The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Metalheads who Hike

+15
eatbugs
deathisgain
Nocturnal Servant
Fearless For The King
Markus1987
metaldude
nuclearwoods
d@v!d
Jessie G
oldschooldoom
alldatndensum
Peter who was Vaak
MikeInFla
Kerrick
Grindboy
19 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Metalheads who Hike Empty Metalheads who Hike

Post by Grindboy Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:43 pm

Kerrick told me to make this thread.

Basically the two boards that I ever post on are here and a hiking board.  I'm guessing there aren't a lot more people here who love to hike than there are there that love metal, but we'll give it a shot.

I've only been at it for about 3 years, but I'm borderline obsessed.  I've hiked basically every noteworthy (or course depending on your definition of "noteworthy" trailed peak and feature in New Hampshire, as well as a few in Maine.  Anybody else hike up in here?  Or wherever you live?  Or particular spots on vacation?  Anybody ever hike the AT or PCT (I have no interest in trying these, but I do find them fascinating)?  Any particular place you'd fantasize about going?

Outside of NH, my "bucket list" would probably be Kathadin in Maine, Half-Dome in Yosemite, anything at all in Glacier NP, and of course Mt Whitney would be awesome.  And maybe a Grand Canyon rim-to-rim just for the experience.

Who else, anyone anything?  Show off your favorite pictures, stories, accomplishments, hopes and dreams?  I could talk trails with you all day!!!

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Metalheads who Hike Empty Re: Metalheads who Hike

Post by Guest Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:46 pm

Last year, my dad's family took a vacation to Smokies National Park. We hiked...one trail. A very short one. But following a very nice stream with a little waterfall at the end.

At the visitor center I bought a pocket-sized book with all the trails; a lot looked highly fascinating, not only for the nature but also for the history, as that area used to be populated.

But everyone else was either too old or too young. Didn't care or wanted to go to Dollywood. We probably won't be going again. Just keep on going to the beach.... Sleepy 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:12 am

Alright!  Well everyone should always do what I say so good job.  Wink

I already posted some pictures of Half Dome but you mentioned Glacier and I've been there:

Metalheads who Hike 1934768_120307361707_2576805_n

Metalheads who Hike 1934768_120311461707_5917060_n

My family is hardcore.  Cool
Metalheads who Hike 1934768_120307351707_923247_n

Metalheads who Hike 1934768_120311491707_4828269_n

Metalheads who Hike 1934768_120311466707_3492828_n

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:38 pm

When I lived in East Tennessee we hiked ALL the time. We loved to go to Alum Cave Bluffs and Mt LeCont. Went up one time and were not prepared. It started to rain and we lost daylight and ran out of water. But we made it back down and I slept for 15 hours straight. Looking back I was severely dehydrated. Haven't been hiking in years but would love to do it again sometime. We have beaches here so not a lot of hiking to do unless you consider walks on the beach a hike.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:29 am

Yesterday I went for a nice little hike by myself in Nisene Marks State Park here in Santa Cruz area.  It was gorgeous.  I snapped a few photos with my phone:

Metalheads who Hike 20141114

Metalheads who Hike 20141115

Metalheads who Hike 20141116

Metalheads who Hike 20141117

Metalheads who Hike 20141118

Metalheads who Hike 20141119

Tyrant
Tyrant

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:07 pm

I've been to the Smokies a couple of times, but not since I really started hiking.  We went on what was called a hike there once, but it was just a walk in the woods on an old logging road, didn't even climb to anything or see any particular view, and I thought it was pretty weak.  I think they DO have some pretty legit trails though, of course the Appalachian Trail runs through there, and there's Clingman's Dome and I'm sure others.  I never actually went to Dollywood -- dang, I didn't like Gatlinburg.  Tourist town on steriods!

Kerrick, I'm now legitimately jealous that you've both been up Half-Dome and to Glacier.  That's amazing.  We actually had a Glacier trip planned 2 summers ago -- we were going to be in Billings for a family obligation, and it's still like 4 hours away but never would life take us closer, so we planned to take an extra week and have an awesome trip.  Then a couple from church (I'm the pastor) set what would have been that weekend as the date for their wedding.  So "I'm sorry, I can't do it, I'll be hiking" didn't seem like the right thing to do, so we cut the trip shorter and weren't able to make it there at all.  But I've never heard of anybody being disappointed!

Those pics from today are sweet as well, that waterfall is legit!  And I love how everything's so green -- we have unbelievable Falls here, but right now all the grass and trees are dead and grey and ugly, and outside of the high above treeline peaks there's not enough snow to make things white and beautiful yet, or to strap on the shoeshoes.  "Shoulder season" at it's worst.  Plus bad weather tomorrow, so I'm probably going to switch my schedule and try to get out on Tuesday instead, we'll see what it's like up there!

Mike, I looked up Florida's highpoint once -- it's 345 ft., the lowest state highpoint in the nation.  So I get it -- not much to climb!  Walks on the coast can be nice -- but probably even those are different here, with rocky seacliffs, etc. where I think you have more just beach beach beach (but I don't really know).

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:25 pm

Beach and sand is all we have. I went from living in the mountains of Tennessee to living way below sea level!
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter who was Vaak Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:04 pm

I don't hike much, but two years ago I did a midnight hike of the San Francisco peaks in flagstaff. That was awesome. Nice,  cool and could hear the elk out there.
Peter who was Vaak
Peter who was Vaak
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:21 am

Here's my family on a Thanksgiving Day hike.  We didn't plan for it to be yet again another "King Family Hike" but somehow it did: trailblazing, bushwhacking through thick brush, sliding down steep mountainsides, trespassing, etc.  Haha I love my family.

Metalheads who Hike 10613021_10101622740152585_1981828186924875197_n

Metalheads who Hike 10429434_10101622741265355_8639932314201441685_n

Metalheads who Hike 1908207_10101622740277335_5493781796176841603_n

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:26 pm

Kerrick, you really do get out, don't you?  Love it!  Especially with the family.  My wife likes to go out, but it's tough to make it happen with our schedules, and our kid isn't much for it, so usually it's just me (which I don't mind at all even a little bit, for what it's worth).

Anyway, I wasn't able to get out at all today/this week, but I did manage a reasonable trip last week.  It's ugly "stick season" in the Northeast (actually I think there's decent snow now, but there wasn't yet last week when I went out) so views aren't all that attractive.  I went to some ponds and a waterfalls instead.  It was decent for the circumstances, although it won't go down as overly memorable.   A couple highlights below:

Metalheads who Hike Dream_11

Metalheads who Hike Upper_10

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:02 pm

I don't really do what some would constitute hiking.  However, I do hit quite a few trails and some are quite rough.  I go for the geocaching.  Hiking is just the preferred method when you get far enough out that you can no longer drive to the destination.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:38 am

Bump.  Yeah alldat, a lot of hiking and geocaching overlap.  I've never really done it but I know a lot of people do.

Anyway, I managed to get out for a freaking GREAT day yesterday.  Cold(3F when I left my car at the trailhead) but blue skies and shockingly calm winds for the mountains.

Seriously, who wants to spend a couple hours walking through this:

Metalheads who Hike Trail210

for views of this
Metalheads who Hike Willey10

and this:
Metalheads who Hike Washin10

And friends like this:

Metalheads who Hike Grey_j10

and this:
Metalheads who Hike Ross_g10

The answer may be obvious -- this guy!  I really don't like winter, but being able to enjoy it like THIS sure helps a lot.  Related note -- New Hampshire's a freaking awesome place to be, and I can't believe how lucky I am to be here (some jealously of Kerrick in central CA or anybody in CO, UT, or NW MT notwithstanding)

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:29 pm

I go hiking in Florida all the time
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessie G Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:21 am

Where I live there's not a whole lot of hiking trails but I'm an avid bike rider. We have a real nice flat terrain bike paths and I ride 10 miles a day in the spring, summer and fall. I'm gout thru withdrawal because I can't ride in the winter. Maybe I should take up cross country skiing
Jessie G
Jessie G
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:09 pm

Well, not quite a "hike" but I went on a very nice walk yesterday on the beach in the storm.  It cleared up about halfway into my walk and I was able to get some pretty cool pictures.

Metalheads who Hike 20150211

Metalheads who Hike 20150212

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:36 pm

Man, there just aren't any beaches like that up here.  We have our own unique charms, of course, but nothing quite like that.

I've had my last couple hike days totally weathered out, and probably won't really make it out now until maybe March 1.  I've had a couple shorter days, but no GREAT days since the last pics I posted from early December.  Going crazy here!

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:09 pm

Bump for pure brag post.

I never thought I'd have this chance, but Sunday I was able to connect with a couple internet friends from another forum and do a winter hike up Mt Washington, which is the highest peak in the Northeast and infamous for bad weather.  I'd NEVER try it in winter by myself (which is how I normally hike), and we had a reasonably good forecast, so we went and got it.  Awesome!

The Climb
[img]Metalheads who Hike Gibba_13[/img]

The Main Destination
Metalheads who Hike <a href=Metalheads who Hike Washin10" />

The side trip
Metalheads who Hike <a href=Metalheads who Hike Gibba_10" />

The Triumph (I'm in the middle, like it matters)
Metalheads who Hike <a href=Metalheads who Hike Fellas10" />

The Descent
Metalheads who Hike <a href=Metalheads who Hike Gg_gib10" />

In all, it really wasn't as extreme of an experience as I was expecting.  We were on pretty gentle trails and had, by local standards, decent conditions.  Great views on the way up and at the "side trip" (Mt Clay), although high clouds rolled in before we made the summit.  That's ok, the summit doesn't have the best views anyway.  Great day!

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

scottmitchell74 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:12 pm

Wow that is spectacular!  Nicely done.  Those pictures are gorgeous.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:52 pm

Wiki shows that Mt Washington summit is 6,288 ft. The world's highest windspeed of 231 miles per hour (372 km/h), was recorded there in 1934.
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:34 pm

Thanks Kerrick, it feels weird in a pure brag post, but at least I'll admit that's what this is!

Yes, all that's true oldschool.  To anybody out west 6288 sounds TINY, and compared to Rockies or Sierra Nevada they are, but not nearly to the degree that the numbers would suggest.  They do also claim "world's worst weather" (ad nauseum, in fact), and while that's some hyperbole it truly can be pretty extreme.  In fact last month a climber went out in bad weather (peak gusts at 141 mph on summit) to tragic results.  We watched the weather pretty carefully (there's a summit report at 5:00 every morning), and with air temps above zero and winds sustained at about 35 with peak gusts still under 50, that's pretty good for winter.  We all had appropriate layers, and it really wasn't bad.  So I hope that wasn't the climb of my life, but it might be the most exciting trip of my year!

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:49 am

This Saturday I went on a ~14 mile hike with some folks from the 20s/30s church ministry I'm involved in.  We had a blast!  It's a pretty mellow hike (not a lot of elevation change) but there are a couple really pretty waterfalls to see.

Metalheads who Hike 11110813_10153664846853496_8356477153108991416_n

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:06 pm

Hey, great bump Kerrick.

You have some seriously crazy waterfalls out in the West.  Ours have their own charm, but for sheer size and "awe" factor, we can't compare. 

I was once a young man like yourself, and if I'd gone on 20's/30's church hike, it would have been for more than one kind of "scenery," though.  So we all see the falls. . . which one (ones?) gave you the "extra" reason to dig out the boots?

I sort of got out today.  It was a junky weather day, and it's back to "shoulder season" here where the warmer temps soften up the snow and make Spring hiking very difficult, plus wherever the snow melts off is brown and ugly for a while yet.  But I beat around the Maine coast for a few hours in between dropping off and picking up my son from school, mostly getting snowed on as it would happen.  I did get a GREAT lunch at a place from "Diners, Dives, and Drive-In's" or whatever though.  Eggs Benedict but with deep-fried cod-cakes instead of ham -- bizarre and hugely tasty!  But that was probably the highlight.  I've been out a couple times since the Washington trip but for shorter mellow days -- not bad, but if I posted EVERY time I went out it would be just too much Grindboy!

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:53 pm

Man, if you (and Kerrick!) keep posting pictures like you have been, I don't think it would be too much Grindboy. Nature is beautiful in and of itself, but it's really cool seeing and comparing pictures from opposite sides of the country.

I don't do much picture taking, but I love hiking and mountain biking and there are some really pretty areas here in PA and NY where we sometimes go. I'm looking forward to going out west and hiking and biking out there too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:02 pm

Well thanks Undead, I absolutely didn't make this to be my personal hike thread but I'm glad to hear that (it sounds like) you've enjoyed it some. 

I've never hiked in PA or NY, but one of the guys that I went up Washington with (post above) is in the middle of hiking all of the 4,000 ft peaks in the Adirondaks (he's lived in NH his whole life and has been over most anything worthwhile here a couple times!).  His pics look pretty excellent!

I'll give this one -- it's from a couple weeks ago where I had limited time but it WAS a beautiful day.  This is from what's called Mt Major, which is a HUGELY popular peak here, and I suppose with good reason.  It's a tremendous spot, and a pretty modest hike, so the casual outdoors people and tourists flock to it like the salmon of Capistrano.  Anyway, we'd had a couple inches of fresh snow the night before, so everything looks extra "frosted" and beautiful underneath the nice blue sky.  It's Lake Winnipesaukee in the foreground, with the white tip of Washington poking out to the left of the most prominent mountains if you'll even be able to see without having it blown up and full monitor size.  But pretty awesome in person!

Metalheads who Hike Whites11

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:39 pm

Bump for Raven, who says he likes hiking!

I've never hiked in Utah, but I know it's a beautiful and varied state.  Ever been to Angels Landing?  Or around where the Aron Ralstin incident took place (was that Canyonlands)?  I know there are good mountains too, where do you go?  Maybe share some pics if you have some?  I could talk for days. . .

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next