The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RUSH

+16
pathogenics_cloned_twin83
Parched Earth
Soldier777
Highway Star
Temple of Blood
uncleBob
johnnycanuck
Driven
stepcousin
Xid
Professor_Valconian
d@v!d
MikeInFla
metaldude
xMetalMarkx
Friday13th
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

RUSH Empty RUSH

Post by Guest Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:59 pm

RUSH...What a great band ....some of the finest songwriters and musicians to ever grace the Hard Rock Genre. I love everything this band has ever put out..WHo else is a huge fan here?

RUSH RUSHwp1

Back to top Go down

RUSH Empty Re: RUSH

Post by Friday13th Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:39 pm

Well lets see...I own 11 of their 19 studio albums...nah, not a fan Very Happy
Top 20 band of all time for sure. Clockwork Angels? Man, I want to rock like that when I'm 60.
However, I will assert that I claim them for the prog genre.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by xMetalMarkx Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:00 pm

I also enjoy everything they've done.  I discovered them 30+ years ago when my older brother brought home the Moving Pictures LP.  I still owe him for introducing me to Rush and Kansas!

Funny that you happen to post about them today.  I'm currently neck-deep in a Rush binge, listening to them at work for at least 5 hours a day for the last couple of weeks.  I've acquired all of their best bootlegs after scouring the reviews at Digital Rush Experience (totally thankful for all the obsessives that contribute over there), so in addition to the commercial releases there's still quite a pile to plow through!!
xMetalMarkx
xMetalMarkx
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:42 pm

I can't say I'm a huge fan. I prefer their works up to Moving Pictures to their later works. But I will say that, in my opinion, 2112 and Moving Pictures are masterpieces.
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:47 pm

I'm currently neck-deep in a Rush binge, listening to them at work for at least 5 hours a day for the last couple of weeks.

Me also..I recently rediscovered 80s and early 90s Rush...Power Windows, Grace under pressure, Retrospective 3, test For Echo and exit stage left all getting played right now. I love these albums. I am looking to eventually buy everything they have released. I already have most of the 70s albums...I have never heard of Digital Rush Experience before. Looks pretty cool. I would love to track down some more live stuff bootlegs or official. I love Rush live...
here are a few tracks I just love...

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:15 am

No doubt 2112 to Moving Pictures is the classic era, though I'd say they got better with each one of that era. I still like Signals and Grace Under Pressure, but after that it did get too synthy or just plain bland. Still one of the most consistent bands spanning many years, and Clockwork Angels is a great comeback.

Oh, and here's a bad one: you know what to jam at 5:00...it's RUSH hour!  Laughing Razz Mad face palm
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:49 am

Love em, always have. I always knew who they were too because my older brother had the albums back in the 70's. And living in Michigan, they were somewhat "local". 

I lost interest w "Grace Under Pressure". it isn't bad stuff at all, I just lost interest in that era. I love certain songs, but not whole albums. "Show Of Hands" covers the best tracks for me for that time period.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:43 pm

Great band! I have a lot of respect for them, but have never been able to get too into them.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:52 pm

You can't expect metal when you're listening to Rush. They rock hard, but I myself expected more when I heard bands like Dream Theater and Metallica were influenced by them. Rush themselves were influenced by Zeppelin and Sabbath, but their music rarely approaches even that level of metal. Some may disagree with me, but I think their status as a precursor to prog metal is a bit exaggerated given other bands like Yes or King Crimson did the same or heavier stuff before them. Nevertheless, they are excellent musicians, have keener sense of melody and rockin' riffs than most bands, and hence rule hard. If you're interested, I'd start with Moving Pictures.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:24 pm

Friday13th wrote:You can't expect metal when you're listening to Rush.
Yeah, I guess that's the thing. I started into metal an odd way. I never like the old hard rock and heavy metal bands when I was young. They sounded brash, noisy and boring. I got into metal through thrash.

Anyhow, I think I'll take some time and go through their albums again and see what sticks.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor_Valconian Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:17 pm

Love them. Own most of their studio albums. My preference is Signals and prior ... but I have been getting into their later catalog. I saw them in concert last summer.

As a Christian though, some (not a lot) of Neil's lyrics make me sad. When I hear some of their songs that are clearly atheistic, or maybe more accurately anti-God, I pray for him.

Here is an example from BU2B from Clockwork Angels ...

I was brought up to believe
The universe has a plan
We are only human
It's not ours to understand

The universe has a plan
All is for the best
Some will be rewarded
And the devil will take the rest

All is for the best
Believe in what we're told
Blind men in the market
Buying what we're sold

Believe in what we're told
Until our final breath
While our loving Watchmaker
Loves us all to death
Professor_Valconian
Professor_Valconian
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Location : In a meeting of the Society who puts things on top of other things

Back to top Go down

Post by Xid Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:51 pm

I've been a Rush fan since I heard 2112 when I was just a kid.
Xid
Xid
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://www.joshuascreed.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:48 pm

As a Christian though, some (not a lot) of Neil's lyrics make me sad. When I hear some of their songs that are clearly atheistic, or maybe more accurately anti-God, I pray for him.
I read that all 3 of them were brought up in strict religious homes (Geddy-Jewish, Alex and Neil-Christian) but that now all 3 of the members are atheist..

