Cars

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Cars

Post by Driven on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:50 pm

Kerrick wrote:
Driven wrote:All this time later. In July 2016, I picked up the red Jetta diesel that's currently visible in my profile pic. The engine has run great, but just about everything around it has issues… still runs alright, though.

Ah dang, I'm sorry to hear that it's been a bit of a lemon.  Are the issues just stuff like A/C, power windows, and the like?  Or like suspension, transmission, and the more expensive stuff?  My Stratus has actually been a pretty easy car to work on myself, though I imagine the higher performance cars like yours might prove slightly more difficult to do much work on oneself.

Deep breath… Front suspension, rear bearings, windshield wiper assembly, seized brakes on occasion, windshield wiper fluid (to be fixed), A/C (to be fixed), cabin fan motor (also to be fixed). That's the repairs; it's had maintenance which has been a pain on its own but at least it's not breakage. I've had in a year and a half. It currently has 166k miles, I got it at 146k. The repairs aren't the worst to do, but due to it being a German car, it's a bit of a pain. That, and it's even worse when winter strikes. I'm too cheap to take it to a garage, but it's too cold to work outside.
Driven
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://danielbandfan.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:50 pm

Oh my!  Dang, that is a lot of work indeed.  :/  On the plus side, you're getting great experience!  And as an engineer, be sure to mention those things in interviews.  Smile

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Driven on Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:14 pm

Kerrick wrote:Oh my!  Dang, that is a lot of work indeed.  :/  On the plus side, you're getting great experience!  And as an engineer, be sure to mention those things in interviews.  Smile

It's a bit less relevant to the average civil engineer, but I'll keep that in mind. Smile
Driven
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:24 pm

True, but it doesn't hurt!

Well so far only one reply to my Stratus on Craigslist and it was very obviously a scammer.  Sigh...  I posted it just now on Facebook's "marketplace" so maybe I'll get some luck there.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/171712010101864

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain on Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:47 am

I'm currently looking for a first car for my daughter. Not enjoying it.
deathisgain
Metal Slacker

http://www.deathisgain.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla on Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:39 pm

deathisgain wrote:I'm currently looking for a first car for my daughter. Not enjoying it.
Yeah I went thru this in July and it was incredibly stressful for me (not my wife and daughter though!). We found exactly what we wanted from a VW dealer in Ocala, FL (which is about 4 and a half hours from where we live). So we worked out the whole deal over the phone and internet. It was super, super EASY to do. I was already pre-approved from my credit union so there was no haggling with the dealer or the finance sharks there. When we first started looking for the car I told them I will pay "X" amount of dollars and NOT A PENNY MORE PERIOD! They said "Ok" and the price was NEVER brought up again, I got it for what I wanted.

We woke up and hit the road around 5AM and drove down there, got there before lunch and was in and out of the dealership and headed home within 30 minutes. But the whole process caused me a migraine to the point that I could not drive (we had 2 cars, ours and the one we just bought). A monsoon came down before we left Ocala (it was sunny when we arrived and within 30 minutes it was a downpour). We drove in rain all the way back.... But my migraine was so bad I had to stop at a rest area for a while. I was unable to drive so we made the decision to let my wife drive the car I was driving and I would ride shotgun with my daughter in her car and let her drive on the interstate. It was exciting for HER because we don't have interstates in Panama City. So she got to drive on I-10 in the rain. I told her not to change lanes unless she absolutey had to. She did wonderful and had already passed driver's ed anyway.

Now that the "newness" has worn off (for me anyway) it wasn't that big of a deal but I am glad it's over. Occassionally she will say "Remember when we got my car? That was awesome!" and I reply "No it wasn't I hated it". "You hate my car?.... No, I love the car but I hated driving for a total of 10 hours to spend "X" amount of dollars all in the same day".

Last edited by MikeInFla on Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:55 pm

Wow Mike, that is quite the car-buying experience!  I'm glad you guys got home safe and sound.

deathisgain wrote:I'm currently looking for a first car for my daughter. Not enjoying it.

You know what the perfect car would be?  A 2000 Dodge Stratus.  Pro tip: buy from someone in California where there isn't snow and salt to rust out the bottom.   Twisted Evil

On a related note, dealing with scams and people totally low-balling is quite frustrating.  Sigh...

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:08 pm

Ah this is a bitter-sweet day for me on the car-front.  I sold my first car: a 1965 Mustang Fastback.  I'll miss it but it went to a good home where it'll get restored properly and treated well.  Smile  Plus, I sold it for a good price which will help us down the road with a down payment - God willing we're ever able to buy a home.  Also, someone's interested in my Stratus so HOPEFULLY they'll buy it and that'll be dealt with too!

EDIT: Wahoo!  Stratus is sold now too!

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd on Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:15 am

Kerrick wrote:.I sold my first car: a 1965 Mustang Fastback.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
crucifyd
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://www.crucifyd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by exo on Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:11 am

Ok, we really, seriously need to figure out if we can get a “like” button for CMR.

I hate car shopping.

I hate dealing with car maintenance.....but i’ve done a COMPLETE front end rebuild on a 07 Pontiac G5 (aka Chevy Cobalt), plus rear suspension.....and honestly, it WASN’T that big of a deal thanks to modular bolt in parts and Amazon.com.

I don’t even have a paved driveway (yeah, gravel sucks a lot of the time) or garage....

The truly unfortunate thing is that roughly a year/10k miles after the suspension rebuild, the timing chain cover shattered in a crazy way, threw shards under the chain itself, caused it to jump teeth on the gear, and viola, the valves became intimately acquainted with the pistons.  Sold it to a high school friend for salvage costs, he rebuilt the top end for about $1k, and his 16 year old has his first car.....if I only had a garage, I would have figured that out myself, but alas.....

The 07 GM “i’m EASY to fix, but dear God, will there be a lot of fixing over the vehicle’s lifetime” G5 ha since been replaced by a ‘10 Kia Soul....and despite it feeling slightly underpowered, I absolutely LOVE it. SO MUCH interior space......love it enough that were I to win a lottery jackpot, I’d have several of them, as new as possible, with all the options....

The only real drawback is it’s honestly got terrible fuel economy for what is considered a “compact hatchback”...but given that my other vehicle is a 2000 Dodge 15 passenger van, i’ll take the 22/25 MPG my almost decade old Kia gives me.....

"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:49 pm

The only real drawback is it’s honestly got terrible fuel economy for what is considered a “compact hatchback”...but given that my other vehicle is a 2000 Dodge 15 passenger van, i’ll take the 22/25 MPG my almost decade old Kia gives me.....

Seriously?  My 2017 Nissan Frontier pickup gets that kind of mileage!  A car should be much better!
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by exo on Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:45 pm

alldatndensum wrote:

Seriously?  My 2017 Nissan Frontier pickup gets that kind of mileage!  A car should be much better!

That’s actually the same “city” mpg the Pontiac  it replaced got, also a 4 cylinder.  Part of the problem with the fuel mileage is that both  of the vehicles  only have a 4 speed automatic. The “highway”mileage is terrible because it those speeds, the Soul offers slightly less wind resistance than a brick wall.  It’s not aerodynamic in the slightest.

I’ll guarantee the engine and drivetrain tech in your pickup is of a significantly higher level.

"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Driven on Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:29 pm

My ex's mom has a Kia Soul. Woefully underpowered. She bought it to replace an older Rondo, which was handed down to her daughter. That thing pulled faster, despite being older and bigger.

