The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Venturing into more extreme-ish metal territory lately. Any suggestions?

+3
Kerrick
Markus1987
Andreas89
7 posters

Go down

Venturing into more extreme-ish metal territory lately. Any suggestions? Empty Venturing into more extreme-ish metal territory lately. Any suggestions?

Post by Andreas89 Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:32 am

...and I'm still quite picky. I'm heavily biased towards more atmospheric/folky stuff with a good amount of clean (male) vocals in it. So nothing too rough around the edges, I don't mind polished music. On the other hand, I also like a good amount of speed from time to time.

I don't know guys, maybe it's the season, maybe I'm getting influenced by my co-admin at a facebook page about epic sounding metal. Either way, my tolerance for non-melodic vocals has gone up, and that opened the door to a lot of music that also contains lower register singing, something that I like a lot actually (so what am I doing listening to power metal? Razz )

To give you an idea of what would fall within this definition, here's some bands to refer to.
Ensiferum, Wintersun, Turisas, Valhalore, Finsterforst, Orphaned Land (especially Mabool and ORwarriOR), Wilderun, Amporphis, Epta Astera.
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Venturing into more extreme-ish metal territory lately. Any suggestions? Empty Re: Venturing into more extreme-ish metal territory lately. Any suggestions?

Post by Markus1987 Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:24 am

There's a lot of bands for you to check out, man. I just put this one song from Segor, a vocalist from the Armenian band Blood Covenant.  I've found a lot of bands by checking Nordic Mission's website, and then went to Youtube and checked how this and this sounds Smile .  I'm very much in a mission to find new extreme metal all the time.

I know these maybe don't fall to your definition, but there's some bands for you:

Renascent
Antestor
Grave Declaration
Crimsom Moonlight
Pantokrator
Segor
Blood Covenant
Miseration
Melech
Markus1987
Markus1987
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Venturing into more extreme-ish metal territory lately. Any suggestions? Empty Re: Venturing into more extreme-ish metal territory lately. Any suggestions?

Post by Andreas89 Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:44 am

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll dive into them as soon as I can be on this forum and not at work at the same time. Sounds bad, I know Razz
Andreas89
Andreas89

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:23 pm

Those are some great bands listed above though most of those don't have much/any clean vocals.  If you're looking for bands with more of a combo, a few I'd recommend are:

Far Beyond (not a Christian band but I believe the main guy is a Christian)
(Also check out his other projects Euphoreon and Ecthirion)

The Autumn League (Christian band with very good lyrics IMO)

Vardoger (Christian band)

Hesychast (Christian band)

Kauan (secular, but clean)

Morphia (some Christian members I believe)

Anyways, those are a few to start with that I think you may like.  Smile  Enjoy!

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:45 pm

Some great suggestions.  Vardoger and Grave Declaration are excellent.  I also like Arvinger, Hilastherion, and They Wither.  

Here are a few recommends for when you have some time.   They are very much on the folk side of things, but you might like them if you're in the right mood:

Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:40 pm

Might check out Immortal Souls, they kind of remind me of Ensiferum. Also, check out Myrath, not Christian but have some interesting lyrics.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Snert I Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:44 pm

I'm also pretty picky when it comes to extreme metal. First to all: At least the music has to be melodic - and I love folk or symphonic/classical influences! Then the vocals can still ruin it for me. Since Amorphis' "Tales from the thousand lakes" I can enjoy growling vocals. I would call Amorphis  my favorite secular metal band now. A good amount of good clean vocals can help me being able to listen to more than three to four songs with harsh vocals in a row.

So here are some suggestions not mentioned before:

This is from our fellow countrymen "Equilibrium" - no clean vocals here though...

Illuminandi is a christian band from Poland - many lyrics are in polish though (but since you said you don't mind polished music Laughing ...):

Haggard is a secular band combining death metal with chamber music:

Snert I
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:12 am

Kerrick wrote:Those are some great bands listed above though most of those don't have much/any clean vocals.  If you're looking for bands with more of a combo, a few I'd recommend are:

[youtube videos]
Thanks for the suggestions! I already own A Frozen Flame of Ice. Great winter album so to speak. Gotta check out the others of course.
Andreas89
Andreas89

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:15 am

Constantine wrote:Some great suggestions.  Vardoger and Grave Declaration are excellent.  I also like Arvinger, Hilastherion, and They Wither.  

