Kreyson

Go down

Kreyson

Post by Follower of Jesus on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:59 pm

I just picked up the reissue of their "Angel on the Run" album, based largely on the review on Angelic Warlord and the samples at the band's website. Money well spent! This is a terrific heavy metal album. Lots of speedy riffing and monstrous 80s-style drumming. I heard samples of Crusader, the follow-up album, and I don't know that I'll like that one as much. The raw energy on this album and the heavier and faster riffing is really great.

I listened to samples of the 20 Years of Kreyson re-record, and I wasn't nearly as impressed. I know many disagree with me, but when music like this is stripped of those big 80s drums, it loses 50% of its power. The songs were decent and well played, and it was well-produced, but the originals from the old days are much better to me because the drums are like cannons.
avatar
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1322
Join date : 2012-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by Black Rider on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:15 pm

I'll have to check out the reissue. I've heard the 20 years and it was ok but nothing too special.
avatar
Black Rider
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3241
Join date : 2012-02-01
Location : Naches, Wa.

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by eatbugs on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:50 pm

Crusaders is the only one I have (so far) but I like it.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1360
Join date : 2012-08-28
Location : Michigan

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by OldFatGuy on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:20 pm

I like them as well. More Gems from the past.
avatar
OldFatGuy
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 134
Join date : 2012-06-22
Age : 49
Location : Tennessee

http://www.wrestlingwithfood.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by Fundy on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:46 pm

I loved the two original english albums mainly because of the vocals. Great stuff.

Fundy
avatar
Fundy
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 412
Join date : 2012-02-05

https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:40 pm

This band always reminds me of a cross between Saxon and early manowar...great band!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:31 am

Agree with FoJ about the drums. I think it is called gated reverb, not sure. But the same thing happened when Dave Mustaine remastered the Megadeth albums. He totally butchered SFSGSW, especially the drums.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by darktower on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:12 pm

I enjoy their stuff, thought the best of is good enough for me!

darktower
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1158
Join date : 2012-02-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by Follower of Jesus on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:11 pm

I continue to jam this record. This is a smokin' piece of heavy metal! Wow.
avatar
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1322
Join date : 2012-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by Thiago-Brazil on Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:42 pm

I'm not a fan of their kind of metal, but I got the 20 years album and listened to it a lot. I will get their rereleases sometime in the future.
avatar
Thiago-Brazil
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1462
Join date : 2012-03-12
Age : 30
Location : São Paulo - Brazil

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by Peter who was Vaak on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:40 pm

I have never listened to them, I just remember before I started listening to metal I saw a guy drawing a logo picture of theirs, with a pentagram, saying something like "I'm so desperate I'm now listening to Kreyson." I always assumed they were satanic after that, though never looked.
avatar
Peter who was Vaak
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1920
Join date : 2012-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by Follower of Jesus on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:50 am

Satanic? No. Christian!

Check out samples of their two re-released albums on Amazon (and probably iTunes).
avatar
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1322
Join date : 2012-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by Sutekh on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:12 am

Haven't heard the reissues, but I have the originals, and they sound fine to me!
avatar
Sutekh
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 431
Join date : 2012-04-06
Age : 45
Location : South Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by My Awesome Timothy on Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:25 am

I think they have a new release coming soon according to website!
avatar
My Awesome Timothy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1361
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : England

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by Thiago-Brazil on Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:26 am

That's true, but if they are going to release only in their language, I'll certainly not going to get this.
avatar
Thiago-Brazil
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1462
Join date : 2012-03-12
Age : 30
Location : São Paulo - Brazil

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by METALGIANT on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:31 pm

You miss something if you keep your only English language thing. The 3rd and especially 4th KREYSON album are great and yes these are in czech. The live DVD was also really good and the video clip which features DORO.... Looking forward to their new stuff.

METALGIANT
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 296
Join date : 2012-05-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by Follower of Jesus on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:11 pm

I don't pay a lot of attention to lyrics beyond making sure that they're not evil. But often times, and on the "Angel on the Run" album, I can't understand half of what they're saying anyway. However, I still can pick up a good bit and can sing along with it. If its in another language, I can't possibly do that. So, I may be missing on some great metal, but IMO the band is missing out on far more album sales by sticking to making records in such an obscure language. The whole world buys English albums. Czecks and few other Europeans will be a Czeck album.
avatar
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1322
Join date : 2012-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by METALGIANT on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:51 pm

First the whole world does not speak English even if most of the releases are maybe in English.
We as kids listened to music even if we could not understand the lyrics, we simply did not understand English back then.
As for KREYSON, they have a large following in their home country and the US market, to be honest, has almost no meaning for traditional Metal anyway. The big sales are still in Europe and Asia especially when it comes to CD`s.
BTW another thing, the Spanish speaking music scene is maybe at least as big as the English one. If your argument would be true why French, Spanish and even German singing artists had big hits outside their home countries? What about RAMMSTEIN, why they are successful in the whole world? BTW in general in many non English speaking countries the local music is very successful and dominates the Charts. I realized especially with South American bands that it is so much better if the continue to sing in their own language because they simply are not good enough in English to write songs in this language, they can not feel in the language and this often destroys their songs.

METALGIANT
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 296
Join date : 2012-05-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by Thiago-Brazil on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:48 pm

To be honest, I still have some problems to understand the english language, but I don't know why, that's my favorite language to listen to, mainly talking about metal. I couldn't listen to any kreyson song in their native language. I actually don't even like to hear metal in portuguese, my native idiom.
avatar
Thiago-Brazil
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1462
Join date : 2012-03-12
Age : 30
Location : São Paulo - Brazil

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by Garrison4JC on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:57 pm

I prefer the bands/artists sing in their own language. The presentation of the lyrical content comes across far more personal and the flow is not distorted in any way when done in their home tongue, in my opinion.

I only speak (fluently, at least) in English, Spanish and Irish (Gaelic). However, I am still very much capable of enjoying lyrics in other languages. Smile

I enjoy Kreyson in both languages and have most of their albums.
avatar
Garrison4JC
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 665
Join date : 2012-02-01
Age : 45
Location : Bakersfield, CA USA

http://roxxproductions.com/tmmweekly/

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by Follower of Jesus on Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:55 pm

METALGIANT wrote:First the whole world does not speak English even if most of the releases are maybe in English.
We as kids listened to music even if we could not understand the lyrics, we simply did not understand English back then.
As for KREYSON, they have a large following in their home country and the US market, to be honest, has almost no meaning for traditional Metal anyway. The big sales are still in Europe and Asia especially when it comes to CD`s.
BTW another thing, the Spanish speaking music scene is maybe at least as big as the English one. If your argument would be true why French, Spanish and even German singing artists had big hits outside their home countries? What about RAMMSTEIN, why they are successful in the whole world? BTW in general in many non English speaking countries the local music is very successful and dominates the Charts. I realized especially with South American bands that it is so much better if the continue to sing in their own language because they simply are not good enough in English to write songs in this language, they can not feel in the language and this often destroys their songs.

Mercy. Did I hit a nerve or something? I find it funny that you admit most releases are in English. Why do you suppose that is?

Did I say the whole world speaks English? And in metal, um, NO, the Spanish market isn't 1/10th of the English market. Don't react emotionally as if I'm attacking your country. I don't have an English superiority complex. But as you admitted, most releases, including all the biggest and most successful metal acts in Europe, are all in English. Why did Kreyson and HB even bother with English albums? Because they knew that they would reach a far wider audience, that's why.

If a band wants to sing in their native tongue, go for it. I'm not condemning. But its simply an undeniable fact that if a metal band wants to reach a wider audience, they sing in English. I admire a band that says, "screw the audience and sales...we want to sing in our own tongue". But while I admire their stand, I won't buy their record because I can't understand a word of it.
avatar
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1322
Join date : 2012-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by Staybrite on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:14 pm

Follower of Jesus wrote:
If a band wants to sing in their native tongue, go for it. I'm not condemning. But its simply an undeniable fact that if a metal band wants to reach a wider audience, they sing in English. I admire a band that says, "screw the audience and sales...we want to sing in our own tongue". But while I admire their stand, I won't buy their record because I can't understand a word of it.

Completely agree with that.
avatar
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 2493
Join date : 2012-02-01
Age : 50
Location : Seattle/Tacoma

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by My Awesome Timothy on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:16 pm

Staybrite wrote:
Follower of Jesus wrote:
If a band wants to sing in their native tongue, go for it. I'm not condemning. But its simply an undeniable fact that if a metal band wants to reach a wider audience, they sing in English. I admire a band that says, "screw the audience and sales...we want to sing in our own tongue". But while I admire their stand, I won't buy their record because I can't understand a word of it.

Completely agree with that.

Ditto!
avatar
My Awesome Timothy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1361
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : England

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by METALGIANT on Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:41 am

Sometimes it is not simple "if they want". English is not easy to learn for everyone and even if you can speak it if you want to write a good song in English you have to be able to express your feelings and that is a really hard task. Another thing is, there is a certain perfection expected, so many times if bands are making funny sounding lyrics because they are not so good in the language they got judged for it and this also does not necessary leads to success. I am just saying give Bands a chance even if they do not sing in English. For example there is a band called MINEA, they are from Finland and one of the best christian Hard Rock Bands out there (they sound like JERUSALEM in the best days) but they sing in Finish.

