The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Albums similar to "Parallels" by Fates Warning?

3 posters

Go down

Albums similar to "Parallels" by Fates Warning? Empty Albums similar to "Parallels" by Fates Warning?

Post by Constantine Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:04 pm

I really like the "Parallels" album by Fates Warning.   I was trying today to find albums with a similar (lighter) sound and style, but nothing quite fit the bill.  Does anyone have any recommendations for a well-crafted album that is very similar to "Parallels" in terms of tone, melodic structures, textures, etc.?
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

Albums similar to "Parallels" by Fates Warning? Empty Re: Albums similar to "Parallels" by Fates Warning?

Post by Superjuice Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:37 am

Hmphf, that's a tough one.  Terry Brown at the sound board there - hard to reproduce.

Soulful vocals, some heavy riffs, somber tones, but still hot rockin' here and there.  Smooth, well-blended over-all sound. 

I'm coming up short, but this Lethal song is kinda in the right direction:

Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Albums similar to "Parallels" by Fates Warning? Empty Re: Albums similar to "Parallels" by Fates Warning?

Post by Constantine Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:53 pm

Yeah, this is a very tough one!   Thanks for giving it a go.   Your summary description of Parallels was so spot on.  Yes, I am very familiar with the Lethal album and it's actually a pretty good choice.

It amazes me that so many Fates Warning fans rag on the Parallels album for being too "commercial," I think it's their greatest masterpiece.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:17 pm

Defyance (most of their albums)
Awake - Spiritual Warfare
Queensryche - Empire
Power of Omens - Eyes of the Oracle
Adramelch - Broken History
Shadow Gallery
Redemption
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:40 pm

Now that I think about it, Riverside - Anno Domino High Definition is pretty close.  It crosses the mix of aggression and somberness that Parallels does.  They are more melancholy than Fates, since they're Polish, but the shoe fits.  Pink Floyd is a stronger influence on them than on Fates, but, hey, great music.

Disconnected is even more of a downer than this ironically, but that is not the album we are looking for a comparison.  Their other albums are quite a bit mellower thus I quit following them.  Love the Reality Dream trilogy instrumentals though.

There are plenty of other morose Progressive bands like Katatonia, Pain of Salvation, and Porcupine Tree, but I'm just not into that style of prog.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:58 pm

Thanks guys, I'm working my way through some of these recommends.   I'm familiar with most of them already, except for Awake and Adramelch.  Haven't heard much Defyance or Power Of Omens.   My friends are all into Riverside, so i checked one of their albums out, can't remember which one.  It was o.k.

Redemption - Really like their stuff with Ray, but it's a bit faster and heavier than what I'm looking for, for this purpose.

Katatonia - I thought 2016's "The Fall Of Hearts" was brilliant.  But yes, very somber.

Was never all that enamored with Porcupine Tree or Shadow Gallery.  

Haven's "Your Dying Day" has some material that sort of fits the bill...not as elegant as Fates Warning but still quite good.

Am listening to the Riverside now....
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:26 pm

Terry Brown produced this Voivod album the same year as Parallels.  It has a lot of the same production touches, but, obviously, Voivod is its own thing:

Here's another Terry Brown production that is decidedly more Rush-like in it's approach.  I consider it a minor 90's prog classic:

Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Superjuice likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:32 am

Good recommends.   For my ears, the closest "parallel" seems to be some of Magnitude 9's material, especially from the 2nd album ("Reality In Focus").

Check this out, this is very close to "Parallels" in tone, sound, and style:

Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Superjuice likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down