Here are a few recommends for when you have some time.   They are very much on the folk side of things, but you might like them if you're in the right mood:
[youtube videos]
Those sounded quite nice, at least the parts that I clicked through Razz Gotta listen to them in a more relaxed way, but now I know it might be worth it. Thanks!
Andreas89
Andreas89

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:18 am

Black Rider wrote:Might check out Immortal Souls, they kind of remind me of Ensiferum. Also, check out Myrath, not Christian but have some interesting lyrics.
Fascinating, thanks for the suggestion. I know Myrath already by the way, they're more like a power metal version of Orphaned Land. My wife considers Myrath an inferior version of them Razz
Andreas89
Andreas89

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:34 am

Snert I wrote:I'm also pretty picky when it comes to extreme metal. First to all: At least the music has to be melodic - and I love folk or symphonic/classical influences! Then the vocals can still ruin it for me. Since Amorphis' "Tales from the thousand lakes" I can enjoy growling vocals. I would call Amorphis  my favorite secular metal band now. A good amount of good clean vocals can help me being able to listen to more than three to four songs with harsh vocals in a row.

So here are some suggestions not mentioned before:

This is from our fellow countrymen "Equilibrium" - no clean vocals here though...

Illuminandi is a christian band from Poland - many lyrics are in polish though (but since you said you don't mind polished music Laughing ...):

Haggard is a secular band combining death metal with chamber music:
[cut out the youtube videos again]
Now there's some great suggestions actually, thanks! I know that Equilibrium didn't do cleans at the time of Sagas. I just might buy that album if it's ever on discount, purely because of Mana. I'm not German by the way, just living here Razz I speak German of course. So the lyrics make sense when I can hear the words.

Illumandi sounds pretty nice. I used to check out Haggard way back in the day. One of those bands for me to reconsider...
Andreas89
Andreas89

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:47 pm

I’m the same way, I’m very picky regarding extreme metal. Have you given melodic death metal a chance? In Flames - Jester Race and Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery are ones I recommend. Schaliach - Sonrise is a Christian melodeath album from the guitarist of Extol. Just as good as those two and the same timeframe of 1995-1996! Pretty rare to find Christian bands at the cutting edge.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:13 am

Dark Tranquillity are the masters of that style and Early In Flames is very good.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Snert I Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:26 am

I have to resurrect this thread since an one-man-project from Germany you might like didn't come to my mind in December: Nahtram

Vocals should not be a problem - there are none Smile It's all instrumental (besides some choir sounds).

And here is another song as a guitar playthrough:

Snert I
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Markus1987 Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:52 pm

Snert I wrote:I have to resurrect this thread since an one-man-project from Germany you might like didn't come to my mind in December: Nahtram

Vocals should not be a problem - there are none Smile It's all instrumental (besides some choir sounds)
Listening to this right now, and I like it a lot Smile
Markus1987
Markus1987
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:48 am

Snert I wrote:I have to resurrect this thread since an one-man-project from Germany you might like didn't come to my mind in December: Nahtram

Vocals should not be a problem - there are none Smile It's all instrumental (besides some choir sounds).
You mean my #1 album from 2018? Yes I know about them, I had been pushing the good man to release it on CD and he complied Very Happy

I think there's some exchange from 2018 between me and Kerrick to find in either the Now Playing thread or Recent Purchases.

Still a fantastic album!
Andreas89
Andreas89

Back to top Go down

Post by Snert I Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:12 am

Very Happy Not sure, how I found about Nathram - maybe it was by your discussion back then...

I didn't buy the digital album though I liked the music a lot. Thanks to your intervention I now was able to buy a CD Thumbs up

Markus 1987 and for whom else it may concern: Nahtram is giving the digital album away for the price you are willing to pay at bandcamp (no minimum, though the music definately deserves to be paid for).

Last edited by Snert I on Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Snert I
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Snert I Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:21 am

Kerrick wrote:

Kerrick, thanks for mentioning Far Beyond, they (or "he") sound great!

Snert I
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down