's ACTUALLY  a condemnation of Hetfields father and his upbringing.

Interesting!  I did not know that...

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Sun May 31, 2015 9:41 am

To me, Megadeth, Metallica, Marilyn Manson, Panter and other 90's "metal" is ruined and I could never enjoy it. I attribute that to all the stoner metalhead friends in high school I jammed with and they'd play on electric guitar the same radio friendly songs over and over... with horrible timing.

It literally sounds like a stoner messing up on guitar to me when I hear the actual song recordings.
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MegaNorm64 Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:53 pm

Anthrax Greater Of 2 Evils album pretty much lit the fire for my John Bush hatred lol. I can only stand a handful of songs from the Bush albums but, Greater Of 2 Evils was just a dang shame. Slowing down great songs like Indians, Madhouse, Caught In A Mosh, Along The Living etc. so that Bush could sing the songs in his grunge/hard rock type of voice, ugh... Just talking about it makes me cringe.
MegaNorm64
MegaNorm64
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:35 pm

We shouldn't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

What is wrong with having a nuanced view of a band?
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:03 am

Guns n Roses' Sweet Child O Mine. It might have been the overexposure more than the song itself. Either way, I haven't liked the band since then.
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Throne of thorns Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:48 am

There is a story behind those lyrics that may change your perspective.  It is about James mother and the religion she was part of said she could not use conventional medicine as she was to have faith in God for healing. Well as it turns out she dies and James wrote this song about the God that failed his mother......Sad but true that is his reality and he felt at a time religion once again ruled over someones life....Positive maybe not...truthful indeed.
Throne of thorns
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Throne of thorns Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:50 am

ThomasEversole wrote:To me, Megadeth, Metallica, Marilyn Manson, Panter and other 90's "metal" is ruined and I could never enjoy it. I attribute that to all the stoner metalhead friends in high school I jammed with and they'd play on electric guitar the same radio friendly songs over and over... with horrible timing.

It literally sounds like a stoner messing up on guitar to me when I hear the actual song recordings.
Lol agreed all I can think of when I hear those bands though I do like some of them is BOGAN! Often confused with person into metal!
Throne of thorns
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:02 pm

For me anything Stone Temple Pilots have done post Weiland....

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down