Another thing is, singing in your native language does not have to stop your international career their are several examples of bands who are really successful also in the USA although they are singing in their own language beside RAMMSTEIN for example DIR EN GREY from Japan.

I also found out that especially in Japan there are bands who maybe none knows in the US but have sold Millions of records in Asia alone, these bands would be maybe loose the local market if they start singing in English.

Or also Russia a band like ARIJA who are around for over 25 years now and who are still big in the former Sowjetunion Countries (they just did a collaboration with Udo Dirkschneider (Ex-ACCEPT). There songs are killer!!!

So for me a good song is a good song if I understand the lyrics or not.
Of course everyone has the right to listen the music and languages her/he wants but I repeat myself you will miss some great music.

Just want to end this whole discussion with: "Give the last two KREYSON albums a chance!"
BTW I would not call KREYSON a christian band but they appeared in HEAVENS METAL back in the days.



METALGIANT
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 296
Join date : 2012-05-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by unworthy on Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:47 am

I don't listen to music merely for "great music" but also for "great lyrics" .. so as far as I'm concerned if I cannot understand it I cannot appreciate it very much because half the equation is missing.
avatar
unworthy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1025
Join date : 2013-01-14
Age : 39
Location : Arcanum, OH

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by METALGIANT on Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:56 am

Yep I understand unworthy but what if you did not grow up in a for example English speaking country? And what if you nearly can`t find any music in your native language that you like?
That is how I started I guessed that the lyrics where o.k..
So it is also a question of the situation you are in.

METALGIANT
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 296
Join date : 2012-05-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by Thiago-Brazil on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:34 pm

Well, I've tried some songs in their native language and it didn't work. And I'm not sure if it works in my native language, the portuguese. That's why 90% of brazilian bands sing in english.

I only enjoy some eterna songs in portuguese and metal nobre, which is a hard'n'heavy band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgzeTYZDxLI

avatar
Thiago-Brazil
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1462
Join date : 2012-03-12
Age : 30
Location : São Paulo - Brazil

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by METALGIANT on Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:06 am

Honestly Thiago, I always realized that many Brazilian bands in general can not compete with American or European bands. Often they simply try to copy other bands and I also realized as soon as they are trying to write English songs the quality and the songwriting is getting bad. Sorry it is a fact if your are not comfortable with a language how can you write good songs in it and how can the singer do his job well? TERAPON is a good example, they had some killer songs in Portuguese and then they came up with their album in English it was just o.k..

I only know a few Brazilian Power- and Melodic Metal bands who can handle English lyrics (with Thrash, Death and Black it is different).
ETERNA are great in both languages but beside ETERNA there is not much, (maybe only DYNASTY) and even ETERNA are pretty much unknown in the rest of the world because they have no international record deal.

As for Portuguese, METAL NOBRE yes, OFICINA G3, STAUROS (I think their two English albums were not really good especially because of the new singer).....

METALGIANT
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 296
Join date : 2012-05-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by Thiago-Brazil on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:56 pm

METALGIANT wrote:Honestly Thiago, I always realized that many Brazilian bands in general can not compete with American or European bands.
I agree with it, but I wouldn't say that the main reason is the language, although I have to say that only a few people in Brazil could write good lyrics in english, because we don't learn a second language during our childhood, different from the richest countries.
avatar
Thiago-Brazil
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1462
Join date : 2012-03-12
Age : 30
Location : São Paulo - Brazil

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by Dillonkmh on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:11 pm

Love their music... and yes they do sound a bit like Saxon somewhat in my opinon. They are very underated to I believe!
avatar
Dillonkmh
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Posts : 14
Join date : 2013-03-07
Age : 54
Location : Des Moines, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by alldatndensum on Wed May 01, 2013 8:25 am

I listened to the 20 Years album yesterday. Good stuff! I like the updated version better. I had the originals and sold them. I hated the drums and the mix just seemed off. There were also some filler songs. The updated version fixed that for me.
avatar
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Posts : 4820
Join date : 2012-02-06
Age : 49
Location : Tennessee

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by Kerrick on Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:12 pm

I'm necromancing this thread...   Twisted Evil

First off, Kreyson has become one of my favorite and most listened-to bands.  (Part of their charm for me is that they sing in Czech.)  Though I was looking at the lyrics posted on the Metal Archives for their first two albums and then listening to the 20 Years Of Kreyson album on youtube* and noticed that the lyrics are completely different...  The 20 Years... album is very explicitly and up-front Christian, though it'd seem the original versions of these songs are more secular (still clean though).  Does anyone know what's up with that?  It's great that they changed the lyrics to be "more Christian" though I'm very curious what the history of it all is.

*I haven't bought it since I have the original versions which I like just fine, though now I'm considering maybe I should pick it up...

Example:

Here are the lyrics listed on the Metal Archives for their song Kreyson:

Kreyson (according to the M.A.) wrote:Relentless town - in the haze of the night
Running around - their eyes dissatisfied

Spidergod Kreyson thought out an evil plan
Creating baby beasts and spreading them around

He called his breeding the 'Spider of luck'
He knew that people couldn't get enough

After a while you could see them growing
The reign of terror - it started now

OOH KREYSON - like the devil
OOH KREYSON - lost forever?

Without defence - under cover of night
The spiderhost captured the land

With a good grace they followed their god
The human race was drowned in blood

Only a few got ready to fight
Roving about like ancient knights

The fairly brave got no respite
And since that time nothing has changed

Once in a while it seems like a nightmare
Maybe this war will end up never

OOH KREYSON - like the devil
OOH KREYSON - lost forever?

(Repeat Chorus)

And here's the version from 20 Years Of Kreyson:



The other songs all seem quite different too.  Anyone know why?

_________________
Job 3:2
avatar
Kerrick
Tyrant
Tyrant

Posts : 8053
Join date : 2012-06-26
Age : 31
Location : Hayden, ID

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by Thiago-Brazil on Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:24 pm

Good Question.

I have the 20 years of Kreyson version and I wasn't aware of the previous version.
The lyrics apparently are completely different.

Once I saw on Youtube the song I've known as "Endure the Night" and it had different lyrics as well.
That video featured a girl on vocals, too. Doro, If I am not mistaken.

So, it means they have the czech version, english version and a christian version of some songs? Very creative.

Who have released the 20 years versions? I guess it was roxx productions. We should reach out and talk to him. 
Let us know if anyone is doing it...
avatar
Thiago-Brazil
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1462
Join date : 2012-03-12
Age : 30
Location : São Paulo - Brazil

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by Kerrick on Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:39 pm

The 20 Years Of Kreyson was released by Retroactive.  I wonder if the Ulterium re-releases of the first two albums have these lyrics...  I'll check on youtube.  Smile

EDIT: looks like the Ulterium reissues are the older lyrics listed on the M.A.

_________________
Job 3:2
avatar
Kerrick
Tyrant
Tyrant

Posts : 8053
Join date : 2012-06-26
Age : 31
Location : Hayden, ID

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by Kerrick on Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:30 pm

Thiago-Brazil wrote:Who have released the 20 years versions? I guess it was roxx productions. We should reach out and talk to him. 
Let us know if anyone is doing it...

I posted on Retroactive Records' facebook page and will let you know what I hear back.  Smile

_________________
Job 3:2
avatar
Kerrick
Tyrant
Tyrant

Posts : 8053
Join date : 2012-06-26
Age : 31
Location : Hayden, ID

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by eatbugs on Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:55 pm

Kerrick wrote:I'm necromancing this thread...   Twisted Evil 

Wow.  What is the record for the oldest active thread?

I have Crusaders.  I used to listen to it A LOT but for some reason I never tracked down anything else by them.  I'm not even sure how easy it is to find anything else by them.

I'm glad to see a band becoming more Christian instead of less so.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1360
Join date : 2012-08-28
Location : Michigan

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by Kerrick on Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:13 pm

Ha, I'm not sure what the record is... but this is probably close!

Crusaders is a fantastic album.  Their latest, Navrat Krale is probably my favorite, with Crusaders coming in at a close second.  Ulterium re-released their first two albums (Angel On The Run and Crusaders) and you can get those very easily and not break the bank doing so.  Navrat Krale isn't too difficult to get either.  I bought the Czech versions of their first three albums and Navrat Krale while I was visiting family in Slovakia.   Cool  What I haven't been able to track down for a decent price is their fourth album, Zakon Dzungle... which is currently probably my #1 most sought-after album on my want-list.

And yeah, typically bands seem to move away from bold Christian lyrics, so it's quite refreshing to see a great band getting bolder with their lyrics.

_________________
Job 3:2
avatar
Kerrick
Tyrant
Tyrant

Posts : 8053
Join date : 2012-06-26
Age : 31
Location : Hayden, ID

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyson

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum