Odd collections

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Odd collections

Post by alldatndensum on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:08 am

Does anyone collect something odd? It's become socially acceptable to collect comic books, action figures, band memorabilia, Barbies, etc. But, some people collect stuff that isn't mainstream.

For example, I collect eggs. No, not the edible kind. I have several in my collection including a sterling silver egg, an obsidian egg, several egg music boxes, a couple of blown glass eggs, a volcanic glass egg, etc. I'd like to find a jade egg and an amber egg to really make the collection feel complete.

Any other "odd" collectors?
alldatndensum
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Odd collections

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:11 pm

Many years ago, I used to collect drinking glasses, the kind that McDonald's, Burger King, Coca-Cola and other companies would put out. At one point, I had hundreds, but then my wife said they had to go. It was a 1 bedroom apartment at the time and there just wasn't room.

My son collects bottles. So, every time I have a beer, he gets the bottle if it's not already in his collection. I try a different one every week so his collection has really grown. It also includes a large variety of soft-drink and other bottles. He's 13 years old.

Back to top Go down

Post by Through The Dark Radio on Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:44 pm

Hockey jerseys. I probably have about 30+ jerseys from various teams. Most of the ones I have are from teams that are no more like the Dallas Freeze, San Antonio Iguanas and Central Texas Stampede. I also have quite a few European jerseys like the Augsburg Panthers and Nuremburg Ice Tigers.
Through The Dark Radio
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegarveyfan on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:49 pm

In addition to collecting music and baseball cards, I thoroughly enjoy attending Minor League Baseball games. Another of my hobbies is photographing the graves of MLB Hall of Famers. I just love doing those things. So relaxing, so rewarding and peaceful.
stevegarveyfan
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed May 01, 2013 12:08 pm

Through The Dark Radio wrote:Hockey jerseys. I probably have about 30+ jerseys from various teams. Most of the ones I have are from teams that are no more like the Dallas Freeze, San Antonio Iguanas and Central Texas Stampede. I also have quite a few European jerseys like the Augsburg Panthers and Nuremburg Ice Tigers.

I happen to know that Al Snow (of WWE fame) also collects hockey jerseys. He even had one in his collection,that I saw in a video, from what was once called the Mobile Mystics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Mysticks

Back to top Go down

Post by Through The Dark Radio on Wed May 01, 2013 12:11 pm

Yep, the Mobile Mysticks . . . not quite a good as the Macon Whoopee Very Happy
Through The Dark Radio
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by unworthy on Wed May 01, 2013 1:25 pm

I collect all my nail clippings in jars.
unworthy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 13, 2013 11:30 am

unworthy wrote:I collect all my nail clippings in jars.
Every forum needs it's weirdo. I guess you're it!

Back to top Go down

Post by oteis on Mon May 13, 2013 3:58 pm

I have collected Car Brochures for years. I have kept about 100. But i had like 1200.
oteis
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by nairtoons on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:47 pm

I collect old radio shows mainly comedy on any media. Mel Blanc, Marx bros. Abbot and Costello, Red Skelton and so on. Love the Humor and there never dirty maybe some inuendos but there classic.
nairtoons
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by guilty/forgiven on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:43 pm

I have a huge collection of cult and religion publications that date back to the 1800s.

For a little over 7 years I studied dozens of different beliefs and, not being one to take the words of someone who wrote a book exposing a belief as aberrant, I set out to obtain every original publication I could get my hands on. I collected several hundred pubs by the Watchtower, dozens of LDS books, a mish mosh of several miscellaneous beliefs including Blavatsky, Ellen G White, Aleister Crowley, Anton LaVey, Worldwide COG, and many more.

Not sure what such a collection would be worth, but I imagine some of the early 1900s books should get a few bucks at least.
I've thought about selling them all, but I want them to go to someone like me- a believer who uses them for research to further the Truth.
guilty/forgiven
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by guilty/forgiven on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:39 am

Not sure if it's considered "odd", but I collect songs that take me back to my childhood- if I hear a song I haven't heard since I was a kid or a teen, I get it and add it to my collection. I have over 300 songs in this category, from "Billy, Don't be a Hero" to Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty to songs from Schoolhouse Rock (Conjunction Junction) Laughing  - I'm extremely nostalgic.