If it's highway economy you're after, get a diesel. Wink
Driven
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom on Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:29 pm

exo wrote:Ok, we really, seriously need to figure out if we can get a “like” button for CMR.

oldschooldoom
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:09 am

I hate dealing with car maintenance.....but i’ve done a COMPLETE front end rebuild on a 07 Pontiac G5 (aka Chevy Cobalt), plus rear suspension.....and honestly, it WASN’T that big of a deal thanks to modular bolt in parts and Amazon.com.

I also hate dealing with maintenance.  Fortunately, I work at a high school that still has vocational education.  So, I get our auto mechanics class to work on things when I need it.  I've had sensors replaced, breaks redone, standard oil changes, and an A.C. fixed.  I have to buy parts, but the teacher and students do the work for free.  Sure, there are risks of it not being done right, but they will redo anything also for free.

So far, I have been pretty satisfied with free labor on my past vehicles.  Right now, all they are doing to our 2016 Kia Sorento and 2017 Nissan Frontier are oil changes.  I just hate to pay for such a thing and dislike doing them myself.
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Driven on Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:31 am

I wouldn't mind free labour. I have a few things to get fixed on my car, including a brake that seizes up pretty badly sometimes, usually when I brake a lot. I've been relying a lot on engine braking lately (go manuals) and it's helped, but I still need that fixed. It being Easter weekend doesn't help, of course...
Driven
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom on Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:50 am

Took some pride in my old (2003) Santa Fe yesterday. Shod it with new tires and treated it to a detailing. Just showing appreciation for it being faithful to me. Nothing like a paid off vehicle that keeps going and going and...
oldschooldoom
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Blake on Tue May 15, 2018 9:18 am

Kerrick wrote:Time to resurrect a very old thread!  

Kerrick wrote:I am currently in the market for a new car.  Cool   Been saving up for a while now and I finally have enough to get me something decent.  I've been driving a 2000 Dodge Stratus for the past few years and it's FINALLY time for a change.

Ha, well THREE YEARS LATER, it finally happened!  Yesterday Veronika and I purchased a 2010 Subaru Forester.  For being eight years old, it has an incredibly low amount of miles: 50k.  Because it's an older model, we were able to afford getting the nicer version with a turbo-charged engine, giant moon-roof, and heated seats!  We've been driving that Stratus for years and it's pretty decrepit so this is a huge step up for us!  We're stoked.   sunny
Congrats. Subarus are great cars. We have a 2006 Impreza Wagon and its great.

My car situation has changed since my last post in this thread in 2015. That 2014 Sonic was totaled and I now drive my wifes old 2005 Toyota Corolla, which is a bit of a boring car. 

I never mentioned my first car, that was a 1988 Dodge Dakota, drove it for 6 years until the driveshaft fell out.

My dream car though was a 1968 Cadillac Hearse, which last December I was finally able to find a decent one. Its not exactly great on mileage though. It gets probably less than 8 MPG, and I use 91 octane, 0 ethanol gas in it, so its expensive to drive. Take about $50 to fill up. The thing weighs about 8000 pounds so it takes alot of fuel to move the thing. 

Blake
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://reanimatedradio.com

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude on Tue May 15, 2018 6:22 pm

oldschooldoom wrote:Took some pride in my old (2003) Santa Fe yesterday. Shod it with new tires and treated it to a detailing. Just showing appreciation for it being faithful to me. Nothing like a paid off vehicle that keeps going and going and...

Amen to that. I haven't been without a payment for about six years now. I've become addicted to new car smell. I just bought two more new ones last month.
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Blake on Wed May 16, 2018 10:07 am

metaldude wrote:
oldschooldoom wrote:Took some pride in my old (2003) Santa Fe yesterday. Shod it with new tires and treated it to a detailing. Just showing appreciation for it being faithful to me. Nothing like a paid off vehicle that keeps going and going and...

Amen to that. I haven't been without a payment for about six years now. I've become addicted to new car smell. I just bought two more new ones last month.
I like old car smell better than new car smell. Something about the musky smell of an old car, maybe its the vinyl seats.
Blake
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://reanimatedradio.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum