The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CD / Cassette Covers and their importance in the 80's and early 90's

+4
Candlemass
Staybrite
6stringgrind
metaldude
8 posters

Go down

CD / Cassette Covers and their importance in the 80's and early 90's Empty CD / Cassette Covers and their importance in the 80's and early 90's

Post by Guest Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:58 pm

I remember back during that time, there wasn't a whole lot of info available on new releases in the Christian rock/metal genre. There were some underground fanzines, and CCM would shock you now and then with something, and every once in a while you caught wind of new music via the local Christian radio station, but that was rare.

So, the number one way for me and my friends to find new music was simply by going into the local Christian book/tape/cd store and taking a gamble and buying anything that even LOOKED like it rocked.

Yep, definitely got fooled now and then by buying something that seemed like it would be from a rock/metal band due to the cover, only to find out it was some Sandi Patti or 2nd Chapter of Act wanna-be.

Of course, once the Pure Metal label popped up, we at least knew we could buy ANYTHING from that label and be happy. Well, except for that one time.....Rosanna's Raiders...yeah..not what the rock/metal fan in me wanted at the time..

Anyway, covers played a significant role in which music we bought. And it isn't like there was a lot of music coming out for us. Even during the heyday of Christian hair metal, the releases were few and far apart. I can remember walking into the store just begging to be able to find something new, and if it had a cool cover it was a cinch that we would have to buy it. I am sure I am not the only one who was like that. Which makes me wonder why some rock/metal bands from back then would use some of the lame covers they did. I mean, of all the genres out there, rock/metal is definitely the one that uses "cool" imagery the most.

I thought about this today as I was listening to Chryztne and their Tales of Paradise release from 1993, and it made me think about how I would never have bought their cd/cassette back in the day. What a lame cover. I don't understand how a band doesn't realize the importance of having a cover that appeals to its fan base, which was probably males between 16 and 25.

Anyone else here buy purely based off the cover back then?

Where there any bands that you missed back then because of the cover, only to give them a try later?

CD / Cassette Covers and their importance in the 80's and early 90's 2f34ab10

Back to top Go down

CD / Cassette Covers and their importance in the 80's and early 90's Empty Re: CD / Cassette Covers and their importance in the 80's and early 90's

Post by metaldude Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:28 pm

I would have been fooled by covers on the Rez albums, but the bookstore I shopped in always had demo copies to listen to. What I miss is being able to look at a picture of a band and tell if I would like them, or not.
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

CD / Cassette Covers and their importance in the 80's and early 90's Empty Re: CD / Cassette Covers and their importance in the 80's and early 90's

Post by Guest Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:42 pm

metaldude wrote:What I miss is being able to look at a picture of a band and tell if I would like them, or not.

Hahahaha..yeah..how about it   Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by 6stringgrind Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:53 pm

The first King James album looked like an audio Bible disc or something. I almost skipped over it when I was browsing back in the day.

6stringgrind
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:28 pm

6stringgrind wrote:The first King James album looked like an audio Bible disc or something. I almost skipped over it when I was browsing back in the day.

Ahhh..that's a good one. Yeah, I DID skip over it..   Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:36 pm

I wasn't listening to Christian music is the 80's or 90's but I was listening to metal.  And I bought more than a few albums/cassettes solely based on the cover art.  Most of which I really liked....but not all of them.

About 10 years ago I found a store with a used Christain rock section in it and I bought an album solely based on the cover, hoping it was going to be a metal (or at least hard rock) band.....it wasn't.

CD / Cassette Covers and their importance in the 80's and early 90's Electr10
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:41 pm

Staybrite wrote:I wasn't listening to Christian music is the 80's or 90's but I was listening to metal.  And I bought more than a few albums/cassettes solely based on the cover art.  Most of which I really liked....but not all of them.

About 10 years ago I found a store with a used Christain rock section in it and I bought an album solely based on the cover, hoping it was going to be a metal (or at least hard rock) band.....it wasn't.

CD / Cassette Covers and their importance in the 80's and early 90's Electr10

Man..all I can think of is Leviticus or Savatage with that kinda cover.

I would ABSOLUTELY have bought this too.....  thanks for the warning..  Razz

What kind of music was it, btw? Inspirational?

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:11 pm

They are a celtic/rock/punk band.  Not bad for that style, just not at all my thing.

Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Candlemass Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:26 pm

Staybrite wrote:They are a celtic/rock/punk band.  Not bad for that style, just not at all my thing.

Candlemass
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:30 pm

I think I am going to be sick

Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:54 pm

Ah yes, square dancing for the urban crowd.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:58 pm

The cover of Mastedon's Its a Jungle Out There is a lot tougher looking than the album itself (though its not a bad album, but i was shocked when i heard other songs from it).

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:09 pm

Staybrite wrote:Ah yes, square dancing for the urban crowd.

I was hitting a lot of dance clubs in the 90s when the electric slide was popular.

Total chick dance.

They all would stop whatever they were doing and go running out onto the dance floor as quick as they could. I got dragged up a couple of times by my girlfriend...how embarrassing Embarassed now that I look back at it (my girl was hot though  Twisted Evil, so it made it better cause it made her happy..ya know what I mean ..yes..I was a pig )

Last edited by NoOneIsHere on Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by bodachi Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:24 am

For me, it was the label that piqued my interest - like the aforementioned Pure Metal and, of course, Intense Records.

(Reminds me of an old joke:
What's the best way to stop the spread of HIV?
Let R.E.X. distribute it)
bodachi
bodachi
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by MetalGospel Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:00 pm

I thought Master's Command CD cover from Sacred Warrior looked really cool.

MetalGospel
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegarveyfan Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:39 am

bodachi wrote:For me, it was the label that piqued my interest - like the aforementioned Pure Metal and, of course, Intense Records.

(Reminds me of an old joke:
What's the best way to stop the spread of HIV?
Let R.E.X. distribute it)
Bahahahahahahaha!  That's hilarious, dude!
stevegarveyfan
stevegarveyfan
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down