The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

losing my faith...

+3
nerf_herder4444
bassdude
Innocent Bystander
7 posters

Go down

losing my faith... Empty losing my faith...

Post by Innocent Bystander Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:55 am

I probably never had any to begin with actually... Ever since I "got saved" I have been doubting my salvation for whatever reason. Maybe I just did it because that's what I had been brought up to do and partly because I was afraid of hell. I didn't have doubts in God's love and his ability to give salvation, but my sincerity. I WANT to be sincere and live my life for the sole purpose of glorifying God, but I feel like I don't actually. And more recently I have been having doubts about God and the validity of the Bible and such, though I'm not sure why. I WANT to believe in Jesus but I don't know if I even do anymore. I guess I know deep down somewhere that it's all true, otherwise I'd just ditch Christianity and I wouldn't be posting this to ask for prayers... But yeah. I want to be legit in my faith and be totally sure of God and truly know Christ as my saviour and live my life for him, but I can't just all of a sudden force myself to believe that, even though I want to. I've started reading my Bible more often, and actually reading carefully/thinking about what it says rather than just reading it for the sake of reading it as I have done in the past. I'm gonna stop listening to secular music too (I don't think that that's the issue, as I don't listen to anything anti-Christian, or against anything Christians believe, but maybe it is, I don't know). I also pray about this, but I feel such distance between God and me and as I have said I'm not even sure of my belief so I never expect anything to actually change. It's more of a just in case sort of thing I suppose. So please pray/give advice that God will act in my life and strengthen/give me faith and salvation (or that I will notice/accept it). Sorry that was pretty long to say something fairly simple.
Innocent Bystander
Innocent Bystander
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

losing my faith... Empty Re: losing my faith...

Post by Guest Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:15 am

If I may, could I throw a link your way? It might help you with some of the things you discussed in your post.

http://carm.org/questions/skeptics-ask

There's many other topics on that website other than that link I provided. Regardless, I'll say a prayer for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:40 am

You are on the right track. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. Keep reading the Word, even if feels dry or boring at times. Stick with it. Keep praying as well, even if you feel a distance between you and God. He hears you. One thing I would recommend is to start writing your prayers down instead of just speaking or praying them. It's something people used to do a lot and I've started to do recently. It makes it much more personal and I think you can express yourself much better to God.

I will pray for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by bassdude Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:07 pm

Praying
bassdude
bassdude
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by nerf_herder4444 Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:12 am

Dude i know how you feel, I have been going through a similar thing recently. One thing I can relate the feeling to is, how do we know George Washington existed? Sure we live in this country said to be founded by him, sure we have documents and things signed by him, and sure he appears in all the history books, but there is not any physical evidence to prove his existence to someone. In response, we must sit back and piece all the evidence together. If Washington diddnt found the country than who did? When you search deep in your mind, you'll find that Washington's existence is very possible, and very logical. The facts that are shown by this will end up overpowering the doubts. You have to think about God in this same way.
nerf_herder4444
nerf_herder4444
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Innocent Bystander Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:45 am

Thanks guys. I think the issue is not so much belief in God/the truth of Christianity (but again, I don't know what I believe. If that makes sense) but of doubting my sincerity/ not being sincere though I want to. That's a nice site Heretic. And I will (try to) start writing down my prayers.
Innocent Bystander
Innocent Bystander
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Innocent Bystander Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:45 am

This kinda helped me. I guess just hearing about how God has worked in people's lives helps to reinforce/build my faith. But this one moved me more than some other testimonies I've heard idk why...
Innocent Bystander
Innocent Bystander
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by my perception Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:20 am

It's tough, know you are loved and heard by God. Just trust and pray, as I dont really know what to type.Praying that God will reveal Himself to you (He what you to be strong and know your beliefs, He want clarity for you, just hold on my friend)

my perception
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:42 am

praying, man.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessrox Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:27 am

Just hang in there, and fight the good fight of faith. Be patient and wait on God, he is faithfull and will never leave or forsake you. We all have doughts at times, but just hang in there, the alternative is hopeless. At least there is hope in Jesus. The hope of Glory Christ Jesus! Hallelujah! Smile
Jessrox
Jessrox
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:02 am

honestly the first thing I would tell you is to talk to someone you trust.. like a pastor.. and I certainly think that any issues you have can be worked out if you are willing. Trust me.

Secondly I would tell you DO NOT try to find your answers here or on any website. That can lead you to further uncertainty and certainly introduce or infuriate confusion.

----------------------------

Personally when I had my "crisis of faith" in my youth/entering adulthood I didn't hang on to the faith even though I had grown up in church, had experienced the fruits of God, and certainly had a good relationship with Christ. I let doubt and skepticism rob me of 5-6 years of my life (and certainly more since of how much ground I lost) as well as cause pain that was completely unnecessary. Certainly if you would have met me you certainly would not have foreseen what would happen considering where I was spiritually. I was 19 and headed off to college to join the pastorate and instead I ended up less than a year later as an alcoholic and an atheist.

All of that could have been avoided.

I would encourage you to take any doubts or concerns you have about your spiritual life (whether theological or not) as something that you should deal with. Do so according to godly counsel. Don't try to take it on yourself.

-----------------------

I certainly will keep you in prayer and would remind you also that there are moderators here who are trustworthy and certainly can help point you in the right direction. I'm sure any of them would be willing to talk to you if you so desire or have that need. I know I would (certainly not a MOD though lol). Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Innocent Bystander Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:18 pm

Thanks all. And I have talked to my parents about this and they're kinda helpful... Maybe talking to a pastor would be a good idea too...
Innocent Bystander
Innocent Bystander
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:06 am

how are things?

Back to top Go down

Post by Innocent Bystander Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:48 am

not too much different right now. My belief in God and Jesus as our savior is getting stronger again...but I still feel like I have no desire to actually follow. But I desire that desire if that makes sense.
Innocent Bystander
Innocent Bystander
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:11 am

makes perfect sense. pray for it.

Back to top Go down

Post by messiaen77 Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:22 pm

Can I suggest that the very fact that it concerns you that you don't feel the way you think you should is evidence that it is real in your life? Praying.
messiaen77
messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Innocent Bystander Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:17 am

Yeah that might be possible messiaen. It's getting better with time and prayer...still not sure but maybe I don't have to be.
Innocent Bystander
Innocent Bystander
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf the White Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:13 pm

You don't IB. Keep praying - some fo history's most amazing saints had times of doubt.
Gandalf the White
Gandalf the White
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:23 pm

yeah.. well.. not so much doubt being my enemy... it's skepticism..

Back to top Go down

Post by Innocent Bystander Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:21 am

I read this: http://jasonwisdombta.blogspot.com/2012/01/suspending-disbelief.html And I think "suspending disbelief" is what I'm doing... I'm almost agnostic now. Or I just admitted it to myself now. I want so badly to believe but I can't force myself to. The only reason I have any belief at all right now is because I was brainwashed into it. That's a little strong I guess but what I have been feeling lately. I feel like an outsider in church and stuff thinking how ridiculous it is to worship a possibly (IMO) non-existent god, so I would need to be totally sure to believe. I'm still praying for faith and reading the Bible though.
Innocent Bystander
Innocent Bystander
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down