The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Demon Hunter "War/Peace" Deluxe Edition Review

Go down

Demon Hunter "War/Peace" Deluxe Edition Review Empty Demon Hunter "War/Peace" Deluxe Edition Review

Post by Lex Metalis Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:35 pm

Demon Hunter "War/Peace" Deluxe Edition Review Dhwpde10

Demon Hunter - "War and Peace" (Deluxe Edition) (2019)
Solid State Records

Score: 9,0

It was a surprise when the american band Demon Hunter announced to their fans, in the end of last year, the releasing of, not one, but two new albums in 2019.

"War" and "Peace" were announced as separated albums, with distinct proposals between each other. The first one would be dedicated to a heavy and aggressive style and the second one would show a dramatic, melodic and soft side of the band. Did these proposals really work? That's what we'll see next. 

First I must say something that's not new. At each Deluxe edition released, Demon Hunter does something flashier than the previous editions, and this time we have a luxurious book with 80 pages, divided in two concepts, alternative arts and a well-designed cover. But let's talk about what we came here for: music! 

With a well established band formation since 2012, Demon Hunter is distancing itself from the aggressive and harsh metal we once knew, and it's being noticed at each new release. It is clear that since "Extremist" (2014), the band has been adding more and more melody to its compositions, but still going heavy, making the most aggressive songs sound more melodic and the softer ones have a heavy touch. Dichotomic? Maybe, but it's functional. 

Whoever was complaining about the lack of aggressiveness in Outlive (2017), will notice that the band did not lose their style, as many people say. "Cut To Fit" shows a new side of Ryan Clark, with scream vocals that may seem like a black metal vocalist were singing in a modern band. The first single of the album is "On My Side" and it got many fans surprised because "War" was announced as an album that honors the heavy roots. But what did we get? A track with clean vocals, well-crafted guitars, double pedals and a soulful vocal chorus that you'll repeat 'til you get to exhaustion (mentally or singing). 

"Ash" reminds me the title track of the album "The World Is A Thorn" (2010) for being very fast and urgent, with a very interesting thrash feeling. "Lesser Gods" and "Close Enough" get even closer to the swedish school of heavy/melodic sound, and the old fans may complain about it, but this style fits Demon Hunter pretty well! "Unbound" and "The Negative" are tracks with a tone of the past of the band and bring us those parts that make us want to go crazy in the mosh pit and those unique and addictive choruses, as usually.

"Peace" is undoubtedly the most experimental work of Demon Hunter's nearly 20 years career. Even with a proposal of something lighter, don’t think that we will have only soft ballads. "More Than Bones" has a modern hard rock climate that is pure delight, being perfect for live and radio plays, the latter feature also applicable to the title track. "Recuse Myself" is very reminiscent of Ryan Clark's NYVES project, with a feeling that is quite alike to Linkin Park's latest album. A welcome surprise was "When The Devil Comes", a very dark country that starts acoustically and grows until guitars and drums show service. It's definitely the best track Johnny Cash has ever written! And closing the regular edition we have "Fear Is Not My Guide", a serene, quiet ballad voice and piano, living up to the history of great tracks with this feeling.

The fact that they have been together for a long time and have recorded and toured a lot has generated a great synergy between the musicians and of course they feel more confident to make their contributions in the material. Patrick Judge attends much more as a composer and making memorable solos such as clean guitar in "Cut To Fit". Jeremiah Scott either as a producer or a musician is already an important piece in the Demon Hunter's gear. The Jon Dunn (bass) and Yogi Watts (drums) duo is ideal for any set because it features musicians of competence and sobriety, yet not trying to show themselves in too much, they play so the team plays well and all that work come out victorious in the end. And all this is led by mentor vocal and lead songwriter Ryan Clark, showing that time only did well for him, whether as a vocalist, dosing aggressiveness well (even if at times being helped by various effects) and smoothness at the right times, or making excellent choruses and vocal lines again, maintaining the excellent tradition that has accompanied the band since its debut in 2002.

However, something must be said. "War" and "Peace" would work well if they combined 14 tracks from their repertoires on a single disc and the remaining ones left for a limited-edition bonus EP or later release. "Two Ways," featured on "Peace" has much more similarities to "On My Side," which is from the "War" album, than the rest of its own record. It has even guttural vocals. "Loneliness" even up with its acoustic part could take place right on the heaviest disc. Okay, it's not a gigantic flaw, but it would be a way to make the most of the repertoire.

The fact that they were generated together provides some interesting easter eggs in the albums. For example, on the covers of "War" and "Peace" we find 2 phrases in Latin and they are quoted in the English version of the opening track of each album. There is also a lyric connection between "On My Side", "Peace" and "Fear Is Not My Guide."

Those who have already accepted that the band will not return to the times and sounds of the first two albums and who likes the way they adopted since 2014 will have 22 more good reasons to rejoice, be sure.

Bonus commentary for a bonus track: "Gunfight" (bonus track from “War”) was a real shot, but unfortunately it remained as an extra stuff. I would lose a tooth at the mosh pit with pleasure if it were performed at the band's shows, especially at the end of the song.

Originally published in portuguese by Metal Na Lata: http://metalnalata.com.br/site/demon-hunter-war-peace-deluxe-edition-2019/
Lex Metalis
Lex Metalis
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down