Four Star Revival

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Four Star Revival

Post by Kerrick on Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:03 pm

^I've had the same thoughts actually.  I would like to read/listen to the lyrics of that entire song to see if there may be more to it than just that: what's the context of the rest of the song, etc.

Through The Dark Radio wrote:Yep, he's so mean, he grimaces whenever he isn't listening to DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! Twisted Evil
Kerrick
Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:39 pm

As best I can tell from repeated listenings, here are the lyrics to the song "Hold On" by Four Star Revival:

All todays are just yesterdays' tomorrow
All our life we've been wasting away
I pray to God He saves us from this sorrow
Sail on, sail on, just sail away

Follow your heart, follow your mind
Just be yourself, don't fall in line
The grass it withers, and the flowers they fade

These castle walls they protect us and our freedom
The day will come when they take it away
We all are one, yeah, we're all created equal
Live now, live free, sail away

Follow your heart, follow your mind
Just be yourself, don't fall in line
The grass it withers, and the flowers they fade

Hold on, hold on,
Hold on to the things that you believe
Hold on, hold on,
The promise of His love will set you free

All todays are just yesterdays' tomorrow
All our life we've been wasting away
I pray to God He saves us from this sorrow
Sail on, sail on, just sail away

Hold on, hold on,
Hold on, hold on,

Hold on, hold on,
Hold on, hold on,

I don't know the full context of that song, of course, but I do take a bit of an issue with "follow your heart" as that is soundly unbiblical. However, this song does also say "the grass it withers and the flower they fade" which is taken from Isaiah 40:8, which talks about the Word of God being eternal and unchanging.

I think there's room for interpretation here, but I think the overall message of the song falls into the "believe God, His Word, and His love for you, no matter what else is happening in your life." 

Just my $.02

What do you guys think?

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessrox on Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:22 pm

se7enty6ix wrote:This is a great album! Looked it up after I read the review on AW, and was pleased. The CD is still listed as back-ordered on CD Baby, though. Is there any other place to order one right now?

(And for those who have the CD: are there liner notes, booklet, etc? Or are we just talking about a slipcover? I'd like to own it, but I don't know if I can justify dropping $13 for something I already paid $9 to get...)
I picked mine up from the record comp. Aztek records, because cd baby was down. Fast shipping. Had it in like three days. Killer album, worth every dime.
Jessrox
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessrox on Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:53 pm

I agree. However there is nothing wrong with follow your heart. imo. My heart told me my whole life that I should turn my life over to God. And by following my heart...... I was healed delivered and set free! Me and my WHOLE family. This is what follow your heart is referring to. Do what is right and good. Don't worry about what the world and what others say or do, follow your heart and go after the one who can set you free with the promise of his love! Ummm...that would be Jesus. Excellent lyrics.
Jessrox
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:03 pm

Well said.  One could argue that through the Holy Spirit, our hearts (as Christians) should be aligned with that of God.  So in a sense, following "our" hearts IS following God's heart.

Through The Dark Radio wrote:Yep, he's so mean, he grimaces whenever he isn't listening to DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! Twisted Evil
Kerrick
Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Roxx on Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:19 pm

We just got some of them in stock at Christian Metal Distro in case anyone is looking for a copy...

http://christianmetaldistro.storenvy.com/products/11829168-four-star-revival-knights-of-the-revival-2014

Last edited by Bill Roxx on Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Bill Roxx
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.roxxproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Candlemass on Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:22 pm

Something about where your treasure is...
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d on Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:22 am

se7enty6ix wrote:As best I can tell from repeated listenings, here are the lyrics to the song "Hold On" by Four Star Revival:

I don't know the full context of that song, of course, but I do take a bit of an issue with "follow your heart" as that is soundly unbiblical. However, this song does also say "the grass it withers and the flower they fade" which is taken from Isaiah 40:8, which talks about the Word of God being eternal and unchanging.