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:18 am

Savage Amusement wrote:

I read that all 3 of them were brought up in strict religious homes (Geddy-Jewish, Alex and Neil-Christian) but that now all 3 of the members are atheist..
I've heard about that and have wondered if the success of the band is the thing that keep them distracted from facing their nihilism.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:37 am

It's true, BU2B is pretty much about Neil growing up in a strict religious home and now rejecting it. As a Christian, I take it as a warning to parents who don't take the time to help their child truly understand Christianity and just tell them what to believe and not the why or the who. However, what I do like about Rush is they do ask a lot of the right questions, which is a very good thing in world that focuses on all the wrong things. You may Calvinist, but a song like "Freewill" still begs the question...what are these atheists doing talking about questions in Christian theology? The song even confronts those who think they're okay shrugging off religion by saying that in itself is a choice without excuses. How about "The Garden" on Clockwork Angels? Sure, no mention of God being the reason for "love and respect", but a lot on that song is Christian truth. I hear it and it reminds me of why I'm here.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by stepcousin Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:54 pm

Huge Rush fan, easily the biggest Rush fan in my world (not including the internet, I've met some seriously obsessed fans online). However, you'd have a hard time finding a bigger fan of the '75-'81 era than me. I agree about some Neil's lyrics of the last 20 years or so being kinda anti-religious, but it doesnt bother me much anymore. It's Neil bein' Neil. That's why I love the old Rush the best, Neil was just a nerdy bookworm and wrote alot about fiction and less about religious idealogy. Musically, they've always been stellar. It is hard for me to listen to Rush without doing some kinda air bass/drums/guitar. Whenever I'm hangin' out with people rockin' out and a Rush song comes on, I'm usually the guy that everyone seems to think "wow, this guy really likes Rush...."

stepcousin
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Driven Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:53 pm

Do I ever enjoy this band… Twisted Evil My favourite albums are all between A Farewell To Kings and Grace Under Pressure, inclusive. My favourite songs would be Jacob's Ladder and The Analog Kid - underrated tunes, both of them. I know a good many of their songs on drums, guitar, bass, and synth, even including synth/bass pedals on occasion. After Grace Under Pressure, they started getting too serious, and after Hold Your Fire, they became just another rock band to me.

Also love to drive my car to the tune of Red Barchetta. Smile
Driven
Driven
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://danielbandfan.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnycanuck Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:37 pm

My mother bought me Rush album every Christmas from 1974 on to 1978. So that was the Eponymous, Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, 2112 and A Farewell to Kings. She also bought me the Rush Archives in 1978 (first three albums in one set). I have since sold these, although I have them all on CD and 2112 on vinyl. Of all the years of listening to Rush I have never seen them live. Since this may be their last tour I bought a ticket to see them in Montreal June 21.
johnnycanuck
johnnycanuck
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by uncleBob Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:35 am

This coming saturday night on That Metal Show on VH1 Classic Geddy Lee is the guest along w/ John Petrucci. And following TMS a new series called "Rock Icons" debuts with the first story being Geddy Lee. Looks like a good evening.

uncleBob
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:26 pm

I like a lot of their songs over their history but they have very few albums I enjoy from start to finish.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Highway Star Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:46 pm

They could no wrong thru Moving Pictures, after that I pretty much lost intrest
Highway Star
Highway Star
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:48 pm

I'm with you, except for me it was thru p/g.  And "Time Stands Still."

Back to top Go down

Post by Driven Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:06 pm

Neal Morse Code wrote:I'm with you, except for me it was thru p/g.  And "Time Stands Still."

To me, it was up to Power Windows. After that, HYF and every other album had, like, 2 good songs. Actually, though, Power Windows was a grower for me, and I like almost all of it.
Driven
Driven
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://danielbandfan.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:57 am

I like some RUSH stuff, as I also like a few Canadian rock acts like Triumph, April Wine, PRISM, Bryan Adams, Chrissy Steele, etc. RUSH gets played a lot here on a local classic rock/hard rock station 97.5 K-Rock http://www.k-rock975.com.

Here is Canadian comedian Rick Mercer with Neil Pearl and his drum kit and his hobby riding a motorcycle and giving Rock drum lessons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09l35k0rGvY. Neil wrote most of Rush's lyrics.

Here is Rick Mercer with Alex Lifeson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRCYP1jSMJQ and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMpT_tRpB3I.

Rush on The Hour with George Stroumboulopoulos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xRpYxkLWqY.
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Parched Earth Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:53 am

I own all their studio albums.  Counterparts was my first Rush album, and still one I enjoy a lot.  Though, I would say Permanent Waves is probably my favorite.  I appreciate pretty much everything in their catalog, though some of the late 80s synthy albums are probably my least favorite.
Parched Earth
Parched Earth
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next