The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question for starting a Christian sludge band (in Spokane, WA): need to choose a bass

+3
Ariel,seekeroftruth
dreadchampion13
Puritan Hessian
7 posters

Go down

Question for starting a Christian sludge band (in Spokane, WA): need to choose a bass Empty Question for starting a Christian sludge band (in Spokane, WA): need to choose a bass

Post by Puritan Hessian Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:40 am

Dear brothers-in-Christ, greetings

I needed advice on choosing a good bass instrument. I'm wondering if the brand makes a difference, or if it's all about making it sound good (choosing the right amp & guitar pedals / effects processors); all I know is that Squire is scorned.

I shall begin an internet search to find out, but any professional help would be much appreciated.
My girlfriend is gonna be the drummer. Wink We already have a vision of what we want to do (and also a band name), all we need is someone to play some DOOM on guitar!

Last edited by bautistacabreraivars on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : nada)
Puritan Hessian
Puritan Hessian
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

http://faithandheritage.com/2011/05/folk-metal/

Back to top Go down

Question for starting a Christian sludge band (in Spokane, WA): need to choose a bass Empty Re: Question for starting a Christian sludge band (in Spokane, WA): need to choose a bass

Post by dreadchampion13 Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:21 pm

Well, you can always start with an inexpensive Squier or an Ibanez bass. We're fortunate in that a lot of the basses that have been made overseas are really getting good at making instruments. Most of the bass tones (outside of effects, of course) you're looking for come from just cranking it up.
dreadchampion13
dreadchampion13
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Question for starting a Christian sludge band (in Spokane, WA): need to choose a bass Empty Re: Question for starting a Christian sludge band (in Spokane, WA): need to choose a bass

Post by Ariel,seekeroftruth Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:05 pm

If I was closer I would offer my services as a guitarist. But sadly I am residing in the other side of washington.
Ariel,seekeroftruth
Ariel,seekeroftruth
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariel,seekeroftruth Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:14 pm

I have three recommendations on buying a bass.

1. Ibanez. I swear by this brand, they have very good budget basses.
2. Used fender mexican jazz bass. for about $300 you can buy a used mexican Fender jazz bass.
3. Rondo music has some great basses (and guitars) for dirt cheap (under 2 or 3 hundred). I once doubted this site, but many people here swear by them.

Last edited by Ariel,seekeroftruth on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ariel,seekeroftruth
Ariel,seekeroftruth
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by nuclearwoods Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:05 pm

A few off the top of my head for the budget in mind that I've personally used over the last few years, you can get them from $300 new to less used.

1. Ibanez, I started out on many of these. I still own a Soundgear SR505 and Ergodyne EDB400 and they are such a great instrument for the price.

2. Fender Squire Vintage Modified Jazz, these are sick regardless of the Squire name. I played a few at guitar center a few years back and they have incredible tone for the price, duncan designed pickups. I've seen a few bands use them and I've been impressed.

3. Peavey, really good basses for the price. Really nice build quality and should last for years. Both the Millennium and the Grind are really nice looking.
nuclearwoods
nuclearwoods
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:20 pm

3. Rondo music has some great basses (and guitars) for dirt cheap (under
2 or 3 hundred). I once doubted this site, but many people here swear
buy them.

I have both an SX and a Douglas guitar from Rondo and like them better than my name brand Epiphone. The Douglas guitar is a much better axe than the SX, so I would recommend Rondo's Douglas basses as well.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tobi Elektrik Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:00 am

Yeah, for heavy music I would also recommend an Ibanez, especially the SRX series.
Sludge, grunge, stoner bands pick very different brands and bass guitar shapes - so just choose what you like.
The more important question might be: What amp do you use ? Or: Do you want to use an overdrive / distortion pedal ?
Tobi Elektrik
Tobi Elektrik
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by _wes Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:41 pm

You can get really great basses on the cheap now. Quality is way up. Caveat - do yourself a couple favors - please!
Get something you like. Not your friends, you
Make sure it's comfortable to play, standing and sitting
Get a professional - not Sam ash to guitar center - set up. This will go a long way
Get some lessons. If you have bad form, you could injure yourself.

Congrats!! Have fun!!
_wes
_wes
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Location : Burke, VA - > Panama City, FL - > Montgomery, AL > Panama City FL (Lynn H aven) > DC > Dayton, OH > Huntsville, AL

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down