The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What music format do you prefer...

+8
stevegarveyfan
alldatndensum
Frozen Fire
Staybrite
Tombie
mothy
MikeInFla
Soldier777
12 posters

Go down

What music format do you prefer... Empty What music format do you prefer...

Post by Soldier777 Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:32 am

For those of you who collect music, what format do you prefer, CD or vinyl? I have been collecting CDs since 1991 and I have around 330. In the 80s I had a couple of vinyl - Rez Hostage and Daniel band Run From the Darkness but they got lost. I started collecting vinyl in June and I have around 13:

Rez Band: Bootleg

Stryper: Reason For the Season, Yellow and Black Attack 1986 version black vinyl and blue vinyl with the cut cover, Soldiers Under Command, Together As One, To Hell With the Devil angel cover, In God We Trust

Soldier: Beyond Babylon

Crystavox: Crystavox and Crystavox Bottom Line.

I also have on order Petra: Never Say Die, More Power to Ya, Not of This World, Beat The System and Back to the Street

I keep a list of CDs I would like to get but I don’t have one for vinyl. Usually if there is a good deal I will try to get the vinyl format of the CD I currently have and when I buy a newly released CD I may get the vinyl as well.
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

What music format do you prefer... Empty Re: What music format do you prefer...

Post by MikeInFla Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:43 am

Prefer vinyl but mainly because we no longer have a working CD player in the house (not counting the one on the computer). Loaded down with CD's, I probably have 5,000 or more and many of them I have had for years and they still have the shrink wrap on them (granted I did work at a radio station and got tons of free CD's).

Records, I have probably 400-500 and that's more than i had in the 80's. We play them almost daily so I gotta go with vinyl.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:50 am

I know its not the popular option but Ive been digital only for the last 5 years, got 2 kids and always on the go and hate having to switch out physical media. I know the knock on digital is that you can lose quality and have media go corrupt. I store everything in the Google Music cloud and pull down a copy to a external hard drive once a year.

Just cant get into vinyl and wont go back to CD.

just my 2 cents
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Tombie Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:22 am

I have nearly 7,000 albums in various formats but prefer digital. I have over 2,000 CDs and a few on vinyl and cassette. Due to lack of room, I mostly have hard to find, import, and OOP CDs. I rip and download FLAC when available as you do not lose any quality.
Tombie
Tombie
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.deadtoselfradio.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:32 am

Tombie wrote:I have nearly 7,000 albums in various formats but prefer digital. I have over 2,000 CDs and a few on vinyl and cassette. Due to lack of room, I mostly have hard to find, import, and OOP CDs. I rip and download FLAC when available as you do not lose any quality.

Wow FLAC, how much storage would you estimate that takes up?
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:17 am

I'm probably 50/50 between cds and digital.

Vinyl LPs where great in the 80's when I listened to most of my music as teen on my living room stereo or copied them to cassette to play in my car stereo.  But now I listen to 90% of my music while at work and it is completely impractical to drag a turn-table and records into the office.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:21 am

Staybrite wrote:I'm probably 50/50 between cds and digital.

Vinyl LPs where great in the 80's when I listened to most of my music as teen on my living room stereo or copied them to cassette to play in my car stereo.  But now I listen to 90% of my music while at work and it is completely impractical to drag a turn-table and records into the office.

Lol but it would be fun to see. Im with ya I only spam the "Whats listening Thread" from work
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:55 pm

I have CD's. I tossed my entire secular collection after coming to Christ in 09. I have maybe 800 or so now. I only use them for lyrics. I don't use CD's in the car anymore. Every CD is ripped to the computer and put on a USB flash drive for the car. Around home I use the computer or my old 80GB iPod.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.center-cob.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:44 pm

mothy wrote:
Staybrite wrote:I'm probably 50/50 between cds and digital.

Lol but it would be fun to see. Im with ya I only spam the "Whats listening Thread" from work

It would be fun to try, but the people I work with know me too well and none of them would probably even be surprised. lol!
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:48 pm

CD and vinyl. I buy important music in physical format. I have Spotify and I use it only when I run.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tombie Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:57 pm

mothy wrote:
Tombie wrote:I have nearly 7,000 albums in various formats but prefer digital. I have over 2,000 CDs and a few on vinyl and cassette. Due to lack of room, I mostly have hard to find, import, and OOP CDs. I rip and download FLAC when available as you do not lose any quality.

Wow FLAC, how much storage would you estimate that takes up?
one album on average occupies 364 Mb.
Tombie
Tombie
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:26 pm

I do a mix of digital and CD.  I don't get the whole vinyl craze, and I don't understand the resurgence of cassettes, either.  I buy a lot of secular stuff as downloads just because it is easier to find that way.  I don't have the room to store that, either.  With Christian music, a lot of the specialty labels don't release anything but CD or vinyl in limited runs.  So, I buy the CD to ensure that I can get my music back if my hard drive crashed where I ripped the disc to MP3.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegarveyfan Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:44 pm

For collectibility, I prefer vinyl and cassettes.  For practicality, CDs.  For not ever, eight track tapes.
stevegarveyfan
stevegarveyfan
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Tombie Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:29 am

stevegarveyfan wrote:For collectibility, I prefer vinyl and cassettes.  For practicality, CDs.  For not ever, eight track tapes.
What???!??? So are you saying I am wasting my money collecting those? LOL... Not to mention my reel to reel collection.
Tombie
Tombie
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:56 pm

CDs by far.  I almost never buy digital only although I rip my CDs onto my computer/iTunes and use my iPod at work and on long car trips.  I also have a bunch of cassettes that I'm too cheap to replace, but I don't collect them anymore.

I'm in awe of some of your collections.

I'm with alldat, I really don't get the vinyl trend.  I'm not trolling or trying to start something, I just don't understand it.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:03 pm

Digital, since a lot of artists I like cant easily be found in stores (the area I live in doesnt have any real music stores around anyway). I suppose I could go the mail order route, but when I buy an album I like to have it immediately (though I do make sure to preview). I still occasionally buy cds, and I do pick them up when I find them at yard sales or thrift stores or the like. Ditto cassettes, but only if they're a dollar or less. While I do have a decent vinyl collection, I dont really seek it out anymore unless I find something rare.

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:46 pm

I love vinyl and I have about 600 pieces, but my turntable is broken at the moment (and has been for many years) and the reality is I probably wouldn't play 'em that much anyway. They obviously involve more maintenance than other formats (well I guess unless you are Metal Theologian).

I did the toss almost all vinyl thing back in '87ish (although I only had probably 20-30 at the time) and started buying CDs...now have around 900.

I will buy digital if it's the only option for something I like or if its a freebie.

I do rip all my CDs to the computer for backup and listening.

All that said, my favorite is Vinyl but it is so ridiculously expensive and honestly more work than I probably want to put in. Sometimes I wish I didn't want tangible products. It would be so much easier to just have everything on the hard drive...

When it comes down to it, hearing the music is really the point right? So take I'll take it however I can...
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.crucifyd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:03 pm

crucifyd wrote:Sometimes I wish I didn't want tangible products. It would be so much easier to just have everything on the hard drive...

When it comes down to it, hearing the music is really the point right? So take I'll take it however I can...

Truth!

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by HenrikB Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:42 am

I listen to most of my music digitally, but I like having the music I like the most on CD. So what do I prefer? I'd have to say CDs
HenrikB
HenrikB
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down