Metalheads who Hike

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Metalheads who Hike

Post by Grindboy on Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:13 pm

Kerrick told me to make this thread.

Basically the two boards that I ever post on are here and a hiking board.  I'm guessing there aren't a lot more people here who love to hike than there are there that love metal, but we'll give it a shot.

I've only been at it for about 3 years, but I'm borderline obsessed.  I've hiked basically every noteworthy (or course depending on your definition of "noteworthy" trailed peak and feature in New Hampshire, as well as a few in Maine.  Anybody else hike up in here?  Or wherever you live?  Or particular spots on vacation?  Anybody ever hike the AT or PCT (I have no interest in trying these, but I do find them fascinating)?  Any particular place you'd fantasize about going?

Outside of NH, my "bucket list" would probably be Kathadin in Maine, Half-Dome in Yosemite, anything at all in Glacier NP, and of course Mt Whitney would be awesome.  And maybe a Grand Canyon rim-to-rim just for the experience.

Who else, anyone anything?  Show off your favorite pictures, stories, accomplishments, hopes and dreams?  I could talk trails with you all day!!!

Grindboy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Re: Metalheads who Hike

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:16 pm

Last year, my dad's family took a vacation to Smokies National Park. We hiked...one trail. A very short one. But following a very nice stream with a little waterfall at the end.

At the visitor center I bought a pocket-sized book with all the trails; a lot looked highly fascinating, not only for the nature but also for the history, as that area used to be populated.

But everyone else was either too old or too young. Didn't care or wanted to go to Dollywood. We probably won't be going again. Just keep on going to the beach.... Sleepy 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:42 pm

Alright!  Well everyone should always do what I say so good job.  Wink

I already posted some pictures of Half Dome but you mentioned Glacier and I've been there:

My family is hardcore.  Cool

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla on Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:08 pm

When I lived in East Tennessee we hiked ALL the time. We loved to go to Alum Cave Bluffs and Mt LeCont. Went up one time and were not prepared. It started to rain and we lost daylight and ran out of water. But we made it back down and I slept for 15 hours straight. Looking back I was severely dehydrated. Haven't been hiking in years but would love to do it again sometime. We have beaches here so not a lot of hiking to do unless you consider walks on the beach a hike.
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:59 pm

Yesterday I went for a nice little hike by myself in Nisene Marks State Park here in Santa Cruz area.  It was gorgeous.  I snapped a few photos with my phone:

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy on Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:37 pm

I've been to the Smokies a couple of times, but not since I really started hiking.  We went on what was called a hike there once, but it was just a walk in the woods on an old logging road, didn't even climb to anything or see any particular view, and I thought it was pretty weak.  I think they DO have some pretty legit trails though, of course the Appalachian Trail runs through there, and there's Clingman's Dome and I'm sure others.  I never actually went to Dollywood -- dang, I didn't like Gatlinburg.  Tourist town on steriods!

Kerrick, I'm now legitimately jealous that you've both been up Half-Dome and to Glacier.  That's amazing.  We actually had a Glacier trip planned 2 summers ago -- we were going to be in Billings for a family obligation, and it's still like 4 hours away but never would life take us closer, so we planned to take an extra week and have an awesome trip.  Then a couple from church (I'm the pastor) set what would have been that weekend as the date for their wedding.  So "I'm sorry, I can't do it, I'll be hiking" didn't seem like the right thing to do, so we cut the trip shorter and weren't able to make it there at all.  But I've never heard of anybody being disappointed!

Those pics from today are sweet as well, that waterfall is legit!  And I love how everything's so green -- we have unbelievable Falls here, but right now all the grass and trees are dead and grey and ugly, and outside of the high above treeline peaks there's not enough snow to make things white and beautiful yet, or to strap on the shoeshoes.  "Shoulder season" at it's worst.  Plus bad weather tomorrow, so I'm probably going to switch my schedule and try to get out on Tuesday instead, we'll see what it's like up there!

Mike, I looked up Florida's highpoint once -- it's 345 ft., the lowest state highpoint in the nation.  So I get it -- not much to climb!  Walks on the coast can be nice -- but probably even those are different here, with rocky seacliffs, etc. where I think you have more just beach beach beach (but I don't really know).

Grindboy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla on Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:55 pm

Beach and sand is all we have. I went from living in the mountains of Tennessee to living way below sea level!
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter who was Vaak on Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:34 pm

I don't hike much, but two years ago I did a midnight hike of the San Francisco peaks in flagstaff. That was awesome. Nice,  cool and could hear the elk out there.
Peter who was Vaak
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:51 pm

Here's my family on a Thanksgiving Day hike.  We didn't plan for it to be yet again another "King Family Hike" but somehow it did: trailblazing, bushwhacking through thick brush, sliding down steep mountainsides, trespassing, etc.  Haha I love my family.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy on Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:56 pm

Kerrick, you really do get out, don't you?  Love it!  Especially with the family.  My wife likes to go out, but it's tough to make it happen with our schedules, and our kid isn't much for it, so usually it's just me (which I don't mind at all even a little bit, for what it's worth).

Anyway, I wasn't able to get out at all today/this week, but I did manage a reasonable trip last week.  It's ugly "stick season" in the Northeast (actually I think there's decent snow now, but there wasn't yet last week when I went out) so views aren't all that attractive.  I went to some ponds and a waterfalls instead.  It was decent for the circumstances, although it won't go down as overly memorable.   A couple highlights below:

Grindboy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:32 pm

I don't really do what some would constitute hiking.  However, I do hit quite a few trails and some are quite rough.  I go for the geocaching.  Hiking is just the preferred method when you get far enough out that you can no longer drive to the destination.
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy on Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:08 pm

Bump.  Yeah alldat, a lot of hiking and geocaching overlap.  I've never really done it but I know a lot of people do.

Anyway, I managed to get out for a freaking GREAT day yesterday.  Cold(3F when I left my car at the trailhead) but blue skies and shockingly calm winds for the mountains.

Seriously, who wants to spend a couple hours walking through this:

for views of this

and this:

And friends like this:

and this:

The answer may be obvious -- this guy!  I really don't like winter, but being able to enjoy it like THIS sure helps a lot.  Related note -- New Hampshire's a freaking awesome place to be, and I can't believe how lucky I am to be here (some jealously of Kerrick in central CA or anybody in CO, UT, or NW MT notwithstanding)

Grindboy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom on Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:59 pm

I go hiking in Florida all the time
oldschooldoom
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessie G on Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:51 am

Where I live there's not a whole lot of hiking trails but I'm an avid bike rider. We have a real nice flat terrain bike paths and I ride 10 miles a day in the spring, summer and fall. I'm gout thru withdrawal because I can't ride in the winter. Maybe I should take up cross country skiing
Jessie G
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:39 pm

Well, not quite a "hike" but I went on a very nice walk yesterday on the beach in the storm.  It cleared up about halfway into my walk and I was able to get some pretty cool pictures.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:06 pm

Man, there just aren't any beaches like that up here.  We have our own unique charms, of course, but nothing quite like that.

I've had my last couple hike days totally weathered out, and probably won't really make it out now until maybe March 1.  I've had a couple shorter days, but no GREAT days since the last pics I posted from early December.  Going crazy here!

Grindboy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy on Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:39 pm

Bump for pure brag post.

I never thought I'd have this chance, but Sunday I was able to connect with a couple internet friends from another forum and do a winter hike up Mt Washington, which is the highest peak in the Northeast and infamous for bad weather.  I'd NEVER try it in winter by myself (which is how I normally hike), and we had a reasonably good forecast, so we went and got it.  Awesome!

The Climb
[img][/img]

The Main Destination
" />

The side trip
" />

The Triumph (I'm in the middle, like it matters)
" />

The Descent
" />

In all, it really wasn't as extreme of an experience as I was expecting.  We were on pretty gentle trails and had, by local standards, decent conditions.  Great views on the way up and at the "side trip" (Mt Clay), although high clouds rolled in before we made the summit.  That's ok, the summit doesn't have the best views anyway.  Great day!

Grindboy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Wow that is spectacular!  Nicely done.  Those pictures are gorgeous.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom on Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:22 pm

Wiki shows that Mt Washington summit is 6,288 ft. The world's highest windspeed of 231 miles per hour (372 km/h), was recorded there in 1934.
oldschooldoom
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy on Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:04 pm

Thanks Kerrick, it feels weird in a pure brag post, but at least I'll admit that's what this is!

Yes, all that's true oldschool.  To anybody out west 6288 sounds TINY, and compared to Rockies or Sierra Nevada they are, but not nearly to the degree that the numbers would suggest.  They do also claim "world's worst weather" (ad nauseum, in fact), and while that's some hyperbole it truly can be pretty extreme.  In fact last month a climber went out in bad weather (peak gusts at 141 mph on summit) to tragic results.  We watched the weather pretty carefully (there's a summit report at 5:00 every morning), and with air temps above zero and winds sustained at about 35 with peak gusts still under 50, that's pretty good for winter.  We all had appropriate layers, and it really wasn't bad.  So I hope that wasn't the climb of my life, but it might be the most exciting trip of my year!

Grindboy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:19 am

This Saturday I went on a ~14 mile hike with some folks from the 20s/30s church ministry I'm involved in.  We had a blast!  It's a pretty mellow hike (not a lot of elevation change) but there are a couple really pretty waterfalls to see.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy on Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:36 pm

Hey, great bump Kerrick.

You have some seriously crazy waterfalls out in the West.  Ours have their own charm, but for sheer size and "awe" factor, we can't compare. 

I was once a young man like yourself, and if I'd gone on 20's/30's church hike, it would have been for more than one kind of "scenery," though.  So we all see the falls. . . which one (ones?) gave you the "extra" reason to dig out the boots?

I sort of got out today.  It was a junky weather day, and it's back to "shoulder season" here where the warmer temps soften up the snow and make Spring hiking very difficult, plus wherever the snow melts off is brown and ugly for a while yet.  But I beat around the Maine coast for a few hours in between dropping off and picking up my son from school, mostly getting snowed on as it would happen.  I did get a GREAT lunch at a place from "Diners, Dives, and Drive-In's" or whatever though.  Eggs Benedict but with deep-fried cod-cakes instead of ham -- bizarre and hugely tasty!  But that was probably the highlight.  I've been out a couple times since the Washington trip but for shorter mellow days -- not bad, but if I posted EVERY time I went out it would be just too much Grindboy!

Grindboy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:23 am

Man, if you (and Kerrick!) keep posting pictures like you have been, I don't think it would be too much Grindboy. Nature is beautiful in and of itself, but it's really cool seeing and comparing pictures from opposite sides of the country.

I don't do much picture taking, but I love hiking and mountain biking and there are some really pretty areas here in PA and NY where we sometimes go. I'm looking forward to going out west and hiking and biking out there too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy on Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:32 pm

Well thanks Undead, I absolutely didn't make this to be my personal hike thread but I'm glad to hear that (it sounds like) you've enjoyed it some. 

I've never hiked in PA or NY, but one of the guys that I went up Washington with (post above) is in the middle of hiking all of the 4,000 ft peaks in the Adirondaks (he's lived in NH his whole life and has been over most anything worthwhile here a couple times!).  His pics look pretty excellent!

I'll give this one -- it's from a couple weeks ago where I had limited time but it WAS a beautiful day.  This is from what's called Mt Major, which is a HUGELY popular peak here, and I suppose with good reason.  It's a tremendous spot, and a pretty modest hike, so the casual outdoors people and tourists flock to it like the salmon of Capistrano.  Anyway, we'd had a couple inches of fresh snow the night before, so everything looks extra "frosted" and beautiful underneath the nice blue sky.  It's Lake Winnipesaukee in the foreground, with the white tip of Washington poking out to the left of the most prominent mountains if you'll even be able to see without having it blown up and full monitor size.  But pretty awesome in person!

Grindboy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy on Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:09 pm

Bump for Raven, who says he likes hiking!

I've never hiked in Utah, but I know it's a beautiful and varied state.  Ever been to Angels Landing?  Or around where the Aron Ralstin incident took place (was that Canyonlands)?  I know there are good mountains too, where do you go?  Maybe share some pics if you have some?  I could talk for days. . .

Grindboy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:45 pm

Heck yeah! I live in northern/central Utah, so we are less desert and more mountains than the rest of the state. I've been to Canyonlands a few times, but mostly hike up here and in Colorado (where I am originally from).

I'll post some pics in the coming days. Kinda in a hurry right now though. Cool thread!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:17 am

I love to hike, trail run and fast pack. I've been all over the states and in Canada doing this. My favorite places have been the Rockies in Colorado, those gorgeous western North Carolina/ East Tennessee Appalachians and Flagstaff Arizona area, the mountains north of Burlington Vermont. Will be heading to Alaska for some fresh air in May.

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy on Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:45 pm

Spitshockey you're awesome!

I've mostly been hiking only for 4-5 years and almost exclusively in NH.  Have you ever been here?

Despite being relatively nearby, I've only had one day in VT, which was this summer, and was a tremendous day on Mansfield.  I specifically chose it because it promised the best weather that day, but as I climbed (after a 3 hour drive!) it was socked in and I would have been terribly disappointed to climb it for no views.  I popped out above treeline. . . still socked.  Arrived at the summit, ate a sandwich, cursed my luck and the weatherman. . . still socked.  Started down, and all of the sudden saw a valley for about a half of a second.  I stopped, and other spots briefly appeared and disappeared.  And after a few minutes it all blew off (to the W, at least) and visibility went from about 100 feet to over 100 miles in about 10 seconds.  If any of you have ever had that happen, it's really one of the most amazing things that you can see on a hike, it's absolute magic.  Awesome!

Anyway, I used to be something of a runner, but I guess traded that in for hiking, and have never tried trail running (nor do I desire to at this point).  It's pretty popular here though, and dang those cats are nails and do the impossible, it seems to me (and I'm a fairly strong hiker, relatively speaking).  I'm afraid I've never heard of "fast pack."  Nor have I been to Alaska -- would be a bucket list thing for sure, though.  Are you going to Denali?  Park or peak?  The peak would definitely be more than I'll probably ever be able to attempt, but just to be there would be amazing.

Post some of your favorite pics, if you can!

And Raven. . . we're still waiting!

Grindboy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:36 pm

I travel quite a bit with my work (in the real estate field) - so sometimes I like to hike when I'm on business trips! Heheh.

This is from when I was in New Mexico a little while back. I have quite a bit of real estate in New Mexico - so I travel down there quite a bit. These pictures are taken from several different trips. All New Mexico though!

This creek was really fun to play in on a hot New Mexico day! My son and I had a blast!

I ended up exploring this amazing place with HUGE reddish rocks. There were caves and all sorts of fun stuff to discover!!!

Even found this lizard who proved to be quite friendly.

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:42 am

Kerrick wrote:This Saturday I went on a ~14 mile hike with some folks from the 20s/30s church ministry I'm involved in.  We had a blast!  It's a pretty mellow hike (not a lot of elevation change) but there are a couple really pretty waterfalls to see.

That's a lot!

The most I can remember ever walking in one day was 6.7 miles.  That was a geocaching trail that we had to walk.  Me and a buddy walked the whole trail in 105 degree heat.  Also, I weighed 325 lbs. at the time so this was no easy feat!  I was never so tired and dehydrated in all my life.  I practically peed toothpaste I was so dry!  OK, in reality, I was so dry that I could no longer pee or sweat.  That's dangerous.
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:16 pm

This Saturday I I went on a pretty cool hike in Andrew Molera area with my family and aunt + uncle + cousin.  We had a great time though my dad and uncle both got ticks and my girlfriend and mom both got sick from the cold...

Totally worth it though!  (Hahahaha easy for me to say! Twisted Evil )  Here's a view from the trail.

But to get there we had to ford a stream.  You can see by how wet my legs were, it wasn't too shallow - and it was moving at a pretty swift speed too. Trying to be the good boyfriend, I gave Veronika a piggy-back ride across haha (and no, I didn't even drop her!).

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude on Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:13 pm

Some pics from my anniversary getaway in the Oachita Mountains (Oachita National Forest) in Arkansas.

The last one was taken just outside our room. We woke up to that view each morning.
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:06 pm

Shocked Wow those are amazing!!!  That second one looks like there's a cascading waterfall of rain straight from heaven.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d on Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:56 am

Kerrick wrote:Shocked Wow those are amazing!!!  That second one looks like there's a cascading waterfall of rain straight from heaven.
Ditto
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude on Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:30 pm

Kerrick wrote:Shocked Wow those are amazing!!!  That second one looks like there's a cascading waterfall of rain straight from heaven.

It was pretty cool to watch that storm move across the valley. It was a perspective I hadn't had before.
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by nuclearwoods on Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:56 am

I mountain bike, and regular cycling everyday, if that counts.   bounce
nuclearwoods
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:11 pm

Nope, wrong thread, get out of this one!  Wink  Just kidding; have any pictures of where you like to go riding?

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy on Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:39 pm

Excellent necrobump, metaldude.  I have a friend who I hiked with a few times that moved to Arkansas.  He's definitely worked to try to get me to come down and hike around there with him.

Nothing ALL that epic for me lately, but here are a couple highlights of the last six months or so since my last post:

On one of the higher peaks in Maine, along the Appalachian Trail:
" />

Summit in sight on the most hiked peak in the White Mountains here in NH:
" />

My most recent trip, Squam Lake of "On Golden Pond" fame being the nearer lake:
" />

Grindboy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude on Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:54 am

Hiking and canoeing over Labor Day weekend. 

metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:37 pm

Oh man, I am still sore from a family hike for my dad's birthday this past Saturday.  It was great though.  Here's a picture my sister got of my wife, dad, and me:

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Markus1987 on Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:58 am

Kerrick wrote:Yesterday I went for a nice little hike by myself in Nisene Marks State Park here in Santa Cruz area.  It was gorgeous.  I snapped a few photos with my phone:

Beautiful pictures, Kerrick.

To be honest, I've never been at a hike. But I do have plans for doing one.
Markus1987
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:35 pm

Thanks Markus!

Never been hiking?  I would imagine Finland has some awesome places you could go for your first hike!

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Fearless For The King on Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:16 pm

I'm always hiking around NY. My most recent was along side Lake George, I hiked from Shelving Rock Falls to Pilot Knob, right along the lake. I'm hiking and biking whenever I can, I live on the Mohawk so I'm walking along and in the river a lot as well.
Fearless For The King
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:10 pm

Right on!  (Pictures or it didn't happen!  Razz)

I'm looking forward to our trip in a couple weeks to the White Mountains.  My wife and I are pretty out of shape though so we'll see just how severely our hikes kick our butts hahaha.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Fearless For The King on Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:50 am

The only pic I have on my phone is from a bike ride I took on a paved trail along the Mohawk... BUT it does contain my 3 speed chopper:
Fearless For The King
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Fearless For The King on Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:51 am

I guess that didn't come out right lol.
Fearless For The King
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Fearless For The King on Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:02 am

I tried flipping it... I can't figure out how!
Fearless For The King
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude on Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:56 am

Fearless For The King wrote:I tried flipping it... I can't figure out how!

Looks like you already did.  Razz
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Fearless For The King on Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:02 am

metaldude wrote:
Fearless For The King wrote:I tried flipping it... I can't figure out how!

Looks like you already did.  Razz
I guess I did.  lol!
Fearless For The King
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:04 pm

Alright!  Sorry [Grindboy] for the delay in photos from our New Hampshire trip.  My wife and I had a delightful time celebrating our first anniversary in the mountains of New Hampshire.  And again, for anyone who is considering going there, Grindboy is your guy for hiking recommendations.  Seriously.  He wrote us pages and pages of recommendations, pros/cons to each hike, elevation gain, peak height, mileage... you name it.  We were so fortunate to have access to such great information.  On to the pictures.

Our first day we got off to a late start and it was due to rain later in the day so Grindboy recommended us a nice short little hike which was just right.  We hiked to Mt. Pemigewasset.  This is what the trail looked like:

And here's the top:

However, the trail actually makes more of a "U" shape than loop and we ended up walking the wrong way along the highway for a bit... and then it started to rain haha.  We got pretty drenched but a nice guy from New York with two old dogs picked us up and gave us a ride to our car which was nice.

Here's a view from our hotel.  We got a super deal on the trip - basically free lodging - but we had to listen to a sales-pitch to try to sell us a timeshare.  We declined.  The resort they were trying to sell was really quite luxurious, though the hotel they put us in was quite funky and not one we'd recommend.  Regardless, it had pretty views.

It was actually raining off-and-on for the majority of our trip, but the next day was clear skies throughout its entirety: perfect for our one big hike.  We chose one of Grindboy's recommendations to hike to the top of Mt. Lafayette which was pretty spectacular.  It was ~8.9 miles (of mostly very steep ascending/descending) and 3850 feet elevation gain.  But oh so worth it!

Most of the trail looked like this:

Here's from the top, looking down along the ridgeline.  This portion is actually a part of the Appalachian Trail which is pretty cool.

And who let this funny looking guy up there (sporting his The Slave Eye shirt)?

This is where we came from (and where we were headed back down).

At this point, we needed to hurry down because we still had a long ways to go and not an endless amount of sunlight.  But we made it, just before dark.  Our car was all alone haha; everyone else had left already.  The next day we spent a fair bit of time driving to Mt. Washington but due to weather, the visibility was very poor so we didn't end up going to the top.  We went on a short little walk on Lost Pond Trail and found the lost pond!  Razz Rolling Eyes alien   Again, it started to rain on us but since it was warm out, it felt pretty nice.

And this little fella was pretty cool:

On our way to the airport, we were able to get lunch with Grindboy which was a lot of fun too.  Neither Veronika nor I had ever had lobster before, so we figured it'd be the appropriate thing to do:

All in all it was a fantastic trip and we are excited to go back again and explore more of the bazillions of miles of hiking trails out there!

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum