The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does metal take itself too seriously at times?

+3
Friday13th
d@v!d
WildWorld
7 posters

Go down

Does metal take itself too seriously at times? Empty Does metal take itself too seriously at times?

Post by WildWorld Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:50 pm

Controversial topic i know, but does anyone think that some metal bands (Christian and secular alike) take themselves a bit too seriously? There are several acts out there who think that everything they do is some great, deep, meaningful work of genius, which has to be taken seriously . While its fine to admire your work, there is such a thing as getting too wrapped up in yourselves. Compare that to punk rock. Every punk act i've listened to at least has somewhat of a sense of humor, either in their videos, or their lyrics, or even on the album covers, which prevents them from getting too serious. Im not referring to EVERY metal act out there of course, nor am i going to name names, but it is somewhat of a problem.

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Does metal take itself too seriously at times? Empty Re: Does metal take itself too seriously at times?

Post by d@v!d Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:57 pm

WildWorld wrote:Controversial topic i know, but does anyone think that some metal bands (Christian and secular alike) take themselves a bit too seriously? There are several acts out there who think that everything they do is some great, deep, meaningful work of genius, which has to be taken seriously . While its fine to admire your work, there is such a thing as getting too wrapped up in yourselves. Compare that to punk rock. Every punk act i've listened to at least has somewhat of a sense of humor, either in their videos, or their lyrics, or even on the album covers, which prevents them from getting too serious. Im not referring to EVERY metal act out there of course, nor am i going to name names, but it is somewhat of a problem.
Yes.
I'm not sure why but I think that it has to do with the stoner culture roots. In that culture things are deep and serious.
Part of the punk ethos is self deprecation. So, it's expected to see a more humorous take on things.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Does metal take itself too seriously at times? Empty Re: Does metal take itself too seriously at times?

Post by Friday13th Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:08 pm

If the music sucks then yeah, they should have turned it into a joke instead. Comedic music usually wears off quickly for me, though some bands do a great job at compartmentalizing their serious and silly music (like Theocracy). If being "too serious" alone is a criticism, I disagree though. Life obviously is both, but not every band or every source of media has to be it all. I get my kicks from comedy shows and daily conversations, and as a pretty introspective guy I prefer my "serious" art from music. I guess that's just how my tastes panned out.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:59 am

No.

Metal bands need to take their music MORE seriously.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by elManique Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:22 am

WildWorld wrote:Controversial topic i know, but does anyone think that some metal bands (Christian and secular alike) take themselves a bit too seriously?

I don't think it's controversial, metal obviously takes itself more seriously than most other forms of music.  Studies show that metal and classical listeners tend to be introspective and melodramatic, whereas rock listeners are more outgoing.  Punk is probably in the middle.  Plenty of exceptions of course.
elManique
elManique
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by bjorn agin Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:24 pm

Sometimes I think metal fans take their music too seriously. The whole "Death to false metal" thought line comes to mind. My thought on that - "Whatever. It's music"
bjorn agin
bjorn agin
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Machine Fish Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:15 pm

I think fans need to chill the heck down about what metal is. It's music and completely subjective to the listener's listening enjoyment. On the flip side, I think bands should take their craft seriously insofar as writing and playing the music.
Machine Fish
Machine Fish
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://linktr.ee/nathanKmcwilliams

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:20 pm

Life takes itself too seriously at times.  Metal helps me chill.  Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Machine Fish Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:23 pm

Neal Morse Code wrote:Life takes itself too seriously at times.  Metal helps me chill.  Very Happy
Truer words have never been spoken!  Metal 2
Machine Fish
Machine Fish
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://linktr.ee/nathanKmcwilliams

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:22 pm

Metal 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down