I think there's room for interpretation here, but I think the overall message of the song falls into the "believe God, His Word, and His love for you, no matter what else is happening in your life." 

Just my $.02

What do you guys think?
Thanks. My hearing isn't so good these days. Too many Motorhead shows. Actually, I think 1 is enough to ruin ones hearing. I have a hard time understanding things sung if there is a lot of other noise around it.

I agree with your analysis. I would add that if that's the message of the song then it lacks precision.
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:40 pm

d@v!d wrote:
Before I answer this, i want to say that I'm not stating anything to be overly scrutinous of this band. Really, it's this song and things I've heard from another band recently that have fleshed out this peeve of mine. That is that I find cliche and pseudo truth in the name of truth to be more unsettling than something claiming to be counter to the truth.

It's part of the pre-chorus.
"follow your heart
follow your mind
just be yourself"

I shouldn't need to explain that to you; but for others, to me that sounds dangerously un-biblical.  The setiment that ought to be expressed (although I wouldn't know how to say it poetically) is to follow God's true Word and seek to be like Him.

I understand, and this has been peeve of mine with much that is put out as " christian " metal. A lot of this stuff is just a reflection on churches itself. There has been a big trend that has shifted emphasis on a more " therapeutic " approach to teaching and lyrics, instead of grounded in straight biblical theology. Now, I am not saying metal musicians need to be trained theologians, but I alot of lyrics I hear really make me wonder what their source of inspiration is. Now, before I go off on a tangent let me just say something as a general principle. Most Christians I would assume would see scripture as their sole source of authority. That which shapes their ideas, morals and beliefs. And if you have a band that really, really wants to identify themselves with " christian " music, I believe that the essence of what makes up their art should be dominated by the Word of God. And I am talking about real Christian art, and not Christians who happen to just make art.

...and I am not saying Four Star Revival is one way or another either.
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessrox on Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:14 pm

Four Star Revival ''Nights of the Revival'' rules! Great heavy metal music with a great lyrics and did I mention just straight up killer metal music. Do yourself a favor and bye this cd. Its a home run. Cool
Jessrox
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Benny4SR on Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:44 pm

Hey guys, this is Benny from Four Star Revival. While I appreciate all the kind words about the band, I feel that I should address the controversy surrounding the lyrics to our song Hold On. I think they are being taken out of context. Within that context, the song is about someone that already has a heart and mind focused on Christ (Follow your heart, Follow your mind). And even though others may not share your belief (Just be yourself, Don't fall in line) you can hold on to the word of God. You will notice that the end of that pre-chorus comes from Isaiah 40:8 "The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God stands forever". I apologize for any confusion this may have caused and hope that this clears up any misunderstandings. Rock on brothers!
Benny4SR
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

https://fourstarrevival.fourfour.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Candlemass on Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:00 pm

I really didn't think any explanation is necessary, nor will it satisfy all, there will always be folks who will nitpick Christian lyrics and the motives behind them...
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:18 pm

Benny4SR wrote:Hey guys, this is Benny from Four Star Revival. While I appreciate all the kind words about the band, I feel that I should address the controversy surrounding the lyrics to our song Hold On. I think they are being taken out of context. Within that context, the song is about someone that already has a heart and mind focused on Christ (Follow your heart, Follow your mind). And even though others may not share your belief (Just be yourself, Don't fall in line) you can hold on to the word of God. You will notice that the end of that pre-chorus comes from Isaiah 40:8 "The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God stands forever". I apologize for any confusion this may have caused and hope that this clears up any misunderstandings. Rock on brothers!

Welcome Benny!  It's great to have you!  Thanks for the insight on your lyrics.  Please don't be a stranger in these parts!

Candlemass wrote:I really didn't think any explanation is necessary, nor will it satisfy all, there will always be folks who will nitpick Christian lyrics and the motives behind them...

Sadly... very true...

Kerrick
Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Benny4SR on Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:22 pm

Thanks for the welcome! I'm not a member of any other forums, so I'm sure I'll spend some time here. I know that not everyone will like and/or agree with our lyrics, but just wanted to make sure that our intent was clear on that!
Benny4SR
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:37 am

Benny4SR wrote:Hey guys, this is Benny from Four Star Revival. While I appreciate all the kind words about the band, I feel that I should address the controversy surrounding the lyrics to our song Hold On. I think they are being taken out of context. Within that context, the song is about someone that already has a heart and mind focused on Christ (Follow your heart, Follow your mind). And even though others may not share your belief (Just be yourself, Don't fall in line) you can hold on to the word of God. You will notice that the end of that pre-chorus comes from Isaiah 40:8 "The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God stands forever". I apologize for any confusion this may have caused and hope that this clears up any misunderstandings. Rock on brothers!

Welcome Benny, and thanks for the insight of the song.
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:54 am

Candlemass wrote:I really didn't think any explanation is necessary, nor will it satisfy all, there will always be folks who will nitpick Christian lyrics and the motives behind them...

And this is why message boards need a "Like" button!!!!  Rock on 1
alldatndensum
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:08 pm

Thumbs up  <--- I think that's the closest we've got.  Other forums have like functions... I'll look into whether Forumotion offers that.

Kerrick
Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:11 pm

Benny recently did an interview about Four Star Revival.  Here it is below.  Some good stuff!

Ohio based outfit Four Star Revial are bringing their mix of hard rock and metal to the masses with their new album Knights of the Revival. By the Barricade talked to guitarist Benny Bodine about the band’s new album, the band’s hometown, and their future plans. Check out the full interview below:

By the Barricade: Can you describe Four Star Revival in four words or less?
Benny Bodine: Modern old school.
By the Barricade: It seems like you’re reviving a lot of 80s influences in your music with a modern hard rock twist. How do you find the right balance between hard rock and metal?
Benny Bodine: Honestly we don’t think too much about it. We never really set out to write a certain way, or in a certain style. We just try to write as good of a song as we possibly can and whatever mix of styles and influences that come out will determine where it leads. We don’t like to write the same song over and over again, so we do tend to cover a lot of ground between hard rock and metal within the framework of the band. We like the fact that there are a mix of styles and sounds in our songs.
By the Barricade: Would you consider any artists your “guilty pleasures” who might not be reflected in your music?
Benny Bodine: I’m sure we have plenty of those! We all listen to a pretty wide variety of different styles of music. It’s certainly possible to draw influence from any of that, even though it may not be something that’s immediately discernible in our music.
By the Barricade: Has life for Four Star Revival changed after releasing your first album Knights of the Revival?
Benny Bodine: It has certainly helped more people hear about the band. We’ve received messages from fans from all over the world that have had their lives touched by songs from the album. It really seems to have struck a chord with a lot of people. Especially in Europe. We’ve actually shipped more CD’s to Europe than we have here in the US.
By the Barricade: Can you describe the metal scene in Four Star Revival’s hometown of Ohio?
Benny Bodine: Dayton, Ohio certainly has a thriving metal scene. There is actually more of a scene here now than there has been in the past. In the past, it was the bigger Ohio cities like Columbus and Cincinnati that always had the happening scenes, but the metal scene in Dayton is not only thriving, but growing as well.
By the Barricade: Our site is based in California. Are there any other Ohio local bands that you would recommend to our readers?
Benny Bodine: Engine of Chaos, Letters to the Blind, Beauty From Ashes, Forces of Nature, War of Change, The Mighty Swine, and Mayfly are all bands to check out. Those are some of the best bands Ohio has to offer.
By the Barricade: My favorite track off Knights of the Revival is “Perfect Life”. Can you expand on that song and its lyrics?
Benny Bodine: “Perfect Life” is almost a battle hymn. It’s about staying focused on what’s right, even when it seems like the world is waging war against you. Keeping your eyes on the prize and forging ahead no matter who or what may be trying to hold you back. I think that’s something we can all relate to in this day and age.
By the Barricade: Each member has come together from other projects. What musical aspects do you bring to Four Star Revival from your past musical endeavors?
Benny Bodine: In most of the other projects I’ve been involved with, I was the primary music writer. I don’t really like to repeat the things that I’ve done before, so I really strive to make each project different in some way. With this band, everybody has input into the songs and that helps to keep the ideas fresh.
By the Barricade: Has having religion as a backbone in your music presented any challenges or surprises fans may not be aware of?
Benny Bodine: The only challenge is that sometimes people see that we’re labeled as a Christian band and then don’t even give it a chance. This music is for everybody. You don’t have to be a Christian to listen to it. Our songs are about real life situations that we all go through every day. But it’s not just all doom and gloom. There is an underlying message of hope through all of it.
By the Barricade: Is there anything else you would like to say to the readers of By the Barricade?
Benny Bodine: If you always wished that there was a band out there today that mixed that early 80’s metal sound with a modern approach, with heavy guitars and a singer that actually sings, then Four Star Revival is for you!

Kerrick
Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor_Valconian on Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:26 pm

+1 for singers who actually sing
Professor_Valconian
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Location : In a meeting of the Society who puts things on top of other things

Back to top Go down

Cool like button for the forum!

Post by MetalForJesus on Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:00 am

Think this would be a cool like button for us to use:

MetalForJesus
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://www.metalforjesus.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor_Valconian on Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:26 pm

Finally picked up this album. Listening right now. It cranks. If you don't own it ... go buy it right now.

Rockin Loud
Professor_Valconian
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude on Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:50 am

^^ Same here.  Picked it up about a week ago. Excellent album.
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Benny4SR on Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:39 pm

Thanks guys! That is greatly appreciated! I'm curious though, what are your favorite songs from the album?
Benny4SR
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude on Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:09 pm

So far, I would say Faith, Shine, Save Me, and of course Red (love the riff in the middle).
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:20 pm

Fade is definitely my favorite, though I also particularly enjoy Let Love and Perfect Life.

Kerrick
Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Benny4SR on Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:45 pm

That's awesome! 2 completely different sets of favorites! Thanks guys!
Benny4SR
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:54 pm

It's always a good sign when a band doesn't have unanimously best or worst songs.  It means their music is creative, dynamic, and unique enough to affect people differently!

Kerrick
Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:43 pm

I was playing this today and it just melts my face.  Does anybody else wish that the singer also was the frontman for The Brave?  I like the new female vocalist, but this dude could have nailed it.
alldatndensum
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor_Valconian on Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:12 pm

Benny4SR wrote:Thanks guys! That is greatly appreciated! I'm curious though, what are your favorite songs from the album?

I've got to say there is not a weak song on this disc.

If I had to pick, at the moment my favorites are: Perfect Life, Broken Man, Fade

Superlatives of this album in no particular order:
> A band (and musician) who has mastered what seems like the vanishing art of the guitar solo ... and its use in virtually every song. Rock on.
> A completely top notch vocalist. This guy can hang with the best of them.
> Really really solid songwriting.
> Melody and hooks galore.
> Lyrics which unashamedly point people to what should be our reason for living ... the name above all names, Jesus Christ.
> Old school metal sound.

I hope they go on to make lots more music.
Professor_Valconian
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Benny4SR on Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:32 pm

Wow! Thanks guys! We really appreciate all the positive feedback! I'll share it with the boys tomorrow!
Benny4SR
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor_Valconian on Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:09 pm

OK. Today my favorites are ...

> Red
> Faith
> Hold On
> Somewhere To Run To

I can't help but think if this album had been released in 1987 or 88 these guys would have been HUGE. Maybe they still will be Very Happy   Here's hoping.
Professor_Valconian
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Benny4SR on Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:13 pm

Awesome! Thanks brother!
Benny4SR
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Benny4SR on Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:02 pm

Professor_Valconian wrote:
Benny4SR wrote:Thanks guys! That is greatly appreciated! I'm curious though, what are your favorite songs from the album?

I've got to say there is not a weak song on this disc.

If I had to pick, at the moment my favorites are: Perfect Life, Broken Man, Fade

Superlatives of this album in no particular order:
> A band (and musician) who has mastered what seems like the vanishing art of the guitar solo ... and its use in virtually every song. Rock on.
> A completely top notch vocalist. This guy can hang with the best of them.
> Really really solid songwriting.
> Melody and hooks galore.
> Lyrics which unashamedly point people to what should be our reason for living ... the name above all names, Jesus Christ.
> Old school metal sound.

I hope they go on to make lots more music.

I really appreciate your assessment of the album! Looking back at this I think I missed your comment about guitar solos. I'm not sure if I've mastered anything, but it does seem that most songs anymore either have full on shredding, or little to no guitar solos to speak of. I'm definitely not a shredder. I always try to make my solos a part of the song. Kind of like an extension to the melody, if that makes any sense. That being said, they are not always as noticeable. Which is fine with me, because the song itself is really more important. Doesn't matter how good the guitar solo is, if the song itself isn't any good. Do you think people are really into guitar solos anymore, if they are not shred fests? Just curious. This may warrant a new topic.
Benny4SR
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider on Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:01 pm

Favorite song is Somewhere to Run to. I'm a sucker for a buildup from the basic strumming with vox to crescendo. There are no weak songs and this old rocker loves guitar solos.
Black Rider
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Benny4SR on Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:35 pm

Black Rider wrote:Favorite song is Somewhere to Run to. I'm a sucker for a buildup from the basic strumming with vox to crescendo. There are no weak songs and this old rocker loves guitar solos.

Thanks brother! I'm really surprised we haven't had more traction with Somewhere To Run To. I thought that song had more radio potential than some of the others. Fade has kind of been the sleeper out of the bunch. More people seem to like that one than I would have thought.
Benny4SR
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:04 pm

^Fade is my favorite song by a long shot!  Love it.

Kerrick
Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider on Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:15 pm

Fade has a Dio feel imo.
Black Rider
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Benny4SR on Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:35 pm

Kerrick wrote:^Fade is my favorite song by a long shot!  Love it.
Thanks brother! I like how the solos turned out on that one. They're the only ones I didn't have worked out beforehand. Truthfully, I had been struggling coming up with a solo that I liked on that song and once we were in the studio it was no different. I just couldn't make it work. So once I figured out what I was trying to do wouldn't work, I had them roll it one more time and just went for it, completely off the cuff. And that's what ended up on the album. The outro solo was done in a similar fashion. When we originally wrote the song, it had an actual ending. We didn't decide to do the fade out until we were in there recording it. We scrapped the ending we had, and just played the chord progression for a bit at the end to leave room for the fade. So I thought "I'll do another short solo at the end!". But I didn't have anything worked out because we hadn't been playing it with a solo there, so once again I just went for it and thankfully it turned out decent! Not sure if anyone cares about those kind of details, but there it is! Lol!
Benny4SR
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Benny4SR on Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:44 pm

Black Rider wrote:Fade has a Dio feel imo.

Certainly some Dio influence in there!
Benny4SR
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite on Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:27 pm

Fade is one of my favorites as well (along with Red and Faith).  But as other's have said there isn't a bad song on the album.
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:30 pm

Staybrite wrote:But as other's have said there isn't a bad song on the album.

Correct!  afro

Kerrick
Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Benny4SR on Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:00 am

Staybrite wrote:Fade is one of my favorites as well (along with Red and Faith).  But as other's have said there isn't a bad song on the album.
Thanks brother! We really appreciate that! Hopefully we can continue that sentiment with the next album!
Benny4SR
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Candlemass on Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:57 am

You guys stink! (woe to you when all men speak well of you.)

Just trying to help out...
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Benny4SR on Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:26 am

Candlemass wrote:You guys stink! (woe to you when all men speak well of you.)

Just trying to help out...

lol! We need all the help we can get! There was someone earlier in this thread that said they didn't like the album though!
Benny4SR
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Benny4SR on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:25 pm

Here's the latest review for "Knights of the Revival" from Dedicated Rocker Society Music Magazine!

http://thededicatedrockersociety.blogspot.com/2015/06/cd-review-knights-of-revival-by-four.html
Benny4SR
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:53 pm

Benny4SR wrote:There was someone earlier in this thread that said they didn't like the album though!

metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Benny4SR on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:17 pm

lol! Rolf 1 ^That's hilarious!
Benny4SR
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor_Valconian on Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:48 am

Benny4SR wrote:Here's the latest review for "Knights of the Revival" from Dedicated Rocker Society Music Magazine!

http://thededicatedrockersociety.blogspot.com/2015/06/cd-review-knights-of-revival-by-four.html

Wonder if the reviewer is a Christian. If not, the following quote is very insightful ... and should be convicting for those whose intent is to create "Christian music" (I will let each musician or group of musicians determine whether or not that includes them).

"Four Star Revival is committed to the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ, a message that rings loudly throughout their new album. The cross stands at the center of the lyrical content - an emphasis that is missing in a lot of Christian music these days."
Professor_Valconian
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor_Valconian on Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:22 am

Benny4SR wrote:I always try to make my solos a part of the song. Kind of like an extension to the melody, if that makes any sense. That being said, they are not always as noticeable. Which is fine with me, because the song itself is really more important. Doesn't matter how good the guitar solo is, if the song itself isn't any good. Do you think people are really into guitar solos anymore, if they are not shred fests? Just curious. This may warrant a new topic.

What you said makes perfect sense, and you have clearly achieved your goal on Knights of the Revival.

Regarding guitar solos, my preference is that hard rock/metal should ideally be guitar driven ... meaning that if at some point in the song the guitar does not take center stage (even if only for a short time), then an opportunity has been lost. I don't think metal needs to be dominated by shredding, but I really do pay attention to and look forward to examples of tasty riffing. I look for the same thing (though in a different style) when I listen to blues. I gravitate to bands ... and songs, that contain a clear demonstration of that kind of talent. Acts like Pink Floyd (David Gilmour), Gary Moore, Buddy Guy, Eric Johnson, Van Halen, Dokken (George Lynch), Whitecross (Rex Carroll), Guardian (Tony Palacios) to name only a few. I think you find this clear leaning in 80's metal, but a lot less so today. Not every song needs to feature sick guitar skills, but when none of them do, it's kind of a bummer.

Hard rock/metal as a showcase for the guitar reminds me of the lyrics from Rush's epic 2112 album ...

What can this strange device be?
When I touch it, it gives forth a sound
It's got wires that vibrate and give music
What can this thing be that I found?

See how it sings like a sad heart
And joyously screams out its pain
Sounds that build high like a mountain
Or notes that fall gently like rain

I can't wait to share this new wonder
The people will all see its light
Let them all make their own music
The Priests praise my name on this night
Professor_Valconian
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Benny4SR on Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:30 pm

Professor_Valconian wrote:
Benny4SR wrote:Here's the latest review for "Knights of the Revival" from Dedicated Rocker Society Music Magazine!

Wonder if the reviewer is a Christian. If not, the following quote is very insightful ... and should be convicting for those whose intent is to create "Christian music" (I will let each musician or group of musicians determine whether or not that includes them).

"Four Star Revival is committed to the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ, a message that rings loudly throughout their new album. The cross stands at the center of the lyrical content - an emphasis that is missing in a lot of Christian music these days."

I don't know if the reviewer is a Christian or not, but the Dedicated Rocker Society Music Magazine is not a Christian based review source. They cover pretty much any style and genre of music. I thought it was pretty cool that they pointed to the message being clear.
Benny4SR
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: