Wovenhand... Album Recommendations?

Go down

Wovenhand... Album Recommendations? Empty Wovenhand... Album Recommendations?

Post by /< on Tue May 21, 2019 7:02 pm

I'm beginning to get into a band called Wovenhand.  To anyone else who may be familiar with them, can you recommend a couple of good "starter" albums for a newbie?
/<
/<
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

https://www.reverbnation.com/narrowroadband

Back to top Go down

Wovenhand... Album Recommendations? Empty Re: Wovenhand... Album Recommendations?

Post by Kerrick on Wed May 22, 2019 8:03 am

Oh man, they're one of my favorite bands!  You're in for a treat.  They changed their sound somewhat drastically with The Laughing Stalk from "gothic americana" to more straight-up rock so be ready for that.

For their older stuff, I recommend starting with Consider The Birds and Mosaic.  Those two are probably my favorites of theirs and are a good representation of their older sound.  All three of their newer, rock albums are very good but my favorite of those is The Laughing Stalk.  It's not as heavy as Refractory Obdurate or Star Treatment but very good nonetheless.  They don't have a weak album IMO so you really can't go wrong.

Also check out David Eugene Edwards' past band 16 Horsepower.  Their earlier stuff have a couple swear-words though but also some very overtly Christian lyrics.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Wovenhand... Album Recommendations? Empty Re: Wovenhand... Album Recommendations?

Post by Black Rider on Wed May 22, 2019 10:22 am

I second Consider the Birds, the song, Down In Yon Forest is so good. Favorite album is Mosaic but they're all good.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by /< on Thu May 23, 2019 7:27 am

Thank you for the recommendations, Kerrick and Black Rider.  I'm really digging what I've been hearing from DEE and co. on YouTube.  I'm one who believes in purchasing something if I like what I'm hearing from an artist/band, of which I find much merit in Wovenhand and 16 Horsepower.  Thanks again!
/<
/<
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Thu May 23, 2019 8:08 am

Awesome!  I am glad you're enjoying his music too.  I've seen Wovenhand live three or so times now and they're really great.

If you're getting into 16HP too, I recommend their Live March 2001 as a great starting place.  Each album is fairly different than the last so you should really just buy 'em all haha.  Wink  I'd describe them as this:

Sackcloth 'n' Ashes - catchy, raw, gritty
Low Estate - a bit more polished and broader range of dark/solemn to upbeat rockers
Secret South - upbeat, more accessible, much more polished
Folklore - quite solemn, stripped-down/mostly-acoustic, brooding, dark

Their live/compilation albums Hoarse and Olden are both worth getting for big fans, but aren't must-buys if you have their others.  However, like I said, Live March 2001 is a masterpiece and if I could only have one 16HP album, it'd be that one.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by /< on Thu May 23, 2019 9:01 am

Very much appreciated with the album breakdowns, Kerrick.  This will give me a good point of reference.  I appreciate many genres of music and lately I'd been on a Vigilantes of Love (Bill Mallonee) kick (an old fave band in my collection).  I first came across the name 16 Horsepower while perusing some VOL info.  Looked 16 HP up which led me to Wovenhand.  Since WH is the most current DEE evolution I thought I'd start there.  I have become aware that the WH albums vary in musical delivery from the first eponymous album through Star Treatment.  So far, I've enjoyed what I've heard: from the more acoustic based to the almost doom-ish feel.  The deep lyrics, rich with Biblical allusion, have also captivated my attention.  Being as I'm late to the party, I will probably work on the WH material first then backtrack a bit into 16 HP territory.
/<
/<
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider on Thu May 23, 2019 10:16 am

I enjoy VOL quite a bit too. Ever listen to Bill's solo stuff?
Black Rider
Black Rider
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Thu May 23, 2019 10:21 am

I've never heard of VOL.  Is it a Christian project?

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by /< on Thu May 23, 2019 12:43 pm

Black Rider, very cool you like VOL.  Yes, indeed, I have Bill's Fetal Position, Locket Full of Moonlight, My Year in Review, Dear Life and Friendly Fire albums.  I know he's put out many more as well.  Good stuff!

Kerrick, VOL was a band circa 1990 till 2001 (and briefly again in 2008).  Much like 16 HP and WH is fronted by David Eugene Edwards, Vigilantes of Love was fronted and driven by Bill Mallonee.  The band was based out of Athens, GA.  Peter Buck of the band REM produced a bit of their material as did the late Mark Heard.  Their bassist, David Labruyere went on to play bass for John Mayer, and drummer Travis McNabb later played drums for Better Than Ezra and Sugarland.

VOL's music has been described as indie rock, alt-country, americana and college rock.  Bill Mallonee's lyrics are historically rich and filled with Biblical allusion.  I can't speak for him, but I have every reason to believe that Bill is a Christ-follower: the lyrics are very evident of this (without being "preachy").  In my humble opinion, Bill Mallonee is the best modern-day lyricist out there - as far as the many bands/artists my ears have heard (no way to hear every band out there).  I liken him to a modern-day Bob Dylan, back when Dylan was in his prime.  

Here's a link to a song called "Welcome to Struggleville"...

https://youtu.be/TugiCmGEaYk
/<
/<
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider on Thu May 23, 2019 3:44 pm

Saw him live in a dinky little club once, dry and wry but with a razor sharp wit. I think he's a believer, almost had an album distributed on a Christian label until they realized one of the songs was too Song of Solomon like.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by /< on Thu May 23, 2019 5:13 pm

Black Rider wrote:Saw him live in a dinky little club once, dry and wry but with a razor sharp wit. I think he's a believer, almost had an album distributed on a Christian label until they realized one of the songs was too Song of Solomon like.

Lol!  That's one of the things I appreciate so much about Bill/VOL: He simply tells it like it is.  You may be speaking about his song, "Love Cocoon"... Song of Solomon, indeed!  His earlier works had some "cussing" and salty words in them, too... but all was meted out to deliver a "point-well-taken" message.  I know some of his works were distributed by the late Mark Heard's label, Fingerprint.  Struggleville, Blister Soul and Slow Dark Train were on the Capricorn label: home of The Allman Brothers Band and Marshall Tucker Band, among others.  I have communicated with Bill before on a few occasions, and I'm strongly inclined to say he is a Christian... It's simply that I don't feel at liberty to comment on another individual's inner being.  I'll say it this way: He bears good fruit.
/<
/<
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider on Thu May 23, 2019 6:20 pm

Well, there's cussing and there's cussing, and yes, that's the song.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by /< on Fri May 24, 2019 5:19 am

I hope my comment above your last post didn't offend you, Black Rider... I certainly didn't mean to sound/be offensive.
/<
/<
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider on Fri May 24, 2019 8:05 am

Oh, not at all. I agree with you.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by /< on Fri May 24, 2019 11:19 am

Good deal, Black Rider, my friend.  I respect the fact that cuss words can be a touchy subject for some, with regard to artists expressing themselves via a Christian worldview.  I'm typically not a fan of cuss words, though strangely enough, I have always understood what Bill Mallonee was trying to convey within a song and have never been offended due to the context.  He's just a darn good songsmith!
/<
/<
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by /< on Fri May 24, 2019 7:54 pm

Kerrick and Black Rider, today I wound up purchasing a CD lot of Woven Hand's first eponymous album, along with Ten Stones and Blush Music.  I also picked up The Laughing Stalk.  The CD lot was too good of a deal to pass up.  I don't know much about Ten Stones and Blush Music... I hope those are good picks.  Thanks again to you both for chiming in with suggestions.  I'll keep those in mind for the future.
/<
/<
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider on Fri May 24, 2019 8:50 pm

I enjoy Ten Stones a lot, one of his more straightforward music adventures. Blush is weird, written as a kind of soundtrack to a dance performance.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Sun May 26, 2019 1:48 pm

/< wrote:Kerrick and Black Rider, today I wound up purchasing a CD lot of Woven Hand's first eponymous album, along with Ten Stones and Blush Music.  I also picked up The Laughing Stalk.  The CD lot was too good of a deal to pass up.  I don't know much about Ten Stones and Blush Music... I hope those are good picks.  Thanks again to you both for chiming in with suggestions.  I'll keep those in mind for the future.

BR hit the nail on the head with Ten Stones and Blush Music.  Honestly, I don't find myself listening to Ten Stones as much as his others, but it's still a good album.  Blush Music is more atmospheric and cohesive, whereas most of Wovenhand's albums are more song-oriented.  I really dig it.  The s/t album is fantastic and one of my favorites.  The Good Hand and Pail Blue Fever are two of my favorite songs of theirs.  Score on getting The Laughing Stalk on CD.  I had to order mine from Germany when it came out.

Enjoy and let us know what you think of them!

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by /< on Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:43 pm

Kerrick wrote:

Enjoy and let us know what you think of them!
I'm really diggin' the first album (which I'd heard on YouTube and initially got me hooked on WH).  Ten Stones is good, too.  I'd only gotten three songs into Blush before pressing matters pulled me away.  I'm thinking that will be more of a background music disc.  Still waiting for The Laughing Stalk to arrive, and I've since ordered Refractory Obdurate as well.
/<
/<
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th on Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:20 pm

I've only heard 3 albums by Wovenhand, but from what I heard I liked Blush the best. It's very interesting that it's essentially the same songs as the debut of Wovenhand but totally redone, droney and just totally not what I expected an "alt-country" album to sound. 

I like 16 Horsepower too of course. The debut and Secret South are the best of the four albums. I've also got their self-titled EP that I found for a buck, but I haven't heard it.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:47 am

/< wrote:I'm really diggin' the first album (which I'd heard on YouTube and initially got me hooked on WH).  Ten Stones is good, too.  I'd only gotten three songs into Blush before pressing matters pulled me away.  I'm thinking that will be more of a background music disc.  Still waiting for The Laughing Stalk to arrive, and I've since ordered Refractory Obdurate as well.

Nice!  Blush Music is sorta the odd duck in the collection, but I really like it a lot.  It would make fine background music, but there's a lot of depth to it too which makes it great for more focused listening too.  Smile

Friday13th wrote:I've only heard 3 albums by Wovenhand, but from what I heard I liked Blush the best. It's very interesting that it's essentially the same songs as the debut of Wovenhand but totally redone, droney and just totally not what I expected an "alt-country" album to sound. 

I like 16 Horsepower too of course. The debut and Secret South are the best of the four albums. I've also got their self-titled EP that I found for a buck, but I haven't heard it.

That's a good way of describing Blush Music; I'd agree!

Let me know what you think of 16HP's S/T EP.  That's the one CD that's missing from my collection (besides Yours Truly but that's just a compilation of tracks I mostly already have so no need...).

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th on Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:42 am

@Kerrick yeah, I just listened to the EP and it's very good! It sounds just like the Sackcloth.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum