What out of the ordinary pet would you get if you had the opportunity?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What out of the ordinary pet would you get if you had the opportunity? - Page 2 Empty Re: What out of the ordinary pet would you get if you had the opportunity?

Post by MikeInFla on Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:53 am

He doesnt really play. He digs around, eats then wants to go hide under something. He has a wheel like a hamster wheel but he never uses it. We do get him out every day for a few hours so he will not be afraid of is. And he is getting a bit bigger which means his quills are getting bigger too so you gotta be careful. Any loud noise and he rolls up in a ball. They also have to stay 72-80 degrees so I bought a lizard heat lamp but those get too hot. So I also ordered a thermostat. That's a great way to keep it from getting too hot. It turns on at 74 degrees and them clicks off at 77. And he is mainly active at night.

He does make a noise at the cats. Not really a squeak, kind of a grunt or something.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

What out of the ordinary pet would you get if you had the opportunity? - Page 2 Empty Re: What out of the ordinary pet would you get if you had the opportunity?

Post by Bought4Life on Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:42 pm

MikeInFla wrote:eats then wants to go hide under something.
And he is mainly active at night.
Not really a squeak, kind of a grunt or something.

All of that kind of describes my teenage son   Razz
Bought4Life
Bought4Life
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole on Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:21 pm

Deepfriar wrote:I've heard a de-scented skunk is about the best pet you could have...

Deepfriar wrote:Lol you guys are hilarious.

I'm very curious about a pet skunk. Maybe one day when I have less pets I'll try it.

Yes. ....and me too.

Kerrick wrote:I always thought it'd way cool to have a pet komodo dragon.  I just imagine walking one on a leash through the park hahaha.

I saw a documentary on "strange pets". Sure enough, there's an older couple with with a pet Komodo dragon. The relationship with the "pet" is interesting. No way is it ever "inside" - not even close. When its HUNGRY (every 3 months or so) no person can approach.
Getting close means guaranteed serious injury or death. ...because a hungry dragon has max level rage mode.

....but when dragons are not hungry, they're rather docile. My reaction was Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked as I watched this older lady in her garden, kissing a massive dragon on the cheek.

Fun facts. (at least fun for me to talk about)
- Komodo Dragons have been scientifically proven to be venomous. The thinking used to be toxic bacteria in their saliva. Well, that doesn't help either, but there is in fact venom in their saliva.
- Komodo Dragons like some other reptiles are capable of Gynogenesis. In other words, asexual reproduction. No boys needed for babies.
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:34 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:
I saw a documentary on "strange pets".  Sure enough, there's an older couple with with a pet Komodo dragon.  The relationship with the "pet" is interesting.  No way is it ever "inside" - not even close.  When its HUNGRY (every 3 months or so) no person can approach.
Getting close means guaranteed serious injury or death.  ...because a hungry dragon has max level rage mode.

....but when dragons are not hungry, they're rather docile.  My reaction was Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked as I watched this older lady in her garden, kissing a massive dragon on the cheek.

Fun facts.  (at least fun for me to talk about)  
- Komodo Dragons have been scientifically proven to be venomous.  The thinking used to be toxic bacteria in their saliva.  Well, that doesn't help either, but there is in fact venom in their saliva.
- Komodo Dragons like some other reptiles are capable of Gynogenesis.  In other words, asexual reproduction.  No boys needed for babies.

I knew about the venom thing but not the gynogenesis.  That's pretty wild...  I'm surprised it took scientists so long to find out about the venom thing.  You'd think they would've known that a long time ago but it was only in the last decade or so that that was discovered I believe.  I think the only other venomous lizards are the gila monsters and Mexican beaded lizard (which is a close relative to the gila monster).

As cool as having a pet komodo dragon would be... that older couple you mentioned are crazy!  Not worth the risk...  Death by komodo dragon would not be a pleasant way to go...

Speaking of reptiles, I had some dream last night where some guy had all these exotic lizards and such.  He had tuataras which I've always wanted to see but they're very rare and only found in New Zealand.  Interestingly, they're not a lizard but are of their own order.  And more interestingly, they have a "third eye" on top of their head, though I guess many reptiles and amphibians actually have that too.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole on Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:57 pm

I guess another word for gynogenesis is Parthenogenesis?  Yes, its very wild.  XD

I saw another documentary on 2 female anacondas in a zoo enclosure for a few years and then one day - a baby anaconda.  It was like, 5 minutes of describing what happened, the the rest of the documentary was "zookeeper/scientist confusion".  LOL

Yes, there's very few venomous lizards.  The Perentie and Lace Goanna are venomous as well, but like the Komodo, they're very large monitor lizards.

I was surprised to recently find out about venomous mammals.  I knew about male platypus (platypuses?  platypuseses?) and the Slow Loris....  but had no idea on 5 different species of shrew, 1 mole and the very strange and rare Solenodon.

Ah yes, I think Tuataras are quite adorable.  I did not know they were in their own order though.  I just assumed from looking at pictures of them they were somehow related to iguanas.  XD

I've never seen one either.  -_-
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum