The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Emotional issues *update*

4 posters

Go down

Emotional issues *update* Empty Emotional issues *update*

Post by Guest Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:20 pm

I do not write this to start a debate, but rather to give you some background information on my life.

Warning, this may open a can of worms.

I grew up in a rather conservative community, where everyone that I knew was Christian. All my life I've been drawn to darker--not evil--things, but the people I knew called me evil because I liked the color black.

Two years ago I went to a music festival with my youth group, and there was a subcultural minestry tent where the message was to love all of God's people, no matter what subculture they were in. When I walked and started talking to the Goths, it just felt...right. Like I'd found a group of people who I could relate to. I actually felt like I belonged somewhere.

When I got home and told my parents about this (I was excited about the people I'd met) their first reaction was to tell me that I "might have been decieved by the devil." That comment, along with dirty looks and the reaction of someone I considered a good friend, caused me to try and shut down my interests, to try and fit the cookie-cutter mold of a "good Christian." Needless to say, I was miserable. Sadly, this feeling of having to hide what I like continued through high school, and even though I'm in college now, I'm still looking over my shoulder and worrying.

I'm tired of pretending to be someone I'm not. I feel like it's time to be myself and not be constantly in fear over what others think.

I will definitely be needing prayer for courage, so I can take steps forward in figuring this out, and not go back to being ashamed of how God made me.

Last edited by Singwhatyoucan'tsay on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:37 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Emotional issues *update* Empty Re: Emotional issues *update*

Post by Guest Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:31 pm

Been there. Done that. Worry only about pleasing Jesus Christ, and conform only to what you feel He has led you to do and how to live. IMO, there's no such thing as a "good Christian". Put us under the microscope, and we are just as grimy and dirty as those who don't know Christ.

Sorry about my lengthy response. Said a prayer for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:48 pm

I'm back to looking over my shoulder and worrying constantly, that was not what I wanted.

I've spent the past day crying...I finally worked up the courage to tell my parents I'm interested in the Gothic subculture...let's just say their reaction was not positive.

I know that the Bible says "honnor your father and mother," and I'm willing to tone my appearence down out of respect for them. I just feel so angry and hopeless right now, like I've been rejected without getting to explain that I am not entering this culture out of rebellion but rather because it makes me happy.

Continue to pray for me, I have no idea what to do now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Through The Dark Radio Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:55 pm

Sorry to hear that. Will definitely keep praying.
Through The Dark Radio
Through The Dark Radio
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:55 pm

Thanks for the prayers. I wrote a letter explaining why I am drawn to this culture and gave them website links to sites that show goth from a Christian persepective, such as www.christiangoth.com.

I did some googeling myself...it turns out that when you Google "Gothic subculture" one of the first sites that pops up is godhatesgoths; that website does nothing but makes me angry and leave me in tears.

Thank God for my friends, they have been a blessing these past days; they've been patient, have given me advice and have listened to my rants. They've allowed me to be an emotional wreck without critisizing me.

I'm going home for Easter break, and I'm nervous. Pray for courage and wisdom, and that I know both when to speak and when to keep my mouth shut.

--Bridget

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:09 pm

Praying, Bridget.

btw, I dress in black too. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:15 am

God sees the heart not the dress. God hears the words not the volume, speed, or genre. etc.

People who are ignorant are those who cause the most damage.

I still would recommend a good counseling service, they might be able to help you learn more about how to live in the proper balance between being who God wants you to be (submitting yourself to God's law and desire, etc) and who He created You to be (all those characteristics that make you unique). If you listen to the wrong voices they will simply give you a list of "thou shalt not" manmade rules whereby they make christian to be a social club with dress codes and a necessary vernacular.

Proper godly counsel can do wonders for how you view yourself and how you view those who are blinded by their ignorance, hatred, and misguided view of Who God is. When you understand what real love is and you have had even a small taste of the goodness of God, a lot of these other things fade away into meaninglessness. The only opinions that matter are yours and, most importantly, God's.

God made you the way He did for a particular purpose and reason. There is something that God will accomplish in you and through you. Just trust in Him... He loves you unconditionally and accepts you no matter what. As the Scripture says "cast all your cares on Him for He careth for you."

I will keep you in my prayers. Be sure to let us know if there is anything we can do for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:44 pm

My weekend home went well.

unworthy wrote:I still would recommend a good counseling service, they might be able to help you learn more about how to live in the proper balance between being who God wants you to be (submitting yourself to God's law and desire, etc) and who He created You to be (all those characteristics that make you unique). If you listen to the wrong voices they will simply give you a list of "thou shalt not" manmade rules whereby they make christian to be a social club with dress codes and a necessary vernacular.

Unworthy, I think that's what I need. During my llfe, it's been implied that if you submit to God you have to give up everything that makes you interesting and unique, which is why I start panicking when I hear "submit to God." I also need counseling because of issues concerning bullying that I went through in elementry and middle school--I thought I'd moved on, but those words still ring in my ears many years later.

Back to top Go down

Post by my perception Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:14 am

Im glad your weekend went well. Know that God loves you and that you have friends here.

I'm kind of different myself and being different is not a negative God can use that for His perfect will. That being said last year I spent time in a sound production class, I was met with negativity towards God and not overly feel good environment, just dont let anyone bring you down. This happend to an alternative friend of mine she was trying to bring those around her up instead I think she was brought down. She's going well. In short what I'm trying to say is, down let this world smother your light and we love you

my perception
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:34 pm

I have a meeting with a counseler in half an hour. Pray that it goes well. Despite how much I talk on CMR, I am actually a very shy person until you get to know me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:36 pm

praying

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:08 pm

Thanks, it went well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariel,seekeroftruth Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:37 pm

I thought I should let you know that the site godhatesgoths is a joke, a joke in poor taste, but still a joke.
Ariel,seekeroftruth
Ariel,seekeroftruth
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:11 pm

I know it's a joke. Even with this knowlege, I still don't find it funny.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariel,seekeroftruth Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:33 pm

Very true, it is definitely not funny.
Ariel,seekeroftruth
Ariel,seekeroftruth
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by nerf_herder4444 Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:18 pm

Ariel,seekeroftruth wrote:I thought I should let you know that the site godhatesgoths is a joke, a joke in poor taste, but still a joke.
technically anything that says "god hates" is wrong, because God loves everybody, he might be dissapointed with people, but he doesnt hate.
nerf_herder4444
nerf_herder4444
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down