The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your first Christian Metal/Hard Rock release that got you hooked

+44
L8T
Devon Hill
Sir Shred A Lot
Dustofyears
Bahana
Grindboy
average joe
Snert I
Hidgxx
BaleMaster
bgsully
TZ75
Constantine
Son of Nun
Friday13th
Livna
timekeeper
jaqual
Fundy
/<
Markus1987
metaldude
Kerrick
cailen
strangerhoncho
HenrikB
Andreas89
Follower of Jesus
Wigeon
Ammocas
Xid
Black Rider
Tombie
Nelson
alldatndensum
Hardcore Christian
arttieTHE1manparty
eatbugs
Soldier777
crucifyd
Temple of Blood
strype53
MikeInFla
mothy
48 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Your first Christian Metal/Hard Rock release that got you hooked - Page 3 Empty Re: Your first Christian Metal/Hard Rock release that got you hooked

Post by bgsully Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:54 am

I grew up on Jerusalem but what really snagged me was when my parents brought home my first very own album which was Bloodgood - Rock In A Hard Place.
bgsully
bgsully
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

https://faustianslip.bandcamp.com

Back to top Go down

Your first Christian Metal/Hard Rock release that got you hooked - Page 3 Empty Re: Your first Christian Metal/Hard Rock release that got you hooked

Post by BaleMaster Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:59 am

My first Christian album was Petra's Back to the Street, with Stryper's To Hell With the Devil getting me into Xian metal, circa 1987.
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hidgxx Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:45 pm

First album was John Schlitt's album Shake, than Petra's album Come join us. After that White heart, Guardian, Micheal Sweet and Bride
Hidgxx
Hidgxx
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Snert I Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:07 pm

I got mix tapes from friends with songs by Bloodgood, Tempest (A coming storm), Rage of Angels, Stryper...that was the beginning.
My first christian rock/hardrock album I owned was Allies' "Long way from paradise" on MC. Followed by my first christian rock/hardrock CD - Petra's "Captured in time & space". The first metal CD I bought was Tempest's "Eye of the storm" -  I was a little bit surprised by the look of the band in the inner cover:
Your first Christian Metal/Hard Rock release that got you hooked - Page 3 A-2870895-1447959163-2174.jpeg

I wasn't used to the glam look at that time... Laughing

Snert I
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by average joe Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:33 pm

Decade of Deliverance

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:04 pm

Does this count as "Hard Rock?"  In probably 4th grade or something, my dad asked my sister and me what kind of music we liked.  We said "Rock and roll, dad!"  We had no idea what "rock and roll" really meant, it was just what we thought was the cool thing to say.

So my father, concerned for his young children discovering Madonna and Michael Jackson on the radio (and probably having read total horror stories of Boy George!), on his next trip up to the city (that's Sioux Falls, SD), went to the Christian bookstore there.  He walked over to the music area, found an employee, and told them, "My kids say they like rock and roll. [Yes, he absolutely would have enunciated ever letter of the 'and.']  What do you have?"  The employee reached for Petra's "More Power to Ya" and said, "This one's number one right now."  He brought it home for us, and that was the start for me.

Does that count as hard rock?

If not, a couple years later when I got a fancy boom box with a cassette player (!!!) for my birthday, my first cassette was Stryper "To Hell with the Devil."

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:05 pm

Reading what Snert wrote makes me miss sharing music we'd discovered with friends. Yeah, the interwebz has made things easier but I think we've lost something.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:16 pm

Black Rider wrote:Reading what Snert wrote makes me miss sharing music we'd discovered with friends. Yeah, the interwebz has made things easier but I think we've lost something.

I would have to agree with this.  It feels so different now.  There's not as much of the shared joy of discovery anymore.  
Now when I post video clips or share them with friends, you don't know if anyone even paid attention unless you get a typed response.  You can't see their faces or reactions.  And there's so many sub-genres of sub-genres, I think most of us are also overwhelmed by choices of what to click on and what to spend time or money on..
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:30 am

Black Rider wrote:...the interwebz has made things easier but I think we've lost something.

going slightly off topic...

I've recently thought of this regarding record hunting...
there's nothing like happening upon that rarity, while just browsing, that you had no idea was there and no expectation of finding, in the bins of a record store or thrift store...

returning to topic...
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.crucifyd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bahana Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:33 am

A friend in High School made me a tape with a couple Tourniquet albums on it (STP/Psycho) in about 1993 and they've been one of my top Metal bands from then on. I've purchased nearly all their albums.
Bahana
Bahana
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:08 am

I agree Crucifyd, I miss those days of just browsing music stores. The net has isolated us in so many ways.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:04 pm

I thumbed through this guys christian record collection, he was a musician at some church. I came across two extraordinary album covers that had guitars in the form of spaceships and other cool things. I reckon you know the band. The first metal band, however, was an album called silence is madness from bride.

Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Shred A Lot Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:15 pm

At my church's youth group in 1985 they played Petra's "Beat the System" album before and after several of our gatherings, and I instantly loved what I heard. 

Right around that same time my cousin introduced me to Stryper's "Yellow and Black Attack" and "Soldiers..." albums. At first, those were a bit too heavy for me, and I preferred stuff like Petra, DeGarmo & Key, and White Heart. That would change after a year or two, when I got into metal/hard rock like Stryper, Bloodgood, and Whitecross.

I remember getting Whitecross' debut album the day my Christian bookstore got it in stock, and I played that cassette literally hundreds of times. It's still probably the album I've heard more than any other.

Sir Shred A Lot
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon Hill Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:19 am

I had just become a Christian and I was sad that there were no good Christian metal bands (or so I thought - I was completely unaware of the Christian metal scene at the time).  Somebody gave me a Solid State compilation CD, and for the most part I was not a fan of most of the songs on it.  However, it had one Extol song on it, which I thought was very good.

So I bought the Extol CD (Undeceived) and have loved it ever since.
Devon Hill
Devon Hill
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by L8T Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:37 pm

I had the blessing of going to a Christian college, now a  University.  My friends harangued me into going to concerts.  I saw Petra with more than one lead singer and a band, Degarmo and Key, that still moves me as-deep as the traditional hymns that I grew up on and Love. 

Stryper, THWTD was my first "hard" purchase....I bought it twice, on cassette  Razz, but that's TMI.... 

I remember going to a Rick Cua concert.  There was an older gentleman that said he was a DJ for Christian parties.  He pulled out of his sport jacket a copy of THWTD on Compact Disc......we were like the underwear scene, in the bathroom, of 16 Candles....

cheers

Last edited by L8T on Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : cause I LOVE tiny print....)
L8T
L8T
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:47 am

I've been wanting to respond to this for months but the story is always too complex. It's been a long ugly road for Christian music in my life.

Here's the briefest rundown I can give with short explanations:

Grew up in a Christian home on secular 80s hard rock with my older brother leading the way. Didn't know there was any Christian music until I was 11-12yrs old. The current pastor tried to introduce us to some of it. He played Whitecross "In The Kingdom" which we hated. Thought they were trying too hard to sound like the bands we liked Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Ratt, Poison, Europe, etc.

We were recommended Stryper. We hated Michael's wimpy, high-pitched vocals (along with singers like Joey Belladonna, Bruce Dickinson, Mike Howe from Metal Church it was hard when I was younger to get into high vocals). To get a picture, my favorite band for 15 years was Savatage and Jon Oliva's vocals are my thing still today.

Tourniquet - we had started listening to Megadeth, Metallica, Sepultura, and other harder bands and a "Christian" kid at school tried to get us listening to the Intense Live series stuff he had on the bus. Tourniquet was the first he gave us. I bought Pathogenic but with a few exceptions it was too progressive (not verse chorus verse chorus and cool parts didn't repeat) for my tastes at that point.

I bought Believer "Dimensions" around then also because I was getting into Cynic and Atheist, two notably more progressive extreme metal bands. Better but still a little too weird for me.

So, what was the first Christian album I truly loved and got me seeking more? 

Extol "Undeceived." Like Devon, it stuck out. By then I was listening to secular black metal and a lot of technical death metal and the album just nailed the technicality aspect and the darkness I was enjoying. I was not a Christian but this album would later on be a noted album in my journey toward the Lord and truly seeking Christian music.

BTW - I love all the bands above today. I just kept hearing albums in those bands' careers that just weren't the one for me to start with or were just a little ahead of me and my current tastes.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.center-cob.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:43 pm

crucifyd wrote:
Black Rider wrote:...the interwebz has made things easier but I think we've lost something.

going slightly off topic...

I've recently thought of this regarding record hunting...
there's nothing like happening upon that rarity, while just browsing, that you had no idea was there and no expectation of finding, in the bins of a record store or thrift store...

returning to topic...
Off-topic but.............

At least I can say I experienced this once

A few months back, I went with some friends around Spokane and browsed 4 or 5 record stores

Never been into any of them before and had no expectations, was just gonna buy some Maiden if they had some albums I didn't

The last store we stopped at I found an original copy of Messiah Prophet's Master Of The Metal

All-time classic album that I had never dreamed of owning, especially on vinyl, and boom there it was!
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckson Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:06 am

Temple of Blood wrote:Stryper - In God We Trust

Really???   Heavens... I was sooo freaking disappointed by that album :-)

I listened some christian rock/metal already, but the first song that really blew me away was Jehovah Jireh from Deliverance...

edit:   have to add.... It can be the other way around...
Got some compilation album with the number 'medicine' from X-Sinner on it. Did not like the song, though I liked the voice... It took months before I accidentily got my hands on the Get-It album...  To the days of now I still am puzzled why they took the worst song of the album to put on that compilation? The rest of that album was so freaking good...

Last edited by Tuckson on Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:17 am; edited 2 times in total

Tuckson
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckson Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:08 am

Black Rider wrote:Reading what Snert wrote makes me miss sharing music we'd discovered with friends. Yeah, the interwebz has made things easier but I think we've lost something.

Yes... absolutely... I remmber putting songs together on cassette from LP's for my girlfriend back then... Married almost 25 years now ;-)

Tuckson
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckson Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:14 am

Frozen Fire wrote:I've been wanting to respond to this for months but the story is always too complex. It's been a long ugly road for Christian music in my life.

Here's the briefest rundown I can give with short explanations:

Grew up in a Christian home on secular 80s hard rock with my older brother leading the way. Didn't know there was any Christian music until I was 11-12yrs old. The current pastor tried to introduce us to some of it. He played Whitecross "In The Kingdom" which we hated. Thought they were trying too hard to sound like the bands we liked Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Ratt, Poison, Europe, etc.

:-)   It's just one of the most heard criticisms, that the bands 'try to be as...'. Even RezBand got this label back in the earlier years. The funny thing that there are tons of non-christian bands that try to sound the same as their heros seems not important on that moment... I think it has little to do with the band and more with the reluctance of ppl to accept christian metal was and is just as good as non-christian stuff.

I think most christian bands just make the music they like. Just like non-christians.   
Glad you made it to the light side :-)

Tuckson
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:49 pm

I think you're right, lots of groups have influences in the secular world and people aren't offended. 
BTW, welcome Tuckson.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckson Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:37 am

Thnx :-)

Tuckson
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by bassdude Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:32 am

The first one my parents bought for me was Petra's Never Say Die...the one the got me hooked was Barren Cross Rock For The King.
bassdude
bassdude
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckson Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:19 am

bassdude wrote:The first one my parents bought for me was Petra's Never Say Die...the one the got me hooked was Barren Cross Rock For The King.
Ow... with 'ligth the flame'  One of the most beautiful rockballads I ever heard.

Tuckson
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by guitarhoops Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:31 pm

Wow, I was exposed to Christian Rock/Hard Rock/Metal from my dad. He saw I was listening to bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica, Testament and Megadeth. So he started bringing home records from the Christian book store in the early 80's. He bought the first albums of Saint, Bride, Bloodgood, Stryper and Rez. That got me hooked.
guitarhoops
guitarhoops
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

http://www.unforsaken.ca/Jon/launchpage.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3