The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

80's Incubus - Serpent Temptation / Beyond the Unknown CDs.

+7
Candlemass
deathisgain
Friday13th
xMetalMarkx
metaldude
sentient 6
MetalGospel
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

80's Incubus - Serpent Temptation / Beyond the Unknown CDs. Empty 80's Incubus - Serpent Temptation / Beyond the Unknown CDs.

Post by MetalGospel Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:38 am

I found out about this band a few months ago by digging through Youtube looking for forgotten ignored obscure Metal bands.

I had no clue that there was an 80's band called Incubus, or that they were Christian for that matter?

I took a listen to them for the first time just to see what they sounded like.  I was really surprised of what I heard from them.  This band is brutal.  Far heavier than Mortification, but yet it wasn't noise.

It was solid Metal through and through.  Reminded me a little bit of some early Sepultura (Schizophrenia CD) and maybe some Demolition Hammer.

But in the Christian music world, there is no comparison to this band at all.

Definitely worth checking into.   Their first album was Serpent Temptation.  It came out in the late 80's.  It only came out in tape and record formats.  It has boo-awful horrible production quality to it.  You can barely even hear the singing on it.   There was a redone version that came out in 1996 that had re-recorded singing on it that sounds much clearer than the original ever did.

80's Incubus only made 2 CDs.   Serpent Temptation and Beyond the Unknown.

MetalGospel
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

80's Incubus - Serpent Temptation / Beyond the Unknown CDs. Empty Re: 80's Incubus - Serpent Temptation / Beyond the Unknown CDs.

Post by sentient 6 Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:51 am

In my opinion, the type of lyrics Incubus wrote were pretty much pseudo " Christian. " At first glance they give a appearance of being Christian, but really they are not very Biblical. You can refer to people and occurrences in the bible, and at the same time not promote the actual teaching from the Word of God. This is what I believe this band has done.

...heres a little gem from their lyrics..

" So let's destroy the devil's f**king nation "
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

80's Incubus - Serpent Temptation / Beyond the Unknown CDs. Empty Re: 80's Incubus - Serpent Temptation / Beyond the Unknown CDs.

Post by MetalGospel Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:58 am

I listened to both of their CDs all the way through from beginning to end.

Musically, it is amazing.  But lyrically, I got absolutely nothing out of anything they were singing.

I agree.  It sort-of reminded me of some Vengeance Rising with the lyrics.  Singing about in-general Christian themes but not really giving any Scripture or any insight in any of the songs.

For lyrics, I think I will stick with Petra, Deliverance, Stryper, and Bloodgood.

MetalGospel
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:21 am

MetalGospel wrote:I listened to both of their CDs all the way through from beginning to end.

Musically, it is amazing.  But lyrically, I got absolutely nothing out of anything they were singing.

I agree.  It sort-of reminded me of some Vengeance Rising with the lyrics.  Singing about in-general Christian themes but not really giving any Scripture or any insight in any of the songs.

For lyrics, I think I will stick with Petra, Deliverance, Stryper, and Bloodgood.

...I agree.... Thumbs up
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:23 am

MetalGospel wrote:
 Singing about in-general Christian themes but not really giving any Scripture or any insight in any of the songs.

I would even go as far to say that some of their lyrics are anti-scriptural. In the sense they present some false ideas that goes against the clear revelation of scripture.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by MetalGospel Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:27 am

Got to admit, that might be the most brutal Christian band I have ever heard.

But lyrically, they didn't have much going on for them.

Stryper looked like bumble bees on stage and they were slowly but surely starting to go in the Pop direction around the In God We Trust days, but they had very anointed lyrics that can change people's lives. 

*Although I still can't get enough of The Yellow & Black Attack CD and Soldiers Under Command CD from them*

Just because a band is super heavy and can really shred on a guitar doesn't mean they have powerful lyrics in the songs.

MetalGospel
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:26 pm

MetalGospel wrote:
Just because a band is super heavy and can really shred on a guitar doesn't mean they have powerful lyrics in the songs.
 Very true.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:26 pm

Just a footnote on Incubus. They changed their name to Opprobrium  and released two more albums, Discerning Forces and Mandatory Evac. There was also a re-release of Serpent Temptation under the Opprobrium name.
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MetalGospel Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:16 pm

I knew they switched their name, but I didn't know they made other CDs after Beyond the Unknown CD?

MetalGospel
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by xMetalMarkx Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:37 pm

Great band!  Back when Beyond the Unknown came out I was puzzled how such lyrical content could have snuck onto a Nuclear Blast release.  It turned out later that N.B. signed some more obvious "Christian" bands.

Beyond the Unknown was also reissued as an Opprobrium title.  The remasters beat the original releases hands-down, IMHO.  The more widely available reissue of Serpent Temptation is partially re-recorded and remixed w/all new vocals.

Their lyrics evolved somewhat and were pretty solid by the time Discerning Forces came out, although a lot of people will disagree with their view on the rapture.  Mandatory Evac suffered drastically from a bad production/mix, unfortunately.

I wouldn't write them off for an occasional cuss, similarly Vomitorial Corpulence, but that's just me.
xMetalMarkx
xMetalMarkx
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:07 pm

metaldude wrote:Just a footnote on Incubus. They changed their name to Opprobrium  and released two more albums, Discerning Forces and Mandatory Evac. There was also a re-release of Serpent Temptation under the Opprobrium name.

If the band wanted to promote a Christian worldview, I never understood the choice of using the Incubus. A superstitious view of a demon that has sex with women ? For a " Christian " band ? scratch
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:14 pm

xMetalMarkx wrote:
I wouldn't write them off for an occasional cuss, similarly Vomitorial Corpulence, but that's just me.

If someone likes the band it probably won't matter much if they are really bent on listening to them. But for a band that may have sought to be accepted as " Christian "themed art, I would say using curse words is very poor judgment. We sometimes have double standards as Christians I think. We would never tolerate a pastor on Sunday morning in his sermon saying something to the effect of " lets destroy the f**king works of satan ! "
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:55 pm

sentient 6 wrote:
metaldude wrote:Just a footnote on Incubus. They changed their name to Opprobrium  and released two more albums, Discerning Forces and Mandatory Evac. There was also a re-release of Serpent Temptation under the Opprobrium name.

If the band wanted to promote a Christian worldview, I never understood the choice of using the Incubus. A superstitious view of a demon that has sex with women ? For a " Christian " band ? scratch

You know it's in the Bible right...nephilim and all that. So now different interpretations are superstitions?  Razz I didn't like the name either, but more because I lean towards believing they existed. Yikes!
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:54 pm

Friday13th wrote:
sentient 6 wrote:

You know it's in the Bible right...nephilim and all that. So now different interpretations are superstitions?  Razz I didn't like the name either, but more because I lean towards believing they existed. Yikes!

With the ongoing argument of what "Nephilim" means, it's a stretch to say that an Incubus is the same thing.
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:04 pm

I never said they're the same thing, but if nephilim are what many people think (half-demon half-man) then there must have been incubuses...or is it incubi?  Laughing In that case, "sons of god" = incubuses.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by xMetalMarkx Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:12 pm

sentient 6 wrote:
xMetalMarkx wrote:

If someone likes the band it probably won't matter much if they are really bent on listening to them. But for a band that may have sought to be accepted as " Christian "themed art, I would say using curse words is very poor judgment. We sometimes have double standards as Christians I think. We would never tolerate a pastor on Sunday morning in his sermon saying something to the effect of " lets destroy the f**king works of satan ! "

I agree that it would be in poor judgment in the context you describe.  I've never known that Incubus ever set out to be categorized as "Christian" or that they were ever marketed as such.  But it's pretty evident which side the lyrics take, cussing notwithstanding.  VxCx's full length is an example of a "Christian" album w/a curse word or two.  Pale Horse also snuck an f-bomb in (even getting broadcast on Tempered Steel w/the offending word--oops!).  Both bands are still considered "Christian" by many.  Art is somewhat subjective--I avoid drawing hard lines when it comes to art and let the Spirit inform what's OK & what's poisonous for me personally--so I have no skin in the game re. how Incubus gets categorized here.  I've dug them for about 25 years...whenever I see mention of them I chime in about how good I think they are, & I think they're really worth checking out for people into brutal bands (there's another thread around here somewhere where they got discussed alongside Devastation for Christian-themed lyrics).  They never really got much attention, which is too bad considering the quality of the material.
xMetalMarkx
xMetalMarkx
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Candlemass Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:29 pm

Friday13th wrote:I never said they're the same thing, but if nephilim are what many people think (half-demon half-man) then there must have been incubuses...or is it incubi?  Laughing In that case, "sons of god" = incubuses.

Only superstitious folks... alien
Candlemass
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Candlemass Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:32 pm

Personally, I think using profanity in art profanes the art, it diminishes it's quality, many times it just sounds stupid...
Candlemass
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:11 pm

Friday13th wrote:I never said they're the same thing, but if nephilim are what many people think (half-demon half-man) then there must have been incubuses...or is it incubi?  Laughing In that case, "sons of god" = incubuses.

Putting aside the theological truth of if there are real Incubi, the name is still inappropriate for a christian band or a band promoting a christian world view. When that band came out, I really thought that they were some kind satanic band or one that promotes a darker view of things. Just the name alone gave me that impression. I was familar with the band and the songs, but I had no idea there songs were not glorifying evil. But to be fair, I never had a lyric sheet either.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:15 pm

Friday13th wrote:

I can't go into, but there are very sound reasons to believe that spiritual creatures can't have sex ( unless God allows such a thing to take place ). That said, what would be the difference ( in principle ) between naming your band Incubus, and say.....Lucifer ?
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:25 pm

sentient 6 wrote:
Friday13th wrote:

I can't go into, but there are very sound reasons to believe that spiritual creatures can't have sex ( unless God allows such a thing to take place ). That said, what would be the difference ( in principle ) between naming your band Incubus, and say.....Lucifer ?

Unless the Bible says that they did...in that case, there are very sound reasons to believe they can!  clown
Yeah, I totally agree with the name being very questionable for a "Christian" band (which I think we all agree is not quite the case). That's what I'm saying! In fact, I think it's worse if you do think Incubuses existed because IT IS like naming your band "Demons from Hell." They wouldn't just be some fairytale villain.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:35 pm

Just found this thread saw the stuff about the "F" bomb

but past that HOW ARE THESE "CHRISTIAN" LYRICS?

"Alone in my house
Full of hate and fear
Your death is near
My passion for killing will take you to death
I slay a victim I torture his wife
They die by my knife
I'm coming for you
So take your last breath
The more I kill, the more the need grows
I dislodge the eyes and hack off the nose

CHORUS
I'm a sadistic sinner
I will slash you at will
It is the devil inside me
Who makes me wanna kill

Evil
And you will die by my hand
Killer
And I'll make you understand
Possessed
Just like the knife in my hand
Killer

He taunts my soul and he twists my mind
The blood of my victims is all they can find
I dismember the body as its blood is being sprayed
I gaze in splendor at the mess I have made
Cold is the blade
I carry in rage
They live in fear
My passion for killing will take you to death
My soul is a demon that no one can save
I spread my disease
I'm coming for you
So take your last breath
The more I kill, the more the need grows
I dislodge the eyes and hack off the nose

CHORUS
I'm a sadistic sinner
I will slash you at will
It is the devil inside me
Who makes me wanna kill

I'm
Sadistic
Sinner
I'll kill you slow, I'll kill you fast
I'm coming for you, I'll kick your *ss"
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:41 pm

^ yeah that's the song that sealed the deal for me. I mean...I can kind of understand this deranged first person take doesn't mean its what the band approves of...and no one's denying the character IS in fact a sadistic sinner controlled by the devil...but this is like slasher/horror stuff. No thanks.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:46 pm

Friday13th wrote: No thanks.
+1
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:47 pm

(Kind of joking) but that post coming from someone named Friday13th lol Very Happy
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next