The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who Did It Best (Skid Row version)?

4 posters

Go down

Who did it best???

Who Did It Best (Skid Row version)? I_vote_lcap0%Who Did It Best (Skid Row version)? I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Who Did It Best (Skid Row version)? I_vote_lcap100%Who Did It Best (Skid Row version)? I_vote_rcap 100% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 7

Who Did It Best (Skid Row version)? Empty Who Did It Best (Skid Row version)?

Post by alldatndensum Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:43 am

We did this a few months back with all the KISS solo albums.  Now, let's take a look at Skid Row after the split with Bas!
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Who Did It Best (Skid Row version)? Empty Re: Who Did It Best (Skid Row version)?

Post by Xid Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:40 am

I didn't vote because I don't care for Bas' solo stuff that much and Skid Row without Bas just isn't Skid Row.
Xid
Xid
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://www.joshuascreed.com

Back to top Go down

Who Did It Best (Skid Row version)? Empty Re: Who Did It Best (Skid Row version)?

Post by Black Rider Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:55 am

Neither are great but there's some stuff with Bas solo I like, unlike Skid Row without him, it's boring.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:14 pm

I voted Bas Solo....but frankly neither of them can hold a candle to the band with Sebastian at the mic.  I find the Skid Row stuff without Bas just unrecognizable and almost instantly forgettable.  Most of Sebastian's solo stuff is just a pale shadow of what he used to be....not horrible, but just not that great IMO.

However, Tony Harnell was in Skid Row for about 5 minutes (back in 2015).  Not at all long enough to make an album with the band but they did a rerecord of "18 & Life" with Tony and it was promising (especially if you try not to compare it to the original...also remember that Tony is in his 50's for this recording).  It would have been cool to hear a whole album of new material with him singing.

Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:48 am

Maybe they should have changed the lyrics to this.

"Fifty & life--you got it...."
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:55 am

Tony might have worked, he has a great voice but we'll never know. Theart doesn't fit with them at all imo.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Xid Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:02 pm

Harnell did do a decent job on 18 & Life.  That's the thing with finding a new singer to replace the iconic original:  They have to stand on their own but be able to sing the older stuff with the ability to do it justice.
Xid
Xid
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:39 am

Xid wrote:Harnell did do a decent job on 18 & Life.  That's the thing with finding a new singer to replace the iconic original:  They have to stand on their own but be able to sing the older stuff with the ability to do it justice.

Surely they can hop on Youtube and find someone who sounds exactly like Bas like Journey did with their Korean singer!

lol!
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Xid Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:41 pm

lol!
As a listener, I don't want an exact copy because it's usually 2nd rate compared to the original.

You can always to what Creed did:  Disband and reform the original group with a new lead singer and call it Alter Bridge.
Xid
Xid
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:56 pm

Xid wrote:lol!
As a listener, I don't want an exact copy because it's usually 2nd rate compared to the original.

You can always to what Creed did:  Disband and reform the original group with a new lead singer and call it Alter Bridge.

That was a bold move by the guys in Creed, but I think they did it to kind of break away from their previous image.
I've heard one of the members of Skid Row in an interview (Rachael probably) and his attitude was that "Skid Row existed before they had Sebastian and it's going to exist without him." So I wouldn't expect them to change the band name.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Xid Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:22 am

Alter Bridge is what Creed was supposed to be.  Stapp held Tremonti back.  Alter Bridge allows Tremonti a lot more room.

The big problem with a lot of successful bands is that the success is based upon the sum of all parts.  Each member brings their touch that gels with the other members.  Skid Row has had 5 vocalists over the years.  Matt Fallon has a great voice, but he didn't have that extra "It Factor" that Sebastian has.  Listen to 18 & Life with Matt compared to Bas and it's night and day.  If Skid Row had proceeded with Matt, they would have just been another band.
Xid
Xid
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:07 am

Xid wrote:Alter Bridge is what Creed was supposed to be.  Stapp held Tremonti back.  Alter Bridge allows Tremonti a lot more room.

The big problem with a lot of successful bands is that the success is based upon the sum of all parts.  Each member brings their touch that gels with the other members.  Skid Row has had 5 vocalists over the years.  Matt Fallon has a great voice, but he didn't have that extra "It Factor" that Sebastian has.  Listen to 18 & Life with Matt compared to Bas and it's night and day.  If Skid Row had proceeded with Matt, they would have just been another band.

Agreed.  Metal 2
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:41 pm

I don't know if Stapp held Tremonti back, I think some of his best playing is still on that first Creed album. Maybe later albums with all the drama that started to follow them/Stapp it affected it some but mostly, the playing is there.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Xid Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:17 pm

Right out of the gate Tremonti wanted to do heavier music and Stapp didn't.  They still made some great music in Creed.  When you compare Alter Bridge to Creed, Alter Bridge is definitely heavier.
Xid
Xid
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:26 pm

But, AC/DC did just fine with a different singer.  Of course, Brian Johnson didn't come in trying to be Bon Scott.  Yes, he had to sing Bon's songs until "Back In Black" came out, but then he got to do his own thing there.  For them, a change of singer worked especially sing the original was dead.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Xid Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:33 pm

Brian Johnson is the prime example.  He came in, fit with AC/DC's style and is able to pull off the earlier classics without having to emulate Bon Scott.
Xid
Xid
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down