The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

King James releases new music video for "Prisoner"

+8
Soldier777
deathisgain
eatbugs
Follower of Jesus
Candlemass
alldatndensum
bjorn agin
Staybrite
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

King James releases new music video for "Prisoner" Empty King James releases new music video for "Prisoner"

Post by Guest Fri May 15, 2015 2:31 pm

I like it   Rockin Loud

Back to top Go down

King James releases new music video for "Prisoner" Empty Re: King James releases new music video for "Prisoner"

Post by Staybrite Fri May 15, 2015 3:01 pm

Well done.

I hope nobody thinks I'm "nit picking" here, but I wish they would have spent their time and effort (and money) on making new music instead.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

King James releases new music video for "Prisoner" Empty Re: King James releases new music video for "Prisoner"

Post by Guest Fri May 15, 2015 3:18 pm

Staybrite wrote:Well done.

I hope nobody thinks I'm "nit picking" here, but I wish they would have spent their time and effort (and money) on making new music instead.

I'm greedy  pig ...  I wanted both new music AND the video

Twisted Evil

I would gladly contribute via one of the crowd funding sites for a new album

Back to top Go down

Post by bjorn agin Fri May 15, 2015 5:51 pm

Not bad. Not bad at all.

I hadn't heard their latest release. It's a definite improvement over their earlier material (especially The Fall, which left me underwhelmed). This (especially the guitar) sounds a bit Whitecross-ish. But that might just be Rex sounding like Rex.

I have to admit,  just now I didn't watch the video so much as I listened to it. So was it money well spent? Weeellll.....
bjorn agin
bjorn agin
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Fri May 15, 2015 6:04 pm

Staybrite wrote:Well done.

THIS EXACTLY!

A video is a nice promo for an album, but the newest album has been out for a while.  It is time to get back in the studio with all new songs and prove that they've still really got it.  "Maximus" was mostly just rehashed old tracks and the new songs just didn't prove to me that this band still had that staying power or the hunger needed to deliver what their fans want.  They NEED a new album with 10 blistering songs and two cool ballads or maybe 8 blistering tracks, two cool bluesy tracks, and two ballads.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 15, 2015 8:01 pm

The quality of the video is excellent! Very well done! And they fulfilled their promises of the indiegogo campaign. By the way, I had the opportunity of speak with the band and they are all great guys. I will certainly be a part of any King James crowdfunding projects I the future.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 15, 2015 8:05 pm

By the way, keep an eye out to the Waiting for the king, whichis the another video they did.

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sat May 16, 2015 8:12 am

This is one of those songs that actually lost something on the remake to me.  Rex's performance is stellar.  Jimi sounds great as does the bass player.  It is Michael's drumming that takes away here.  Instead of just driving it like Robert Sweet did on the original, he does some sort of weird alternative pattern during the choruses that is really distracting to me.  It is almost like he wanted to do something different but couldn't figure something really good out.  Give me the original any day as it was better.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Candlemass Sat May 16, 2015 8:31 am

What song is this from, the original, that is?
Candlemass
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 16, 2015 9:04 am

Candlemass,

The original version is on their self-titled first album

Back to top Go down

Post by Candlemass Sat May 16, 2015 9:17 am

So this is better?

Candlemass
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Candlemass Sat May 16, 2015 9:18 am

What exactly was on the last lp they released?
Candlemass
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 16, 2015 11:49 am

No way the original is better than the remake. You might dislike what the drummer did on this song, but Robert Sweet was never a great player at all...

Camdlemass, the last ep is a mix of new songs (at around 4), and a few redone tracks from their debut albums plus a couple of instrumental tracks. As I stated several times here, those tracks needed to be redone and they are much better than the original. The only waste was the unppluged version of Miracles, as the "eletric" version was also redone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Sat May 16, 2015 1:31 pm

Thiago - I have to agree with Alldat on this one. There was not one of the remakes that I thought was better than the original versions. Every last one of those remakes is inferior to the originals. They made a video...big deal. Honestly, who cares? You watch it once, and then never see it again. They should definitely have put the money to use for studio time to be recording a new album.

The other thing about that video that drives me crazy is when you can clearly hear two guitar parts (a lead solo and a rhythm guitar), but there's only one guitar player. I love Dokken, but their videos from back in the day had the same problem. This video is another example. Rex pretended to be playing the solos, but you can hear - as loud as day - the other guitar, but there's no other player.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sat May 16, 2015 1:41 pm

No way the original is better than the remake. You might dislike what the drummer did on this song, but Robert Sweet was never a great player at all...

Really?  Have you never heard all the stuff he has done with Bill Menchen?  You may or may not be a fan of Menchen's music, but Robert shows on those albums that he has always been on a major leash with Stryper.  Even with King James, you can tell that he is playing to what the main creative force of the band, Rex, was wanting.  With all of Bill Menchen's projects, Robert was allowed to explore and create where and what he wanted and it shows.  Robert is way more of a player than what he will most likely be remembered for.

So this is better?

In my opinion, yes.  Robert is playing the drums during the choruses to really let the rhythm guitar and vocals create the big hook.  The drums give the song a nice driving feel that it needs.  In the newer version, Feighan does this newer, almost alternative skipping beat that sounds like he doesn't know the song very well at all to me.  It distracts and detracts from the feel of the song.  Instead of strengthening an already strong song, it weakens it horribly.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Candlemass Sat May 16, 2015 1:42 pm

Perhaps they should've remade the entire first lp w/a few new tracks...
Candlemass
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Candlemass Sat May 16, 2015 1:43 pm

Never heard the debut before...
Candlemass
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Sat May 16, 2015 2:42 pm

I enjoy King James in all musical forms.  Honestly, I go back and forth on if I like the originals or re-records better.  I definitely like the layered vocals on the originals better.  Waiting for the King is my favorite song by them though.

I'm with FoJ: just make a new album.  I didn't support this project because I don't watch videos.  I would support a new CD.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Sat May 16, 2015 6:31 pm

I know this may be treason to some, but Robert Sweet was a great drummer. His latest stuff is run of the mill. Even with his Menchen project, which in my opinion was polishing a turd. Menchen has chops but the vocals are horrendous and over power any good in the music. That being said, I think they should have put out a new record, but understand why they retread the songs for music rights.
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Sat May 16, 2015 7:08 pm

I agree with deathisgain. Robert Sweet is a great drummer and so is Mike Feighan with Whitecross and King James. I'm not familiar with Menchen, but I always fount Robert Sweet drumming good with Stryper. The production of the King James debut was quite good so I think the remakes was unnecessary unless it was to secure the music rights from Star Song.

As far as the video, they could of did the first video on an original song like Waiting for the King or even Just As I Am which is a most excellent hymn. The video itself has some things that I didn't like. I like performance videos but the running theme could of been presented. They could of shot the video in a prison with a bloodied cross and garment in the back drop. I find that recent videos like Stryper's No More Hell to Pay and Sympathy and Impellitteri's Wicked Maiden, Last of a Dying Breed, Wicked Maiden and Empire of Lies are performance videos with no images relating to the themes.They are all about look how good how I can play. Also, the facial expressions of Rex and Carroll kind of bothers me. Jimmi was putting too much into the video when he could of laid back and just perform. For me the highlight was watching Mike play drums but I would of liked to see a bigger kit.

Last edited by Soldier777 on Sun May 17, 2015 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sun May 17, 2015 6:28 am

When I speak of Menchen's stuff, Robert was also on the remastered versions of Final Axe, the Titanic albums, one of the Menchen albums he did with Ken Redding on vocals, etc.  The Seventh Power stuff is okay, but he does need a different vocalist.  Bill's range isn't high enough to be convincing as the Ozzy soundalike as he did on the first two Rev Seven cassettes that they put out long before most of us had heard of them.

Robert's work on all of those albums menchened was phenomenal and added a lot of definition to the songs.  He always played to the song but added parts to dress things up.  With the King James stuff, I would imagine that he came in and played what Rex wanted.  I just still don't like that skipping thing that Feighan is doing in the remake.

Time for a NEW album, King James.  Show us what ya' got!
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 17, 2015 8:08 am

That skipping you speak of, I heard it in the mp3 playing it yesterday in the car.

It is annoying. I actually thought there was a problem with my CD rip the first time I heard it. It is kind of a stutter...Destroys the whole tempo

That being said, I think the rest of Maximus is awesome.

I like both the s/t release and Maximus equally

Last edited by NoOneIsHere on Sun May 17, 2015 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Sun May 17, 2015 12:20 pm

alldatndensum wrote:...all of those albums menchened...
Monkey Biz

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 17, 2015 8:13 pm

Follower of Jesus wrote:Thiago - I have to agree with Alldat on this one. There was not one of the remakes that I thought was better than the original versions. Every last one of those remakes is inferior to the originals. They made a video...big deal. Honestly, who cares? You watch it once, and then never see it again. They should definitely have put the money to use for studio time to be recording a new album.

I would prefer to back a project of a brand new album as well. But I guess they managed to do the video, not only for the current fans, but to attract new fans as well as help them to schedule concerts. Maybe the video can be some sort of a business card. So, Rex could show to event sponsors what kind of music they do and maybe prove that they can be profitable showing the number of views on this videoclip.

I didn't back them because of the rewards or because a REALLY wanted to see a video clip of them, but because I wanted to help them to spread the word of King James band, through the video, music, concerts, etc. The testemony of the song Miracles is awesome and I want this message to reach as much people as possible. I didn't do it for myself, I did it for the band business and for the christian messsage that shall be listened. Share it on your facebook pages, spread it to your friends, there are people out there who needs to hear this message.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next