I also have to have every Spiderman graphic novel that comes out - I know a lot of ppl think he's lame, but Spidey's always been my go-to superhero. Not really odd per se, but maybe odd for a 43 year old.

And finally, I collect anything that makes me laugh. I have a folder on my computer of pictures, gifs and jokes that made me actually laugh out loud. If it doesn't make me laugh, it's not in the folder. I got stuff in that folder from when I was a teenager.
guilty/forgiven
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Through The Dark Radio on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:03 pm

VERB . . that's what's happen'!!!
Through The Dark Radio
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by guilty/forgiven on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:56 pm

Through The Dark Radio wrote:VERB . . that's what's happen'!!!

Yeeeeeeahhhhhh !!! LOVE IT !! 43 and I still dig those old songs ! I learned more from SHR than I did from public school ! Laughing
guilty/forgiven
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyx74 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:40 pm

I started collecting Donald Duck Pockets in 'Season' 3. Our son loves reading them now.
Nyx74
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by guilty/forgiven on Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:48 am

My mom had a complete collection of commemorative soda glasses from Burger King and McDonalds from the 70s = Star Wars, Empire, Looney Toons, and a few other odd ones.
The 1992 Landers California earthquake of 7.5 did away with 99% of them. She was bummed, but I think she was more upset that her entire house was destroyed more than a few glasses.
guilty/forgiven
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:55 pm

I have a 4 piece set of glasses from Burger King commemorating the release of the rebooted Star Trek movie.
alldatndensum
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:39 am

I also collect geocoins.  They are trackable coins that are part of the worldwide geocaching sport.  I have around 20 or so of them that I will not release to be moved around the globe.  My favorites, though, are my milestone coins.  Every time I find another 1,000, I add another milestone coin.  I should get my 5th on this year.

What is geocaching?  Go to www.geocaching.com to find out!
alldatndensum
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Blake on Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:11 pm

When I was really little my parents were concerns because I started collecting chicken bones. Not sure when that stopped but I eventually amassed a rather large Hot Wheels collection before eventually selling that off.
Blake
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://reanimatedradio.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MadKraken on Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:29 pm

Metal Blessing Radio wrote:When I was really little my parents were concerns because I started collecting chicken bones. Not sure when that stopped but I eventually amassed a rather large Hot Wheels collection before eventually selling that off.

Haha, I tried collecting chicken bones as a kid, too, but unfortunately my mom wouldn't even let me keep my first bone. I had this idea that once I got enough bones I could make fake skeletons of made-up creatures. Still kind of a cool idea...
MadKraken
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla on Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:09 pm

guilty/forgiven wrote:I have a huge collection of cult and religion publications that date back to the 1800s.

For a little over 7 years I studied dozens of different beliefs and, not being one to take the words of someone who wrote a book exposing a belief as aberrant, I set out to obtain every original publication I could get my hands on. I collected several hundred pubs by the Watchtower, dozens of LDS books, a mish mosh of several miscellaneous beliefs including Blavatsky, Ellen G White, Aleister Crowley, Anton LaVey, Worldwide COG, and many more.

Not sure what such a collection would be worth, but I imagine some of the early 1900s books should get a few bucks at least.
I've thought about selling them all, but I want them to go to someone like me- a believer who uses them for research to further the Truth.

Got any strange stuff from The People's Temple?
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by guilty/forgiven on Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:23 pm

Nothing original from Jimmy Jones group of crazies. But I do have some books that include the sordid story, what they believe and some of the stories from ex-members. Crazy stuff.
guilty/forgiven
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by guilty/forgiven on Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:22 pm

I'm trying to find someone to buy my Watchtower publications collection. I really hate to sell them individually, but I doubt anyone's gonna afford the entire lot (some of the publications go back 100+ years ago).

I also have a collection of LDS publications I'm gonna sell.
guilty/forgiven
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:38 pm

Did you do too much LDS back at Berkeley?  lol!

When I last replied to this thread, I was approaching my 5,000th find in geocaching.  This year, I hope to soon grab my 6,000th find.
alldatndensum
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by metallikitty on Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:07 pm

Used to have a lot of pet cats (no, really, metalliKITTY?!) Only have one now. And I have a small tin somewhere that is almost full of shed cat whiskers I would find and pick up.

>^~^<

metallikitty
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackCowl on Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:11 am

My daughter and I have a killer rock collection. We got all shapes, sizes, colors.
BlackCowl
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Mysterious Gamer Dude on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:00 pm

Bottle caps. The metal ones. Whether I get them from buying a glass bottled soda, out of those bottle openers at service stations, on the street, or just laying around. I keep them in a shoe box. It's just a little thing I've got going to occupy my mind when I'm bored.

I also get any spare, old or new, electronics or computer parts that I can find. Not only a collection, but also useful for fixing stuff, building or modding stuff, or simply experimenting.

Pennies. Because they can become a lot of $$$ over time.
Mysterious Gamer Dude
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by stringfellow_hawke on Thu May 11, 2017 4:01 pm

I collect autographs.  I have a binder with photos, ticket stubs or whatever else was signed.  And a cd holder for cd booklets.

Is that odd? lol
stringfellow_hawke
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Mysterious Gamer Dude on Thu May 11, 2017 5:12 pm

^I have some autographed items, I've misplaced most over the years though.

--------------------

Some other collections I forgot to mention include:

Weapons, lots and lots of weapons. Guns, knives, tomahawks, make-shift melee weapons (Barb wire wrapped pick axe handle, spike covered smoothed out and hardened stick etc.), cross-bow, bow and arrow, and as much ammo as I can get a hold of. I'm sure a few more things as well.

Video games, I have games for PS3, PS4, PSP, Xbox 360, GameCube, and PC. (Not exactly odd, but I still felt like mentioning it.)

Empty ammo cartridges, simply for the sake of reloading them once I get the supplies to do so.

Digital album art, stored on my PC.

And that's all that I can think of at the moment.
Mysterious Gamer Dude
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by stringfellow_hawke on Thu May 11, 2017 5:35 pm

Mysterious Gamer Dude wrote:^I have some autographed items, I've misplaced most over the years though.

--------------------

Weapons, lots and lots of weapons. Guns, knives, tomahawks, make-shift melee weapons (Barb wire wrapped pick axe handle, spike covered smoothed out and hardened stick etc.), cross-bow, bow and arrow, and as much ammo as I can get a hold of. I'm sure a few more things as well.

Video games, I have games for PS3, PS4, PSP, Xbox 360, GameCube, and PC. (Not exactly odd, but I still felt like mentioning it.)

Empty ammo cartridges, simply for the sake of reloading them once I get the supplies to do so.

Very cool.  that stinks that you misplaced them though.  I have a lot of wrestlers, war heroes (medal of honor recipients, aces, etc.) and cd booklets signed by bands or a few members.  Brian Johnson from AC/DC, Judas Priest, Kerry King from Slayer, and Rex Brown from Pantera are some of my bigger scores.
stringfellow_hawke
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Mysterious Gamer Dude on Thu May 11, 2017 5:40 pm

stringfellow_hawke wrote:
Mysterious Gamer Dude wrote:^I have some autographed items, I've misplaced most over the years though.

--------------------

Very cool.  that stinks that you misplaced them though.  I have a lot of wrestlers, war heroes (medal of honor recipients, aces, etc.) and cd booklets signed by bands or a few members.  Brian Johnson from AC/DC, Judas Priest, Kerry King from Slayer, and Rex Brown from Pantera are some of my bigger scores.

Wow dude, nice! It'll be an awesome day if or when I'd be able to get Antestor to sign my copy of The Forsaken.
Mysterious Gamer Dude
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by stringfellow_hawke on Thu May 11, 2017 5:52 pm

You know?  I messaged them on Facebook about getting a signed copy of Omen.  they told me they would get back to me and never did.  Then again I never prompted them after the fact...  Maybe I should give them a try again... Question
stringfellow_hawke
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Mysterious Gamer Dude on Thu May 11, 2017 5:59 pm

stringfellow_hawke wrote:You know?  I messaged them on Facebook about getting a signed copy of Omen.  they told me they would get back to me and never did.  Then again I never prompted them after the fact...  Maybe I should give them a try again... Question

It's worth a shot. I'd try it. It's not like you've got anything to lose.
Mysterious Gamer Dude
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum